If You Can't Hack It?

Jockstar

Quit or make excuses?  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'll be honest I did teach here for about a year and from the first day to the last it drove me INSANE!

Not just that the kids were a PITA, but the way I was expected to teach sucked big time. Even if the kids were complete little sh*ts and never did any work and then got zero on the end of term test I still had to lie and pass them. :o

I worked in 4 different schools overall so this wasn't a one off. Teaching in Thailand IS just glorified baby sitting, and you can rant at me all you want I only speak from personal experience!

(I admit those who do teach AND enjoy it must have the patience of saints :D )

Er needless to say I quit :D

If you're just referring to a single bad job position, and you can reasonably line up a better job within two months, yeah, go ahead and quit. Make official excuses so it'll look better on your resume, and do your best to get those meaningless but essential 'recommendations' that say, "Ajarn Quitter had a water heart."

But some folks are stuck in Thailand in the teaching 'profession' because they don't have the cash to go home.

It does help to give yourself a reality check periodically. I woke up this week and realized that in the province where I work, there will never be a school that communicates to its farang teachers more than 10% of what it should.

The reason for this thread was someone i worked with. He had planned to leave anyway after the semester.( only 3 weeks to go). He decided for some reason. To make up excuses. No one tells me anything etc. Ranted and raved over the phone to the boss. I dont care if he cant hack it or not. But its only 3 weeks and these kids are great kids. I used to teach them 2 years ago. Its only 3 weeks till the end of the semester. Reports to write. Exams to do and mark. Sounds like he just couldn't handle it and has no respect for the kids. Fair enough if he had a bad class and it got too much. But as i said before they are great kids. The kids are the main thing. But to make things harder for co workers. AAAggghhh! I'll stop now.

I'll be honest I did teach here for about a year and from the first day to the last it drove me INSANE!

Not just that the kids were a PITA, but the way I was expected to teach sucked big time. Even if the kids were complete little sh*ts and never did any work and then got zero on the end of term test I still had to lie and pass them. :o

I worked in 4 different schools overall so this wasn't a one off. Teaching in Thailand IS just glorified baby sitting, and you can rant at me all you want I only speak from personal experience!

(I admit those who do teach AND enjoy it must have the patience of saints :D )

Er needless to say I quit :D

Let me add one more sentence to that..'At the end of the semester'

No matter how much I hated it, I tryed my best not to be an A.hole and leave people in the lurch.

Sure, be as decent as you can. Especially when there's a communications breakdown or total failure at communication, the folks on the other sides don't know what the farang teacher is experiencing. I got hot yesterday and thought of walking in and just quitting cold, but I won't do that. Now I'm considering to give them one week's notice that I'm unable to teach the last 3 weeks of math, and that I'm unable to make most of the final exam for math (3 weeks away). But I'll do it nicely so that they give me one of those nice "Ajarn Quitter and his water heart" recommendations.

I'm such a glutton for punishment that if they asked me nicely and paid me well, I'd consider returning next year for half-time work. I've got good kids, but it wouldn't ruin them if I left early. In some schools (not ours), they're used to farang leaving without notice. It doesn't enhance our reputations as farang ajarns, however. And ranting and raving doesn't work very effectively, especially in Thailand.

Oh Jockstrap, you disappoint me. What took you so long to post this thread in response to me leaving the school.

Perhaps you needed Dutch courage as normal and needed to wait until you returned from another drinking session. Make sure you go to school and not have more alcohol induced ‘sick’ days off.

I think that you need to get you facts straight before you begin slandering on a public forum. What a fool you make yourself out to be, haven’t you learn by now?

People in glass houses don’t throw stones.

This means if you are working here illegally, with no degree you don’t belong here, you’re a fake. You claim to be a teacher but the reality of the situation is this-you’re not a teacher, never will be. You don’t even possess basic education let alone any knowledge to educate others with.

Now lets address the facts…………………………..

I left the school for a number of reasons. It was the system or the lack of it, a complete lack of any communication between the head of Department (someone who should know better) and the teachers. Often we would have exams and it would be the students that would inform the teachers when the exams would be taking place. The teachers were always the last to know. If this sounds like a professionally run school who cares about the students think again. How can you provide the students with a decent education when everything is done on a whim. Plan properly liaise with your staff inform them and then they can plan and organize better, thus resulting in better teaching.

