Pattaya Is Dead Dead Dead

MeetJohnDoe

so you were sneaking in clubs at 15

A bit younger actually :D :D

Also i though the age for ladies to go to clubs was 20 in Thailand

Nahh, In my years of being here I have only been asked for ID once and that was at Differ one night after they were raided. The clubs in Pattaya don't usually ask for ID from Foreign ladies. Different story in Bangkok though :D Couldn't get into the Bangkok clubs until last year.

There have been a few fatal shooting in thai bars around 3rd road so its doesnt seem that safe to me

The shootings are mostly always gang related.. I don't hang around with gangs or start any trouble with anyone.. I'm no raver, Just used to go out for a quiet drink and a bit of a dance now and then.. If any problems start, I get outta there.. Never had any problems though, ever.

anyway happy 21 st soon.

Thank you! Bangkok here I come! :)

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, where I live in Adelaide, most imported mechandise, hotels and food are cheaper or the same price as Pattaya. Pattaya is cheap for Thailand tourist spots, but its not cheaper than here. Just no GoGo bars and not many lovely Thai ladies here.

I have vacationed on both coasts in Oz numerous times, and all I can say is that Adeleide must be amazingly unique in its cheapness.

I have to use American dollars because the exchange rate changes so much, but the cheapest I could get a crummy, single room in a guesthouse in OZ with the toilet down the hall was about $25 U.S.. I would say I could get a simular guesthouse for about $5 U.S.in Pattaya., but I can easily get a hotel with TV, aircon, private bath and swimming pool for about $14 in Pattaya and it would be far more in Australia.

There may be cheap reataurants in Adelaine, but I can not remember being able to get a complete meal with drink for $1. U.S. in Oz, but I can easily get one in Pattaya at a noodle stall.

I will take your word that imported merchandise is the same price, because that would make sense, but I would guess that you are wrong about food and rent.

For the basics: food (thai food), drink (thai drink), and shelter (no western lodging).. Pattaya is cheap as chips especially if you stay away from Beach/2nd Road. Then nightlife for those who partake in it is rather inexpensive when you compare it elsewhere in thailand.

I was thinking of spending a week in Pattaya. I do love the variety of cheap western restaurants there.

Looking at hotel prices on the internet they only seem to have come down for the high end places. The mid range places seem to have the same prices.

By midrange I mean the Dynasty Inn, which is the same price, and the Whitehouse Condotel, which seems to have reduced its price by 250 Baht a night for the low season.

Although I'll be driving there I prefer to be in the hotels between beach road and second road to make it easy to hop on a Baht bus.

Any really great deals around, as I'm not seeing them?

i went to pattaya in july 2007 although this is defined as the low season the place was buzzing and there was a good atmosphere, i went in july last year and it was a very different scene, to me it seems the honeymoon has ended. a lot of the bars were empty and the prices were inflating dramatically. i also noticed that last year the attitude of thais towards farang's had changed. while waiting outside carrefour for a motorbike taxi two thai lads were slegging a friend of mine little did they know we all have a bit of thai but we never made a fuss.

i think the thai people are sick of the farangs who cheat their women like shit, but they must remember not all of us are out there for sex-tourism.

with the recent recession, political strife and ludicrous visa rules pattaya could struggle to attract visitors.

ill be there in july though.

i think the thai people are sick of the farangs who cheat their women like shit

I wonder why the women are in Pattaya in the first place, do the nice thai people send them there for a holiday by the sea?

I just do not understand why some people think that everything has to be cheap in Thailand. There are transportation costs and customs fees for anything imported and all kinds of taxes. Of course, some things will be more expensive that they were in the country they came from originally. :D

You have gone from saying "people that say Thailand isnt cheap is talking crap to THEN giving examples of why it IS more expensive, and ask "why do people think Thailand has to be a cheap place to live"!!!!

Make yer mind up which is which <deleted> lol !!!! :)

Right, here are some price examples of what i was eluding to earlier (and, btw, these are prices in "Rip Off Britain" i am quoting, and, to save any exchange rate arguments, the rate i will be using will be at the "halcyon days" rate of 70 TBH to GBP).....ready???:

I just packed 2 pair of denim jeans that i bought for the equivalent price of about 200 baht each pair. These were of the same quality and workmanship as those you see in markets and stalls around the town, and probably made in the same factory/sweatshops in the Far East as well and are sold, starting from..........maybe, lets say 450 if you haggle the price down. While i got those, i also got 3 polo type shirts at 3 for 700 Baht. Again, these were of compatible quality as those you see around Pattaya for MUCH more. OK they havent got all the fake labels on them, but still

I also managed to get an unlocked mobile phone for the equivalent price of 800 Baht. Not an all singing, all dancing one, but one i could lose and not care about. I saw the EXACT SAME model on sale in places in Pattaya for a fixed price in excess of 1000 Baht. And, btw, the one here in UK felt a MUCH better quality, i feel.I also looked at an Apple Iphone clone ( the Chinese ones) on sale inPattaya for over 4500, but i was quoted below 4000 for it in UK.

