The Special I Can See You But Will Ignore You Walk

sanook2me

Why do farangs do that funny invisible walk, posture, starey things and are more focused on ignoring you than acknowledging you with a nod or hello! when walking towards another farang in an un touristy area?

It has happend countless times too me but i have just had it happen while walking back home and have remembered to ask about it.

I have just passed another farang and we were walking towards each other for over 100 yds and as we got closer it was quite obvious he was doing the i cannot see you walk... ... i looked, nodded and said hello as we passed while he scratched his ear to avoid making contact....

why do people feel the need to do this?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

too many factors to say without knowing either of you. many farang here hate the idea of other farang. they feel like "oh i wish all the tourists would just go home" even though they just arrived in 2008... or perhaps you look like a complete degenerate who will want to borrow money... or a million other scenarios... it sounds like you are desperate for attention... maybe join a knitting class?

What do you have in common apart from being non-Thai?

I never have anything to say to others who married a Thai and expect to be instant bosom buddies.

I will feel no discomfort in ignoring you :)

I've met scores of farangs in Thailand. Hundreds.

The odds of me thinking a stanger farang is someone I'd like to meet and enjoy his company, maybe lift a few beers -- are slim at best.

There's a lot of wanke_rs roaming these mean streets.

You said it, Texpat. Too darn many people here who are maladjusted or just plain freaks. It's a nice surprise when I meet someone who can carry on a normal conversation. The majority of expats in Thailand are self-centered to the point that you can not get a word in edge-wise. And have you met many with self-esteem or a sense of purpose in life beyond booze and women?

Back in the UK I never made a point of talking to a total stranger whilst walking to the pub or where ever. Why should I start now?? Making conversation in a bar is a different matter.

Back in the UK I never made a point of talking to a total stranger whilst walking to the pub or where ever. Why should I start now?? Making conversation in a bar is a different matter.

Because we have something in common here (as a minority).

Back in the UK dog walkers would always talk or smile at each other, cyclists likewise would smile or nod at each other as they went past - they had something in common.

When farangs ignore each other here there is a reason why they do so. :)

I've met scores of farangs in Thailand. Hundreds.

The odds of me thinking a stanger farang is someone I'd like to meet and enjoy his company, maybe lift a few beers -- are slim at best.

There's a lot of wanke_rs roaming these mean streets.

And most of these strokers either want to,

a. sell you something

b. convert you to something.

c. borrow money.

I have perfected the ability to look right through people as if they dont exist, an attribute thats really useful for avoiding tailors touts, chavs, spivs and timeshare tossers.

Another reason...or it could be the main reason?

May be they hate the series of questioning that ensues on meeting another westerner/expat to ascertain your status/package?

Hmm….a sense of comparison/competition?

And

some others may have "other agendas" related to who you are, what you do, where you work, why are you here, and/or esp - what your wife does for a living etcs……

annoying?….so after awhile they just try to ignore each others? :)

Edited by teacup

Because we have something in common here (as a minority).

Back in the UK dog walkers would always talk or smile at each other, cyclists likewise would smile or nod at each other as they went past - they had something in common.

When farangs ignore each other here there is a reason why they do so. :)

so what makes you think minorities back home all get at ease and start yabbering away to each other. A common nationality or racial background doesn't guarantee that you'll have anything in common.

Dog walkers, cyclists etc do have stuff in common, and hence the shared greetings.

Another reason...or it could be the main reason?

May be they hate the series of questioning that ensues on meeting another westerner/expat to ascertain your status/package?

Hmm….a sense of comparison/competition?

annoying?….so after awhile they just try to ignore each others? :)

Generally speaking, a nod, smile, or 'hello' whilst continuing to move forward does not lead to a "series of questioning ...... to ascertain your status/package"

So I doubt that this is v often the reason.

Why would I speak to a total stranger just because he was not a Thai? I don't get it.

Its a sad, sad, world when people who clearly look different from the local population, don't acknowledge each other. You may have nothing in common, but it costs you nothing. One of the things most of us do like about being here is the idea of LOS. What a difference a simple smile makes. So many farlang who live in Thailand seem to look lost, lonely and bored.

I think it was Thoreau who once said - 'Many men lead lives of quiet desperation' - Have a nice day and smile - at a farlang

I feel a special affinity to Honda Wave riders. A unique, kindred spirit.

Often, when tooling around town, I give the raised fist -- looks so cool with my leather gloves and goretex riding jacket -- to other Wave riders.

They often don't understand.

Am I wierd?

Why would I speak to a total stranger just because he was not a Thai? I don't get it.

