Another Sign Of The Bad Economy?

mild7even

For some reason I never recall seeing the BIB setting up checkpoints on the weekends (or in the late afternoon). Usually they set up their helmet checks weekdays, early, is my impression.

Saw the BIB writing tickets to unhelmeted riders west of Saphan Nawarat, one of the usual places--but it was today--Sunday!

I recall seeing them working on a weekend only once, and that was during the run up to Songkhran, and of course attributed it to the pending holiday and the need for beer money.

School fees for the kiddies have already been paid, I believe, so that should be a done deal.

I'm not tracking any special events with whiskey and beer in large amounts coming any time soon.

What do you think--additional enforcement to finally turn the tide, or is the economy so bad that they are out weekends giving "tickets"?

Nope, there's a new police chief in town. Transfered from Korat.

Read an interview with him in the last Citylife magazine, May issue.

He simply stated that he is just enforcing the laws that have always been on the books, but that have not been enforced previously.

Nope, there's a new police chief in town. Transfered from Korat.

Read an interview with him in the last Citylife magazine, May issue.

He simply stated that he is just enforcing the laws that have always been on the books, but that have not been enforced previously.

Hmm... I did see your post about the new sheriff and wondered if this extended to making the boys come to work on the weekends. As others have said... I wonder how long it will last.

All the BIB's working Sunday had probably backed Liverpool to win the English Premiership.

Man Utd won it on Saturday so it's time to pay up...and the little "overtime" will come in handy

:) not out of the question that. someone should tell them to get on the tories for the next british election to make their money back.

Saw the BIB writing tickets to unhelmeted riders west of Saphan Nawarat, one of the usual places--but it was today--Sunday!

I think the fact that they were writing tickets, as opposed to just pocketing the usual tea-money, is the most surprising thing! :)

Agreed with PB, if only the helmet law would be properly enforced it would do so much to reduce the toll of human misery. Just come back from another funeral of a local lad who suffered the usual fatal brain injury following an otherwise survivable motor bike accident. Why do Thais fear wearing helmets so much? It can be done, look at the recent helmet law in Vietnem - rigorously enforced, and now obeyed by almost every motorbike rider.

Edited by catmac

I think the fact that they were writing tickets, as opposed to just pocketing the usual tea-money, is the most surprising thing! :)

Agreed with PB, if only the helmet law would be properly enforced it would do so much to reduce the toll of human misery. Just come back from another funeral of a local lad who suffered the usual fatal brain injury following an otherwise survivable motor bike accident. Why do Thais fear wearing helmets so much? It can be done, look at the recent helmet law in Vietnem - rigorously enforced, and now obeyed by almost every motorbike rider.

The ticket pads were out and apparently being used, though as with any other checkpoint, some take the tickets and others go for a more instant kind of justice. Didn't get stopped, so can't say for sure.

And going back to my original question... I asked if this was indeed an attempt to turn the tide. It might in fact be, and it might stick. Stranger things have happened. And without a doubt, things do change here...

I have never had the tea money guys. ( in CM that is )

"Pay at the station" is what I have been told twice.

It was refreshing.

It was refreshing.

Yes of course... leave your bike with the police, try to find a tuk ST or cab, pay a few hundred baht for the transportation to the police station and back but Don't pay the 200 tea-money.. That is Refreshing! At least you have some sightseeing for your money. :D

As an update, I saw a farang motorsai rider pulled over this morning, Monday, eastbound on Huay Kaew just before Superhighway intersection. Around 11 AM.

The fellow had no helmet, and the officer had a ticket pad in hand as I rode by.

As an update, I saw a farang motorsai rider pulled over this morning, Monday, eastbound on Huay Kaew just before Superhighway intersection. Around 11 AM.

The fellow had no helmet, and the officer had a ticket pad in hand as I rode by.

The ticket pad is for putting over the money as its being handed over......perhaps. :)

Yeah, me too, one the other day by Suan Doc. The farang was doing the 'ol soft shoe & his mouth was moving at 100 mph.

He did get a coupon to contribute to the end of the month party.

Im sorry I just don't agree at all it has got nothing to do with road safety. When Tesco can sell "helmets" for 89 Baht, what possible good can they do. If Thainland had proper standards for helmets and made them locally and also fined you for wearing a joke then they could probably export them around the world

Edited by helloall

Im sorry I just don't agree at all it has got nothing to do with road safety. When Tesco can sell "helmets" for 89 Baht, what possible good can they do. If Thainland had proper standards for helmets and made them locally and also fined you for wearing a joke then they could probably export them around the world

So true!

It was refreshing.

Yes of course... leave your bike with the police, try to find a tuk ST or cab, pay a few hundred baht for the transportation to the police station and back but Don't pay the 200 tea-money.. That is Refreshing! At least you have some sightseeing for your money. :D

In the two times I have been stopped and ticketed, I have not left my Vespa with 5-0 and neither was told or asked to.

I simply climbed back aboard and drove to the money shack down on the river.

Even after my two donations for the end 'o month party, I just again climbed back aboard and drove away..still sans helmet. Never a problem.

( I was told the 2d time that now the fine was 400 baht, I reminded the nice Staff Sergeant that 200 was the going rate, he laughed and then agreed that it was 200 baht. He was fishing, I guess. :D )

Helmets are crap here, but does offer some protection, at least more than a shower cap would. I brought mine over from the US, a real helmet.

Forgot...

Yes, I do wear it everytime now. The helmet that is..

Everytime???? are you sure???? :D:D:D

Got me... :) Busted. :D

ok, not everytime, but if I'm heading downtown, yep.

( I'm gunna have to stop riding by his house! )