Books...

Niloc

I read a book I borrowed from a mate here in Pai, I returned it of course but Ron died and most of his books were souvenired by friends and family.

I wanted to read the book again so I first looked on the Gecko Books website and they had it at the night market store, I called in last week but they explained that their website at very 'out of date' and they no longer had the book I wanted.

I then tried Amazon, they had many copies of the book both new and secondhand but after negotiating their website, they informed me that they cannot post to Thailand. no reason offered simply 'cannot'.

I tried amazon UK but same result.

The book is 'The Great Game' by Peter Hopkirk and is the story of the British and Russian adventures in Iran and Afghanistan in the 19th Century. Very interesting to me as I hitchhiked all through the part of the world in the '60s.

So if you want a special book in Chiang Mai, forget Amazon and hold your breath if you go to Gecko...

Colin in Pai

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kinokuniya Has it in stock at their Sukumvit store http://bookweb.kinokuniya.co.jp/guest/cgi-...A=07&LANG=E for 418 Baht. They deliver through out Thailand.

I read a book I borrowed from a mate here in Pai, I returned it of course but Ron died and most of his books were souvenired by friends and family.

I wanted to read the book again so I first looked on the Gecko Books website and they had it at the night market store, I called in last week but they explained that their website at very 'out of date' and they no longer had the book I wanted.

I then tried Amazon, they had many copies of the book both new and secondhand but after negotiating their website, they informed me that they cannot post to Thailand. no reason offered simply 'cannot'.

The book is 'The Great Game' by Peter Hopkirk and is the story of the British and Russian adventures in Iran and Afghanistan in the 19th Century. Very interesting to me as I hitchhiked all through the part of the world in the '60s.

So if you want a special book in Chiang Mai, forget Amazon and hold your breath if you go to Gecko...

Colin in Pai

Actually, the search function on the Gecko website is not supposed to be working right now. The fellow who is putting it together had to return home for a few months.

We do have a big problem with being able to keep the data base current as many customers collect books from all over the store and then make a decision on one book before they go and just stick the rest on the shelves whereever they happen to be standing. It makes it hard to find them even when we know that they are in the store.

Actually, the search function on the Gecko website is not supposed to be working right now. The fellow who is putting it together had to return home for a few months.

We do have a big problem with being able to keep the data base current as many customers collect books from all over the store and then make a decision on one book before they go and just stick the rest on the shelves whereever they happen to be standing. It makes it hard to find them even when we know that they are in the store.

Staff need to be trained in the art of putting books in the correct position on the shelves.Also in my expeience anyone who leaves books on shelves will leave them piled up at the front not pushed into the row on the shelf.

As geco books is a small book shop it should not be that hard to keep track of the books that you have.Just look at the massive book stores in the USA they can usually find any book in store within a few minutes.

I think that you are talking about new book stores that have multiple copies of everything in the stockroom that are easy to find. Used book stores often have only one copy of very popular titles and many places do not have them on computer at all. Also, we often stack books on the front of the shelves to fit as many as possible, so it is difficult to tell when someone dumps a bunch in the wrong place.

Our main store consists of 4 shop-fronts packed full of books (including the Annex on the other side of the street). It may seem "small" to you, but there are a lot of titles to keep track of.

Edited by Ulysses G.

II wanted to read the book again so I first looked on the Gecko Books website and they had it at the night market store, I called in last week but they explained that their website at very 'out of date' and they no longer had the book I wanted.

Thanks for telling me about this. The search function for the public is not supposed to be working yet, but someone who was modifying the look of the website, changed it so that it looks functional. I was wondering when you mentioned this to me before. I just checked and the imformation is all wrong and I asked the guy to put it back as it was - out of order. Most sorry! :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

I think that you are talking about new book stores that have multiple copies of everything in the stockroom that are easy to find. Used book stores often have only one copy of very popular titles and many places do not have them on computer at all. Also, we often stack books on the front of the shelves to fit as many as possible, so it is difficult to tell when someone dumps a bunch in the wrong place.

Our main store consists of 4 shop-fronts packed full of books (including the Annex on the other side of the street). It may seem "small" to you, but there are a lot of titles to keep track of.

i accept what you say and yes i was comparing to new book shops which i accept do have multiple books in store.

