Swimming In A Pond

Pierrot

A resort next to my place in Isan has transformed what is basically a pond in an aquatic playground. Not exactly a swimming pool but most of the activities involve, at a time or an other, swimming in the pond. Is it safe ? The kids are provided with safety jacket but what concern me most is the quality of the water.

As a kid I used to swim in rivers and lakes but here it's basically stagnant water. What do you think ? What are the risks involved ?

My Thought not safe, any and everything can get into and out door pond, not to mention what germs and bacteria some people will leave behind, best just pay the price and find a somewhat clean/well maintain swimming pool :):D

My Thought not safe, any and everything can get into and out door pond, not to mention what germs and bacteria some people will leave behind, best just pay the price and find a somewhat clean/well maintain swimming pool :):D

Don't worry, I won't swim there. When I take a bath, I fill the bathtub exclusively with Evian mineral water directly imported from France !

More seriously, I see on a regular basis Thai kids swimming in pond and water reservoir. What are the risk involved ?

If this thread is exclusively for people promoting swimming pool, let me know and I will post elsewhere. I was just thinking you guys were expert in water quality.

I'm no expert, but swam in ponds when younger and never caught anything except fish :)

Are there plants in the pond, fish?

And yes, this forum is really about building swimming pools, but at present I can't think of a better place. PM me if you want the thread moving, for now let's leave it here and see what answers are forthcoming :D

I'm no expert, but swam in ponds when younger and never caught anything except fish :)

Are there plants in the pond, fish?

And yes, this forum is really about building swimming pools, but at present I can't think of a better place. PM me if you want the thread moving, for now let's leave it here and see what answers are forthcoming :D

Thanks for your answer.

I was thinking in posting either here or in the farming forum, they know so much about life in the countryside.

There isn't much attraction in Isan and swimming is always fun. I guess the answer is when in Rome do as the Romans do ... :D

There's a couple of things I'd think about. One is a snail parasite that causes skin irritation and rash. Hoi Con aka Swimmers Itch see http://dermnetnz.org/arthropods/swimmers-itch.html

plus the possible runoff of farm chemicals into the pond.

Farm chemicals you can control, what worry me most is local parasite. If someone has more information, I would be very much interested to know more ...

There's a couple of things I'd think about. One is a snail parasite that causes skin irritation and rash. Hoi Con aka Swimmers Itch see http://dermnetnz.org/arthropods/swimmers-itch.html

Farm chemicals you can control, what worry me most is local parasite. If someone has more information, I would be very much interested to know more ...

Check with the Center For Disease Control (CDC) in the USA is usually good for reliable up to date for up to date info. You can reach them at www.cdc.gov/travel. I took a quick look just now and got this:

"Do not swim in fresh water (except in well-chlorinated swimming pools) to avoid infection with schistosomiasis. Leptospirosis, a bacterial infection often contracted through recreational water activities in contaminated water, such as kayaking, is common in tropical areas of Southeast Asia. (For more information, please see Swimming and Recreational Water Safety.) An outbreak was reported in Borneo among expedition travelers in 2000."

Good luck.

certainly an interesting thread. We have a pond close to our home in central thailand. locals swim there a lot every day. my wife is a nurse and has not heard of serious disease from swimmers here. I have been in this pond for 1h about once a week. Once i got a rasch, it disappeared within 5 days. This happened after one day when i walked in the water a lot (the rasch was only around the feet).

as of now, i am not certain its safe. but i do swim there, because i need the activity.

I am not sure if data from other parts of asia is or is not valid here. If someone as data on thailand ponds i would be grateful.

christian

Check with the Center For Disease Control (CDC) in the USA is usually good for reliable up to date for up to date info. You can reach them at www.cdc.gov/travel. I took a quick look just now and got this:

"Do not swim in fresh water (except in well-chlorinated swimming pools) to avoid infection with schistosomiasis. Leptospirosis, a bacterial infection often contracted through recreational water activities in contaminated water, such as kayaking, is common in tropical areas of Southeast Asia. (For more information, please see Swimming and Recreational Water Safety.) An outbreak was reported in Borneo among expedition travelers in 2000."

