Pattaya Is Dead Dead Dead

MeetJohnDoe

so I take it from your posts that you will be leaving us soon?

I have spoken to a number of people who live in Pattaya and would dearly love to uproots and leave, not all I must stress, but they say because they cannot sell their properties they cannot afford to do so.

Edited by theoldgit

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that Pattaya is dead is no surprise to me. I predicted this 2 years ago, only to be flamed of course.

I used to love the place, but the bad attitude of the Thais there in recent years really put me off as well as the crime. The girls in Pattaya are ugly compared to other places in SE Asia (especially Cambodia) and are getting too old for me. If I want a 30+ year old with 2 kids I'll stay home thanks.

Because there are too many bars, they have a desperation feel about them. Definitely not fun to be in.

so I take it from your posts that you will be leaving us soon? :)

Already left and glad I did. Sure is a dying city.

The fact that Pattaya is dead is no surprise to me. I predicted this 2 years ago, only to be flamed of course.

I used to love the place, but the bad attitude of the Thais there in recent years really put me off as well as the crime. The girls in Pattaya are ugly compared to other places in SE Asia (especially Cambodia) and are getting too old for me. If I want a 30+ year old with 2 kids I'll stay home thanks.

Because there are too many bars, they have a desperation feel about them. Definitely not fun to be in.

so I take it from your posts that you will be leaving us soon? :D

Already left and glad I did. Sure is a dying city.

so why waste your time posting on a forum like thi,s when you dont like it here????? :)

The girls in Pattaya are ugly [...] and are getting too old for me.

I do agree with you... Yesterday I only find an old one...

She was 21 yo :D

She is the first this month to be over 20 yo... but so lovely :)

You do not like Pattaya anymore ? Ok, go. But stop lying to members :

It still very easy to get a young, nice, no baby, lovely, fun... lady in Pattaya :D

duchovny is right most the girls here are rough ass <deleted> and desperate farang just dont be able to see it, the agogo girls sleep all day so you rarely see them during daylight hours .... the average girls here are too fat, drink too much and smoke, with a few kiddies up in Isaan .... you could have had the equivilant in England quite easy.

I no longer waste my time going for a night out in Pattaya anymore. Its not as good as it used to be a few years ago. When I am looking for a good time, I head down to Bangkok. What's happening to the place :D

Why's that? May I ask what exactly you don't like about Pattaya nightlife?

No specific reason really. Maybe I've just been here too long :)

Seriously, In my opinion, the only places where there seems to be a bit of life is the 'girly' area's. Not really the kind of places I prefer to go to really..

RCA in Bangkok is more my style. There used to be some good Pubs down 3rd Road, in which most of them have closed down.. Everywhere just seems dead lately :D

Sorry for being nosey Meg but i thought you were only 20 yo????

When you say girlies area,do you mean boystown etc where you can see naked guys or go st,or is there a particular place in Pattaya that has the girlies area,very confused??

Also 3rd bars that have closed were mainly for thais so did you go in on your own or with thai girlies/boys,as you are much braver than me to go them places on 3rd road,and i am well arrrrrd.

duchovny and samiguel,do you live here or a holiday monger as your outlook of Pattaya is based on how many ugly bg there are.You must have a very boring life then.Please leave Pattaya then if you hate it that much,will be a BETTER place without numptys like you 2.

Somebody needs to read a dictionary. Dead means it ain't coming back to life. Dying means it is almost dead. That is a far cry from being in a temporary slump caused by a world recession and the normal low season stagnant economy. Dead means there is nothing to do. There is a LOT to do in Pattaya, even when the tourists go home. Certainly some of the ladies go home as well, but there are still many remaining, and more than enough to supply those that want them. Give it a year or so and all the action will start again... and everyone will complain because it's too busy.

If you want to see dead then go to one of those beautiful beaches off the coast of Myanmar. There is nobody there and no action. You might even starve for lack of someone to feed you.

Somebody needs to read a dictionary. Dead means it ain't coming back to life. Dying means it is almost dead. That is a far cry from being in a temporary slump caused by a world recession and the normal low season stagnant economy. Dead means there is nothing to do. There is a LOT to do in Pattaya, even when the tourists go home. Certainly some of the ladies go home as well, but there are still many remaining, and more than enough to supply those that want them. Give it a year or so and all the action will start again... and everyone will complain because it's too busy.

