Pattaya Is Dead Dead Dead

MeetJohnDoe

I just do not understand why some people think that everything has to be cheap in Thailand. There are transportation costs and customs fees for anything imported and all kinds of taxes. Of course, some things will be more expensive that they were in the country they came from originally. :)

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just do not understand why some people think that everything has to be cheap in Thailand. There are transportation costs and customs fees for anything imported and all kinds of taxes. Of course, some things will be more expensive that they were in the country they came from originally. :)

the fact that the per capita income is so low compared to most western countries means that on average local goods and services have to be cheaper than the West.. Or nobody could afford them and the economy would stall... Yes I know imported cars, luxuries and electronics are more expensive .. That is the result of Govt taxes.. However the cost of manufacturing, employing staff, renting property and much lower utility cost mean that basic staples should be cheaper than the West... I paper notebook produced in Thailand would sell for only a few baht.. The same notebook produced in the UK would have to be more expensive purely because of the labour cost alone.. Why do you think the Worlds manufacturing companies go to Thailand, Cambo, China etc to build factories ? Of course once the economy matures and cost rise they up-sticks and move to the next cheaper country .. and the process starts again... Thai wages have improved in the last 10 years and easier to aquire credit gives the impression that urban Thais are 'better of' but wage inceases haven't kept time with the cost of living.. This is even more obvious in tourist centers like Pattaya and Phuket where land prices and rents have esculated to crazy levels.. Despite all the propaganda to the contrary this is still a developing country with the majority of the population living a very basic lifestyle.. Staples and locally produced products have to be cheaper here than the West.. If they aren't somebody is making a massive profit..

I just do not understand why some people think that everything has to be cheap in Thailand. There are transportation costs and customs fees for anything imported and all kinds of taxes.

All very true...and there is also the issue of the market for many goods and services for foreign tourists and expatriates and all expensive items (imported or not) is very small. Therefore, local production runs are small so prices are high. For the imported stuffs, again, since the market is small, prices from manufacturers and distributors are nothing like retailers/dealers would get in the West.

30 baht an hour for the privilege of dropping my car somewhere while shopping. Yikes. Tell me they at least have some ticket-stamp option ...

Friendship, on Pattaya Tai, has been asking 40 Baht/hour during the recent holidays. :) Car park packed out mostly, too.

Staples and locally produced products have to be cheaper here than the West.. If they aren't somebody is making a massive profit..

Of course, but they aren't the issue. I have a bookshop and many customers complain that English books (new, unused books) are "the same price as back home", but very few Thai people read English books. They are taxed by customs and have to be transported here and cost the same price as in the country they came from. Why would they be cheaper than in the West?

I'm just thinking out loud here; and I'm sure there's no chance that this would ever happen. BUT ...

Would it make any sense for the government to drop, or significantly reduce, the customs taxes and/or V.A.T. on certain items (for example, cameras, computers, imported foods)? They would certainly see a significant rise in the sale of such products here; thereby helping the general economy. Ideally, such tax reductions or eliminations would be applied to items that are not also manufactured in Thailand. And the religious issue would exclude liquor from such a program (although I'd certainly love to be able to buy some decent wine, and bottle of Jack Daniels, for less that the cost of a week's groceries!).

What a load of crap. Thai food is MUCH cheaper than anything in your home country and so are hotels and ladies of the night. What else does a man need? :D

And what part of "like for like" do you have trouble understanding???? :D

Penkoprod

All of it actually. We don't use that phrase where I come from. However, whatever it means, Thailand - in general - is still cheaper to live than any Western country and many items (electronics, cars, etc.) have always been more expensive here. Thailand is not a cheap version of Disneyland for traveling misers. It is a real country where some things are inexpensive and some are not. :)

Agreed.......some things are more expensive, some things are less expensive. But in the not so distant past almost all things were less expensive.

I was talking with a Thai friend the other day and she told me that she thought prices for most things in Thailand were now HIGHER than in Australia.

I thought, impossible..........maybe not. It is odd.......and I think we possibly can agree on this......that prices in Thailand seem to go up as the economy declines.

An average dump hotel three years ago cost 350 to 500 baht in Pattaya-Jomtien........now that same room cost 800-1000 baht. Makes no sense to me.

I'm not sure what hotels you mean but I STILL find Pattaya a bargain for single-men hotels that

are bug free and reasonably comfortable.....

I can name at least two good ones in Pattaya city proper

and one in Jomtien with rooms for 500 to 600 Baht(where I just stayed)

Yes 300 now will get you a fan room at most...

Now Hua Hin on the other hand WILL get you a dump at those prices..

So while there has been some inflation, I do think there is also a lot of exageration.

Try buying a bottle of beer for less than a buck in a 7-11 in Canada some day..

