Severance Pay For Nanny Advice

peregrine8

I hired a nanny on a temporary bases and she is not working out. I am now looking for a new nanny. What kind of severance is expected here. I am told just let her go but i do not think that is fare. Any recommendations would be great. I can not give her a reference because she is horrible with children.

Thanks

peregrine8

Depending on how clear the 'temporary' aspect was made when she started, It might be worth ensuring the separation is very amicable.

For example, by saying:

"Circumstances have all changed and we no longer need a nanny", or something similar. This could also help with the loss of face aspect.

My suggestion is one month, which is probably not so expensive for you but means a lot to her to help her move on and shows some caring on your part.

depending on the length of time she has worked.. if more than 3 months, I think then by law you must give a month minimum.

For no drama give her two weeks, if she fusses make it a month, so that she feels she was in control, even though you were planning on giving her a month anyway.

I can only advise on a maid leaving...my wife would insist that she goes the day you inform her or she informs you. Her reason, if you give notice then later you will notice some of your stuff has gone missing. As to payment you have already been given some idea. Hope this helps.