Why A Lemon?

bannork

Reading the story of the woman trashing her car the other day I noticed the car was referred to as a lemon. Why should a lemon signify something of poor quality, why not a pineapple,or even a water melon?

An Australian professor told me it's because you feel sour after the experience of buying a 'lemon' but I remember as a boy standing on the football field and being bellowed at by the P.E. teacher,' Don't just stand there like a lemon, move the ball!' I don't recall feeling sour at the time, more like frozen to death on the N.Yorks tundra.

bannork

Edited by bannork

343963002.jpg

Exsqueeze me! I Lemon am feeling bitter over your sharp comments!

FYI Jock, Lemon-aid is a different branch for our under ripened kin elsewhere. L.A.F is a separate bunch!

Sorry to leave on such a sour note :D:D:o

343963002.jpg

Exsqueeze me! I Lemon am feeling bitter over your sharp comments!

FYI Jock,  Lemon-aid is a different branch for our under ripened kin elsewhere. L.A.F is a separate bunch!

Sorry to leave on such a sour note :D  :D  :D

I'm not sure but I think you are trying to take the pith out of this topic

LOL :D

(Absolutly not! I'm merely trying to get to the core of the problem, pip pip! :o )

I recall the song on Led Zeppelin 1 where Robert Plant sings,"(she) squeezed my lemon till the juice ran down my leg', it's an old blues song, Ledbelly? Whatever , it goes to show that at one time the lemon was an object desired, to be protected and cherished, at least by the male species.

So, what went wrong?

bannork