Planning The Move Back To The West

Norrad

I left my home country for a bit of an adventure. Now that I have a family (wife) I have to start planning for the future. My options are severely limited in Thailand and I feel that we have more of a future back home.

I came here when I was 25, did the TEFL thing for a while and then worked in IT for a few years. I'm now 28, I have limited savings and I really want to build up our "nest egg" for the future. Who knows, I might come back and retire here when I'm older.

What you should think about is, how you are going to support your Thai wife when you arrive back in your home country?

Do you have a decent home or property already? Transport? Adequate savings? Secure permanent jobs?

If your wife’s English language or work skills are limited than it may be difficult for her to obtain work and you will have to be the main financial supporter.

Several years ago I knew an English guy about your age who spent some time in Thailand and he also considered it as an adventure.

He met a Young Thai girl in Bangkok, apparently fell in love and married her. Soon he and his wife decided to live in the UK. They stayed with his parents for a while, but his mother and wife could not get on, so they applied for council accommodation. They were given a council flat someone on some rough housing estate. After the first year the guy became unemployed and his wife became the supporter with her job as a waitress in a Thai restaurant.

Suddenly this great adventure faded away into an anti climax and the wife so he considered was now a burden. A few months later the couple divorced and his wife returned to Thailand.

So there is something to think about before you commit your wife to living in your home country.

'sassienie', you come over as such a stupid pryck at times.

In the OP Norad said that his wife speaks good English, and that they both have jobes lined up.

Is it only your own posts that you read or are you just a total "chok wow"

From MY experiences with the local thai community, My main advice for your wife is….

"Stay away "from other thais .

My wife lived in the states for 2 years. I would have to agree with teacup. We did actually meet 1 nice lady from Issan.

Have to agree there too. My first wife totally changed because of her contact with other Thais in Holland. All they did all day was think of ways to get more money from their husbands and making eachother jeallous about how much they got.

I had a Thai girl with me for a few years in Holland and the tales of the expat Thai girls there would make your hair curl..

Constantly suggesting she go turn tricks, gloating over what gold they had, who had the most money etc.. She shunned them after a few meetups and made good friends with my mates GF's.

I can understand why a Thai wife wants to move to the west. However, I'm always amazed as to why a farang wants to move BACK.

Farangland is still a shithole. The same reasons you left are still there.

The only difference is that you now have a wife. So, are you people saying that the only(main) reason you came to live in Thailand, was because of women. That's sad.

why is that sad?

I left my home country for a bit of an adventure. Now that I have a family (wife) I have to start planning for the future. My options are severely limited in Thailand and I feel that we have more of a future back home.

I came here when I was 25, did the TEFL thing for a while and then worked in IT for a few years. I'm now 28, I have limited savings and I really want to build up our "nest egg" for the future. Who knows, I might come back and retire here when I'm older.

What you should think about is, how you are going to support your Thai wife when you arrive back in your home country?

Do you have a decent home or property already? Transport? Adequate savings? Secure permanent jobs?

If your wife’s English language or work skills are limited than it may be difficult for her to obtain work and you will have to be the main financial supporter.

Several years ago I knew an English guy about your age who spent some time in Thailand and he also considered it as an adventure.

He met a Young Thai girl in Bangkok, apparently fell in love and married her. Soon he and his wife decided to live in the UK. They stayed with his parents for a while, but his mother and wife could not get on, so they applied for council accommodation. They were given a council flat someone on some rough housing estate. After the first year the guy became unemployed and his wife became the supporter with her job as a waitress in a Thai restaurant.

Suddenly this great adventure faded away into an anti climax and the wife so he considered was now a burden. A few months later the couple divorced and his wife returned to Thailand.

So there is something to think about before you commit your wife to living in your home country.

'sassienie', you come over as such a stupid pryck at times.

In the OP Norad said that his wife speaks good English, and that they both have jobes lined up.

Is it only your own posts that you read or are you just a total "chok wow"

When one has to resort to insults and bad language to get a point across, only confirms your lack of education and ignorance.

Also I suggest you install a spell checker, there is no e, in jobs.

Edited by sassienie

Most of what will make her happy you have to get in your home country and you probably would be prohibited from taking with you …like fish sauce. A keyboard with Thai and English letters (USB connector) on it would be about the only thing you might want to bring with you that I can think of.

So when you get there what probably will make her happy are:

Shop at places where she can buy Thai Food and things Thai like wooden elephants, Etc.

Buddha for the home

Locate and visit closest Thai Temple even if its 150 km away

Her own laptop

Fast internet connection for YouTube, webcam, phone, etc.

Conversational English classes

Dog (if she wants one and she can pick it out)

Driver’s license

Job to earn some spending money (its all hers you know) and credit in a retirement system if possible.

searchenginecolossus.com/Thailand.html and many others will get her everything Thai to read that she wants.

Edited by ronz28

I had a Thai girl with me for a few years in Holland and the tales of the expat Thai girls there would make your hair curl..

Constantly suggesting she go turn tricks, gloating over what gold they had, who had the most money etc.. She shunned them after a few meetups and made good friends with my mates GF's.

Simular experience with my thai wife in Holland.. only she got influenced.. started working in a bad massage and we broke up. A lot of bad thai girls in other countries.

Apart from seconding this "“Stay away “from other thais" ill add ,find your nearest thai supplies shop !,we had 4 years there and my wife loved it, in fact within a year we will be back there permanantly,.the reasons i came to thailand now have changed and my home is my home ,ive never felt settled in thailand, we will holiday 2 times a year and wil be fine,. good luck,...... :)

When I moved my wife to the US 18 years ago, the one thing that was insisted on was we had to get a new buddha image for the new country. Along with bringing all the existing buddha images.

After 16 years we moved back here two years ago. At first she did want to move back here. Now that she is here, she doesn't want to move back to the states.

The key to her adjustment was to keep busy by going to school to learn English and then working when she was comfortable with her new life.

Important not to push her into things too quickly. Give her time to adjust and do things at her own pace.

She will be almost completely dependent on you for a year or two until she finds her own way in the new world. Be supportive as much as possible.

Mostly common sense stuff. Good Luck.

Edited by Kickstand