Windows And Computer Problem

gennisis

Recently my computer shows the message that I have only 156 mbs of free space ,so remove old programs.

My hard disc is partitioned into 'C" 19.5 GB and 'D" 50 GB and operqates on Windows XP

The Windows programs on "C" are taking 15.1 GB.....to me this seems unreasonable.

Trying to transfer this Windows file to "D" the message is that I cant do it.

Trying to transfer the 1.8 GB program files from 'C' to 'D' the transfer stops saying that some files cannot be tranfsered. I have no large programs.

Does it make sense that the Windows file is so large??

Does it make sense to change the partition ratio?...perhaps to a 50-50 division? and if so how to do. The computer was setup when I purchased it and I have no idea what program partitioned the hard drive.

Your help and advice from you experts out there is requested.

addition to my post:

to give you an idea about size -

my WINDOWS folder reports 2.8 GB size (XP Sp2)

and my "PROGRAM FILES" 11 GB

Vista Ultimate is known for requiring around 15 GB space but you mentioned using XP

OK....thanks....something is obviously adrift here.

Disc 'C' Windows.

size...............16.8 GB.

size on disc.....15.4 GB

22,836 files

1685 folders

Disc 'C' Program files

size..............2.35 GB

size on disc....1,85 GB

22,155 files

2160 folders

To me,the number of files just doesnt make sense ....but what do I know !!

Are you running Vista?

On my Vista x64 partition the Windows folder is about 20GB with 81k files.

XP x86 the Windows folder is 1.8GB with 6k files.

Did you try to drag the Program Files folder to D, or did you cut and paste it? If you did a cut n paste, I'd move the files back as you'd have broken a lot of apps that way.

Hi gennisis You need to run the disc clean up program in system tools. Once it has run the initial scan at the top is a tab for other options. Click here and select to clean up shadow copies and all but the last restore point. You might find this helps a lot as Vista makes regular copies of all discs and several restore points all which take up disc space. Also run add remove programs in the control panel and un install anything you do not run often :) Not sure this will be any good in XP as both Vista and XP mentioned ?

I believe you can click on hard drive and select properties to get a tools menu that allows you to remove unneeded files. Can't remember exact procedure in XP and perhaps it is from control panel. But Windows can get rather large. C drive should normally be rather large as it is default for any programs to install on.

As for size on my current Vista Home computer the Windows folder is 20.4GB and have 67k files in 14k folders.

size on disc.....15.4 GB

22,836 files

1685 folders

My WinXP SP3 uses in the folder Windows about 2.6 GB and has 12.905 files in 1438 folders. Still have IE6 because I use Firefox. This and things like the Media Player can make a (small) difference.

What you can do is to use a graphic folder size display like the program Treesize - I think it is still freeware. It always helped me too find garbage files when I saw some folders were extremely large.

But it could also be that the data structure on the disk has a problem - you can try for instance chkdsk then or a program like Norton Partition Magic. Make a backup before you allow changes...

addition to my post:

to give you an idea about size -

my WINDOWS folder reports 2.8 GB size (XP Sp2)

and my "PROGRAM FILES" 11 GB

Vista Ultimate is known for requiring around 15 GB space but you mentioned using XP

OK....thanks....something is obviously adrift here.

Disc 'C' Windows.

size on disc.....15.4 GB

22,836 files

1685 folders

Disc 'C' Program files

size..............2.35 GB

size on disc....1,85 GB

22,155 files

2160 folders

did you defrag your HDD?

My couple of cents worth :)

Click My Computer - Right Click- Drive "C" - Properties - Disk Cleanup - After its finished calculating how much space you can free up click the "More Options" tap and then "Clean Up" the System Restore (at the bottom) This will remove all but the most recent Restore point.

It's surprising how much space this can free up.

:D

Recently my computer shows the message that I have only 156 mbs of free space ,so remove old programs.

My hard disc is partitioned into 'C" 19.5 GB and 'D" 50 GB and operqates on Windows XP

The Windows programs on "C" are taking 15.1 GB.....to me this seems unreasonable.