While on the subject of quality versus price i had the pleasure of having a friend and his Thai wife stay at my house for a few months while they sorted out a permanent move to Thailand, which they have now done. While they were with me we all went out shopping together, some of which was for stuff they would put in container and ship out there. That container was full as fuc_k with stuff that SHE (remember, she is Thai and a fiercly patriotic one too) had said is either cheaper in UK, or, if same price of better quality.

I could go on and on listing comparisons, but i think you can NOW see the other side of the coin?

But one last thing to prove a point:

Before i left for UK for my vacation in Thailand/Pattaya, i bought a replica football (soccer) shirt for the son of a friend of mine out here. It cost me the "rip off Britain" price of the equivelant of about 2,000TBH. This was with custom name and numbering on back. It was 100% guaranteed authentic, cause i went to the actual club shop to buy it. This shirt was made in Thailand. I saw a very somilar one on sale in the 2 outlet stores in Walking Street the other night for 900 TBH MORE that i paid for it.......and i have my doubts about the ones in Walking Street being authentic. This was WITHOUT the lettering/ numbering i paid for in the price i quoted earlier.......made in Thailand, transported to UK, sat in an expensive to operate shop and STILL came out cheaper than in the place it was made. Maybe you would like to explain THAT one? Something thats made in a country thats sold in that country at a higher price than another country that its been shipped thousands of miles to

Perhaps you need to get out of the dusty bookshop of yours and make a trip to your home country and see the other side of the coin at 1st hand :D . You may get quite a shock......as i did

And, dont forget this debate was about why PATTAYA is dead. See above for a few examples as to maybe why.

I have been to many places in Thailand and never felt so "ripped off" as i have here in Pattaya of late

Never used to be like that

Penkoprod

if you think pattaya is expensive you should try phuket..its way more expensive for everything

I have been to Pattaya twice in the last month visiting friends, in fact I arrived home yesterday from Pattaya, so thats about up to date as I can be.

It was like being in some sort of Hollywood B movie, day of the living dead, surreal is the only way to describe it.

About 90% of the farang I saw must have been at least 60, I assume these are coffin dodgers who chose to retire there.

Quite comical to watch these people at breakfast as there teerak talks on the phone to her husband.

Somehting else struck me, has a beauty tax been introduced, or have bar fines been reduced for ugly women?

I have never seen so many ugly, overweight, past their sell by date women hanging on the arms of their latest faern.

Where are the pretty women?

Pattaya dead, dont know if rigour mortis has set in just yet, but its certainly in terminal decline.

Waza, I was in Adelaide earlier this year, from what I saw, why bother going to Thailand, Australia offers better value for money, plenty of Asian women available.

Its not only I who feel this way, my brother lives in Adelaide and has visited Thailand many times, he said to me he can have a better time up the Gold Coast and all thats on offer there, and doesnt have to put up with all that travelling to Thailand entails, with he would spend on airfare he can get accommodation, beer and spirits better quality and cheaper than Thailand, <deleted>, there is something wrong when a Thai lady is cheaper in Australia than Thailand.

Why bother coming here?

And, with all due respect, the really good looking girls in Thailand (for the most part, there are some exceptions) get married long before they have to resort to working in Pattaya (this has long been the case).

There is some truth to this, but after they pump out a couple of babies, hubby leaves them high and dry, they slap on a ton of makeup and a few tatoos, hang a cigarette fron the side of their mouth and head to Pattaya to fleece you and I.

Long may it be so! :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

I just do not understand why some people think that everything has to be cheap in Thailand. There are transportation costs and customs fees for anything imported and all kinds of taxes. Of course, some things will be more expensive that they were in the country they came from originally. :D

You have gone from saying "people that say Thailand isnt cheap is talking crap to THEN giving examples of why it IS more expensive, and ask "why do people think Thailand has to be a cheap place to live"!!!!

