Gas Bottles

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was trying to make the wire black. Now see what you are talking about. Had thought it to be a backing plate for Safe-T-Cut made of white plastic but it could be wire.

I see it is rated 63 amp so you really should have 15/45 meter service as the 5/15 is considered to be useful up to one air conditioner by most Thai.

Was interested in the 35/100 service mentioned as believe it used to be anything over 15/45 the electric was charged at a higher factory rate. Can find no place listing charges so don't know current situation. Anyone with the rate schedules?

I like the idea that someone posted earlier about only wiring your house in 3 colours...

I'm not sure, but is it green for earth, red for active, black for passive?

:D

And, where is the best place to actually earth or ground the entire electrical system?

:o

Regarding the Safety panel, I am not familiar with it but it appears from the pic that both the input and output cables are top entry.

I disagree. You can see a screw cover at both top and bottom of this unit and I believe the top covers the input wires and the bottom the output wires if properly installed. There may be wires at the bottom in shadow that I can not see; but if not seriously doubt that it is installed correctly. I do have a Safe-T-Cut (since 1977) and am a strong believer in ECCB/GFI protection.

Lopburi

A keen eye you doeth have, I stand corrected and am also on the same page regarding ECCB?GFI. Defiinitely a lifesaving device no home should be without.

Now that the electrical is safe, the gas is where it needs to be and the wifey has a place for rubbish, what else could there be to prevent Tukyleith from enjoying the new abode. If the beer is cold and the toilet drains, he should be in business. :o

I like the idea that someone posted earlier about only wiring your house in 3 colours...

I'm not sure, but is it green for earth, red for active, black for passive?

:D

And, where is the best place to actually earth or ground the entire electrical system? 

It is the old U.K. standard for electrical wiring and you are correct; green = earth, red = positive, black = negative.

I would suggest a 2 metre long copper earth rod driven into the ground outside of the wall where your consumer (or fuse) box is located.

Was interested in the 35/100 service mentioned as believe it used to be anything over 15/45 the electric was charged at a higher factory rate.  Can find no place listing charges so don't know current situation.  Anyone with the rate schedules?

Sorry, it should have been 30/100, not 35/100.

Anyway, I too would like to know if I am charged at a higher rate because of the higher supply. For comparison, my last bill (dated 24:01:48) was as follows:

Current meter reading = 18327

Previous meter reading = 17947

Units used = 380

Cost = Bht 950.57 (therefore Bht 2.502 / unit, I guess)

Ft (whatever that is) 380 units @ Bht 0.4328 = Bht 164.46.

VAT @ 7% = Bht 78.05

Total bill = Bht 1,193.08.

Where do you keep yours?

The Gas bottle is outside and I have also fitted a gas-fuse. I paid the money and got one from Australia.

We brought a gas fuse from a travelling demo mob that showed us photos of what an exploding gas bottle could do. They came into our house and made our whole system safe. Cost around ฿1,200. I'm glad you brought the subject up cause we were going to have the pub done as well but it slipped our minds.

Was interested in the 35/100 service mentioned as believe it used to be anything over 15/45 the electric was charged at a higher factory rate.  Can find no place listing charges so don't know current situation.  Anyone with the rate schedules?

Anyway, I too would like to know if I am charged at a higher rate because of the higher supply. For comparison, my last bill (dated 24:01:48) was as follows:

Units used = 380

VAT @ 7% = Bht 78.05

As far as I know a higher meter using more electricity is cheaper.......although T.I.T.

Units used = 380

VAT @ 7% = Bht 78.05

The "Ft" is fuel adjustment fee which will go up with more diesel and down with more water generation.

There used to be several "bands" of electric charge so if you only used a very small amount the cost per unit was very low. The next level it was higher and perhaps another band before you get to the full charge so without knowing those bands can not figure real charge.

You use a very low amount at 380 units. I used 1,537 last month and base charge was 4,351.22 so about 2.83 per unit average cost using 15/45 meter service.

Strange they did not put in a distribution board with a built in safety cut

mechanism.

It would be extra cost to then put them all into a surface metal cabinet if that is what you mean (and which I have done). But I suspect you are taking about a breaker panel and they could have obtained a breaker panel with a built in ECLB but it would not have the controls the Safe-T-Cut unit has (various sensitivities and bypass). Several of my sub panels (Clipsal) have this built in ECLB but they are probably not common outside of Bangkok.

It is the old U.K. standard for electrical wiring and you are correct; green = earth, red =  positive, black = negative.

I would suggest a 2 metre long copper earth rod driven into the ground outside of the wall where your consumer (or fuse) box is located.

Thanks jayenram.

I'm about to start building so I'll talk with the contractor about installing something like this. :D

One other thing I've noticed, both in tukyleith's photographs and in other houses under construction in LOS is the wiring thickness appears to be thinner that what I have been used to back in Oz.

I would have thought that the thinner the wire, the hotter it would get as electrical current runs though it.

Is this right or am I worrying over nothing? :o

It is the old U.K. standard for electrical wiring and you are correct; green = earth, red =  positive, black = negative.

Thanks jayenram.