You said that I ranted and raved at the boss. I had for many months complained about different elements to teaching at the school and finally after none of these changes had been implemented I decided that it would be best to vote with my feet. I informed her of all the reasons why I decided to leave, most of which she could have easily changed for the betterment of the students. As always she failed to listen. Her priority is not education but drama. Once a year she holds a musical show on stage which takes a lot of work, the final result is commendable but in order to achieve these results for moths students are removed from the is classroom so that they can practice singing songs. Give the students useful and practical education. They can’t tell the time but who cares; they can sing ‘do re mi’!!!

The reasons that I left is that I care about the students too much, I get involved emotionally and I can see areas of improvement that aren’t being implemented where the children would benefit greatly.

I judge a school and the teachers by this simple question.

Would you put you own child in the school or not?

I think you know the answer.

I’ll leave it at that for now

Personally i'd be honest. But then again. Not everyone is the same.

Ok lets address your points. You WERE respected as a nice guy.

The reason for this thread was someone i worked with. He had planned to leave anyway after the semester.( only 3 weeks to go). He decided for some reason. To make up  excuses. No one tells me anything etc. Ranted and raved over the phone to the boss. I dont care if he cant hack it or not. But its only 3 weeks and these kids are great kids. I used to teach them 2 years ago. Its only 3 weeks till the end of the semester. Reports to write. Exams to do and mark. Sounds like he just couldn't handle it and has no respect for the kids. Fair enough if he had a bad class and it got too much. But as i said before they are great kids. The kids are the main thing. But to make things harder for co workers. AAAggghhh! I'll stop now.

You decided to jump ship and not fullfill your respnsiblities.

Oh Jockstrap, you disappoint me. What took you so long to post this thread in response to me leaving the school.

Perhaps you needed Dutch courage as normal and needed to wait until you returned from another drinking session. Make sure you go to school and not have more alcohol induced ‘sick’ days off.

I think that you need to get you facts straight before you begin slandering on a public forum. What a fool you make yourself out to be, haven’t you learn by now?

People in glass houses don’t throw stones.

This means if you are working here illegally, with no degree you don’t belong here, you’re a fake. You claim to be a teacher but the reality of the situation is this-you’re not a teacher, never will be. You don’t even possess basic education let alone any knowledge to educate others with.

Now lets address the facts…………………………..

I left the school for a number of reasons. It was the system or the lack of it, a complete lack of any communication between the head of Department (someone who should know better) and the teachers. Often we would have exams and it would be the students that would inform the teachers when the exams would be taking place. The teachers were always the last to know. If this sounds like a professionally run school who cares about the students think again. How can you provide the students with a decent education when everything is done on a whim. Plan properly liaise with your staff inform them and then they can plan and organize better, thus resulting in better teaching. 

You said that I ranted and raved at the boss. I had for many months complained about different elements to teaching at the school and finally after none of these changes had been implemented I decided that it would be best to vote with my feet. I informed her of all the reasons why I decided to leave, most of which she could have easily changed for the betterment of the students. As always she failed to listen. Her priority is not education but drama. Once a year she holds a musical show on stage which takes a lot of work, the final result is commendable but in order to achieve these results for moths students are removed from the is classroom so that they can practice singing songs. Give the students useful and practical education. They can’t tell the time but who cares; they can sing ‘do re mi’!!! 

The reasons that I left is that I care about the students too much, I get involved emotionally and I can see areas of improvement that aren’t being implemented where the children would benefit greatly.

I judge a school and the teachers by this simple question.

Would you put you own child in the school or not?

I think you know the answer.

I’ll leave it at that for now

I think my facts were right. You left the school due the the system or lack of it. Welcome to Thailand my friend! I personally always knew when the exams were. Maybe you didn't. Not anyones fault except your own. The head of department as you said is not passing on info regarding information. I dissagree.She Is one of the most straight talking no bullshite boss you could get. I know i've worked under many ######s. You said that you complained about many aspects of the job. Once again my friend. Welcome to Thailand. The reason that you left was because your cared sooooooo much about the students. Sorry this just doesnt wash. If you cared about the kids then you would still be there. I'm not gonna get into a slagging match with you. But you were well liked at school.You were thought as a nice guy. I had heaps of time for you. But the fact that you let things get on top off you. Personally what you did wasn't professional. If i had been in your position. Then i would have done things alot differently. I think you are too emotional..I'll leave it at that now. :o

Another thing. I don't need Dutch courage. I'll say it as it is. If ya dont like that. Not my problem. If i have upset ya. Then i apologise. But take a look at the big picture and not just think of yourself.