Good luck.

I have myself a pond which I use for swimming since 5 years.

No problem.

There are warnings from those who know everything better - I guess they sleep under 5 mosquito nets and keep their shoes on at night just to be save. Bilharzia is their most loved word. Well I didnt get it, the Thai kids dont get it, my wife was swimming in ponds and canals - she is now 55 and still did not get it...

But there are this waters where you get itching red spots all over you when you swim in it. I heard that it comes from very small worms which use snails and bird as alternating hosts. They get into humans by error only and do nothing but irritate your skin. The problem is: when you get into contact with them, your body will react to them - and remember them. Next time the reaction will be stronger - until you do not enjoy it any more. Some people do not develop any reaction to them - then it is no problem.

If you have a pond used for swimming, you may consider to not to keep any birds in it - like duck. The snails are more difficult to control, but it takes the two to make a problem.

In my ponds are the snails - but no birds. Neither I nor any of the kids had any problems.

In the huay on the other side of our village are the same snails and ducks - nobody goes for swimming there and if they have to catch fish there, it is always a job to find people for the outing

Regards

Thedi

I have myself a pond which I use for swimming since 5 years.

No problem.

There are warnings from those who know everything better - I guess they sleep under 5 mosquito nets and keep their shoes on at night just to be save. Bilharzia is their most loved word. Well I didnt get it, the Thai kids dont get it, my wife was swimming in ponds and canals - she is now 55 and still did not get it...

But there are this waters where you get itching red spots all over you when you swim in it. I heard that it comes from very small worms which use snails and bird as alternating hosts. They get into humans by error only and do nothing but irritate your skin. The problem is: when you get into contact with them, your body will react to them - and remember them. Next time the reaction will be stronger - until you do not enjoy it any more. Some people do not develop any reaction to them - then it is no problem.

If you have a pond used for swimming, you may consider to not to keep any birds in it - like duck. The snails are more difficult to control, but it takes the two to make a problem.

In my ponds are the snails - but no birds. Neither I nor any of the kids had any problems.

In the huay on the other side of our village are the same snails and ducks - nobody goes for swimming there and if they have to catch fish there, it is always a job to find people for the outing

Regards

Thedi

I have suffered the dreaded red spot on a number of occassions when working with water from my dam. Irritating but seemingly treatable.

I remember reading 5 - 6 years ago about a local parasite that inhabits fresh water ponds etc and is not good for non native people.As usual enters through cuts abrasions and possibly body orifices.

I have not swum in fresh water since

Any ideas or information??

I would also feel that there is a possibility of the conditions favouring menangitus which happens in australia regarly in the warmer months.

I also recall an article about snapping turtles normally eating worms etc and a Malasian man in a pond losing an appendage.

As mentioned above I swim in my pond since 5 years, maybe two or three times each week. I never got snapped by any turtles - but then my pond is more than 1000 km from Malaysia - which may explain that.

When I planed my first trip to Thailand - 30 years ago - I got five shots against many possible illnesses. I was warned: 'boil it, peel it or forget it'. I did not eat ice cream and certainly did not drink anything with ice in it. After 2 month I went back home without any symptoms of anything.

Then I came back regularly and forgot about this warnings. I began to eat papaya salad on food stalls, drank water wherever local people drank from, naturally enjoy now ice cream, and soon began to like life in Thailand even more. After each trip - and that is more than 60 trips now - I returned to Switzerland without any symptoms of anything.

I wadded bare footed through rice paddies, swam in huay and went repeatedly with people from our village to catch fish in rivers. Still nothing.

But maybe I am just a lucky devil - and you better keep your shoes on at night :)

Best regards

Thedi

Edited by thedi