Best Thai Seafood Restaurant At Best Cost In Cm With Best View?

gatorhead333

i like the cost ,the taste and some of the most beautiful views in CM !!!! the beautiful views will make a grown man's knees weak.... i need to wait until i have time to go there i want to take photos so all will understand the quality of this tasty place... oh how tasty this place can be...

What are you talking about? Fish and chips in the front row at Star 6?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favourite seafood restaurants are located in Rayong province at Haat Payoon which is on the coast next to Ban Chang.

No fancy decor, just simple tables and chairs on the beach amongst the trees.

Always very fresh and well prepared and the price is local, about 1/3rd the price you would pay in some tourist rip-off joint in Pattaya, Jomtien, Cha-am, Hua Hin, Phuket, Krabi, etc.

paradise found!!

always better on the beach local deal...

but i a trapped in CM... local places here in CM are quite a deal too .. but you have to compensate somewhat to find non beach beautfiul views ....

i like the cost ,the taste and some of the most beautiful views in CM !!!! the beautiful views will make a grown man's knees weak.... i need to wait until i have time to go there i want to take photos so all will understand the quality of this tasty place... oh how tasty this place can be...

Sounds exquisite my good man!

no!! i am talking about great thai food curries ,tom yoms,garlic pan fried shrimp, oysters .. at good prices with a view that is very pleasing.!!

i took a few clients into star six juts a few weeks ago,( big mistake) it was so ugly instead of weak knees they got "weak stomachs".. not very pretty place these off season days... it caused them to go into a panic ,nest day they nixed CM and flew down to to BBk then drive to pattaya for 5 days to recover from the horror,, Not joking...once down there they phoned in said they were cured!

Edited by gatorhead333

Our esteemed member Sao Jiang Mai wrote a very eloquent review of a very special, secret place that serves bar none the best seafood here in the Rose of The North. They fly in all the product from all over Thailand, and it is as good as any seaside place. Spectacular food, on the Ping, but you need some Thai and navigational skills to find it and be able to order there.

OK, ladies and gents, hone up your forum search skills.

First member to name this restaurant, and with a nesting quote of member Sao Jiang Mai's original post on this topic, wins a shot of any spirit, or a premium beer at the forthcoming TV party.

Our esteemed member Sao Jiang Mai wrote a very eloquent review of a very special, secret place that serves bar none the best seafood here in the Rose of The North. They fly in all the product from all over Thailand, and it is as good as any seaside place. Spectacular food, on the Ping, but you need some Thai and navigational skills to find it and be able to order there.

First member to name this restaurant, and with a nesting quote of member Sao Jiang Mai's original post on this topic, wins a shot of any spirit, or a premium beer at the forthcoming TV party.

Some mods are good, some are bad. McG in his infinite generosity is certainly not one of the former.

Some forum searchers are good; some are bad. I am certainly not one of the former.

However, I did find this, which gatorhead333 and others following this topic might like to check out, as it gives very clear directions to what I mentioned earlier in this topic is my second favourite seafood restaurant in Chiangmai:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Seafood-Rest...l=seafood++ping

My favourite seafood restaurants are located in Rayong province at Haat Payoon which is on the coast next to Ban Chang.

No fancy decor, just simple tables and chairs on the beach amongst the trees.

Always very fresh and well prepared and the price is local, about 1/3rd the price you would pay in some tourist rip-off joint in Pattaya, Jomtien, Cha-am, Hua Hin, Phuket, Krabi, etc.

Thanks for that, I appreciate it..! It probably applies to many of the less touristed seaside locations.. I also had stunning (and stunningly cheap) seafood in places like Chanthaburi, Prachuap and Trang.

where is this jewel? i have zip navigational skills and high end clients flying in tonight that are taking us out to din din but since i am the one trapped CM i am to pick the thai seafood restaurant and the one i was talking about although one of the 7 CM wonders is justs too spartan, view or no view for this group since money is not a factor ... 5 star hotels people that like good food ..

so if in fact anyone is a drinker or has time or if the mod wants to cut loose ,fire away location with this thai eat treat we will rate it this weekend.. six people i wil bring my camera...