If you want to see dead then go to one of those beautiful beaches off the coast of Myanmar. There is nobody there and no action. You might even starve for lack of someone to feed you.

It is interesting that some people say they now find it "more relaxing." I guess that is because there are fewer people and fewer problems associated with "crowds."

To me, and to many others who have some perspective on the place, Pattaya-Jomtien it is dead in the sense that the relaxed, no problems place of the past is gone, probably forever.

Many will disagree, but 10-15 years ago it was much better.

Yes, I am, why do you ask? (Ok, ok.. 21 in 6 days!)

When you say girlies area,do you mean boystown etc where you can see naked guys or go st,or is there a particular place in Pattaya that has the girlies area,very confused??

Girly area's. GIRLS Go-go Bars, Beer Bars, Walking street. AKA the places guys go to pick up girls.

Also 3rd bars that have closed were mainly for thais so did you go in on your own or with thai girlies/boys,as you are much braver than me to go them places on 3rd road,and i am well arrrrrd.

Anyone can go to those places on 3rd road, I would go there with my Thai/foreign friends.. I don't think it really makes much difference who I go with really.. I've never witnessed any problems in any of those places and had some of the best times ever down 3rd Road... Maybe its because I don't really have any problems with anyone.

:)

Edit: To fix quote boxes..

Edited by Meg_2003

The original idea of Pattaya & Thailand in general was that they were places to holiday/retire to because of the economic advantage of the 'Home' country wherever that may be. BUT Pattaya & Thailand in general have become the place where 'Greed is GOOD' & ironically most of it commenced by Farang ripping off their own countrymen & still are.

You make a very good point. If and where possible, I try to do business with Thai owned businesses, not only because I generally get good service and value but to support the local economy. I would say around 80% of my living expenditures are with Thai businesses and 20% (basically farang food restos) with fellow-expatriates. Many newbies to Thai have probably heard/read about Thailand being filled with so many scams of one sort or another that they are afraid to do business with Thais...little do they know that it's their fellow (skin-flint) expatrates and farang-owned businesses that they have to watch out for.

That's an evil statement. Not all Farang business people are bad!

Never said 'ALL' ------"most of it commenced by Farang ripping off their own countrymen & still are" I will stand by that & I have several business & social associates there & have trust in their advice. In fact one of them in Real Estate lost a deal with me by honestly advising me to wait & only rent when in Patts for long periods for another couple of years. That's Integrity & when we are ready to deal he will get the Biz & he is a Farang.

duchovny and samiguel,do you live here or a holiday monger as your outlook of Pattaya is based on how many ugly bg there are.You must have a very boring life then.Please leave Pattaya then if you hate it that much,will be a BETTER place without numptys like you 2.

I just spent a month there boxing and rarely drank alcohol, so nope no mongering for me .... is it really better without people who keep out of trouble and away from hookers by getting very fit or is it better with people who claim to be football hooligans like you ..... pr7k

You stopped mongering since you married one?

PS ive left the place, so it should be back to paradise

I thought Pattaya was the place for gfe? so far my hand is much cheaper, does a better job, has a bigger vocabulary and doesnt have that glazed vacant look, and Im not the only one, friends I know that have been coming for years are bored with the starfish and going elsewhere now

Edited by rafval

I was last in Pattas for Christmas and it was packed then, but, that was prob due to the fact it was nearly half the cost of anywhere else in Thailand however.

Looks like its the same all over LOS as Ive just returned from Samui and its dead there too - Painfully dead - and as someone has previously mentioned in this thread they have put up their prices to compensate = Such good businessmen...... HA HA.....

I agree with all the points discussed on the cause but I think its mainly down to the trouble in BKK recently = Thailand is on par with Mexico for raised eyebrows when you tell people your going there!!!!

So where is the new inplace in Asia to replace Pattaya as I want to go somewhere in July?? Cambodia? Phillippines?

Pattaya was a sad sight tonight. Was in town this evening, on one of my periodic excursions from the Farside, and wandered about the southern part of town (Avenue Mall and Royal Garden) and then off towards South Pattaya Road. Businesses were open but there was nobody around...the streets were almost deserted and all the staffs were a sorry lot just sitting around in shops and restos with few, if any, customers. Business must be terrible for the owners. Even Micky Ds and the Burger King were doing little business. I went to 3 go-go bars and in two of them, I was the only customer for almost an hour before I left (the third was doing decent business). I know it's a Monday nite in low-season but it seemed to me that I have never seen it this quiet before...and it's only early May...low-season has barely started.

