Car Prices In Thailand

pagallim

As I have a VW / Audi experienced mechanic who I know, who also can source any part new or second hand then that fear is gone..

Agree about the front wheel drive issue.. But looking at the late 100's and A6's you get an lot of car for the money, in Thai terms..

maybe i can get to know your VAG mecanic too :) I ll start looking for an A6-S6 Avant. Quatro.

Sure if you need him PM me.. I would be a bit more wary of the S6 turbo tho.. That might be a bridge too far..

The older a6 were absolute tanks.. I had one and tried to drive it into the ground and just couldnt kill it. Bit old for 'flash' these days tho..

Edited by LivinLOS

Sure if you need him PM me.. I would be a bit more wary of the S6 turbo tho.. That might be a bridge too far..

The older a6 were absolute tanks.. I had one and tried to drive it into the ground and just couldnt kill it. Bit old for 'flash' these days tho..

Agree with the A6, though again it depends what price a decent used one would be compared to a new local car. If quattro/AWD was essential, I would go the whole hog and get an SUV.

Agree with the A6, though again it depends what price a decent used one would be compared to a new local car. If quattro/AWD was essential, I would go the whole hog and get an SUV.

A used A6 2,4 or 2,8 i see no point in. Would go for a new LOS Accord with similar spec/performance. But a A6 V8 S6 quatro Avant :) ........ No suv frequent on the highway. No brakes, no handling, no power. Been there, done that. I do aprox 35k km highway Hua Hin-Phuket a year. Accord saves me 1,5 hour each time compared to Fortuner, and a lot safer and more comfortable.

A used A6 2,4 or 2,8 i see no point in. Would go for a new LOS Accord with similar spec/performance. But a A6 V8 S6 quatro Avant :) ........ No suv frequent on the highway. No brakes, no handling, no power. Been there, done that. I do aprox 35k km highway Hua Hin-Phuket a year. Accord saves me 1,5 hour each time compared to Fortuner, and a lot safer and more comfortable.

Again, fully agree. Only mentioned the SUV alternative if 4WD i.e. quattro was absolutely necessary.

Again, fully agree. Only mentioned the SUV alternative if 4WD i.e. quattro was absolutely necessary.

Quattro is because (in Audis case) frontwheeldrive cant handle much more than 200 hp. Makes it feel more rearwheeldrive too.

Anybody that buys a European car is an absolute pleb....exactly as the OP states 60k Sterling for a mini, you can pick up a secondhand one in the UK for 3.5k...whats that 175,000 baht... I see Merc 180s at 600,000 baht thats 12k Sterling, same car in UK is 300 quid 15,000 baht.....just dosnt make sense...stay with the Isuzu pick ups...real bargain :)

Anybody that buys a European car is an absolute pleb....exactly as the OP states 60k Sterling for a mini, you can pick up a secondhand one in the UK for 3.5k...whats that 175,000 baht... I see Merc 180s at 600,000 baht thats 12k Sterling, same car in UK is 300 quid 15,000 baht.....just dosnt make sense...stay with the Isuzu pick ups...real bargain :)

We are in Thailand so car prices in the UK are not really the point.... But on that subject here there are 100's of mid 1990's Toyota's For Sale + 1,000's on the road. here you can pick a nice one up for 200 - 250k.... in the UK same year would be 40,000 or less.. as for

stay with the Isuzu pick ups...real bargain
yes on a new one, but second hand?? No idea in the UK but our work horse we change every 4 years, changed to the 'Gold' series on the 28th May last year, the 4yr old with 452,000 km on the clock we got 400,000 baht for.. I feel sure a 4 yr old high mileage would not cost over 7,000 GBP in the UK ??

For me here in Thailand it just doesn't make sense to buy a 1.6 Toyota when for the same price or very little extra you can buy a Volvo, Audi, Saab etc.

Edit: in 2004 bought the top model Honda Jazz a little under 8,000 GBP in the UK would have been just over 12,000 GBP

Edited by ignis

not ANY euro car.. But buying the Euro cars that Thais see as prestige Merc and BMW command crazy prices while others dont.

For me here in Thailand it just doesn't make sense to buy a 1.6 Toyota when for the same price or very little extra you can buy a Volvo, Audi, Saab etc.

Exactly.. The spec level, the depreciation from there, the basic quality.. All far higher for the same money IMO. The one issue is parts / service.. So buying a clean well maintained one becomes more important.

I havent seen any well priced Audis, would be very interested if they are available at reasonable cost...any good websites/dealers you can recommend would be very much appreciated.

What model ?

Loads of A6 For Sale 1995 - 1998 from 170 - 270,000 baht

Bought one last year.. 1st owner 2 years, 2nd owner 9 years, in mint condition full options and new leather for the same price as the 2 same yr Toyota 1.6 Corolla's next to it... at the time was tempted with a 1997 Volvo 850 Turbo, mint condition 1 owner 116,000 km full Volvo service history @ 270,000 baht.

I havent seen any well priced Audis, would be very interested if they are available at reasonable cost...any good websites/dealers you can recommend would be very much appreciated.

What model ?

Loads of A6 For Sale 1995 - 1998 from 170 - 270,000 baht

Bought one last year.. 1st owner 2 years, 2nd owner 9 years, in mint condition full options and new leather for the same price as the 2 same yr Toyota 1.6 Corolla's next to it... at the time was tempted with a 1997 Volvo 850 Turbo, mint condition 1 owner 116,000 km full Volvo service history @ 270,000 baht.

