New Sunderland Manager

coxhoedave

Hey JD, while I may not know every player's history and thus am considered unknowledgable according you, but seem's I am not the only one that thinks Brucey Boy (despite his roots) will be the new manager. :)

Sunderland 'want Bruce as boss'

Bruce could be the subject of a compensation deal

Sunderland want Wigan boss Steve Bruce to succeed Ricky Sbragia as their new manager, BBC Sport understands.

Bruce, 48, has been in charge of Wigan, who finished 11th in the Premier League, since he left Birmingham for the JJB Stadium in November 2007.

"Wigan's owner Dave Whelan will not allow Bruce to leave without a fight," said BBC Radio 5 Live's senior football reporter Ian Dennis.

The Latics have not confirmed whether they have received an approach.

But Dennis added: "Wigan paid Birmingham £3m for his services in November 2007 and I think they would want at least that in return.

"If a suitable compensation package can be reached then Bruce will be charged with transforming a Sunderland side that narrowly avoided relegation.

"With Ellis Short's takeover imminent there will be money available and Bruce is Sunderland's number one target."

American investor Short bankrolled the club's summer transfer spending in 2008 - and he is reportedly on the brink of confirming his buy-out later this week.

Sunderland are searching for a third boss in three years after Sbragia, who guided the club to Premier League safety, resigned on Sunday.

"We need somebody who will come in and attract the type of player that Sunderland needs," said Quinn.

The Black Cats were strongly linked with Gordon Strachan, who resigned as Celtic manager on Monday.

Former England manager Steve McClaren, who is currently at Dutch side FC Twente, Croatia head coach Slaven Bilic and ex-Barcelona coach Frank Rijkaard have also been linked with the club.

Former Hamburg manager Martin Jol was also mentioned in conjunction with the post, but has just joined Ajax.

But Dennis added of the Bruce situation: "I expect developments over the next few days."

Bruce started his managerial career at Sheffield United in 1998 and has since been in charge of Huddersfield, Crystal Palace and Birmingham in addition to two spells at Wigan.

Looks like it is going to be Steve Bruce. This is off Sky Sports

Reports, however, have claimed that the Black Cats have already agreed a £5million compensation package with Wigan and Bruce will head for talks over the position on Wednesday.

Added to this he was also spotted last night at a hotel just south of the city.

As for his feelings for Newcastle, this will be quickly be forgotten if he manages to lift Sunderland up the table.

Ok, a bit before my time stevie :)

My point is - whether correct or not, Bruce continues to recieve much acclaim for his job at Wigan, and I don't disagree.

Alot of people would like to see what he could do at a much bigger club with bigger finances.

I don't know what him being a Castle fan has to do with anything.

it has everything to do with it james.

Without stirring the pot :D , and without insulting James, this backs up your arguement of differentiating between a football supporter who attends matches and shouts from the terraces, being in the midst of football rivalry, and someone who calls themselves a fan, but has never experienced the experience of being a supporter.

They just dont get it.

Seems to me like the two Mr. Know-it-alls have a bit of crow to eat. :D:D:D The only thing worse than someone who is unknowledgeable is someone who claims to know it all - perhaps a little less time living in the past and a little more time keeping an eye on things in this century would have served them better. :D

Sunderland have confirmed that majority shareholder Ellis Short is to assume full control of the club.

In addition club chaiman Niall Quinn said "Ellis' involvement to date also enabled us to turn down a club record bid of up to £20million for Kenwyne Jones from Tottenham Hotspur in the January transfer window."

It looks as if the new guy is going in charge of a club not short of a bob or two.

Ok, a bit before my time stevie :)

My point is - whether correct or not, Bruce continues to recieve much acclaim for his job at Wigan, and I don't disagree.

Alot of people would like to see what he could do at a much bigger club with bigger finances.

I don't know what him being a Castle fan has to do with anything.

it has everything to do with it james.

Without stirring the pot :D , and without insulting James, this backs up your arguement of differentiating between a football supporter who attends matches and shouts from the terraces, being in the midst of football rivalry, and someone who calls themselves a fan, but has never experienced the experience of being a supporter.

They just dont get it.

Seems to me like the two Mr. Know-it-alls have a bit of crow to eat. :D:D:D The only thing worse than someone who is unknowledgeable is someone who claims to know it all - perhaps a little less time living in the past and a little more time keeping an eye on things in this century would have served them better. :D

You really are an ill informed football 'FAN

Again showing your lack of knowledge.

I do not have to keep upto date with 'this century'

Anyone with ANY knowledge of football in England would understand the points that me and Steve have made.

