Pattaya Is Dead Dead Dead

MeetJohnDoe

Is Beach Road a good barometer?

I rode down there last night about 10pm and there were literally hordes of ladies there. I've never seen so many.

With lots of bars in some areas laying off girls and even closing, it's not really surprising that they will give Beach Road a go I suppose.

Good news for the Muslims etc. who don't use the bars and the other Cheap Charlies who want to dodge the barfines and get the same lady as last week for maybe half the price? Good idea eh?

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I walk daily up and down Soi 17 - Caddy Shack to Tukcom and back.

So you don't need to run to the darkside - make a good deal within walking distance of Walking Street and Tesco/Outlet Mall. (For me, anyway, it's all within walking distance).

I don't know where Suk Sabai Village is located but those must be some hellava walks...but anyplace that is walkable to both Walking Street and Lotus on Sukhumvit (lets just say at the midpoint between the two) is still a heck of long way from both.

So you don't need to run to the darkside - make a good deal within walking distance of Walking Street and Tesco/Outlet Mall. (For me, anyway, it's all within walking distance).

I don't know where Suk Sabai Village is located but those must be some hellava walks...but anyplace that is walkable to both Walking Street and Lotus on Sukhumvit (lets just say at the midpoint between the two) is still a heck of long way from both.

Dont be such a wimp lol.Not far to walk from soi 17 to Walking St or Tesco Lotus.I walk many times from Pattaya 3rd North to Jomtien and back.

Dont be such a wimp lol.Not far to walk from soi 17 to Walking St or Tesco Lotus.I walk many times from Pattaya 3rd North to Jomtien and back.

Are you guys kidding me...you walk from North Pattaya all the way to Jomtien (including over the hill) and back? You must be very athletic (as well as "hansome") man :)

You must be a fast walker.. Lol.. All the way from North Pattaya to Jomtien? wow.. Thats a long way! It's probably take me all day to get there never mind all the way back again.. :)

You must be a fast walker.. Lol.. All the way from North Pattaya to Jomtien? wow.. Thats a long way! It's probably take me all day to get there never mind all the way back again.. :)

It's not really that far, but it all depends on WHERE in North Pattaya you are talking about. It's only 3 kilometers from Jomptien to the south end of the beach in central Pattaya. It's another 2 kilometers from the south end of the beach to the dophin circle junction. I don't know if that is called north Pattaya or not. It's 2 kilometers from the dolphin circle junction to the highway near the bus station, or 3 kilometers to the Naklua hotel in north Pattaya. That means it's only a 20 kilometer round trip. I'm 69 and have no trouble doing that in a day's walk. I walk from Jomtien into central Pattaya and back all the time. I only take the bus if I am in a hurry to meet someone.

But, my whole life was involved with walking and hiking, so it comes naturally to me.

You must be a fast walker.. Lol.. All the way from North Pattaya to Jomtien? wow.. Thats a long way! It's probably take me all day to get there never mind all the way back again.. :D

It's not really that far, but it all depends on WHERE in North Pattaya you are talking about. It's only 3 kilometers from Jomptien to the south end of the beach in central Pattaya. It's another 2 kilometers from the south end of the beach to the dophin circle junction. I don't know if that is called north Pattaya or not. It's 2 kilometers from the dolphin circle junction to the highway near the bus station, or 3 kilometers to the Naklua hotel in north Pattaya. That means it's only a 20 kilometer round trip. I'm 69 and have no trouble doing that in a day's walk. I walk from Jomtien into central Pattaya and back all the time. I only take the bus if I am in a hurry to meet someone.

But, my whole life was involved with walking and hiking, so it comes naturally to me.

my wife thinks a long walk is anything over 100 yards :) goodness knows how she keeps so thin.

You must be a fast walker.. Lol.. All the way from North Pattaya to Jomtien? wow.. Thats a long way! It's probably take me all day to get there never mind all the way back again.. :D

my wife thinks a long walk is anything over 100 yards :) goodness knows how she keeps so thin.

100 yards - there would have to be a gold shop at the end for my wife to walk that far :D

Not far to walk from soi 17 to Walking St

You are right.

According to Google Earth it's about... 160 m (175 yd)

You only have to cross Pratamnak rd. (2nd rd) and walk along Soi Diamond. :D

... It's only 3 kilometers from Jomptien to the south end of the beach in central Pattaya. It's another 2 kilometers from the south end of the beach to the dophin circle junction. I don't know if that is called north Pattaya or not. It's 2 kilometers from the dolphin circle junction to the highway near the bus station, or 3 kilometers to the Naklua hotel in north Pattaya. That means it's only a 20 kilometer round trip...