I was in Pattaya last week and, while I wouldn't say it was doing well, it was surviving considering it is the low season before you even factor in the other factors (political strife, economic depression etc). I only ever go in two gogo bars in Pattaya and both of then seem to be doing well to the point that some visits presented no choice of where to sit. Only went in few beer bars and even they seem to be turning over although that's mostly on long term expat friends of the owners.

I went round all three of the major malls. Avenue : early afternoon, very few people at all, signs of terminal decay. Big C : again afternoon, busier than Avenue but propbably on the back of the supermarket, no real change from it's normal state. The new Central : early afternoon, plenty of people but not many shopping I think they were there for the a/c, too new to say whether it will do well but not many shops I'd ever bother with.

Restaurants that I used were all quiet quiet quiet except for Au Bon Coin which is a niche place not dependant on passing trade (unless you are REALLY lost :) ). A bunch of us went to Nang Nuals (not my choice) and they were literally putting the chairs up on the tables around us and it was not much past 11pm.

As has been said comparitive prices vary enormously so you can't really say Pattaya is more or less expensive than your homeland in general. Taking beer prices as one case in point I drank Singha in a variety of places and was charged from 45 Baht (daytime happy hour) to 80 Baht (Brit style pub) through 110 Baht (gogo bar). 45 works out under 2 pound a pint UK price which is cheap but not excessively so. 80 is a little over 3 pounds which you'll pay in many city pubs in the UK but not, yet, in the country. The gogo bar price has no comparison so doesn't really figure. Food, even farang (British) style food, is cheaper. You can get a good breakfast easily for around 150 Baht which is less than you'd pad for a Maccy Dees.

It seems like some of you on ThaiVisa find yourself in a Catch 22 situation. You want prices high to keep the riff raff out of Thailand yet you want the prices low so you can afford your adopted lifestyle. You can't have it both ways. I suppose your nirvana would be one where a global recession forces prices down in Thailand, reduces salaries in the West and is coupled with a worldwide shortage of jet fuel forcing higher priced airplane tickets.

I no longer waste my time going for a night out in Pattaya anymore. Its not as good as it used to be a few years ago. When I am looking for a good time, I head down to Bangkok. What's happening to the place :)

30 baht an hour for the privilege of dropping my car somewhere while shopping. Yikes. Tell me they at least have some ticket-stamp option ...

Friendship, on Pattaya Tai, has been asking 40 Baht/hour during the recent holidays. :) Car park packed out mostly, too.

Usually when I go to Friendship the parking is free as long as I get a stamp on the ticket.

A little bit up the road from Friendship (Towards 3rd road intersection) There is a car park which is I think 20 baht. I think its Tonys car park. I think Friendship also charge on Tuesdays and Fridays because of the Soi Bua Khao market. But you won't be charged if you have a stamp on your ticket (And are probably within some time limit) ..Can't really blame them for doing this though as everyone going to the market would park there if they didn't enforce some charges.

Usually when I go to Friendship the parking is free as long as I get a stamp on the ticket.

Yep, I have never been charged when having a stamp on the receipt.

I no longer waste my time going for a night out in Pattaya anymore. Its not as good as it used to be a few years ago. When I am looking for a good time, I head down to Bangkok. What's happening to the place :)

Why's that? May I ask what exactly you don't like about Pattaya nightlife?

first time i wnet to pattaya was for 3 days back in 2005, was packed

went back again for 2 days in 2008 and just wasnt the same , but i must admit it had cleaned itself up a bit

boater

I no longer waste my time going for a night out in Pattaya anymore. Its not as good as it used to be a few years ago. When I am looking for a good time, I head down to Bangkok. What's happening to the place :D

Why's that? May I ask what exactly you don't like about Pattaya nightlife?

No specific reason really. Maybe I've just been here too long :)

Seriously, In my opinion, the only places where there seems to be a bit of life is the 'girly' area's. Not really the kind of places I prefer to go to really..

RCA in Bangkok is more my style. There used to be some good Pubs down 3rd Road, in which most of them have closed down.. Everywhere just seems dead lately :D

There used to be some good Pubs down 3rd Road, in which most of them have closed down..

I would say burned down might be more accurate...maybe the Thais fear there are too many ghosts in the area now :D

Too much shootings in that particular area would be far more accurate! :)

There used to be some good Pubs down 3rd Road, in which most of them have closed down..

I would say burned down might be more accurate...maybe the Thais fear there are too many ghosts in the area now :D

Too much shootings in that particular area would be far more accurate! :)

Young hoodlums, hi-so pretenders from Bangkok, and other assorted Thai riff-raff taking each other out...I'm all for that :D

That's right, you get a ticket off the security guy as you enter the car park, and then they stamp it at the desk inside when you've done your shopping, but last week they were asking to see Friendship receipts before stamping the tickets. No problem, I was shopping there, but given how quiet the supermarket was I would guess that the majority of people were just using the place as a handy car park. There were big signs up saying 40 Baht/hour, so unless people popped into Friendship to buy something and get their ticket stamped, I assume that they were paying that.