Obviously being Canadian with very little knowledge of football, makes it difficult to comprehend, so I will say it in language you understand.

James..................Puck off!!!!!!! :D

Roberto Mancini has admitted he is flattered to be linked with Sunderland and would like to manage in the Premier League. Mancini has been out of work since a successful four-year spell with Inter Milan came to an end 12 months ago.

He is now looking to return to management and concedes his preference would be to land a job in the top flight of English football.

Speculation has already surfaced with regard to Mancini and the vacant position at the Stadium of Light, with Sunderland searching for a successor to Ricky Sbragia.

And Mancini has responded to the reports by indicating that he would consider taking charge of the Black Cats.

"I am very flattered to be linked with the vacant manager's job at Sunderland," said the Italian in a statement given to Sky Sports News.

"It would be an honour to manage such a prestigious and historic club in the Premier League.

"I have enjoyed a year out following winning the Scudetta on three consecutive occasions.

"Having completed a year of media commitments I'm now ready to return to full-time management."

"Ideally I would like that to be in the Premier League. I want to test myself against the very best."

Anyone with ANY knowledge of football in England would understand the points that me and Steve have made.

Obviously being Canadian with very little knowledge of football, makes it difficult to comprehend, so I will say it in language you understand.

Well J&D (and Stevie), I guess you were right afterall,,,I bow to your inbread knowledge of all things English Football... :)

'Geordie roots' prove no problem for Bruce

Sunderland's new man determined to become a 'local hero' on Wearside

Steve Bruce is greeted by Sunderland chairman Niall Quinn yesterday. His appointment has been well received despite his Newcastle connections

Steve Bruce was formally introduced as the new manager of Sunderland last night and immediately dealt head on with "The Geordie Thing", the sizeable, if parochial, issue of his Newcastle roots and his well-known support for the team 12 miles from the Stadium of Light.

"I know what I was born and bred, and it would be wrong of me to say anything different," Bruce said. "But I'm here and I'm proud to be Sunderland manager."

There were other similar comments but that encapsulated Bruce's view and promisingly for the 48-year-old, there has been a largely positive reaction on Wearside to his appointment. Bruce said that anecdotally he had received the same over the past 24 hours. As he posed for photographs beside the statue of Bob Stokoe outside the stadium, a passer-by came up, wished him well and complained about "my dog's bloody arthritis". Bruce took that as a vote of confidence.

The reason Bruce was posing there was that Stokoe was a Geordie who played for Newcastle but who went on to become Sunderland's most celebrated post-war manager. "He became a local hero, let's hope he rubs off," Bruce said. Bruce cut short his holiday in Portugal to meet chairman Niall Quinn on Monday night and after further talks on Tuesday, a three-year contract was signed yesterday. He was away with his father and mother and he said his Newcastle-supporting father Joe's advice was: "Fill your boots, son."

That was the tone last night and it says something of Bruce's enthusiasm that he has already said he hopes that his stay on Wearside will be a long one. "After two years I hope Niall's knocking down the door to offer me an extension," he said. "This is what I always wanted, a big club, a big challenge, a club with huge ambition. All the bits are here, the training ground, the stadium, we have some good players here, I am so pleased to have been the No 1 target. What we need is a team to represent us, take us forward and I accept a poor pass or a loss of form but I always demand hard graft."

That was music to Quinn's ears. Along with Sunderland's fans the chairman has had to watch an expensive squad survive relegation by the skin of their teeth. "We have been brittle at times, what we want is a Sunderland team that is determined, tough, that represents the Steve Bruce philosophy," Quinn said.

Bruce now has owner Ellis Short's millions to use in the market and he said he will be able to "target players I've never been able to before." He thanked the Wigan owner Dave Whelan but there are likely to be approaches made to his former club for the likes of Lee Cattermole.

That hard-graft philosophy meant that Bruce recovered from being rejected by Sunderland in 1976. "I was devastated. I thought I was off to be a plumber in the shipyard. They're not there any more, so I'd be out of a job now."

Bruce done a very good Job at Wigan first half of last Season..

Not sure what he'll do with a barrow full of money if / when Ellis Short gives him the go ahead to spend??

Thta's always the worry when employing a Manager who isn't used to big $$ to spend..

There's loads of examples, O Neill spending 16m on Reo Coker, Harewood & Shorey, Curbishley spending 13m on Quashie, Boa Morte & Faubert, T*ttenham spending 32m on Bentley & Bent in the space of a Year amongst other dreadful Signings, the list goes on...... :)

Well J&D (and Stevie), I guess you were right afterall,,,I bow to your inbread knowledge of all things English Football... :)

Even a broken clock is right twice a day :D

Back to the rink.