I'm about to start building so I'll talk with the contractor about installing something like this. :D

One other thing I've noticed, both in tukyleith's photographs and in other houses under construction in LOS is the wiring thickness appears to be thinner that what I have been used to back in Oz.

I would have thought that the thinner the wire, the hotter it would get as electrical current runs though it.

Is this right or am I worrying over nothing? :o

Believe Oz is also 220v right? So wire should be the same size. For those from USA to notice wire is smaller would be normal as 220v does not require as heavy a wire size as 120v. Wire costs money; so if you do not pay for it they will not install it.

Three wire combined in white/black/green is easily available here now so that should probably be your color system in hopes the next guy understands it.

Believe Oz is also 220v right?  So wire should be the same size.  For those from USA to notice wire is smaller would be normal as 220v does not require as heavy a wire size as 120v.  Wire costs money; so if you do not pay for it they will not install it.

Three wire combined in white/black/green is easily available here now so that should probably be your color system in hopes the next guy understands it.

Thanks lopburi3.

Actually Oz is 240vAC... not much difference to LOS.

Sounds like the white/black/green combination is the go... :o

Just curious... why would 120v wiring be smaller than 220v? :D

Believe Oz is also 220v right?  So wire should be the same size.  For those from USA to notice wire is smaller would be normal as 220v does not require as heavy a wire size as 120v.  Wire costs money; so if you do not pay for it they will not install it.

Thanks lopburi3.

Actually Oz is 240vAC... not much difference to LOS.

Sounds like the white/black/green combination is the go... :o

Just curious... why would 120v wiring be smaller than 220v? :D

Because what flows in the wire is current and you need twice the current at 110v as at 220v. That current is what heats up the wire. But you need better insulation at the higher 220v potential; so it is not all win at higher voltage.

Because what flows in the wire is current and you need twice the current at 110v as at 220v.  That current is what heats up the wire.  But you need better insulation at the higher 220v potential; so it is not all win at higher voltage.

Thanks again lopburi3.

I'm a ginger beer but not electrical.. :o

Appreciate the explanation. :D

There is no ground required for a GFI/ECLB (Safe-T-Cut) to work. It compares the current on the hot and neutral sides (alternating current) and if there is a difference it cuts the supply and saves a life.

It is very cheap and effective protection and easy for any electrician to install. In the case of the iron shock she would have received less than 30ma of current before the source was shut off rather than the multi amps she probably got before being able to let go or the breaker tripping.

You use a very low amount at 380 units.  I used 1,537 last month and base charge was 4,351.22 so about 2.83 per unit average cost using 15/45 meter service.

So I'm paying over 30 satang more than you per unit (Bht 3.14)! Anybody else paying a different rate?

BTW Lop, what the h*ll are you running in your house to use four times the electric I am? :o

You use a very low amount at 380 units.  I used 1,537 last month and base charge was 4,351.22 so about 2.83 per unit average cost using 15/45 meter service.

So I'm paying over 30 satang more than you per unit (Bht 3.14)! Anybody else paying a different rate?

BTW Lop, what the h*ll are you running in your house to use four times the electric I am? :o

I have 3 phase power at my place in Chonburi which I presume is the 35/100 that you are talking about and we are paying 2.951 baht a unit excl VAT and 3.158 incl VAT direct from the electric company with no loading by 3rd parties.

4 air conditioners, 5 refrigerators, 5 water heaters, dryer, dish washer, water pump, 5 computers, 6 TVs, many fans and such. Normally have 10 people here at night and I have air on most of the day. Am sure the refrigerators are the big item but they save going out so often on shopping runs (where we do a lot of impulse buying) so probably not more expensive overall. :o

Talking about gas bottles reminds me that when time comes to do the outside BBQ area the missus wants one of those big industrial-strength stainless-steel barbeque units.

Y'all might have seen them on these home-improvement shows on TV but I didn't run across any in the Home Pro stores between BKK & Suphan.

Any advice on whether I should throw one into the cargo shipment from the states when the move finally takes place?

Thanks guys...

Talking about gas bottles reminds me that when time comes to do the outside BBQ area the missus wants one of those big industrial-strength stainless-steel barbeque units.

Y'all might have seen them on these home-improvement shows on TV but I didn't run across any in the Home Pro stores between BKK & Suphan.

Any advice on whether I should throw one into the cargo shipment from the states when the move finally takes place?

Thanks guys...

You can get Aussie deluxe BBQs in Sukh. Soi 33/2 at the end of the soi,

opp. Blue BBQ bar.

Bloody expensive way of cooking a snag! :o

Thanks guys...

You can get Aussie deluxe BBQs in Sukh. Soi 33/2 at the end of the soi,

opp. Blue BBQ bar.

Bloody expensive way of cooking a snag! :o

Cheers, Udon.

Thanks guys...

Grand-Turbo-9-small.jpg

don't think you will be throwing any shrimps on that barbie mate, try a lobster as the shrimp will get lost.

Thanks guys...

Grand-Turbo-9-small.jpg

don't think you will be throwing any shrimps on that barbie mate, try a lobster as the shrimp will get lost.

Or any Hoy Mang Poo either! :o

...unless I'm boiling the suckers.