I thought a little more about what you said and I also realized that I have had a number of experiences at Asia Books and Kinokuniya in Bangkok where I looked up something successfully on the computer, but the staff could not find it to sell it to me afterwards.

Maybe the chain bookstores in the UK are so big and well organized that they have endless copies of most books? I would love to be in that position, but it is difficult with mostly second-hand stock..

Edited by Ulysses G.

I have ordered many books from Amazon USA and they have shipped them to me in Chiang Mai.

I have also had items, including books, that were not available for shipping to Thailand. Many times it is not Amazon themselves that are providing the shipping.

I would not blame Amazon completely for something not being available for shipping to Thailand. They, or some of their associates, most certainly have had problems with items not being delivered to the final destination for one reason or another.

Find the ISBN for the book on some web site, then search for that number on the internet until you find a company that will ship to Thailand.

MSPain

Colin in Pai

I followed the advice of Lordfoul and hopefully my book will be here soon.

Hml367 Amazon offered no explanation, just a blank 'cannot do' so I do blame them, they will send to Australia or South America so what is the difference with Thailand??

Colin

I followed the advice of Lordfoul and hopefully my book will be here soon.

Hml367 Amazon offered no explanation, just a blank 'cannot do' so I do blame them, they will send to Australia or South America so what is the difference with Thailand??

Colin

The problem is very often items do not reach their final destination in Thailand. I have been victim of this.

Australia is very different than Thailand.

I have never been to South America.

If a person could get everything they wanted while in Thailand, prices would be very different.

MSPain

Hello, again, Niloc.

I just went to Amazon.com, and tried to order the book you mention, just to see what happens.

When I put my shipping address as Thailand, it indeed does say it cannot be shipped to that address. However, there is also a link in the message that says, "LEARN MORE", with a some explanations of why some things can't be shipped to certain geographic areas.

At any rate, I am happy you were able to find the book and get it ordered.

There have been times when I did locate some places in Bangkok that could order books in. Also, I have had occasion for Bookazine to order a book, as long as I could give them the ISBN.

Good luck!

MSPain

I always wondered about that at 2nd hand book stores. It must drive the owner crazy sometimes. Even in my own extensive library I have difficulty if I don't return the book to the shelf it normally sits on. I have a lot of reference books at home on fishing, hunting, writing, art, travel etc. and if I am using one I take it away from the book shelf and don't always return it to the proper place. I can only imagine how it would be with 40 times as many books.

All the same, with 2nd hand bookshops, coming home with a heap of books you'd never heard about before is part of the fun.

(Also, seeing the names of previous owners inscribed within the covers.)

I used to buy 2nd hand records (yes! you know, those discs of music and more) in Australia and made many great random discoveries that way,

Edited by WaiWai

I have ordered many books from Amazon USA and they have shipped them to me in Chiang Mai.

I have also had items, including books, that were not available for shipping to Thailand. Many times it is not Amazon themselves that are providing the shipping.

I would not blame Amazon completely for something not being available for shipping to Thailand. They, or some of their associates, most certainly have had problems with items not being delivered to the final destination for one reason or another.

Find the ISBN for the book on some web site, then search for that number on the internet until you find a company that will ship to Thailand.

MSPain

Have you had any problems getting shipments to your door without being hung up in Thai Customs? The horror stories I have heard, have prevented me from ordering anything online for the almost 2 years I have lived her now. If not for this, I would order many things and have them shipped (books, movies, clothes, shoes, etc)..

All the same, with 2nd hand bookshops, coming home with a heap of books you'd never heard about before is part of the fun.

(Also, seeing the names of previous owners inscribed within the covers.)

I used to buy 2nd hand records (yes! you know, those discs of music and more) in Australia and made many great random discoveries that way,

I agree. The problem I have, is that I don't read fiction, and the non-fiction section of most CM Book stores is somewhat limited. I tend to link books related to current events. It seems that in this regards, most CM bookstores mainly stock the latest backpaper drivel (anti-american, anti-globalization, anti-bush, pro-drugs, etc) and not much else. I have however, had much success finding books that interest me at "The Lost Bookstore" (off the one-way soi on moon muang, just inside the moat) and the large bookstore right next door to the main Gecko Books branch.

