The Special I Can See You But Will Ignore You Walk

sanook2me

I'm with the OP on this one.Its not about needing a friend.Its about being polite.If your worried that the farang is gonna ask for something then have the balls to tell him "NO". The farang that you have ignored may have been a sound dude.Also sass made the point of going over to have a drink with the fellow English man.Once he got a bad feeling about the guy he got up and left.

I will continue to say 'hello' no matter how many sh!t house farangs dont say nothing back.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get it: why should I greet somebody just because he/she is a fellow foreigner? Does that mean I always need to greet any minority? When I go jogging, I need to greet all other joggers? When I fly business, I need to greet all other passengers? Few back-packers here, so I should greet the few I see?

I have no problem with greeting who I WANT, I do not feel this "we are fellow foreigners in a foreign land" kinship at all.

I can understand it happens in a small village if you have been waiting to see a farang face for years but in the city ?

That would look kinda stupid...... well its nice to meet someone in a bar to have a chat but out in the streets ?

What do you have in common apart from being non-Thai?

I never have anything to say to others who married a Thai and expect to be instant bosom buddies.

I will feel no discomfort in ignoring you :)

I have a feeling that I have bumped into you at the local Tesco/Big C.

Most farangs here would 'nt give you a nod in the desert.

Why would I speak to a total stranger just because he was not a Thai? I don't get it.

"Birds of a feather, flock together."

It is natural to be drawn to others like you, but after living in Southeast Asia for decadesI no longer feel obliged to automatically respond to other foreigners. Why should I?

I feel the same way about Thais.........and sometimes I just want to be alone. Sometimes I am more receptive to company and might say "hello."

Maybe it has something to do with how far we have assimilated into Thai culture.........or how separate we feel from "farang culture." Not sure..........

Maybe it's an ongoing thing.

In the past the Farang has nodded or acknowledged a fellow farang and been ignored. This is sort of embarrassing, so he starts to avoid eye contact with other farangs.

I stood waiting for traffic lights to change at the corner Soi Asoke and up came a 40ish (Brit?) wearing, shorts,flip flops, and no shirt!!

I moved as far away from him as I could, why would I want to talk to an idiot dressed like this.

Another reason I don't talk to such people is we have not been properly introduced.

too many factors to say without knowing either of you. many farang here hate the idea of other farang. they feel like "oh i wish all the tourists would just go home" even though they just arrived in 2008... or perhaps you look like a complete degenerate who will want to borrow money... or a million other scenarios... it sounds like you are desperate for attention... maybe join a knitting class?

Appears you are one of the types that the OP is talking about.

Rude, arrogant and bombastic.

In the past I have experienced the same responses as the OP. Give a nod, just say good morning or hello, the reactions being, either to look away as if I was invisible or the traditional Farang greeting with the dagger stare and flared left nostril.

Not suggesting a life long friendship, or even a chat, but a little bit of politeness in the way of a nod would be a nice gesture. Not only with Farangs, the same goes for anyone.

I always nod or say hello.

To take a second just to acknowledge another human being. Any race, creed and or color.

It's bad enough in this world now, that when I do get one back, which is seldom, it gives me a few seconds to think that maybe there is hope for us in this world.

I stood waiting for traffic lights to change at the corner Soi Asoke and up came a 40ish (Brit?) wearing, shorts,flip flops, and no shirt!!

I moved as far away from him as I could, why would I want to talk to an idiot dressed like this.

Another reason I don't talk to such people is we have not been properly introduced.

Edited by Birdman

I think the OP has hit the nail on the head and has described the scenario very aptly and it foxes me why also.

Sometimes I might feel awkward, it mostly depends on my mood at the time and certainly depends on my initial split second summing up of that person coming towards me down the street as to whether I would want to smile/nod/acknowledge. Shame on me for any pre-judging since I haven't given them the benefit of doubt.

Possibly those that do avoid contact deliberately on all occasions are of the opinion that they don't need anything from anybody, know all about Thailand and life here and don't want to even acknowledge another fellow foreigner and are of the opinion that they have been here longer than everyone else, which I'm sure they won't have been.

