Car Auction Opposite Tesco

st11x

G'day,

Someone told us about this place and we went to have a look at the cars. They are all 2nd hand cars and some don't even work.

2 days to view starting today but cannot go inside the car. On auction day, they will start up the car and I think that is about it.

Has anyone got any experience with those auctions? Are they trustworthy and can you usually find a good deal?

We went past this 2nd hand car place opposite Waree today and inquired about one of their cars that had been sitting there for the last 6 months since we saw it (so maybe even longer). We asked if we would get a discount if we paid cash, and the reply was their business is good and they are cash rich, so they don't need more cash. They only want to entertain us if we took up a loan from them! If you really want to pay cash, that's 50 K more! Funny logic that is.

Matt

Hi Matt, I went to several auctions at Carrefour and at Big C with the hope of finding a good car. But as you pointed out, there is no pre-inspection and many of the cars barely even start. I found the auction process to be unlike any other auction that I have been to in the USA or Europe. It was confusing and chaotic. Also I did not understand why some people were making sealed and open bids. After going to about 5 auctions and seeing several of the same people there every time winning many cars, I also think that perhaps the auctions may have been rigged.

On a further note, my mechanic said a friend of his won a car at one of the auctions (against his advice) and although it seemed like a great deal, it needed 100,000 Baht of engine work.

I will not be buying a car at one of these auctions.

I spent my entire life making a living as a buyer of second hand cars in America. My life evolved around the car auction 4 to 5 days per week for many many years. I also know Chiang Mai fairly well as I live there 6 months out of the year.

My recomendation to anyone trying to buy an auction car there is NO, you'll get burndt, unless you know how they run their auction and arbitration 100% and also if you speak and understand Thai. It is also a must that you inspect the car inside and out with engine running prior to sale (even then it's fairly easy to get screwed on problems with the electronics, drivetrain and or the transmission).

For 99.99% of the people out there, I would say NO, just back off!

Joe :)

Someone told us about this place and we went to have a look at the cars. They are all 2nd hand cars and some don't even work.

2 days to view starting today but cannot go inside the car. On auction day, they will start up the car and I think that is about it.

Has anyone got any experience with those auctions? Are they trustworthy and can you usually find a good deal?

We went past this 2nd hand car place opposite Waree today and inquired about one of their cars that had been sitting there for the last 6 months since we saw it (so maybe even longer). We asked if we would get a discount if we paid cash, and the reply was their business is good and they are cash rich, so they don't need more cash. They only want to entertain us if we took up a loan from them! If you really want to pay cash, that's 50 K more! Funny logic that is.

Matt

Hi Matt, I went to several auctions at Carrefour and at Big C with the hope of finding a good car. But as you pointed out, there is no pre-inspection and many of the cars barely even start. I found the auction process to be unlike any other auction that I have been to in the USA or Europe. It was confusing and chaotic. Also I did not understand why some people were making sealed and open bids. After going to about 5 auctions and seeing several of the same people there every time winning many cars, I also think that perhaps the auctions may have been rigged.

On a further note, my mechanic said a friend of his won a car at one of the auctions (against his advice) and although it seemed like a great deal, it needed 100,000 Baht of engine work.

I will not be buying a car at one of these auctions.

this really comes from when they sell bikes but

my understanding is all cars/bikes have a reserve, you can get a sheet with the info on including the reserve. you can present a sheet with your name on against a vehicle so if it isnt sold you get it at the price listed. once the bidding reches the reserve the highest wins but the price is subject to vat at 7% plus fees etc. you need id and a deposit to bid.

would i do it, cars no, small bike possibly, i see a lot of thais just trying to get a fairly new bike they can afford at these auctions

When i see the many little care restoration places scattered around the area where i live (it seems there is a whole cottage industry going on) you will be amazed at the old wreck that appears to be a resprayed 10-12 year old car, that reappears in show room condition but sadly in most cases the mechanics and interiors are not up to the same specand dont get the same attention as the body work and i am sure many of these end up in auctions.

I have even seen a newish Vigo looking beyond repair, i can only assume it has been written off by the insurance company and some one has got hold of it and is going to have it back on the road soon or some one is going to buy it.

Every one who says beware and stay away from these auctions is spot on you will end up with a piece of Mutton dressed as lamb, and lamb in Thailand is expensive!!

On a lighter note if i had a 10-12 + year old car and it was mechanicaly sound but the paint was in bad shape i would not hesitate to get it resprayed the cost is incredibly cheep and the paint workman ship is spot on,