Pattaya Is Dead Dead Dead

MeetJohnDoe

It's about time many of them started working a bit harder for customers instead of lolling around waiting for a customer to beg for some service. Does 'em good. Can't beat a recession to waken people up.

A lovely theory. Why can't I believe that will happen in practice ?

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree about the restaurants - I live in BKK but have a weekend condo in Patts. The restaurants for me are the best attraction - cheap, various, plentiful and very competitive. Overall better selection than in BKK. But the set menus and buffets are a scourge when it comes to trying to maintain some kind of diet.

Can see that from your picture (avatar)...seems you have problems telling the truth as well :)

I agree about the restaurants - I live in BKK but have a weekend condo in Patts. The restaurants for me are the best attraction - cheap, various, plentiful and very competitive. Overall better selection than in BKK. But the set menus and buffets are a scourge when it comes to trying to maintain some kind of diet.

Can see that from your picture (avatar)...seems you have problems telling the truth as well :)

I can't help it if I've got a big nose can I?

It was sad really...I actually felt sorry for them.. I have never seen/heard desperation like this before in Pattaya/Thailand. :)

They reap what they sow.

I do not feel sorry for any of them. Had they not made it a point to try to milk every baht out of the falang all this time, I would be more than happy to help them out now and be a patron. But forget that.

I agree about the restaurants - I live in BKK but have a weekend condo in Patts. The restaurants for me are the best attraction - cheap, various, plentiful and very competitive.

Glad to hear you say that! I also agree Pattaya is a great restaurant city and getting better all the time, especially when you consider value for money. However, we don't have everything, for example, a really good Mexican place.

Just got a quick leave offered , wanted to go back to Pattaya for a quick couple of weeks , compared prices (she who must be obeyed suggestion)

We are now going to Malaysia & Singapore , one third the price................Free Rooms .....????????? not in Pattaya , no answer to most inquiries

Bigger REAL discounts KL & beyond.

Back in November I hope..

:)

Just got a quick leave offered , wanted to go back to Pattaya for a quick couple of weeks , compared prices (she who must be obeyed suggestion)

We are now going to Malaysia & Singapore , one third the price................Free Rooms .....????????? not in Pattaya , no answer to most inquiries

Bigger REAL discounts KL & beyond.

Back in November I hope..

:)

Thailand's neighbors must be laughing all the way to the bank.

I have never seen a country put so much effort into destroying its tourism sector.

Maybe they actually believe their are no alternatives to Thailand.

Maybe they think they are immune to the laws of economics.

Have a good trip.

I have never seen a country put so much effort into destroying its tourism sector.

Oh well, I guess the TAT is counting on attracting more of the free-spending Indians we see all over town every nite. Even if you leave out the 700 million of them that subsist on less than USD 1 per day, that still leaves 200+ million "quality" Indians to draw from, you know, the ones making $ 5-$ 10 dollars a day :)

When I saw the title of this thread originally, I thought that I might go down to Pattaya for a few weeks if I could get a break on a hotel room, but every place seems to be charging more than they did a year or two ago. I don't see any significant discounting going on down there and everything sounds dead on top of that, so why bother? :) .

Edited by Ulysses G.

When I saw the title of this thread originally, I thought that I might go down to Pattaya for a few weeks if I could get a break on a hotel room, but every place seems to be charging more than they did a year or two ago. I don't see any significant discounting going on down there and everything sounds dead on top of that, so why bother? :) .

You are so right

30 - 100% more than last December & that was Season !#@!#@ <deleted> ???

:D

Oh well, I guess the TAT is counting on attracting more of the free-spending Indians we see all over town every nite. Even if you leave out the 700 million of them that subsist on less than USD 1 per day, that still leaves 200+ million "quality" Indians to draw from, you know, the ones making $ 5-$ 10 dollars a day :)

Oh God, that means soon you won't be able to walk anywhere without somebody shaking your hand and wanting to sell you a suit!

Ive just spent another week in Patts was there for a month in April, and its a fcuken awful place to be for a tourist with it being so quite, hassled at every corner and rude words spoken when you blank people who are shouting at you. I say Mai ao khap to certain people but im not saying it to every single shop i walk past.

This time of year shows the true face of what Thais in the tourist resorts really think of us.

Edited by sanmiguellight

You are so right

30 - 100% more than last December & that was Season !#@!#@ <deleted> ???