Make yer mind up which is which <deleted> lol !!!! :)

Right, here are some price examples of what i was eluding to earlier (and, btw, these are prices in "Rip Off Britain" i am quoting, and, to save any exchange rate arguments, the rate i will be using will be at the "halcyon days" rate of 70 TBH to GBP).....ready???:

I just packed 2 pair of denim jeans that i bought for the equivalent price of about 200 baht each pair. These were of the same quality and workmanship as those you see in markets and stalls around the town, and probably made in the same factory/sweatshops in the Far East as well and are sold, starting from..........maybe, lets say 450 if you haggle the price down. While i got those, i also got 3 polo type shirts at 3 for 700 Baht. Again, these were of compatible quality as those you see around Pattaya for MUCH more. OK they havent got all the fake labels on them, but still

I also managed to get an unlocked mobile phone for the equivalent price of 800 Baht. Not an all singing, all dancing one, but one i could lose and not care about. I saw the EXACT SAME model on sale in places in Pattaya for a fixed price in excess of 1000 Baht. And, btw, the one here in UK felt a MUCH better quality, i feel.I also looked at an Apple Iphone clone ( the Chinese ones) on sale inPattaya for over 4500, but i was quoted below 4000 for it in UK.

While on the subject of quality versus price i had the pleasure of having a friend and his Thai wife stay at my house for a few months while they sorted out a permanent move to Thailand, which they have now done. While they were with me we all went out shopping together, some of which was for stuff they would put in container and ship out there. That container was full as fuc_k with stuff that SHE (remember, she is Thai and a fiercly patriotic one too) had said is either cheaper in UK, or, if same price of better quality.

I could go on and on listing comparisons, but i think you can NOW see the other side of the coin?

But one last thing to prove a point:

Before i left for UK for my vacation in Thailand/Pattaya, i bought a replica football (soccer) shirt for the son of a friend of mine out here. It cost me the "rip off Britain" price of the equivelant of about 2,000TBH. This was with custom name and numbering on back. It was 100% guaranteed authentic, cause i went to the actual club shop to buy it. This shirt was made in Thailand. I saw a very somilar one on sale in the 2 outlet stores in Walking Street the other night for 900 TBH MORE that i paid for it.......and i have my doubts about the ones in Walking Street being authentic. This was WITHOUT the lettering/ numbering i paid for in the price i quoted earlier.......made in Thailand, transported to UK, sat in an expensive to operate shop and STILL came out cheaper than in the place it was made. Maybe you would like to explain THAT one? Something thats made in a country thats sold in that country at a higher price than another country that its been shipped thousands of miles to

Perhaps you need to get out of the dusty bookshop of yours and make a trip to your home country and see the other side of the coin at 1st hand :D . You may get quite a shock......as i did

And, dont forget this debate was about why PATTAYA is dead. See above for a few examples as to maybe why.

I have been to many places in Thailand and never felt so "ripped off" as i have here in Pattaya of late

Never used to be like that

Penkoprod

You make some excellent price comparisons re clothes!

But the ladies in rip off Britain are more expensive are they not? Do people come to Pattaya to shop or to enjoy the company of beautiful ladies for a reasonable cost?

Most men don't come here for the shopping lol

I have been to Pattaya twice in the last month visiting friends, in fact I arrived home yesterday from Pattaya, so thats about up to date as I can be.

Its not only I who feel this way, my brother lives in Adelaide and has visited Thailand many times, he said to me he can have a better time up the Gold Coast and all thats on offer there, and doesnt have to put up with all that travelling to Thailand entails, with he would spend on airfare he can get accommodation, beer and spirits better quality and cheaper than Thailand, <deleted>, there is something wrong when a Thai lady is cheaper in Australia than Thailand.

Why bother coming here?

So your brother advised you on all this and still you came?

Having a laugh at the old guys in Pattaya? Yet you talk about how cheap the Thai women are in Aus compared to Thailand?

You're the one that's comical......................mate.

It was like being in some sort of Hollywood B movie, day of the living dead, surreal is the only way to describe it.

About 90% of the farang I saw must have been at least 60, I assume these are coffin dodgers who chose to retire there.

Quite comical to watch these people at breakfast as there teerak talks on the phone to her husband.

Somehting else struck me, has a beauty tax been introduced, or have bar fines been reduced for ugly women?

I have never seen so many ugly, overweight, past their sell by date women hanging on the arms of their latest faern.

Pattaya dead, dont know if rigour mortis has set in just yet, but its certainly in terminal decline.