Exactly the model that I think gives the most bang for buck.. Its not flash, its not fast, but its a simple uncomplicated electrically car, that is well speced and built..

And its in the same price bracket as some dire aging hyundai or knackered boy racered up civic..

I have a little VW golf that is getting long in the tooth.. but its just such a good car I am puzzeled by what to replace it by that isnt 4 times the cost..

I was recently at a second hand/repos car auction by Tanachart bank. 3 year old where like 55%. 160 vehicles where sold in 3 hours. Many tent dealers buying.

Was that in Phuket how did you find out about the auction?

Cheers

I was recently at a second hand/repos car auction by Tanachart bank. 3 year old where like 55%. 160 vehicles where sold in 3 hours. Many tent dealers buying.

Was that in Phuket how did you find out about the auction?

Hi Damaz

Yepp in Phuket town. Opposit the largest Yamaha dealer/close to the large sircle with the Thai nightclubs. Lots of pickups and japs/LOS saloons. A thai friend told me about it. Shouldnt be long before the next one, because plenty of repos in this financial climate.

If you hear about the next auction, let us all know as it sounds like a few people here are looking for decent rides.

I will. They start line up the vehicles a few days before auction.

But repos you get no history/servicerecord. One key. Most vehicles 200-400k baht, 1 to 4 years old. Not exactly bargains. I was looking for a newish cheap pickup for construction work, but didnt buy. The Suzuki pickup is only 325k new at dealer, so why would I pay same for a 2 year old repos Mazda?

Last auction # was a 4-6 months old Fortuner, but it was cancelled as the owner probably payed last minute.

I agree with the comments about auction sites, and potential cheap deals. However, for me, if you're considering spending circa 1m Baht on a car. and particularly here, the advantage of a good warranty system is invaluable. Don't get me wrong guys, I've had numerous Audi's, BMW's, and particularly Mercedes (in Europe). I don't want to get into a rating system between marques, however I have to admit to a preference to the overall integrity of Mercedes. That said, (and I'm repeating a previous post), my current Honda Accord is equal to the fit and finish of my last Mercedes (a CLK500).

If you can get a good European model (i.e Audi etc) for a reasonable price, then great. My misgivings would be the subsequent servicing and support (and I'm aware of the 'I know a good VW/Audi Mechanic scenario'). My whole point is 'why'? Are you doing some form of nationalistic statement? If for example, you are a Scandinavian, do you really crave a Volvo? Is it akin to wearing a Tee Shirt "I'm a Viking"? Only joking, everyone is entitled to their own choice, and long may it remain so.

I agree with the comments about auction sites, and potential cheap deals. However, for me, if you're considering spending circa 1m Baht on a car. and particularly here, the advantage of a good warranty system is invaluable. Don't get me wrong guys, I've had numerous Audi's, BMW's, and particularly Mercedes (in Europe). I don't want to get into a rating system between marques, however I have to admit to a preference to the overall integrity of Mercedes. That said, (and I'm repeating a previous post), my current Honda Accord is equal to the fit and finish of my last Mercedes (a CLK500).

Merc do seem to have gone to hel_l in the last 5 years or so.. The old teutonic tanks of the previous era has changed.

If you can get a good European model (i.e Audi etc) for a reasonable price, then great. My misgivings would be the subsequent servicing and support (and I'm aware of the 'I know a good VW/Audi Mechanic scenario'). My whole point is 'why'? Are you doing some form of nationalistic statement? If for example, you are a Scandinavian, do you really crave a Volvo? Is it akin to wearing a Tee Shirt "I'm a Viking"? Only joking, everyone is entitled to their own choice, and long may it remain so.

Why ?? Because of value.. The amount of car you get for xx amount of baht.. I have always been one that would go for the older higher spec motor, rather than buy a nearly new ford buy a few year old merc, etc.. Here Merc and BMW are status cars to a different level, but some other well made, well specced brands are not. I would put any 10 year old honda next to any 10 year old audi or merc and look at the fit finish and expected problems, yet the honda gets more than the audi here..

Plus its nice to drive something thats not just the same as everyone else..

Merc do seem to have gone to hel_l in the last 5 years or so.. The old teutonic tanks of the previous era has changed.

Why ?? Because of value.. The amount of car you get for xx amount of baht.. I have always been one that would go for the older higher spec motor, rather than buy a nearly new ford buy a few year old merc, etc.. Here Merc and BMW are status cars to a different level, but some other well made, well specced brands are not. I would put any 10 year old honda next to any 10 year old audi or merc and look at the fit finish and expected problems, yet the honda gets more than the audi here..

Plus its nice to drive something thats not just the same as everyone else..

I agree it's nice to be driving something different there's some early 2000 model Audi and Volvo for 500 to 600k they look a lot safer with Euro safety standards the norm

I agree it's nice to be driving something different there's some early 2000 model Audi and Volvo for 500 to 600k they look a lot safer with Euro safety standards the norm

I am a huge fan of Euro premiums, but 8 year old safer than a new LOS Accord/Camry? Give me a break. I think my Accord has 8 airbags, and performs very well in every crash test I v seen. Better than a Mercedes C 200 3 year old.

• 2 weeks later...