:D

:D Try looking here plenty of discounts = www.agoda.com

The thing that made Pattaya nice was the quaint nature of it, yet full service. You had all the restaurants you needed with all the food you needed. You had all the shopping you needed. You had easy transport to BKK and the islands. You had all the nightlife. You could easily walk around, hundreds of outdoor bars to quibble in. A range of hotel quality and prices/

As soon as they started throwing around the words like "better class of tourists", and started tearing down bars on Soi 7 to build new hotels, "that out of place new eastiny hotel for instance, they started hacking away at the allure of the place. Trying to make it an upscale resort area with big condo developments, is killing it. There always was a mix of things for families and adults to do. Then they compounded it with visa changes that make it difficult for some people like me, to fly there on a moment's notice between contracts, and do cheap and easy border runs as needed for one month or two.

The Pattaya beach is crap and filthy. They are trying to put lipstick on a pig. Nobody would or should go there if they are looking for cheap and clean beaches. Pattaya had one heck of a niche in the world, but it is in danger of making it off of many people's lists, or at least making it down the list. I have gone twice a year every year for the last five years. Had been staying up to 60 days a visit. So far this year, I decided not to go back and stayed home and that did not kill me. Gosh I love Thailand and Pattaya, but it is not the same anymore.

I watched hotel prices go up, and business go down. Sad.

I live here in Patters with my familly,well on the outskirts and love it ,but to be honest if i was looking for a high class destination to bring my familly on holiday it certainly wouldnt be here. its a holiday destination for single guys not famillys,as GK10002000 said anything they do is like putting lipstick on a pig.

at the weekend we drove down to Bang Sean and it was heaving with thai weekenders and the beaches were packed,just down the road is the new Central mall ,that was heaving as well .Pattaya? ,well we all know what that is like now ,dead,

Thai response to economic slowdown...business down 50% so much raise prices 100% to make up for it :D

Things are pretty gloomy (just try to ignore the "For Sale" signs on many businesses) at the moment but that's mainly if you are running a business and trying to make a profit. If you are a customer, at least at many restaurants and bars, the values are still there and the workers in the entertainment sector have instituted demand sensitive pricing.

The beaches, golf, and other activities are still here and you better get down here to see the new Central before it predicte collapse :D

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

Things must be very very bad for bar businesses...a friend and I were out on the town last nite in the Soi Diana and the beer-bar complex opposite Mike's Mall on 2nd Road and just about every mammasan/bar manager were pleading with us to come in and just have 1 drink. They all pleaded that they had so little customers and many of them were offering 2 for 1 drinks and one said "any drink for B 60." It was sad really...I actually felt sorry for them.. I have never seen/heard desperation like this before in Pattaya/Thailand. :)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last Sunday at 2 p.m. we were 3 customers at Robin's Nest Soi Bukhaow, used to be full at that time of the day.

As soon as they started throwing around the words like "better class of tourists", and started tearing down bars on Soi 7 to build new hotels...they started hacking away at the allure of the place. Trying to make it an upscale resort area with big condo developments, is killing it.

The Pattaya beach is crap and filthy. Nobody would or should go there if they are looking for cheap and clean beaches. Pattaya had one heck of a niche in the world...

I watched hotel prices go up, and business go down. Sad.

You make some very good points. I have posted a few times in the past about the redevelopment of vast swaths of beer-bar complexes between Beach and 2nd roads (particularly from Central to North roads) into middle to upmarket hotels and nightclubs and who they expect to fill these rooms? The delicate ecology between the bar businesses and the hotels has been disrupted so that now they have all these more expensive hotel rooms, allot fewer bars, and the place is now neither fish or fowl. The punters don't come because the bar-factor is down and the room prices up and the "quality" tourists don't come because there are many other places in Thailand (let alone the world) that have much better beaches.

Of course, we have to consider how much of the downturn is due to the WW depression, the political situation in Thailand itself, and this push for "quality" tourists. My guess is that things will be depressed for some time as all these factors will not resolve anytime soon. Even when the WW economy rights itself, the Western long-haul markets will be in slow-growth mode for years paying back the trillions in debt taken on during the downturn. Taxes will rise and people will be generally poorer (and saving to build back up their retirement savings). Also, there has been a change in attitudes and expensive vacations to exotic foreign countries may be out of fashion (and unaffordable) for years.

Nothing has been resolved politically in Thailand and therefore demonstrations and civil unrest could return at any time. The situation in the South continues to get worse and make headlines internationally. Sure it's isolated for now but could break out to Phuket or Bangkok; and potential tourists back home don't necessarily make a distinction between bombings in the south and Thailand more generally.