Back to the rink.

haha whatever mate. too big to admit you were wrong. question were you always this way or is it just consequence of living in Thailand? :D

Back to the rink.

haha whatever mate. too big to admit you were wrong. question were you always this way or is it just consequence of living in Thailand? :D

Any Person who puts another on " ignore " on an Internet Forum for Posting the truth that they'd rather not hear, is suspect in my Book... :D

Back to the rink.

No I have always been this way.

You see I kind of object to smarmy comments, coming from someone who I believe knows jack s#it about football, who claims to be a football supporter, yet has never been to their ground :D , but anyway, I feel we need to resolve this issue, kind of like pistols at dawn, so here is my suggestion........

We both feel that we know more about football than the other.....so next season, join the football prediction competition, run on here, and you and me go head to head. The loser has to donate 100,000 baht to the charity of the other ones choice. Kind of like a p#ssing contest with a good cause benefitting.

Back to the rink.

No I have always been this way.

You see I kind of object to smarmy comments, coming from someone who I believe knows jack s#it about football, who claims to be a football supporter, yet has never been to their ground :D , but anyway, I feel we need to resolve this issue, kind of like pistols at dawn, so here is my suggestion........

We both feel that we know more about football than the other.....so next season, join the football prediction competition, run on here, and you and me go head to head. The loser has to donate 100,000 baht to the charity of the other ones choice. Kind of like a p#ssing contest with a good cause benefitting.

You are a funny man JD. If as you say it is true that I know Jack <deleted> about football considering all the drivel you continue to slag my way, great, but what is your excuse mate?

When next season rolls around - just show up with the cash in hand - we will find a 3rd party to hold it until its resolved. Not that I don't trust you or anything...

You are a funny man JD. If as you say it is true that I know Jack <deleted> about football considering all the drivel you continue to slag my way, great, but what is your excuse mate?

When next season rolls around - just show up with the cash in hand - we will find a 3rd party to hold it until its resolved. Not that I don't trust you or anything...

Not a problem. I guess mr toad would hold it. He is a fellow Utd fan, who I trust.

So lets meet on the opening day of the season, give 100k each to Mr toad in the crossbar.

Nominate your charity. I will play for Fr Joes Mercy Centre charity. May the best man win :)

Not a problem. I guess mr toad would hold it. He is a fellow Utd fan, who I trust.

So lets meet on the opening day of the season, give 100k each to Mr toad in the crossbar.

Nominate your charity. I will play for Fr Joes Mercy Centre charity. May the best man win :)

ya ok JD (yawn), remind me when we get closer to the time....zzzz

ya ok JD (yawn), remind me when we get closer to the time....zzzz

I will. :D

• 1 year later...
Time for some Maradona magic! :P
Lots of deluded short stumpy dishevelled folk who are washed out from too much drugs in Sunderland he'll fit in well, it'll remind him of his impoverished upbringing 5-1 Edited by Englander

Time for some Maradona magic! :P

Lots of deluded short stumpy dishevelled folk who are washed out from too much drugs in Sunderland he'll fit in well.<div><br></div><div>It'll remind him of his impoverished upbringing</div><div> 5-1

</div>

Yer not rushing back to mackemland then mate? :lol:

&lt;deleted&gt; that it pains me to see homo sapians living in such conditions, besides im off to the circus next month.biggrin.gif

I've just spent two weeks living at Baker's Arms in Leyton.....the one eyed prostitute was an ee opener midget that she was.....maybe she'll be appearing! :D

&lt;deleted&gt; that it pains me to see homo sapians living in such conditions, besides im off to the circus next month.biggrin.gif

I've just spent two weeks living at Baker's Arms in Leyton.....the one eyed prostitute was an ee opener midget that she was.....maybe she'll be appearing! :D

She sounds like marriage material ... but fair play to Chris Hughton he's got a below average bunch of players playing out of their skin , if he keeps them up he deserves a cracking contract .... too many managers are charlatans from the old boys network that are getting a huge contract on day one and are being paid for doing &lt;deleted&gt; all ... he's most certainly not one of them!

Edited by Englander

I et you still dis AND asked for a discount because she had one eye..

A Scottish T*ttenham Supporter, no doubt you did thinkign about it..:D

Horrific result for Sunderland that, Mackems i know have ben double cocky about the Game today too..