Edited by gatorhead333

Some forum searchers are good; some are bad. I am certainly not one of the former.

However, I did find this, which gatorhead333 and others following this topic might like to check out, as it gives very clear directions to what I mentioned earlier in this topic is my second favourite seafood restaurant in Chiangmai:

does this have what the gracious mod was talking about?? if so point it out please !!

does this have what the gracious mod was talking about?? if so point it out please !!

No, it does not. I was not able to find what he was talking about.

another TV hoax ??,

if special thai seafood it would seem , i would have been there or others would be talking about it here in CM over the last three decades..

The absolute best, featured in my magazine in July 2006:

TALK OF THE TOWN

RERT ROT (Tai Ton Mafuang)

Until now, Chiang Mai's best kept secret where celebrities and those in the know go. Unfortunately this restaurant is so hard to find, we are going to have to use up most of this space guiding you! As you drive 200 metres down Wang Singh Kham Road from the Superhighway, you will see a row of shop houses on your left. There will be a break in the shop houses with a small road leading to another row behind. Just go in, and pretty much at the mini-T-junction there will be a scruffy- and empty-looking entrance which will lead you through a dark room and a kitchen till you find yourself in a rickety Ping waterfront restaurant (directly opposite Maha Naga Restaurant) which simply serves the BEST seafood in town - prawns too big to fit in your mouth, soft-as-a-slice-of-cheddar batter-fried calamari, gigantic crabs peppered with spice and super delicious soups. No English menu (point), no prices (by weight), no wines (byob) and no fuss: just great food. A huge meal for two should be around 800 baht, sounds expensive, but the quality of the seafood is bar none. Cheaper dishes are available for tighter budgets.

If you are unclear about the directions, PM me and I will send you a map.

Sorry, was gone for a bit and forgot that Pim had changed her username.

All you doubters, and conspiracy theorists owe me a shot now.... :)

Turns out it did. He was referring to the same place as mentioned in the topic for which I posted the link above. It's delicious, but it ain't fancy, so don't take your la-di-da friends there.

Hey, Mickey G, you may have the shot to which I am now entitled, since I will not be there to collect. :)

No, you get the shot, Rass!

I also will not be able to attend; my Mom is feeling poorly and it looks as though I might be traveling back to the Ewe Ess of Ehh shortly.

You might be in Toronto, I will be in Cali.

I'll meet you midway, in Fargo, North Dakota, and buy you that shot.... :)

Right nice of you, Mickey G. Always a pleasure to share a drink with you. Perhaps here in town later; in any case it can't be within the four corners of the country you'll be visiting, for reasons having to do with a personal pledge. Above and beyond all that, keep being a good son and take care of your mother. Hope she gets to feeling better real soon now.

OK, seafood buffet with crabs the size of 53 Studebaker hub caps, and river prawn to die for.

Rass will bring a bottle (or 2) of Gewürztraminer, chilled to 45 F.

I will bring some puerile wit, and a bottle of hooch.

Blinky will eat Dutch scallops in some sorry Rotterdam suburb.

:)

OK, seafood buffet with crabs the size of 53 Studebaker hub caps, and river prawn to die for.

:)

Wit? Witch Which you ain't got Mr. McGee.

Had a friend once, she gave me more crabs than I cared for and all for free.

As for the Dutch scallops, had them last week, this week it's Polish mussels. Next week, Swiss oysters.

Sometimes work is tough.

i have . . . high end clients flying in tonight that are taking us out to din din but since i am the one trapped CM i am to pick the thai seafood restaurant . . . we will rate it this weekend.. six people i wil bring my camera . . .

I am still looking forward very much, gatorhead333, to reading your review and rating of whichever Thai seafood restaurant you chose last weekend. The photos I care less about, personally, but IanForbes and others will probably be interested.