As to the push to go upmarket, I agree with Thaimate. I live in and enjoy Pattaya but do not consider it in any way an upmarket beach-side resort destination. If I was cashed-up or traveling as a couple or family, Pattaya would not even be on my radar screen of possible vacation destinations. But you do see such people in increasing numbers year on year so maybe they can get these folks to come...are there enough of them to plug the hole of the punters who we have lost for good to Cambo and the Philippines...time will tell.

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

Did notice that last time the hotel and streets were full of arabs and Indians? or are they Pakistanis? Cant imagine indians paying for a hotel and airfare its no secret how tight with money the are. Come to think of it in BKK I never saw one once on the BTS even. Pattaya is dead and whats that large soi off walking street with the mechanical bull and brand new night clubs ? got to feel sorry for these guys, empty every night

Has anybody noticed that many of the thai establishments are mainly busy???

The karaoki bars and street eating places are packed out with thais.Other than Pattaya and Bangkok are other places in Thailand dead too ???

As far as i am concerned Pattaya is getting better and better to live in,no crowds,less bars,less rif raf tourists.

HEAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You make some very good points. I have posted a few times in the past about the redevelopment of vast swaths of beer-bar complexes between Beach and 2nd roads (particularly from Central to North roads) into middle to upmarket hotels and nightclubs and who they expect to fill these rooms? The delicate ecology between the bar businesses and the hotels has been disrupted so that now they have all these more expensive hotel rooms, allot fewer bars, and the place is now neither fish or fowl. The punters don't come because the bar-factor is down and the room prices up and the "quality" tourists don't come because there are many other places in Thailand (let alone the world) that have much better beaches.

Of course, we have to consider how much of the downturn is due to the WW depression, the political situation in Thailand itself, and this push for "quality" tourists. My guess is that things will be depressed for some time as all these factors will not resolve anytime soon. Even when the WW economy rights itself, the Western long-haul markets will be in slow-growth mode for years paying back the trillions in debt taken on during the downturn. Taxes will rise and people will be generally poorer (and saving to build back up their retirement savings). Also, there has been a change in attitudes and expensive vacations to exotic foreign countries may be out of fashion (and unaffordable) for years.

Nothing has been resolved politically in Thailand and therefore demonstrations and civil unrest could return at any time. The situation in the South continues to get worse and make headlines internationally. Sure it's isolated for now but could break out to Phuket or Bangkok; and potential tourists back home don't necessarily make a distinction between bombings in the south and Thailand more generally.

As to the push to go upmarket, I agree with Thaimate. I live in and enjoy Pattaya but do not consider it in any way an upmarket beach-side resort destination. If I was cashed-up or traveling as a couple or family, Pattaya would not even be on my radar screen of possible vacation destinations. But you do see such people in increasing numbers year on year so maybe they can get these folks to come...are there enough of them to plug the hole of the punters who we have lost for good to Cambo and the Philippines...time will tell.

Good post, John. I agree with most of what you said here. The "mixed bag" of the downtown area is definitely a problem for all concerned now. If there were any intelligent "community planning" capability here, they'd use something like the "zoning laws" that applied in many cities in the USA. They could tailor them to the "lifestyles" expected by tourists, and keep everyone happy. Keep the bars, discos, and massage places with "working girls" restricted to a specific geographic grid; and keep similar venues clear of girls, where less "open minded" couples could go for just drinks, music, and a true therapeutic massage.

The closest that tourists can come to that now is a choice between staying in an expensive resort, with occasional trips to specific entertainment venues; or staying downtown, and having full-time exposure to the more infamous attractions of the city. But, as you said, it's foolish to try to mix the two environments within the same geographic area.

I suspect that the government, no matter who is in charge of it, doesn't want to openly acknowledge a "sin city" section with the type of zoning laws I suggested. After all, we all know that prostitution is illegal in Thailand, and the police are doing their very best to eliminate it. :)

Ohh bloody blimey... :)

INDIAN TOURISM EARNS PRIVILEGED STATUS FROM TAT

India, one of Thailand’s key ASEAN trading partners, was highlighted as a “rising star from the Asian market” by the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) at the Thailand Travel Mart Plus 2009, Bangkok, which finished yesterday, June 8, 2009.