PS: The Coffee Cafe restaurant in Royal Garden (across from Sizzler where Au Bon Pain used to be) is touting a buy-1 get one free meal deal. Buy any entre and a second of equal or lesser value is free. This can be either two people eating separate dishes or a single diner have a starter and main course and the less expensive dish will be free. The menu looks interesting with sandwiches, salads, mains, and pastas. They have the same deal for breakfast (open at 8:00); and also for coffee beverages - 2 for 1. Also, they are promoting that they don't have a service charge (only tax). This promo is running through the end of OCTOBER (low-season).

Maybe people are starting to see Pattaya for what it really is...

Pattaya was a sad sight tonight. Was in town this evening, on one of my periodic excursions from the Farside, and wandered about the southern part of town (Avenue Mall and Royal Garden) and then off towards South Pattaya Road. Businesses were open but there was nobody around...the streets were almost deserted and all the staffs were a sorry lot just sitting around in shops and restos with few, if any, customers. Business must be terrible for the owners. Even Micky Ds and the Burger King were doing little business. I went to 3 go-go bars and in two of them, I was the only customer for almost an hour before I left (the third was doing decent business). I know it's a Monday nite in low-season but it seemed to me that I have never seen it this quiet before...and it's only early May...low-season has barely started.

PS: The Coffee Cafe restaurant in Royal Garden (across from Sizzler where Au Bon Pain used to be) is touting a buy-1 get one free meal deal. Buy any entre and a second of equal or lesser value is free. This can be either two people eating separate dishes or a single diner have a starter and main course and the less expensive dish will be free. The menu looks interesting with sandwiches, salads, mains, and pastas. They have the same deal for breakfast (open at 8:00); and also for coffee beverages - 2 for 1. Also, they are promoting that they don't have a service charge (only tax). This promo is running through the end of OCTOBER (low-season).

Oh and whats that then? :)

And another one! :D

Seesh, If you don't like the place so much, why waste your time posting here?

FASCINATED.

Agreed, I don't really know why they even bother to comment. :D

Pattaya was a sad sight tonight...

I think it's just the severity of the WW recession and Thailand's self-inflicted wounds over the past 4-5 years or so.

My title for this thread may have been a little misleading...I meant it to convey how slow business is at the moment...not that Pattaya itself was in terminal decline or anything.

An inexpensive vacation destination ,mostly for single men, that is not only a bargain, but more fun than just about anyplace, anywhere. . :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

I just do not understand why some people think that everything has to be cheap in Thailand. There are transportation costs and customs fees for anything imported and all kinds of taxes. Of course, some things will be more expensive that they were in the country they came from originally. :D

You have gone from saying "people that say Thailand isnt cheap is talking crap to THEN giving examples of why it IS more expensive, and ask "why do people think Thailand has to be a cheap place to live"!!!!

Make yer mind up which is which <deleted> lol !!!! :)

Right, here are some price examples of what i was eluding to earlier (and, btw, these are prices in "Rip Off Britain" i am quoting, and, to save any exchange rate arguments, the rate i will be using will be at the "halcyon days" rate of 70 TBH to GBP).....ready???:

I just packed 2 pair of denim jeans that i bought for the equivalent price of about 200 baht each pair. These were of the same quality and workmanship as those you see in markets and stalls around the town, and probably made in the same factory/sweatshops in the Far East as well and are sold, starting from..........maybe, lets say 450 if you haggle the price down. While i got those, i also got 3 polo type shirts at 3 for 700 Baht. Again, these were of compatible quality as those you see around Pattaya for MUCH more. OK they havent got all the fake labels on them, but still

I also managed to get an unlocked mobile phone for the equivalent price of 800 Baht. Not an all singing, all dancing one, but one i could lose and not care about. I saw the EXACT SAME model on sale in places in Pattaya for a fixed price in excess of 1000 Baht. And, btw, the one here in UK felt a MUCH better quality, i feel.I also looked at an Apple Iphone clone ( the Chinese ones) on sale inPattaya for over 4500, but i was quoted below 4000 for it in UK.

While on the subject of quality versus price i had the pleasure of having a friend and his Thai wife stay at my house for a few months while they sorted out a permanent move to Thailand, which they have now done. While they were with me we all went out shopping together, some of which was for stuff they would put in container and ship out there. That container was full as fuc_k with stuff that SHE (remember, she is Thai and a fiercly patriotic one too) had said is either cheaper in UK, or, if same price of better quality.