I would say probably 80% of all the books I have purchased in CM have come from the place next door to Gecko. Additionally, I find that the books in this store are sorted extremely well and shelved in groupings that seem to make alot of logical sense to me. :)

I have to say that my main Gecko Books store has a ton of good non-fiction of every type. I am a reader as well as a bookstore owner and I prefer non-fiction at the moment.

We have lots and lots of excellent history, biographies, military non-fiction and a vast assortment of mixed non-fiction. We also have a decent selection of science, philosophy, psychology and other subjects. There are also lots of books on Thailand and South East Asia, although there are a good number of new books mixed in with them as well. Books on this area move very fast.

Don't forget to look in our Annex directly across the street from the original store as we just expanded it to twice as many books and there is plenty of good non-fiction there that is not on the other side of the street.

Amazon will certainly ship NEW books to Thailand. I have received many deliveries from them. They will not ship USED books, as far as I know. Most of Amazon's used books don't come directly FROM Amazon.

When ever I want used books I always go to Gecko Books. Besides having the largest inventory of used books in Chiang Mai, the books there are 'usually' in their correct places. The staff have always been able to help me find either an author or title that I've been looking for. I can't say this about most other used books shops. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that I've found it easier to find particular books in Gecko than in Kinokuniya in Bangkok! The Gecko staff certainly seem to know their stock better! I'm an avid reader and buy my books by the bag-full! I might pick up the occasional book elsewhere, but only as an impulse purchase. When I'm shopping for books, I know where I can find what I want!

It must be an overwhelming task to keep track of so many titles, authors, subjects, categories, etc. Especially when customers are always browsing, removing books from the shelves and putting them back into the wrong space. I know that I'm frequently guilty of that myself. Picture it... you have already selected 2-3 books, have them under your arm as you look for more, remove a book from a tightly packed shelf but decided that it isn't what you want. With only one hand free, it's all too easy to misplace it. I try to at least keep it on the same shelf, but sometimes that isn't even possible with only one hand. My hat's off to the staff of Gecko for managing to keep track of all those books! It's not an easy job.

Hello.

Thai customs and duty rules are spelled out pretty clearly. You can check with whomever would be the delivery entity in Thailand for the rules. (Thai Post, Fed Ex, UPS, etc.) In the past I also found the Thai Customs web site had quite clear explanations of Customs and Duty.

One thing you would probably be required to pay is tax, which is usually quite small.

I have found that Thai Post does not have the same Customs requirements (put on them) as the commercial delivery companies. If a delivery company were getting paid a commission on customs, they would certainly work it out differently. And if I remember correctly, the Thai Customs web site spelled out different Customs procedures for Thai Post and other companies. You would have to check on your own.

You are always taking a chance of something going missing. As an example, I had my brother send me a legal computer program cd from the USA... The package arrived empty. I researched how to file a claim and decided it wasn't worth it for me since I had a copy and the registration key.

Another consideration is what you would be ordering. Certain items have a much higher customs rate than others, just like in any other country. Part of a government's duty is to protect its own country's businesses, i.e.: USA protection of cotton products; auto products; etc., by emposing high duty rates on these items.

Personally I think you might have a problem having movies sent here for obvious reasons. Books are not so bad. Clothing might be a problem since clothing is produced in Thailand also. I have ordered martial arts shoes from Singapore and had no problem with them being delivered to my house by our postman.

ALL OF THIS IS MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. As you may have figured out, there will be many different views of how things work here.

Good luck!

MSPain

PS I have also experienced differences depending on where something is shipped from. The countries I can recall ordering things from are: USA, Canada, Germany, Australia, Japan, Singapore, and England.

MSPain

Have you had any problems getting shipments to your door without being hung up in Thai Customs? The horror stories I have heard, have prevented me from ordering anything online for the almost 2 years I have lived her now. If not for this, I would order many things and have them shipped (books, movies, clothes, shoes, etc)..

Just about everything that comes via the large commercial carriers will get well and truly taxed. FedEx, DHL, etc. all have their own Customs holding area, collect import tariffs for the Thai government (along with their own padding of the bill with insurance, storage, what ever they can tack on) and charge the customer before delivery. When ever possible, I have my shipments made via International Parcel Post, International Express Mail, or EMS. I have never had to pay any Customs duty when getting shipments this way, and never had one go missing. EMS is the safest of them all, with a tracking number that can be followed.