Hi IanForbes,

A little lack of precision in your distances.

> 3 kilometers from Jomtien to the south end of the beach in central Pattaya

G.E.: 3.7 km

> 2 kilometers from the south end of the beach to the dolphin circle junction

G.E.: 3.1 km

> 2 kilometers from the dolphin circle junction to the highway

Yes: 2.0 km

> or 3 kilometers to the Naklua hotel in north Pattaya

Yes: G.E.: 2.9 km

Trip 1 : (3.7 + 3.1 + 2.0) x 2 = 17.6 km

Trip 2 : (3.7 + 3.1 + 2.9) x 2 = 19.4 km

Anyway, I hope I will be able to make this trip when I will be 69 too :)

On one particular day I had to go down to Second Road area five times. I totted up the mileage and it came to over 15km.

But if you play half forward in an Aussie Rules Footie team you'll run that in a couple of hours - and get flattened at least a dozen times.

So it's all relative.

In a sober state of mind, listen to the world news or global busniness reports and you will understand the reason for the global (not just Pattaya or Thailand) downturn in not only tourism but business in general. Why blame Pattaya's downturn on all the things you personally don't like about progress in Pattaya. Those of you who wish, hope and pray for Pattaya to return to being a low rent district of Thailand for so many low life foreign visitors are not thinking about what is really best for the people of Thailand. New businesses like Central World are not to attract foreign visitors of any kind but are intended to help improve the reputation of Pattaya and attract Thai tourists. Global economic recovery will be slow and conservative as will tourism worldwide. Pattaya has a chance to improve it's image during this recovery period and I for one support their effort.

New businesses like Central World are not to attract foreign visitors of any kind but are intended to help improve the reputation of Pattaya and attract Thai tourists.

Hence the inflated prices and the void of Thai tourists. :)

Are you lot retired rich or have businessnesses?

Probably mixture of all three

Nope. Just lucking enough to work in an industry that doesn't feel the pain of the current financial situation. So long as I have an internet connection, I'm making money in multiple currencies.

Have a few years left in me before I retire. Though truth be told, I can't ever see myself just not working at something.

In a sober state of mind, listen to the world news or global busniness reports and you will understand the reason for the global (not just Pattaya or Thailand) downturn in not only tourism but business in general. Why blame Pattaya's downturn on all the things you personally don't like about progress in Pattaya. Those of you who wish, hope and pray for Pattaya to return to being a low rent district of Thailand for so many low life foreign visitors are not thinking about what is really best for the people of Thailand. New businesses like Central World are not to attract foreign visitors of any kind but are intended to help improve the reputation of Pattaya and attract Thai tourists. Global economic recovery will be slow and conservative as will tourism worldwide. Pattaya has a chance to improve it's image during this recovery period and I for one support their effort.

You obviously have your own agenda to promote - Puritanical religious nut or prudish feminist NGO? :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

A very very very very young 57 yo too

Are you guys kidding me...you walk from North Pattaya all the way to Jomtien (including over the hill) and back? You must be very athletic (as well as "hansome") man :)

Just very sexy legs lol lol.Good for the heart so good for other things too lol

Suksabai Villa has some very nice houses for rent/sale, as well as the usual grotty ones. So you don't need to run to the darkside - make a good deal within walking distance of Walking Street and Tesco/Outlet Mall. (For me, anyway, it's all within walking distance).

I know Suksabai, has it changed in the last few years, or is it still likely that your house will have been broken into by the time you have walked to the Soi 17/3rd Road crossroads ?

Suksabai Villa has some very nice houses for rent/sale, as well as the usual grotty ones. So you don't need to run to the darkside - make a good deal within walking distance of Walking Street and Tesco/Outlet Mall. (For me, anyway, it's all within walking distance).

I know Suksabai, has it changed in the last few years, or is it still likely that your house will have been broken into by the time you have walked to the Soi 17/3rd Road crossroads ?

Maigo is the most anti farang dude around. It wouldn't surprise me if he says that it's farang doing the breakins.

Edited by LAZYTERRY

Maigo is the most anti farang dude around. It wouldn't surprise me if he says that it's farang doing the breakins.

Farang break-ins have been on the rise. You never can tell unless you catch them red handed or they leave the most valuable items and steal the little things they can sell for cheap and falangs would not bother with.

I just don't get the desire to "improve" Pattaya. It was fine as it was. If you don't like "low life foreign visitors", no one is forcing you to stay. There are hundreds of other towns in Thailand to live in. Perhaps Hua Hin would suit; it's full of pretentious greedy business owners, and I hated the place more than any other resort town I'd ever been in.