:D

Wit? Witch Which you ain't got Mr. McGee.

Had a friend once, she gave me more crabs than I cared for and all for free.

As for the Dutch scallops, had them last week, this week it's Polish mussels. Next week, Swiss oysters.

Sometimes work is tough.

right! :)

when u eating some thai clams?

i have . . . high end clients flying in tonight that are taking us out to din din but since i am the one trapped CM i am to pick the thai seafood restaurant . . . we will rate it this weekend.. six people i wil bring my camera . . .

I am still looking forward very much, gatorhead333, to reading your review and rating of whichever Thai seafood restaurant you chose last weekend. The photos I care less about, personally, but IanForbes and others will probably be interested.

last weekend ate beef.... did not make it to the seafood place with the good price and view of views.... but will this weekend!!the folks that flew in had rooms at shangri la on 11 floor which is the hi so floor with free wine,liqour,beer, hot appestizers,cold sandwiches smoked chicken,etc., tons of deserts from 5-7:20 pm each night . this dampened the eat out plans some. we ended up at The Steak House which was terrific!!a pleasant surprice so clean ,nice upscale place but not the cost... entertainment,relatively inexpensive excellent wines (i think the wine is a leader they do not mark up much at all ) I had a thai-french beef filet which was the best in CM as good or better than the austrialian beef if in fact the people serving the "imported" beef are serving it at all...cut it with a fork!

the appetisers are out of this world good! very clean up scale,special place at regular prices and they have booths which is different and very nice for CM.

the staff speaks perfect english too. the group raved ,loved the place and thanked me for taking them there.

one problem they are very busy hard to gert table so make reservations on weekends.

second night Marcos and the group was amazed CM had this level of food ..for these guys money doesn't matter so the food actually carried the place for them..

the best less expensive seafood restaurant with the most excelent calming view ...stay tuned soon come...

Edited by gatorhead333

we ended up at The Steak House which was terrific!!a pleasant surprice so clean ,nice upscale place but not the cost... entertainment,relatively inexpensive excellent wines (i think the wine is a leader they do not mark up much at all ) I had a thai-french beef filet which was the best in CM as good or better than the austrialian beef

Where is the Steak House? Is their beef better than Marco's? Flame broiled?

. . . the best less expensive seafood restaurant with the most excelent calming view ...stay tuned soon come...

Mark me down as staying tuned.

The steak house you went to. Was it by any chance the steak house run by Le Crystal out at JJ market near the Tesco Lotus on the Superhighway?

As a seafood lover and former resident of Phuket, I have been scouting around quite a bit since moving to CM and found a few gems.

- The seafood place at the end of Anusarn market (forgot the name) is actually really good food wise, but the owners tend to rip off their customers and they are way overpriced.

- The restaurant above the Chiang Mai Zoo (Paalad Tawanron?) is really nice in all aspects, great food and view. Kinda pricey, but worth it once in a while. Excellent place to take visitors or for business dinners. Nice night view of CM.

- If you dont mind the view, you really should try out "Nai Dum" also known as "Mr. Dum" (นายดำ). It's on Muang Road, about halfway between the railway station and Ping river. Driving towards town, its on the left. There is a karaoke place next to it with a sign saying "DJ Karaoke 2", or smiliar. Dun remember. This is quite popular with locals and is actually a famous khao tom place. They have live fresh seafood and the Singapore-style black pepper crab is top notch. 250 baht per crab, which is not bad compared to Phuket prices. They also have dried deer jerk, kids love it. I went with wife and 3 kids, 2 crabs, lotsa thai food and a few beers. 820 baht. Unbeatable.

I havent tried Maha Naga yet, but its on my hit list. :)

mrsouza, thanks for the tips and here's one for you in return: Thajene Chomchan. It's on Soi Photharam and phone number is 053 221 919. Excellent place with options of sitting in the gardens (tip - stay away from the TV!!) or in air con where they often have a band playing or outside but under cover.

Cheers