Chiang Mai Room/apartment With Reliable Internet

lonelybit

hello there ;-)

planning to go to chiang mai by next weekend and looking for a room or serviced apartment there. the room/apartment doesn't need to be too fancy, just the basics like i currently have in my hotel/apartment in samui. it's a nice clean and big room with A/C, twin bed, nice balcony, fridge, working desk and a seperate bathroom with hot/cold shower. the room has an additional WLAN internet setup for another 300 THB / month. they got room cleaning service 2 times / week and a small coffee shop downstairs where you can order coffee. also room service from an outside restaurant which delivers to your door. all in all very basic but clean and good & friendly service ;-)

only bad thing is the internet! they say they got 12 Mbit (4x3Mbit TT&T) but mostly block all the non standard services like SSH, sending emails, p2p torrent, etc, etc ... the hotel uses some software from a company in thailand to do all the user authentication and blocking services and p2p torrent which is very annoying -> hxxp://www.kkthai.com/

well ... i found my way around the internal hotel router blocking but sometimes the internet is really a pain in the ass ;-) from time to time i need to hack into another WLAN network in the neighborhood to get things done ... well ... amazing thailand!

so ... i'm looking for some similar room up in chiang mai like described above. just the basics but clean, good & friendly!

planning to stay there for about 2 months .. could also be 3 months but don't know yet. the area i would like to stay is Nimanhenim area ... huaykaew ... as i want to visit a dental clinict in that area.

my monthly budget is up to 10.000 THB and an inside kitchen is not needed at all.

very important is the internet for me as i'm a system administrator and constantly need to monitor my servers. so a good, fast & reliable internet service is indeed more important than the actual room ;-)

did a bit research here on the forum and via google and found a few places. some seem to be good others don't, lke this huaykaew residence. read far too many bad things about this huaykaew place. also read the the loft residence seems to be okay?

however ... i anyone out there could point me to the right direction with some links I would be more than greatful ;-)

but again ... internet service is most important!

thanks for your help & all the best

lonelybit on its way to chiang mai :-)

Places like hotels where people only stay a short time have little incentive to offer dependable internet.

Some Condos, eg Sky Breeze Condo, do have dependable internet using 2 or 3 ISPs, but then the minimum rental is normally 3 months.

Any shared service must have some form of control, you can't let one heavy down loader hog all the bandwidth.

• 2 weeks later...

I've stayed in Viangbua mansion in the past and the internet is very very good. I was downloading tonnes of stuff over http. Not sure about their firewall though, but I remember being able to login to my admin console on a web hosting server which has a bizzare port number... if that's any help