Regardless of the reasons, I think the OP has made a valid point because it's something that I have noticed often.

I don't really want to get into conversations with strangers approaching me but I think I shall make more of a conscious effort to give at least a 'nod' on my off days!

regards Bojo

Another theory:

Because the Thai love it that way! We farang cant even organise ourselves to talk to each other, let alone help each other or anything meaningful unless it can be done with relative anonimity and non commitment. Keep them fighting against each other and they will never be a force in numbers. Take their money, treat them with contempt 'cause they are all isolated, every man here is an island, until they are in a pub with a few beers under their skin.... how pathetic..

Oz

I'm not sure I ever acknowledged a "farang" in the United States when they walked past me and I lived in Chinatown, Philadelphia. I tend to also not to acknowledged Thais, Chinese, Japanese, or people of African decent who pass by me. I consider my self "color blind" I don't care what color your skin is, actually I tend not to notice. I went the the US Consulate the other day to renew my passport and I spoke to quite a few of my fellow Americans waiting in line, we didn't exchange any vital information about who we are, why we are in Thailand or even where we are from in the USA, we weren't being hostile, just minding our own business (yes, Americans are capable of minding our own business, it's our government that isn't). I also do not assume just because someone is Caucasian they speak English, I have on many occasions had people come up to me and speak German it's kind of funny (I am of German decent though). Anyway if you see me on the street and strike up a conversation in a language I speak I'll be happy to talk to you, give you directions if I can or whatever.

I don't get it: why should I greet somebody just because he/she is a fellow foreigner? Does that mean I always need to greet any minority? When I go jogging, I need to greet all other joggers? When I fly business, I need to greet all other passengers? Few back-packers here, so I should greet the few I see?

I have no problem with greeting who I WANT, I do not feel this "we are fellow foreigners in a foreign land" kinship at all.

It's not that you have to greet every other foreigner you meet. The point the OP is making is that, almost universally, farangs seem to go out of their way to ignore each other when passing each other on the street in Thailand, even when it is obvious that they are the only two farangs around for blocks.

I don't greet everyone I run into even in my home country, but occasionally I do. It depends on the situation. But it is weird that someone would never greet another person, even seeking to avoid them, because they appear to share a common background.

I've noticed it too, and it always seemed kinda weird. I'm not saying this is true, but it always gave me the impression that people who do that are entertaining a fantasy that they are some sort of intrepid adventurer in an exotic land, and running into another average Joe like me just kind of takes the intrigue out of it for them. Or they are putting on airs, like they are there for some important purpose, while everyone else is just a tourist (and therefore beneath them).

I'm just saying that's the impression it gave off to me, correct or incorrect. And a friendly nod and smile (or at least not putting on the blinders, staring straight forward, and briskly hurrying by) pretty much removes that impression altogether.

To the Original question: I think it is a product of social life where you come from.

I come from a very small town where people walking on the street usually always say hello to each other.

People from cities have learned that making even eye contact can be dangerous (IMO)

Interesting story: I built a house for my mother in law up in Issan.

We go to visit there aprox. once a year.

There is a farang who is retired there and is the only farang living in a town of aprox 200 Thai people.

When i see him at the market or anywhere for that matter, i am prepared to greet him and find out more about him and his life there. (must be tough)

He ignores me. Looks the other way! I can't believe it.

My wife says it's because his wife is a higher social status than my wife and she tells him not to talk to me.

Hope he enjoys that life. I certainly would be ready to babble for an hour or two if i saw another farang once a year.

She also said she heard he's a retired policeman from England. Go figure!

I'm not sure I ever acknowledged a "farang" in the United States when they walked past me and I lived in Chinatown, Philadelphia. I tend to also not to acknowledged Thais, Chinese, Japanese, or people of African decent who pass by me. I consider my self "color blind" I don't care what color your skin is, actually I tend not to notice.

