Khun Khantoke

jasreeve18

Has anyone else been?

Cost about 400 baht (not including alcoholic beverages).

Usually I avoid these places like the plague (and have heard there are other awful tourist trap venues in CM), but this place was excellent. Full of Thias which had to be a positive sign. The dancers and music players actually appeared to be enjoying themselves, the food was nice (and abundant), the place itself was beautiful, the tables (with sunken centres for your feet) were comfortable, the show was very enjoyable with 7 or eight different dances / stories, the costumes looked lovely, the ladies performing were very nice (and the boys too, I'm sure...), photos taken were good shots (nicely framed) and oly 100 baht. After the show their was a little market and the performers were out and about being very sociable - especially a ram (liked the Japanese ladies I noticed).

I'm usually pretty miserable at these so called 'cultural' evenings, but I enjoyed myself so much I even got up for a dance towards the end of the show (may post a picture, not sure...).

A very good place that offers a really enjoyable evening out.

The only negative was the tuktuk driver (working on commission, no doubt) who tried to take us to another place (even though we had written down the name and location of the place for him in Thai) which was clearly touristy and well, lesser. Once we realised we called him back and headed off to the proper Khun Khantoke where we luckily arrived with 5 minutes to spare.

I'm looking forward to returning and would suggest you give it a try too.

Has anybody else been (you CMites must of?) and how did you find it?

i find this is my "take the new visitor to chiangmai" venue so i go a number of times a year and i still quite enjoy it and my guests, friends and family always have a great time as long as i remind them to use the mozzi spray prior to going as the buggers know you are helpless with your legs in the pit. i guess you could get a poor seat / table to see things but generally i find you can see the show ok. booze is expensive but is to be expected. i also like the fact that it finishes early so you can go to the pub after!

Edited by alant

I think it's actually called Khum Kantoke, and yes, the show and the setting are excellent. We went as a works party (about 60 of us) and everyone was impressed, EXCEPT the beer was so extraordinarily expensive that we all refused to buy it on principle (the principle of not liking people taking the piss out of us) - 150Baht for a small bottle of Singha is just ridiculous... especially when you are right next to the German Brewery where quality draught beer can be had for reasonable(ish) prices!

It is true that it finishes early enough that you can go elsewhere for a beer; but why such ridiculous beer prices? It's not that we couldn't afford 300Baht for a couple of small bottles - we just refused to pay it. Unfortunately the prices created a lot of negative feeling amongst our group, tarnishing an otherwise very pleasant evening and meaning that most won't go back. If anyone knows the owners perhaps they can pass this on!

PS there were lots of Thais there - but they, of course, weren't drinking either at those prices...

I've been there several times but I prefer the Kantoke at the Chiang Mai Cultural Center on the way to the airport. The show is better IMHO and most Thai people I have been with say the food is better there as well. There are actually two shows; one during dinner and one after, outside. Many people don't realize there is another show outside and leave before.

Khum Kantoke is more beautiful. Apples and oranges...

I've been there several times but I prefer the Kantoke at the Chiang Mai Cultural Center on the way to the airport. The show is better IMHO and most Thai people I have been with say the food is better there as well. There are actually two shows; one during dinner and one after, outside. Many people don't realize there is another show outside and leave before.

Khum Kantoke is more beautiful. Apples and oranges...

I was told by a reliable (I think) friend that this one at the 'cultural centre' is for tourists and pretty awful. I checked out the place and there seemed to be no comparison (inside was just poor) while the outside was lacking in the events that Khum Kantoke offered, but I haven't seen the show so I don't know. The taxi actually took me here first, I had a look around then left...

I appreciate your viewpoint, but I wouldn't recommend what I saw of this place (and I had a good look around).