Convicted Of Cussing; Brit Offender Burrowes To Get Free Tcket Home

CFIT

http://phuketwan.com/tourism/phukets-rude-...ket-ride-11101/

By Alan Morison

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 ALL BEING well at Phuket Immigration, Simon Burrowes flies out on Friday, heading for Britain and home after the holiday of a lifetime in Thailand.

His flight has been paid for by an anonymous Thai benefactor who wants to demonstrate to the world that Thailand is a far more pleasant place than the Burrowes case has made it seem.

The last time Mr Burrowes attempted to catch a flight back to Britain he was arrested at the airport Immigration counter for ''being rude,'' then kept in a crowded Phuket Jail for three weeks.

EDIT: Phuket Wan only allows the use of the first 3 lines and a link to the article - mario2008.

Edited by Mario2008

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if this was posted on the now closed news thread, but this is the convoluted process Mtr Burrowes will endure before being allowed to leave

http://phuketwan.com/tourism/rude-phuket-a...st-simon-11061/

<h1 class="title">Rude Phuket Awakening for 'Impolite' Tourist Simon</h1> By Chutima Sidasathian and Alan Morison

Saturday, May 2, 2009 LEAVING Thailand, it seems, is never going to be easy for British tourist Simon Burrowes. When he tried to fly home back in January, he was arrested at Phuket airport.

Three months on, having paid a fine of 500 baht for being impolite to an Immigration official, all he has to do is extend his visa, and he is free to fly.

Doing that has so far has not proved to be easy.

Edit:

Phuket one only allowes the use of the first 3 lines and a link to the article - mario2008.

While not in any way condoning the treatment meted out to Mr Burroughs, this case simply highlights the fact that when living in and travelling within a third world country, it behoves foreigners to behave at all times in an exempliary manner, especially when dealing with people in authority, and even more especially when dealing with those who have the power to incarcerate, or delay your departure.

It's only common sense. Losing you temper will get you nowhere, and simply inflame the situation.

Wasn't it in Phuket a couple of years ago that some Asian tourists (Korean I think) were refused entry to Thailand for being loud and rude when queueing up at immigration.

For those who are unable to keep their tempers under control, then they had better stay at home.

While not in any way condoning the treatment meted out to Mr Burroughs, this case simply highlights the fact that when living in and travelling within a third world country, it behoves foreigners to behave at all times in an exempliary manner, especially when dealing with people in authority, and even more especially when dealing with those who have the power to incarcerate, or delay your departure.

It's only common sense. Losing you temper will get you nowhere, and simply inflame the situation.

Wasn't it in Phuket a couple of years ago that some Asian tourists (Korean I think) were refused entry to Thailand for being loud and rude when queueing up at immigration.

For those who are unable to keep their tempers under control, then they had better stay at home.

I'm sure your sentiments on Burrowes behavior at the start of his adventure were aired on the prior, now closed thread,

This NEW thread is about Mr Burrowes trying to get out of the country and the travails of his stay in Thailand.

I'm sure your sentiments on Burrowes behavior at the start of his adventure were aired on the prior, now closed thread,

This NEW thread is about Mr Burrowes trying to get out of the country and the travails of his stay in Thailand.

Nope - never saw the now "closed thread" and have never posted on this matter before.

Please don't make assumptions as to my previous posting history, and please don't imply that my comments on the cause of his problems are not relevant - as they clearly are.

Upon reflection, the recent trouble Mr Burrowes has had getting out of Thailand, following his temper tantrum simply go to reinforcing my comments and they are more relevant thane ever.

Problems such as those Mr Burrowes have faced are far from unusual in 3rd World countries, and the best service this thread can do is serve as a warning to others.

Coz you aint gonna change the attitude here, be it the British embassy or the Thai authorities, believe you me. :)

While Mr. Burrows could have shown more restraint in expressing his displeasure, the Thai authorities could also have shown a bit of tolerance. Holding him to the last possible minute, then hustling him onboard his (original) flight might have gotten their message across.

Yes, we all know "This is Thailand" and that we must respect Thai authority, but do those same authorities ever think about the negative image Thailand is sending the world?

... Sadly, I think they just don't care.

His flight has been paid for by an anonymous Thai benefactor who wants to demonstrate to the world that Thailand is a far more pleasant place than the Burrowes case has made it seem.

What a great person! Thanks for the gesture. Nobody is saying Thailand is all bad or all good, but don't expect Simon back here ... EVER.

While Mr. Burrows could have shown more restraint in expressing his displeasure, the Thai authorities could also have shown a bit of tolerance. Holding him to the last possible minute, then hustling him onboard his (original) flight might have gotten their message across.

Yes, we all know "This is Thailand" and that we must respect Thai authority, but do those same authorities ever think about the negative image Thailand is sending the world?

... Sadly, I think they just don't care.

before we start having a go at Thai immigration cause they are such an easy target, lets re-read the one of the few sensible posts about this from the scouser...

from: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Brit-Faces-Y...14#entry2687514

..... the catalyst was the couldn't-care-less attitude of the embassy official who didn't want to delay his early dart on a Friday.