No offense intended, but I find this highly unlikely (that you don't notice, not that you don't care). It is human nature to notice the differences between one's self and others. That doesn't necessarily mean that it leads to animosity, but the noticing part is pretty much automatic. For someone who chose the name Jungian, I am surprised at this claim.

I went the the US Consulate the other day to renew my passport and I spoke to quite a few of my fellow Americans waiting in line, we didn't exchange any vital information about who we are, why we are in Thailand or even where we are from in the USA, we weren't being hostile, just minding our own business (yes, Americans are capable of minding our own business, it's our government that isn't). I also do not assume just because someone is Caucasian they speak English, I have on many occasions had people come up to me and speak German it's kind of funny (I am of German decent though). Anyway if you see me on the street and strike up a conversation in a language I speak I'll be happy to talk to you, give you directions if I can or whatever.

I doubt you are the kind of person that the OP is describing. Actual indifference is quite a bit different from active avoidance. You sound like an affable, if somewhat aloof person (from the tone of your post), but not arrogant.

Edited by oevna

I feel a special affinity to Honda Wave riders. A unique, kindred spirit.

Often, when tooling around town, I give the raised fist -- looks so cool with my leather gloves and goretex riding jacket -- to other Wave riders.

They often don't understand.

Am I wierd?

:) LOL, too funny. We hang with the Honda Dream crowd in nylon wind breakers; one day we'll, step up and break into the cool Wave gangs.

Too much time on my hands, its ticking away with my sanity

I've got too much time on my hands, its hard to believe such a calamity

I've got too much time on my hands and its ticking away from me

Too much time on my hands, too much time on my hands

Too much time on my hands

I sometimes acknowledge and other times i don't. It depends on the situation, here in my village i acknowledge in the supermarket i just do my thing and if i pass them and we make eye contact i either nod or say hello.

I'm not going out of my way to do that. I don't like a guy or girl more because they have my skin color. But i must say a few days back i went to Khao San and it was nice to hear people speak Dutch. I almost started a conversation i miss the language a bit. Where i live there are generally not many Farang.

I pushed through the crowd and saw a tanned, gaunt man. His boots were worn and his sun-beaten helmet clean. The man had such a formal bearing that, despite the Stars and Stripes, I assumed he was French. I hoped the traveler spoke English, for I didn’t speak a word of French. I thought that they would be “a pretty pair of white men in Bangkok if neither one spoke the other’s language.”

He stepped up to me and said "Doctor Livingstone I presume."

I don't have 'the walk' when near another farang, instead I think that I have a big '<deleted> off' tattoe'd on my foreheadas I pretty much get left alone.

Why on earth would I want to start talking or even acknowledge a complete stranger just because he has the same skin colour as me? I do get talking with the regulars at my local pub, but then we share a local pub and have mutual friends in common.

I will acknowledge the same farang here that I would acknowledge back home. It just so happens that my Evolutionary enhanced cautionary beepers tend to go off more often here. Kinda funny though that so many in this thread are acknowledging that all other farang are losers, perhaps they do not see themselves as others see them.

Strange that many do not speak to other farangs, if they meet them in person, but post extensively in the net.

Not strange at all. On the net you remain more or less anonymous and protected from other peoples BS. And of course, whenever you have had enough it is just a case of logging out.

I always smile and say hello, its just who Iam,I don't care if the greeting is returned or not,thats there problem.

I agree with you. I will usually try to make eye contact, give them a "nod" and a smile as we pass each other.

This has never led to any discussion or request for anything from anyone ever!!!

Its just called being polite people, but many were not raised with similar values.

I see no point in nodding to farangs in BKK, too many of them around anyway. :)

Now it would be a different case if I was in a very odd place for farang, a location where it would normally be exclusively Thai or Chinese people. Seeing a fellow westerner might make me give the 'elevator-smile' to him. Depending on how of an odd situation it is.

But nodding in the street while walking to the BTS? Heck no...anyone that did would most likely be someone I didn't want to converse with...