Edited by Jockstar

As for me not being a teacher. Look the facts. I've been a here a few years and I AM respected for the great job i do. I dont have the basic education let alone the knowledge tp educate others. mmmm. Mate i'm British Council trained. What are you? I've been in the real world for a long time. Not pretending to be something i'm not. What about you?If you want to speak to me about this then just call me and i'll tell you the same. Dont try and blame others for your shortcomings..

Again your comments are contradictive. I said my previous post that there was a complete absence of any communication between the head of department and the teachers and then you response is to state that it was my own fault for know knowing when the exams were taking place. Just read between the lines, a teacher, irrelevant who it may be, is not informed when the exams are and it’s their own fault for not being informed. Is this Scottish logic????

Obvious communication breakdown.

You then say that the boss is the most straight talking people you have worked under and welcome to Thailand. Here you have two opposites. Either the boss is informative (incorrect) or welcome to Thailand but Jockstar you can’t have both.

I come from the management field where obvious lapses in common sense are acted upon immediately and communication is one of the key elements of the business. Once a month we used to have a meeting to discuss any difficulties that arose during the previous month.

This is so god ###### basic. And be honest Education in Thailand is a business.

Whatever you think I do care about the kids, one of the reasons why I left. I was not willing to stand by and watch the children learn in a ‘willy nilly’ atmosphere. The school has great potential but it has no system.

You like the boss because you can go home early, she’s easy on you, allows you a full week off to make 3 day visa runs but try to implement obvious changes that will be better for the children, almost impossible. You dislike me leaving, not because you’re concerned about the students but because temporarily you have an extra workload.

The boss is not all bad, she has some very good traits but is stubborn, her decision is final as is the right of any boss but we are not discussing manufacturing of some product or other. We are talking about the future of the children that you claim to care for but are willing to defend the one person that can improve their future.

Yes, I care for the children, greatly, more than you comprehend. Don’t try to make me out to be some ogre.

Finally, I reiliterate what I said earlier.

You are not a teacher. Claim to be otherwise you are more of a fool than I thought. You, a non degree holder, with only a two week British Council teaching certificate. I ask you again where are your qualifications?

You say that you’re respected as a teacher. I think not, try to teach in Canada, UK America or ant western country and you would be laughed at.

You are only respected as you call it (if respect means people slagging you off as soon as your back is turned) by those in exactly the same boat as you.

Lastly, I have been honest in all aspects. I gave the boss numerous opportunities to make the changes I felt were necessary. These changes weren’t implemented so eventually I left. I would have preferred my departure to be less dramatic but feel that I have done the right thing. I would have never brought this subject into the open forum for others to read had you not placed your original posting Jockstar. However bad the school is I believe greatly in confidentiality.

As you know we’re moving back to the UK shortly.

Despite our differences, Good Luck to you and your ‘other half’ and the best of luck in Australia.

Byee for now.

These kinds of threads, while amusing for those of us not involved, generally have the effect of making all the partisans look worse for the effort.

As a matter of professionalism, the manner of leaving should be determined in the contract. I think it should be clearly spelled out how much notice should be given, and this should be the SAME for both the school and the teacher. If the school wants 3 months notice, they should give the same advance notice to the teacher. Few schools do. In countries with proper union and labor laws, there are often legal limits on the notice that can be required [for example, in Japan by union common law notice for a job you've worked in for 3 years or more is only required to be two weeks regardless of the contract].

There are enough examples of schools screwing their teachers (by firing them or not paying them for the term holiday) after getting their grade reports in that I frankly have limited sympathy for the schools for having teachers get revenge by quitting ahead of exams. However, both behaviors are unprofessional.

Suggest you two gents both quit while you're behind.

"Steven"

Lets put this to bed now. No point in slagging each other off anymore. I would just like to wish you and all the family all the best back in the UK. I truelly hope it all works out fine for you. Send my love to the missus. And all the best. As i started this thread. I am asking one of the mods to close it. Thanks.