I could go on and on listing comparisons, but i think you can NOW see the other side of the coin?

But one last thing to prove a point:

Before i left for UK for my vacation in Thailand/Pattaya, i bought a replica football (soccer) shirt for the son of a friend of mine out here. It cost me the "rip off Britain" price of the equivelant of about 2,000TBH. This was with custom name and numbering on back. It was 100% guaranteed authentic, cause i went to the actual club shop to buy it. This shirt was made in Thailand. I saw a very somilar one on sale in the 2 outlet stores in Walking Street the other night for 900 TBH MORE that i paid for it.......and i have my doubts about the ones in Walking Street being authentic. This was WITHOUT the lettering/ numbering i paid for in the price i quoted earlier.......made in Thailand, transported to UK, sat in an expensive to operate shop and STILL came out cheaper than in the place it was made. Maybe you would like to explain THAT one? Something thats made in a country thats sold in that country at a higher price than another country that its been shipped thousands of miles to

Perhaps you need to get out of the dusty bookshop of yours and make a trip to your home country and see the other side of the coin at 1st hand :D . You may get quite a shock......as i did

And, dont forget this debate was about why PATTAYA is dead. See above for a few examples as to maybe why.

I have been to many places in Thailand and never felt so "ripped off" as i have here in Pattaya of late

Never used to be like that

Penkoprod

very rarely buy major purchases in Pattaya ,just take a trip to Chonburi ,saved a fortune on tyres for the car.

one thing i will say is that when in the UK i always go to Matalan for t shirts ect ,cheaper and a better fit than here in Thailand

Edited by thaimate

I just do not understand why some people think that everything has to be cheap in Thailand. There are transportation costs and customs fees for anything imported and all kinds of taxes. Of course, some things will be more expensive that they were in the country they came from originally. :D

You have gone from saying "people that say Thailand isnt cheap is talking crap to THEN giving examples of why it IS more expensive, and ask "why do people think Thailand has to be a cheap place to live"!!!!

What are you on about? Thailand is cheap for food and rent. It isn't cheap for imported items and there is no reason that it should be. It's pretty simple. Try using your noggin before, during and after responding. :D

Right, here are some price examples of what i was eluding to earlier (and, btw, these are prices in "Rip Off Britain" i am quoting, and, to save any exchange rate arguments, the rate i will be using will be at the "halcyon days" rate of 70 TBH to GBP).....ready???:

I just packed 2 pair of denim jeans that i bought for the equivalent price of about 200 baht each pair. These were of the same quality and workmanship as those you see in markets and stalls around the town, and probably made in the same factory/sweatshops in the Far East as well and are sold, starting from..........maybe, lets say 450 if you haggle the price down. While i got those, i also got 3 polo type shirts at 3 for 700 Baht. Again, these were of compatible quality as those you see around Pattaya for MUCH more. OK they havent got all the fake labels on them, but still

I also managed to get an unlocked mobile phone for the equivalent price of 800 Baht. Not an all singing, all dancing one, but one i could lose and not care about. I saw the EXACT SAME model on sale in places in Pattaya for a fixed price in excess of 1000 Baht. And, btw, the one here in UK felt a MUCH better quality, i feel.I also looked at an Apple Iphone clone ( the Chinese ones) on sale inPattaya for over 4500, but i was quoted below 4000 for it in UK.

While on the subject of quality versus price i had the pleasure of having a friend and his Thai wife stay at my house for a few months while they sorted out a permanent move to Thailand, which they have now done. While they were with me we all went out shopping together, some of which was for stuff they would put in container and ship out there. That container was full as fuc_k with stuff that SHE (remember, she is Thai and a fiercly patriotic one too) had said is either cheaper in UK, or, if same price of better quality.

I could go on and on listing comparisons, but i think you can NOW see the other side of the coin?