Indian tourists, both private and corporate, are in the fortunate position of being, as the TAT put it, ‘ready and able to travel’, with the necessary wherewithal and inclination to travel. Furthermore, the Indian public does not seem to have been influenced by the recent negative publicity about Thailand and still regards the country as a prime travel destination. Accordingly, the TAT is putting together a special incentive package to further bolster confidence, which will target both private and corporate customers.

www.pattayadailynews.com/shownews.php?IDNEWS=0000009469

India, one of Thailand's key ASEAN trading partners, was highlighted as a "rising star from the Asian market" by the Tourism Authority of Thailand...

Indian tourists, both private and corporate, are in the fortunate position of being, as the TAT put it, 'ready and able to travel', with the necessary wherewithal and inclination to travel. Furthermore, the Indian public does not seem to have been influenced by the recent negative publicity about Thailand and still regards the country as a prime travel destination.

Message to TAT big-wigs...India is not a member of ASEAN!

Translation: We have amazingly found a population of uninformed people who are clueless as to the political strife engulfing our nation and can sell them on the Thailand of 20 years ago. In addition, we think that they want to travel to a country that has very similar cultural background as their own and where many of the businesses are owned by their fellow nationals. Not!

Ohh bloody blimey... :)

India, one of Thailand’s key ASEAN trading partners, was highlighted as a “rising star from the Asian market” by the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) at the Thailand Travel Mart Plus 2009, Bangkok, which finished yesterday, June 8, 2009.

Indian tourists, both private and corporate, are in the fortunate position of being, as the TAT put it, ‘ready and able to travel’, with the necessary wherewithal and inclination to travel. Furthermore, the Indian public does not seem to have been influenced by the recent negative publicity about Thailand and still regards the country as a prime travel destination. Accordingly, the TAT is putting together a special incentive package to further bolster confidence, which will target both private and corporate customers.

www.pattayadailynews.com/shownews.php?IDNEWS=0000009469

Which just shows how empty of ideas the Tourist Authority of Thailand really is.

Since their 'Elite' card fiasco they have thought of no positive projects at all.

Edited by Humphrey Bear

India, one of Thailand's key ASEAN trading partners, was highlighted as a "rising star from the Asian market" by the Tourism Authority of Thailand...

Indian tourists, both private and corporate, are in the fortunate position of being, as the TAT put it, 'ready and able to travel', with the necessary wherewithal and inclination to travel. Furthermore, the Indian public does not seem to have been influenced by the recent negative publicity about Thailand and still regards the country as a prime travel destination.

Message to TAT big-wigs...India is not a member of ASEAN!

Translation: We have amazingly found a population of uninformed people who are clueless as to the political strife engulfing our nation and can sell them on the Thailand of 20 years ago. In addition, we think that they want to travel to a country that has very similar cultural background as their own and where many of the businesses are owned by their fellow nationals. Not!

Hey Jonny, nowhere its written that India is part of Asean, read more carefull. Furthermore you blare out idiotic statements about Indians; being poor etc.. Poor people from Asian countries do not travel, certainly not to Pattaya. Maybe your one of the people that think Pattaya is only for the Northern European, American and Australians, its a different world Jonny, its getting bigger and is not the same as 10 years ago.

Hey Jonny, nowhere its written that India is part of Asean, read more carefull.

Well can you translate the sentence then? Either the TAT highlighted India as being an ASEAN trading partner or the reporter mistakenly made the reference. However, more likely it was made by the TAT official for there is no reason for the reporter to note it otherwise.

And yep...Bollywood movies and fat sari-clad women with dots on their faces don't do much for me.

Hey Jonny, nowhere its written that India is part of Asean, read more carefull.

Well can you translate the sentence then? Either the TAT highlighted India as being an ASEAN trading partner or the reporter mistakenly made the reference. However, more likely it was made by the TAT official for there is no reason for the reporter to note it otherwise.

And yep...Bollywood movies and fat sari-clad women with dots on their faces don't do much for me.

I wonder why they feel the need to target one country.........why not target all countries? Seems like over the past few years they have selectively targeted, in order, Russians, Chinese, and now Indians.

I can understand it in a way, combine the Indian and Chinese populations and you have 1/6th of the human species targeted. Even a small fraction of that total coming to Thailand on vacation results in a large number.

But it seems it would be better to have a more comprehensive tourism campaign.

About Indian women........I have lived there........probably the most beautiful women on the planet are in India.

You have to search for them, but they are there.

And they make fantastic partners for life--as long as they don't get fat and turn you into a "yes darling" puppet :)