Waza, I was in Adelaide earlier this year, from what I saw, why bother going to Thailand, Australia offers better value for money, plenty of Asian women available.

Why bother coming here?

why bother indeed ,glad you wont be back.

Why bother coming here?

why bother indeed ,glad you wont be back.

I have been on two months' sabbatical from Bangkok and Pattaya in California. I am ready to come back and I am DELIGHTED to hear that the streets are dead. It sounds like a pleasant change to me.

Why bother coming here?

Having a laugh at the old guys in Pattaya? Yet you talk about how cheap the Thai women are in Aus compared to Thailand?

No my brother didnt advise me on this, I live in Bangkok, and as stated above was in Pattaya visiting friends.

My brother was telling me he sees no need to visit Thailand this year as he can have a better time in Australia, hence my reason for visiting him this year.

No not having a laugh, just pointing out what I saw,if you are one of these old guys, your view may be somewhat diferent from mine. In fact I thought it was pathetic watching some old guy with his teerak at breakfast, they didnt speak one word, she spent the whole time talking on the phone to her boyfriend and must have smoked at least 5 cigarettes in 30 minutes, I am sure he was having a great time.

Comical, heres what comical, was in a shop talking to the owner, in walked one of the quality tourists we keep hearing Pattaya is attracting these days, bar girl in tow, sign in the store, khet plot buree, on the other wall another sign, ham sup buree, being a Pattayan, I am sure you are able to read Thai script, so no need for me to translate.

Owner asks little Lek and the caveman to please leave, caveman takes exception and starts mouthing off, all I hear is, oi mate speak English, didnt know if he was asking a question or making a statement, certainly had no desire to engage him in conversation, by the look of him I assume he had even less of an education than little Lek, replied to him in French hoping he would take the hint, what followed was language more suited to the football terraces, from what I remember it went something as follows, <deleted>***n boxheads, thats all we <deleted>***n need, c*nts like you should stick to your own <deleted>***n country. Classic, only in Pattaya.

Yes Thaimate, you will be glad to hear I wont be coming back in a hurry, must apologise for not saying good morning, you may well have been one of the old guys sat at breakfast.

Why bother coming here?

I've said something like this last year when I was in Pattaya, soooo many old men (Westerners) I was thinking.. where's all the hot YOUNG Westerners at? :) lol

I certainly agree with you guys there are a lot of good points in this conversation. I am wondering how bad it will get in the coming months.

You have to feel for the shop owners in the likes of Central that 18 months ago paid up all that hih price rent etc and have opened thier doors in the worst economic times and Pattaya times ever seen.

Think of all those people who are just about to pay thier final payments on these over-priced condo blocks that are almost finished,Im sure a lot will be up for sale and empty for some time. There will be some good bargains to be had if you want to stay around and risk the next few years here.

I also agree about the Pattaya/Monaco quote it was never going to happen it has been pushed too far and has totally lost the plot.

Ive been coming 12 years and so wish it was like it was back then it really was paradise.

Coffee Club is good food and good value your right as long as they keep thier 2 for 1 because you wouldnt pay thier prices if there was no promotion.

Keep it real guys and lets make the most of the lack of tourists and sales everywhere !!!!!

Why bother coming here?

No my brother didnt advise me on this, I live in Bangkok, and as stated above was in Pattaya visiting friends.

My brother was telling me he sees no need to visit Thailand this year as he can have a better time in Australia, hence my reason for visiting him this year.

No not having a laugh, just pointing out what I saw,if you are one of these old guys, your view may be somewhat diferent from mine. In fact I thought it was pathetic watching some old guy with his teerak at breakfast, they didnt speak one word, she spent the whole time talking on the phone to her boyfriend and must have smoked at least 5 cigarettes in 30 minutes, I am sure he was having a great time.

Comical, heres what comical, was in a shop talking to the owner, in walked one of the quality tourists we keep hearing Pattaya is attracting these days, bar girl in tow, sign in the store, khet plot buree, on the other wall another sign, ham sup buree, being a Pattayan, I am sure you are able to read Thai script, so no need for me to translate.

Owner asks little Lek and the caveman to please leave, caveman takes exception and starts mouthing off, all I hear is, oi mate speak English, didnt know if he was asking a question or making a statement, certainly had no desire to engage him in conversation, by the look of him I assume he had even less of an education than little Lek, replied to him in French hoping he would take the hint, what followed was language more suited to the football terraces, from what I remember it went something as follows, <deleted>***n boxheads, thats all we <deleted>***n need, c*nts like you should stick to your own <deleted>***n country. Classic, only in Pattaya.