I dont want a conversation! just a polite nod or hello and keep on moving no need to stop.

It just seems common curtesy to acknowledge someones presence that you do have something in common with in a Thailand we are both aliens.

It's just rude along with pressing the close door button in the lift before the other farang makes it to the lift ! Oh no thats just me :) or is it?

Edited by sanook2me

It would never occur to me to acknowledge another farang on the streets of Bangkok...or Udon Thani for that matter. There are tons of them. Now if I encountered one in Na Klang, it might be a different story

I like to know the farangs that live in or near my Ban (outside Udon) we have,maybe,something in common.

Some farang in the Supermarket?No chance.And he may even be English or from the Us of A!Brrrrr........... :)

Why do farangs do that funny invisible walk, posture, starey things and are more focused on ignoring you than acknowledging you with a nod or hello! when walking towards another farang in an un touristy area?

It has happend countless times too me but i have just had it happen while walking back home and have remembered to ask about it.

I have just passed another farang and we were walking towards each other for over 100 yds and as we got closer it was quite obvious he was doing the i cannot see you walk... ... i looked, nodded and said hello as we passed while he scratched his ear to avoid making contact....

why do people feel the need to do this?

They are scared sh*tless you are doing better than they are. Worried you have a good looking bird while they have an ugly one, or none at all. Scared you have seen them on a 'Wanted' poster.

Either that or they are ignorant :)

ignorant?

Why would anyone wish to roll the dice and meet a culturally-vacant, ill-informed, self-professed <deleted> as is likely the case.

Why not remain anonymous and let the occasion pass by innocently?

Edited by Texpat

Tis true at home we see cyclist....dog walkers etc nod or wave at each other. They have a common task I guess as they obviously enjoy a similar activity.

Then again I do not notice afro Americans high five each other when they pass on a street.

Same goes for Jewish folks or Indians ...........So I guess the non acknowledgment of other non-Thai's is quite normal. :D

I see your saying you want to recognize your similarity in which case we are all humans so just nod to everyone who looks friendly & you will get many return nods. That is in fact pretty much what I do :) If my eyes meet with someone who is looking right at me & they look friendly I nod or say sawasdee ( this is more country than city) :D

I dont want a conversation! just a polite nod or hello and keep on moving no need to stop.

It just seems common curtesy to acknowledge someones presence that you do have something in common with in a Thailand we are both aliens.

It's just rude along with pressing the close door button in the lift before the other farang makes it to the lift ! Oh no thats just me :D or is it?

I think people in LOS are still nice na. Last time walking with my girl in Amsterdam, saw some pal with a lady coming out the pub, another guy wasn't paying attention and bounced up to them. At first, the couple polite and ask are you okay, then he gives a reaction back like: go fuc_k yourself, then almost a gun fight started. Short temper dutchies. :)

Lucky i'm not myself. But even walking the Soi's of LOS, doesn't make me always feel save, but i'm not a pussy, complaining about it on TV, no I will fuc_k their asses up good and never let them walk again.

Edited by Datsun240Z

too many factors to say without knowing either of you. many farang here hate the idea of other farang. they feel like "oh i wish all the tourists would just go home" even though they just arrived in 2008... or perhaps you look like a complete degenerate who will want to borrow money... or a million other scenarios... it sounds like you are desperate for attention... maybe join a knitting class?

Appears you are one of the types that the OP is talking about.

Rude, arrogant and bombastic.

In the past I have experienced the same responses as the OP. Give a nod, just say good morning or hello, the reactions being, either to look away as if I was invisible or the traditional Farang greeting with the dagger stare and flared left nostril.

Not suggesting a life long friendship, or even a chat, but a little bit of politeness in the way of a nod would be a nice gesture. Not only with Farangs, the same goes for anyone.

So now I do the same, just look the other way. Strangely through, over the last month, I had a couple of my fellow English guys actually say Hi to me on my travels and than I always say hello in return.

Another experience I had last week; stopped off near San Pa Tong, Chiang Mai on my motorbike to buy a can of pepsi. I saw a Farang sitting in front of the shop drinking beer. When he saw me, the guy said hello and asked where I come from. I replied from London and he said he is from Brighton. He invited me to sit with him for a beer, so I did.

Within 5 minutes of meeting him the guy began telling me that he has a problem with his bank account and monies from England have not been paid in so he may have to return to England. The guy went on to say he only has 20 baht left and doesn`t know what to do.

After listening to this for 15 minutes, once I finished my beer, got back on my motorbike and was off back home.

But nevertheless, I still was decent enough to sit and have a beer with him, even though I paid for the round.

Edited by sassienie