In response to the previous poster who suggests that it is of no concern to the Thai authorities that someone is trying to leave on a potentially forged/counterfeit document, I would only say that s/he has little understanding of the way these things truly work. If a document were to be either forged or counterfeit, and this were to be detected by the UK immigration authorities, the holder would be on a flight straight back to Thailand, whereupon it would be the Thai authorities' problem. They may as well deal with a perceived problem at source, rather than a day later.

Unfortunately, as already established, it was the British embassy bloke who created the whole problem.

SNAFU!

and it was the britsh consul who failed to use common sense in the matter, or even bother to try and do something about it, not the thai immigration officer....

The scouser again:

... In my immigration days, it was indeed through the medium of a simple interview that we would initially determine someone's entitlement to a British passport. It was only once suspicions had arisen that certainty would be established through forgery analysis of the passport.

As "Electra" states, albeit rather obliquely, if the bloke not only speaks with a British accent, but has a geographical awareness of where he purports to live, coupled with general knowledge of the UK, all of which can be established in the course of 5-minute chat, then the chances are he's a Brit. If, on the other hand, he speaks with, for example, a broad West African accent, thinks Big Ben is in Glasgow, and that Tony Blair is the Queen, the chances are he's not a Brit. There you go - problem solved without even looking at the passport.

All thanks to tim lauren, phuketwan, and andrew drummond who have all sorted out the wood from the trees on this saga. the phuketwan website and drummond's blog give the full details based on the actual facts.

some of the posts on the closed thread were very speculative , probably why it was closed. in a case like this checking the facts from other sources before posting is a good idea.

What a great person! Thanks for the gesture. Nobody is saying Thailand is all bad or all good, but don't expect Simon back here ... EVER.

A fact that I doubt even causes a ripple on the pond of Thai consideration for foriegners.

...or just wants to get rid of the uppity bugger. :)

I am glad his way home was paid. I am glad it's over for him. I am sad he didn't have as enjoyable holiday as he was expection. I am also guessing that as he stood in line for immigration to leave, he was very uncomfortable.

Sorry, but the use of the word uppity in this context is RACIAL.

:D

Edited by Jingthing

Where was his return ticket? Did it expire because he was in jail?

I Belive his ticket was Non trasferable So it would Expire along with his Visa

I did read he had 20,000 Baht Overstay fine to pay. Did he realy have to pay for Overstay ? OK I Know TIT

it was a non refundable / changeable ticket

although in this situation, the AIRLINE should have supplied him another ticket

it was a non refundable / changeable ticket

although in this situation, the AIRLINE should have supplied him another ticket

Which airline was it originally?

:)

Jesus H. Christ!

PC Sphincter Police Alert!

he'll probably be back, lol.
WHAT!?

He'll probably be black? That's RACIST! RACIST! Aaaaaaaaaarghh.....ohh!....."back"...er...

Okay.

Carry on.

(Just thought I'd preempt you, Jingthing)

Edited by RusticCharm

Sorry...

Apology accepted.

...but the use of the word uppity in this context is RACIAL.[sic racist? - K.]

B*llocks - Sorry, is that sexist?

The intelligence implied by your avatar is misleading.

No, baldy-lox is not sexist.

Uppity, however, is racial when applied to a black person, and you bloody well know it.

Uppity

Word used by racist old white Southerners to refer to any black person who looks them in the eye. Usually followed by &%(%)

"That uppity &%(%) is not working in the cotton field like he should be."

:D

I've never heard "uppity" used specifically for a black person. Where are you getting this?

I've never heard "uppity" used specifically for a black person. Where are you getting this?

Maybe its an American thing. Use the word uppity in some areas and you will get your ass kicked. Recently Obama was called uppity by Karl Rove when he was running for president. Believe me, that was VERY OFFENSIVE.

Killed for Being "Insolent"

Although rape is often cited as a rationale, statistics now show that only about one-fourth of lynchings from 1880 to 1930 were prompted by an accusation of rape. In fact, most victims of lynching were political activists, labor organizers or black men and women who violated white expectations of black deference, and were deemed "uppity" or "insolent." Though most victims were black men, women were by no means exempt

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/till/peopleevents/e_lynch.html

Edited by Jingthing

Uppity

Word used by racist old white Southerners to refer to any black person who looks them in the eye. Usually followed by &%(%)

"That uppity &%(%) is not working in the cotton field like he should be."

How is "this context"; a Black guy from England at a Thai airport, the same context to a black man in the deep south of the USA?

If you can't figure that out I can't help you. I also assume you haven't been following the reactionary redneck intolerant racist attacks against Simon. Nothing more to say to you. I have proven my point adequately. Cheers.

Jingthing I thing you are getting Upiity. It most certainly is not Racial in any way in England

You know the place you nicked your languge from

Uppity in England would be to say You are getting your Knickers in a Twist.