Trying to transfer the 1.8 GB program files from 'C' to 'D' the transfer stops saying that some files cannot be tranfsered. I have no large programs.

Does it make sense to change the partition ratio?...perhaps to a 50-50 division? and if so how to do. The computer was setup when I purchased it and I have no idea what program partitioned the hard drive.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

I have used the disc cleanup and system restore...and have gained only 486 mgs.

The problem must be the extrordinary content of the Windows file. I have 15 GBs whilst it seems that others have 2-3 GBs.

I am a little puxxled that it says the windows file contains 22,836 files,but when I access the windows file I count only 54 files.

Whilst I was doing all this I noticed that the Windows file has now increased to 22,837 files???

I,of course am LOST,so I think I will see about getting a local computer guy in ,to see what he can do

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

I have used the disc cleanup and system restore...and have gained only 486 mgs.

The problem must be the extrordinary content of the Windows file. I have 15 GBs whilst it seems that others have 2-3 GBs.

I am a little puxxled that it says the windows file contains 22,836 files,but when I access the windows file I count only 54 files.

Whilst I was doing all this I noticed that the Windows file has now increased to 22,837 files???

I,of course am LOST,so I think I will see about getting a local computer guy in ,to see what he can do

In "normal mode" my 2.8 GB Windows contains 16.000 files

Give it a last try. Reboot into save mode (F8) and check folder size and files.

Guest Reimar

Did anybody of you guy's think about the 2 files with using GByte's of space: Hyberfil.sys and Pagefile.sys?!

Normally that 2 files are hidden and you'll need to set the drive attributes to Show Hidden Files and Folders for to see them.

Some base recommendation for to use Windows XP is a minimum of 30 GBytes while Vista should be 40-50 Gbytes of space on the partiton if the data will be on an different partition. Depending the software/programs using the space should also be larger.

You should have at all times min. 20% of free space on the system partition while working with any Windows version.

Cheers.

C drive does contains a lot of files not just windows system files and program files. By default, your data files will be on C: drive too as well and browser cache files. The Documents & Settings contains a lot of application data which include your emails if you use an email client. It is reasonable that you will end up with heaps of files on the windows directory because of all the update uninstall data. 20 GB for the system partition is not quite enough as I used to think it's the case three years ago.

A few thing you can do:

- 40 GB partition on C: would be a more reasonable these days. you can use some software like partition magic to increase the size of C: by taking some form D:

- move the pagefile to D: drive. you may be able to recover a Gig or two. you need to restart.

- move My Documents folder to D: drive. Windows allows you to do this under the properties page of the My Documents folder. This will not move the application data folder though.

- Clean up temp directory and browser cache. And set the browser cache to a smaller size.

Firstly my thanks to everyone who offered suggestions.

I have now resolved the problem by having a guy come round and increase the partition size of the 'C; disc from 20-40 GBs. I now have 32.8 GBs of free disc space and am only using 6.6 GBs.The used space on dics'D' is unchanged.

What,to me,was very unacountable though,was that prior to the change the Windows folder was 16.9 GB with 22,836 files. In this increased partition it is 3.69 GBs with 17,162 files.

The machine appears to be working OK,but what were the missing files and where have they gone? If I understand properly all I have done is to enlarge the size of the disc'C' not changed or removed anything.

What,to me,was very unacountable though,was that prior to the change the Windows folder was 16.9 GB with 22,836 files. In this increased partition it is 3.69 GBs with 17,162 files.

The machine appears to be working OK,but what were the missing files and where have they gone? If I understand properly all I have done is to enlarge the size of the disc'C' not changed or removed anything.

The person could have deleted the hidden folders with the name like $NtUninstallKBXXXXXX$ (where X is a number). These are created everytime you update Windows, if you initially choose to back up all the old files which were replaced by the update. Since October last year, I have 23 of those folders. There are 146 files in total (76MB). They're safe to remove them.

Edited by agent69