Yes Thaimate, you will be glad to hear I wont be coming back in a hurry, must apologise for not saying good morning, you may well have been one of the old guys sat at breakfast.

actually i am an old guy at 64 and i have a 41 year old wife and 15 year old son ,you tend to generalise to much ,but then if your sitting down to breakfast in the bar areas your one of them ,not one of us ,that is the decent residents of our city that do not walk around in singlet,shorts and flip flops with a bar girl on their arms .

by the way they are called tourists. which as you do not live here ,is what you are.

Edited by thaimate

When I fist hit Pattaya a few years ago I looked around at the majority of the punters and realised I was young (45) thin (120kg) and still had my own hair, so I was in fact a sexy man. The down turn in numbers of visitors has keep me in that status. :)

Pattaya is a changing place, unfortunately it's image will take a few years to catch up, and a number of the landlords will take a few more years to realise that it has changed.

I have to admit that I do like the low season (except for the weather sometimes), but owning a business now in town is certainly causing headache.

Hope things will turn better some day soon.

Came back to Pattaya on Monday and took the family out for an evening meal on Second Road.

Driving back up Soi Diana Inn and Soi LengKee there must have been 20 bars open, but certainly not 20 customers. Same then along Third Road and Soi 17, although they are not really bar streets.

Very few customers and the girls tell me that the ratio of drinkers to bar-finers is very poor. No-one earning enough to pay the rent.

Russian travel agency Ananas now seems to be a laundry.

Coffee Club is good food and good value your right as long as they keep thier 2 for 1 because you wouldnt pay thier prices if there was no promotion.

Another great thing about this promo is that if you are a single diner, you can have the 2nd dish as a take-out order ...so for like the pasta dishes (which are easy to re-heat) you get 2 meals for the price of one.

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

I had a look at the Coffee Club menu. Even with the promo deal, I didn't find it compelling. The portions appear small and the pictures of the food look the same old same old bogus Thai interpretation of "Farang" food. They will not last, especially when they drop the promo. Sorry to be brutal but looking forward to the new tenant with a more viable business model. Even with the giveaways, they are doing very poor trade.

A better idea. Coffee yes. Also bake the best bagels in Thailand. Import whatever equipment is needed from the US and get training on how to use it. Offer toppings for the bagels including of course all the classics, cream cheese, lox, corned (salt) beef, smoked fish. Also perhaps five different high quality gourmet western soups (hire a REAL chef) (served in a BIG bowl) every day including two cold soups, a la the New York City "soup Nazi." Maybe cold borscht everyday for the Russians. Some kind of Eastern European knish like offering would be too much to ask ... Plus coffee type pastries. Keep the prices moderate (not cheap) and you've got a winner. In other words: do something original and distinctive that appeals to tourists, and also keep the prices moderate, you almost can't lose. BTW, forget the Thai food, everyplace else is doing it probably cheaper and better than such a place could offer. Focus.

Edited by Jingthing

I had a look at the Coffee Club menu. Even with the promo deal, I didn't find it compelling. The portions appear small and the pictures of the food look the same old same old bogus Thai interpretation of "Farang" food.

Umm...maybe you could actually try the place before condemning it! I mean, those little plastic food models outside every Fuji don't look too appetizing either but the food is actually pretty good (for the price). Likewise, often in places with picture menus, the food tastes better (sometimes worse) than the pictures...so don't judge a place by its pictures.

So far, I have only had the pasta dishes. At least the pasta carbonara dish is a hearty portion and darn good. At the promo price, it's about B 125 a dish (basically for any pasta dish) and that's just about the best deal in town.

The head chef is FARANG for your information, with Thai assistants. Every restaurant in town has to have Thai food for all the tourists eating with their rent-a-girlfriends (and boyfriends). And another thing, I don't give a flying fhuk about borscht.

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

Every restaurant in town has to have Thai food

FALSE.

So would you eat there as often at full price?

I actually thought the choices were stereotyped and boring. I am sick of so many places doing exactly the same thing. Personally if I find a menu boring, I won't even bother trying a place even once. I know many people will, but I still think that place doesn't have a prayer at their normal prices. Also it sounds like your major enthusiasm for the place is the special, limited time, giveaway. Also their coffee drinks are very expensive. There is a McCafe on the other side of the mall.

Edited by Jingthing

A lot of places are dead right now. But it comes down to the simple point - It you don't like it leave, go some place else. And I would guess, economic conditions aside, many people do!