That's right, you get a ticket off the security guy as you enter the car park, and then they stamp it at the desk inside when you've done your shopping, but last week they were asking to see Friendship receipts before stamping the tickets. No problem, I was shopping there, but given how quiet the supermarket was I would guess that the majority of people were just using the place as a handy car park. There were big signs up saying 40 Baht/hour, so unless people popped into Friendship to buy something and get their ticket stamped, I assume that they were paying that.

I think you have to pay for 250 baht to get your ticket stamped. Got no problem with that. It's their land, why should they let people park on it for free. My point was that you shouldn't have to pay for parking if you're spending money in the shop - but it seems Central will charge you regardless....

The original idea of Pattaya & Thailand in general was that they were places to holiday/retire to because of the economic advantage of the 'Home' country wherever that may be. Similar to Spain , Bali , Mexico etc. BUT Pattaya & Thailand in general have become the place where 'Greed is GOOD' & ironically most of it commenced by Farang ripping off their own countrymen & still are.

Now it is inherent within the system from the Traffic stop Brown Shirt to the Media Mogul Volunteer & many other places beckon .

An observation & regretful situation

post-81660-1242314699_thumb.jpg

The original idea of Pattaya & Thailand in general was that they were places to holiday/retire to because of the economic advantage of the 'Home' country wherever that may be. BUT Pattaya & Thailand in general have become the place where 'Greed is GOOD' & ironically most of it commenced by Farang ripping off their own countrymen & still are.

You make a very good point. If and where possible, I try to do business with Thai owned businesses, not only because I generally get good service and value but to support the local economy. I would say around 80% of my living expenditures are with Thai businesses and 20% (basically farang food restos) with fellow-expatriates. Many newbies to Thai have probably heard/read about Thailand being filled with so many scams of one sort or another that they are afraid to do business with Thais...little do they know that it's their fellow (skin-flint) expatrates and farang-owned businesses that they have to watch out for.

The original idea of Pattaya & Thailand in general was that they were places to holiday/retire to because of the economic advantage of the 'Home' country wherever that may be. BUT Pattaya & Thailand in general have become the place where 'Greed is GOOD' & ironically most of it commenced by Farang ripping off their own countrymen & still are.

You make a very good point. If and where possible, I try to do business with Thai owned businesses, not only because I generally get good service and value but to support the local economy. I would say around 80% of my living expenditures are with Thai businesses and 20% (basically farang food restos) with fellow-expatriates. Many newbies to Thai have probably heard/read about Thailand being filled with so many scams of one sort or another that they are afraid to do business with Thais...little do they know that it's their fellow (skin-flint) expatrates and farang-owned businesses that they have to watch out for.

That's an evil statement. Not all Farang business people are bad!

As a resident in Pattaya, I am quite happy with the reduced tourist numbers coming to Pattaya. Of course, if you had a financial interest in tourism or if your employment is tourist related, you may not share my opinion; I understand and accept that.

My reasons, and I admit they are purely selfish, are that the reduced number of tourists means less , there seems to be an inverse relationship between tourist numbers and my quality of life. High season was always a pain (except the weather) with traffic, crowds, litter and usual problems with crowds/drinking/partying; low season was always a joy to drive around, shop, going to beach etc. I know it is selfish but it's my honstly, I am not exactly upset that there are fewer touritst in town.

If you don't like "crowds at the beach, less trafiic jams, less pollution etc...basically the way Pattaya is"

what the hel_l are you doing living in Pattaya????

My advice is to move to any of the hundreds of towns in Thailand that are not like Pattaya.

The fact that Pattaya is dead is no surprise to me. I predicted this 2 years ago, only to be flamed of course.

I used to love the place, but the bad attitude of the Thais there in recent years really put me off as well as the crime. The girls in Pattaya are ugly compared to other places in SE Asia (especially Cambodia) and are getting too old for me. If I want a 30+ year old with 2 kids I'll stay home thanks.

Because there are too many bars, they have a desperation feel about them. Definitely not fun to be in.

The fact that Pattaya is dead is no surprise to me. I predicted this 2 years ago, only to be flamed of course.

I used to love the place, but the bad attitude of the Thais there in recent years really put me off as well as the crime. The girls in Pattaya are ugly compared to other places in SE Asia (especially Cambodia) and are getting too old for me. If I want a 30+ year old with 2 kids I'll stay home thanks.

Because there are too many bars, they have a desperation feel about them. Definitely not fun to be in.

so I take it from your posts that you will be leaving us soon? :)