But one last thing to prove a point:

Before i left for UK for my vacation in Thailand/Pattaya, i bought a replica football (soccer) shirt for the son of a friend of mine out here. It cost me the "rip off Britain" price of the equivelant of about 2,000TBH. This was with custom name and numbering on back. It was 100% guaranteed authentic, cause i went to the actual club shop to buy it. This shirt was made in Thailand. I saw a very somilar one on sale in the 2 outlet stores in Walking Street the other night for 900 TBH MORE that i paid for it.......and i have my doubts about the ones in Walking Street being authentic. This was WITHOUT the lettering/ numbering i paid for in the price i quoted earlier.......made in Thailand, transported to UK, sat in an expensive to operate shop and STILL came out cheaper than in the place it was made. Maybe you would like to explain THAT one? Something thats made in a country thats sold in that country at a higher price than another country that its been shipped thousands of miles to

Perhaps you need to get out of the dusty bookshop of yours and make a trip to your home country and see the other side of the coin at 1st hand :D . You may get quite a shock......as i did

And, dont forget this debate was about why PATTAYA is dead. See above for a few examples as to maybe why.

I have been to many places in Thailand and never felt so "ripped off" as i have here in Pattaya of late

Never used to be like that

Penkoprod

WOWWWWWWWWWW,

Jeans and shirts cheaper in the UK,i must hurry back and leave Thailand quickly.So you think people will leave Thailand because its not dirt cheap,you are in cuckoo land.Pattaya is not dead,its just not busy and very nice too.Have you been to nong nooch or pattaya park recently,packed most days.Maybe the days of mongers getting pissed all day/night are going but Pattaya is lovely to live in without the crowds all year.

Yes, I am, why do you ask? (Ok, ok.. 21 in 6 days!)

Girly area's. GIRLS Go-go Bars, Beer Bars, Walking street. AKA the places guys go to pick up girls.

Anyone can go to those places on 3rd road, I would go there with my Thai/foreign friends.. I don't think it really makes much difference who I go with really.. I've never witnessed any problems in any of those places and had some of the best times ever down 3rd Road... Maybe its because I don't really have any problems with anyone.

Edit: To fix quote boxes..

MEG,

the reason i asked is because you said the Pattaya night life scene isnt as good as it was a few years ago,so you were sneaking in clubs at 15 lol.Also i though the age for ladies to go to clubs was 20 in Thailand.There have been a few fatal shooting in thai bars around 3rd road so its doesnt seem that safe to me,but as you have been many times i will have to accept what you say.

anyway happy 21 st soon.

so I take it from your posts that you will be leaving us soon?

I have spoken to a number of people who live in Pattaya and would dearly love to uproots and leave, not all I must stress, but they say because they cannot sell their properties they cannot afford to do so.

Silly to buy property abroad unless your totally commited to the place, which none will ever be. Stay mobile.

Pattaya changing. Yes it does, generally for the better in my opinion. Compared to 10 years ago the city is much more modern (personally I hate 'modernity', reason why I hate to stay for a long time there).

Now not only sexpats and sextourists stay in Pattaya but also couples, Asian holiday makers, Russians etc.. The Pattaya city counsil made a wise decision when they starting expanding to those tourists groups, they diversified.

Ten years ago Soi Bukhao was nothing, let alone the smaller sois inland, now they are packed with bars, hotels etc.. Pattaya became much bigger in 10 years.

The downside is that Thai people often aint pleasant anymore, this applies nationwide and not just Pattaya. Many seem to think the farang is stupid (ok many are, granted) with money and should be helped to get rid of it asap. But not just farang are targeted, they don't trust eachother as much as 10 years ago; stealing and lying among themself is rife.

This country is changing rapidly and not for the better imho, but Pattaya is doing just fine, and once the economic winds blow favourably again all will be fine again, money-wise that is. For the rest Thailand is rapidly becoming a shithole ;-)

MBL

If one of those that want to move should have a jomtien/seaside upper floor corner unit at VT5/7 I'll help them in 4-5 years :) Beach will still be there and with WW recesion, maybe the skyline will be less likely to include even more highrise...

This country is changing rapidly and not for the better imho, but Pattaya is doing just fine, and once the economic winds blow favourably again all will be fine again, money-wise that is. For the rest Thailand is rapidly becoming a shithole ;-)

MBL

Frankly, MBL, that can be said about the entire world today! :)

MBL

Frankly, MBL, that can be said about the entire world today! :)

True.

What are you on about? Thailand is cheap for food and rent. It isn't cheap for imported items and there is no reason that it should be. It's pretty simple. Try using your noggin before, during and after responding. :D

Actually, where I live in Adelaide, most imported mechandise, hotels and food are cheaper or the same price as Pattaya. Pattaya is cheap for Thailand tourist spots, but its not cheaper than here. Just no GoGo bars and not many lovely Thai ladies here.

Edited by waza