The truth is, Pattaya was a popular town due to the night life, not because of the beach, or any other factor, and a bunch of "greedies" decided to make money by piggybacking onto it's popularity, but then decided it wasn't "good enough" for their inflated egos, so the push to "trendify" it. I can even remember many years ago, some restaurant owner idiot who thought that his customers should have to dress up before he'd let them in!

Central World is going to fail, just like The Avenues. Anyone stupid enough to build a place that charges Bangkok prices in a small tourist resort town deserves to go bankrupt.

As for "not thinking about what is best for the people of Thailand", which people are those? Certainly not the thousands of poor people that eke out a living in nightlife related activities in and around Pattaya. I'm guessing that your sympathies lie with the rich of Thailand.

Again, Pattaya became what it is on the backs of poor working girls ( and boys ), and if anyone doesn't like that, or the town, feel free to go elsewhere.

Things change.

San Francisco and Buenos Aires started out as brothel towns and they are now great cities, and both still have plenty of whores.

Pattaya is NOT a small resort town; it is now a large beach resort city. It has probably grown too fast for its own good with no planning. Maybe it needs an earthquake to start over like 1906 San Francisco.

In any case, I think there is a lot of simple minded thinking here. In a real city, there is room for rich and poor people, and always the whores ...

Things change.

San Francisco and Buenos Aires started out as brothel towns and they are now great cities, and both still have plenty of whores.

Pattaya is NOT a small resort town; it is now a large beach resort city. It has probably grown too fast for its own good with no planning. Maybe it needs an earthquake to start over like 1906 San Francisco.

In any case, I think there is a lot of simple minded thinking here. In a real city, there is room for rich and poor people, and always the whores ...

I agree that there is a lot of simple-minded thinking on this thread, but not from you.

You said something people need to understand: "In a real city, there is room for rich and poor people..."

It is the failure to understand this that has led to the downfall of Pattaya-Jomtien w/ its terrible city planning. It is the failure to understand this--coupled with outright xenophobia--that has led to immigration policies that are hurting the city.

The countries in the world with the most tourists understand that a thriving tourists industry is comprised of low, middle, and high income categories of people.

They also understand that the vast majority of tourists will fall within the low and middle income catergories. Why? Because most people are not rich.

If you remove the bulk of your tourists base, you cause harm to the industry.........you cause hotels and restaurants to close.......people lose jobs.

What you don't do is cause a huge influx of rich people to fill the void. That is not going to happen in Thailand.

Pattaya-Jomtien is not Monaco and never will be.

San Francisco, Buenos Aires and Pattaya?

Somehow I think Pattaya greatly fails to be listed among such great cities. Most people outside of Thailand have never heard of Pattaya, and there is a reason for that. Most of the world has heard of San Francisco and Buenos Aires, because they are both world class cities. Pattaya is just a step above being the arm pit of Thailand. It's a fun place, it's a party town and the city itself is a brothel, but lets not make it out to be anything other than it is, a cheap place for guys to retire to and a cheap place for guys to bang cheap brown hookers and drink booze until they drop.

Somehow I think Pattaya greatly fails to be listed among such great cities.

You have to start somewhere and those other great cities also started as whorehouses, that's all I am saying. Starting as a whorehouse does not preclude developing into something greater. BTW, many more people do know the name Pattaya. On CNN this year doing the New Years eve around the world party videos, Pattaya was featured as the Asian party place. It is more up and coming than you think ...

Not surprised by your response though, as if you didn't actually bother to read my previous short post ...

Edited by Jingthing

was last in Pattas for Christmas and it was packed then, but, that was prob due to the fact it was nearly half the cost of anywhere else in Thailand however.

Looks like its the same all over LOS as Ive just returned from Samui and its dead there too - Painfully dead - and as someone has previously mentioned in this thread they have put up their prices to compensate = Such good businessmen...... HA HA.....

I agree with all the points discussed on the cause but I think its mainly down to the trouble in BKK recently = Thailand is on par with Mexico for raised eyebrows when you tell people your going there!!!!

So where is the new inplace in Asia to replace Pattaya as I want to go somewhere in July?? Cambodia? Phillippines?

:)

I just don't get the desire to "improve" Pattaya. It was fine as it was. If you don't like "low life foreign visitors", no one is forcing you to stay.

What a beautiful stupidity. What a nonsense!

Who is forcing Thai people and government to stay in Pattaya?

They hate it and they are doing everything they can to make life miserable for western social rejects. They even resorted to bringing Russians and their families.

Who can tell Thais to leave if they don't like that place in their own country?