"The Lost Bookstore" (off the one-way soi on moon muang, just inside the moat) and the large bookstore right next door to the main Gecko Books branch.

I would say probably 80% of all the books I have purchased in CM have come from the place next door to Gecko. Additionally, I find that the books in this store are sorted extremely well and shelved in groupings that seem to make alot of logical sense to me. :)

I thought I knew most of the bookstores here. I may have missed the aptly named "The Lost Bookstore"

Mestizo, would you please give clearer directions to this store, and is there parking nearby? Thanks very much.

As for finding the books one wants, Gecko probably has the widest choice, the store next to Gecko main branch (backstreet books?) is great for more obscure books, a little shop near the Royal India ('backpacker books' or something) has some of the more discerning choices and the 99 baht shop next to where the Royal India *used* to be (behind Anusan market) where there's also plenty of parking is the cleanest, is air-conditioned and occasionally has some gems. I often walk out of this shop without buying anything (difficult to do at any of the other shops) because the choice is limited. Still worth the visit because of the occasional gems one finds at the knockdown price of 99. baht.

But more and more, I'm shopping online: Megabooks (currently offline for some reason), Asiabooks, Kinokuiya, for new books.Dasa and ThailandUsedBooks for used books. They all deliver to CM at little or no shipping cost. Browsing books online is not as much fun, but you can't beat the comfort. I'm sure my kids and I'll be buying more from gecko once they get their website database up and running.

Edited by Crow Boy
External links removed as per forum rules

I would say probably 80% of all the books I have purchased in CM have come from the place next door to Gecko. Additionally, I find that the books in this store are sorted extremely well and shelved in groupings that seem to make alot of logical sense to me. :D

Good reason for that, I would think! It's easy to find the books you want in ALL the Gecko branches! I guess there is also a good reason it's the only used book store in town that does have so very many branches!

I thought I knew most of the bookstores here. I may have missed the aptly named "The Lost Bookstore"

It can be a bit hard to find as it's pretty small. There are some gems among the dross, but finding them is more a matter of luck than good business practice. I like the shop for the surprise factor. I don't usually find anything to read there, and when I do, it's always a nice surprise! :D

As for finding the books one wants, Gecko probably has the widest choice, the store next to Gecko main branch (backstreet books?) is great for more obscure books,

I never really cared for backstreet books. I get a bad feeling when I go inside. There seems to be negative vibes or something going on in there. Staff appears to be bothered when someone asks for help. Not anything tangible... just not comfortable feelings. :)

snip

It can be a bit hard to find as it's pretty small. There are some gems among the dross, but finding them is more a matter of luck than good business practice. I like the shop for the surprise factor. I don't usually find anything to read there, and when I do, it's always a nice surprise! :D

As for finding the books one wants, Gecko probably has the widest choice, the store next to Gecko main branch (backstreet books?) is great for more obscure books,

I never really cared for backstreet books. I get a bad feeling when I go inside. There seems to be negative vibes or something going on in there. Staff appears to be bothered when someone asks for help. Not anything tangible... just not comfortable feelings. :)

My experience at Backstreet books has always been pleasent and fruitful. To me, the upside of your post is that since the experience you and I got at the same store are polar opposit, I became even more determined to visit "The Lost Bookstore". I found the location using mapjack

It's on Ratchmanka off Moonmuang just after Moonmuang soi 2. I'll be paying them a visit soon. here's a screenshot of the map:

post-22628-1243428752_thumb.png

• 1 month later...

Thanks to Ug I now have my copy of Sex Talk by Kaewmala (one copy at Gecko, we discussed this briefly in another thread). Great read.

Bit disappointed by the number of books in French at Gecko, just three or four shelves on one stand. Much less than in German for some reason. Could do with finding a better selection somewhere, I've a French speaker living with me for a couple of months who's an avid reader. Don't suppose there's much in Chiang Mai though...

I have had to get most of my French books from customers up till now, and in my experience, French people like to buy books, but not sell them, so it is difficult to get enough.

However, we have just started buying directly from someone in France very recently. Gecko Books should have MANY more good quality French books in a few months.

I forgot to mention that the main store has a good number of of French books and the other stores have a fair number as well. I do not think that wedders noticed them all. However, we should have a lot more good ones once we get a shipment from France.

Edited by Ulysses G.