Car Registration Renewal

whatchamacallit

This is not a new purchase but a renewal - We did this last year but we forget whether we need the letter of residence or not? Any input will be greatly appreciated.

For renewal you will only need the registration book.They will even not ask for passport or anything.

Car registration is only renewed on change of owner when a letter of residence is required, annual road tax however does not require a residence certificate but does require valid insurance certificate.

Blue car book, the little slip from the compulsory insurance and some cash.

If you car is younger then 7 years, you can do this at any post office, or at the Transport Department (behind the international School of the Regents).

If older then 7 years you have to go to the transport department for a technical check. Or alternatively one of the licensed test centers. There's a few on Sukhumvit, you can recognize them by a yellow sign looking like a big sprocket

Blue car book, the little slip from the compulsory insurance and some cash.

If you car is younger then 7 years, you can do this at any post office, or at the Transport Department (behind the international School of the Regents).

If older then 7 years you have to go to the transport department for a technical check. Or alternatively one of the licensed test centers. There's a few on Sukhumvit, you can recognize them by a yellow sign looking like a big sprocket

Thank you all for your input - Monty: My car is 2002 - which makes it 7 years old :-) Can I still go to the post office? There is a post office on Soi 5 in Jomtien - the same street the immigration office is on. Is that an official government post office or privately own post office? Can I take my truck there to be re-registered?

Just checked on one of our cars, the 8th tax payment was the first one where we needed to go for the technical check-up....

So if you (or previous owner) registered new in 2002, 2009 will be your 8th tax payment!

Just checked on one of our cars, the 8th tax payment was the first one where we needed to go for the technical check-up....

So if you (or previous owner) registered new in 2002, 2009 will be your 8th tax payment!

Monty - Thank you for the info - off we go to for the Tech Check up first then :-))

Could I just clarify please.

If my car is over 7 years old and I get the technical check done on Sukhumvit, do I still need to go all the way out to the Transport Office or can I do this (vehicle licence renewal ) at a post office?

Thanks

Edited by CRUNCHER

Monty can you clarify please.

if we go to a Sukhumvit test center for the technical checkup ( MOT in the UK ) will they also issue the tax disc at the test center ?

or do we have to go to the Land transport office for the Tax disc ?

or can we go to the post office after being issued with the MOT ?

or maybe the test center sends a "runner" to the land transport office on our behalf ( for a fee of course )

:D :D :D:)

The test centers do the check. They have no computer to do the road tax and issue decals.

They may offer a service to send a "runner" to the Land Dept for the payments.

I do my annual road tax payments at my insurance company offices. Sort of a one stop shopping trip. Pay all my insurances and the road tax. They do the leg work to the Land Office. Costs me 200 baht for the service.