Do You Actually Carry Your Passport/visa In Bangkok

phetaroi

Here on a 90-day non-immigrant visa that will convert to retirement visa in August.

If traveling through country, or driving, or conducting business, I carry my passport/visa.

What do you all do for everyday living in Bangkok?

Carry your passport/visa?

Carry Xerox copy of passport/visa and keep passport/visa in safe in condo?

Other?

Thanks

I've lived here for 10 years and never carried my passport unless travelling upcountry. As you are probably aware, we are supposed to have it on us at all times, but in those 10 years I've never been stopped by any police and asked for it.

Here on a 90-day non-immigrant visa that will convert to retirement visa in August.

Just a bit of semantics correction here, but I think what you meant was that in August, you will apply for a 1 year extension to your 90 day Non-Imm permission to stay stamp based on retirement.

Actually, there is no such thing as a retirement visa.

TH

Photocopy.......I was stopped and showed my Thai licence but still the police wanted to take me to the station.....after a good 20 minutes they let me go with the advice of carrying a photo copy

Let me guess, this happened in Thonglor District?

Just a bit of semantics correction here, but I think what you meant was that in August, you will apply for a 1 year extension to your 90 day Non-Imm permission to stay stamp based on retirement.

TH

Hola.I have Stamps in my passport who say Retirement..What are those stamps 4? did i miss something?

Photocopy.......I was stopped and showed my Thai licence but still the police wanted to take me to the station.....after a good 20 minutes they let me go with the advice of carrying a photo copy

Let me guess, this happened in Thonglor District?

Were you there?????yes it was..I dont and never have been interested in drugs, the police checked my arms for needle marks and a full search including private parts.....they were very polite talking about Man U all the time.....they wanted to go to the station to 'take blood' which I agreed to and at that point they let me go....anyway since then I have always carried a photcopy showing passport as they suggested.

TH

Okay. Now shall I correct your punctuation?

Were you there?????yes it was..I dont and never have been interested in drugs, the police checked my arms for needle marks and a full search including private parts.....they were very polite talking about Man U all the time.....they wanted to go to the station to 'take blood' which I agreed to and at that point they let me go....anyway since then I have always carried a photcopy showing passport as they suggested.

That happens all the time there. They were trying to extract a bribe from you. They didn't actually care about your passport, 1000 baht would have gotten you outa there 20 minutes earlier.

And no, I don't carry it. Carrying your passport around in your pants would destroy it. In the worst case scenario I'd have to pay a small bribe, I would much rather do that than have my passport destroyed or lost.

For Thai's its the Law for them to carry a Thai ID card. A Thai driving license is not sufficient.

It is required by Law that aliens carry their passport at all times. A Thai driving license is not sufficient.

IF you want to ensure that you are following the Law to its fullest extent, you must carry your passport. However, most people, Police included recognize the potential issues and inconvenience involved with this and the potential loss of a passport.

For me, as photo ID a drivers license from my home country has always been fine, for many a Thai drivers license is fine, and for many others, a photocopy of their passport is fine.

Personally even though I don't do it, a photocopy of your passport is probably the best option. Also including your visa page...

With all thats being discussed the biggest impact anything will have when dealing with an situation that requires you to provide ID is your attitude...

No, never. The only time they ask is when they don't know the English words "driving licence". And that's in 12 years. No photocopy, but do carry an international driving licence.

Sod's law I'll be asked for it tomorrow.

If traveling through country, or driving, or conducting business, I carry my passport/visa.

What do you all do for everyday living in Bangkok?

Carry your passport/visa?

Carry Xerox copy of passport/visa and keep passport/visa in safe in condo?

Other?

Thanks

I always carry my Thai Driving License and a copy of the main page and visa page of my passport. Never been asked to show to the police but many times to hotel, phone company etc. Don’t forget if a company wants a copy and you to sign that copy, always write the reason why you have given this copy eg change of mobile phone plan. Now I seem to be able to get away with using my driving license as ID.

I've lived here for 10 years and never carried my passport unless travelling upcountry. As you are probably aware, we are supposed to have it on us at all times, but in those 10 years I've never been stopped by any police and asked for it.

Same. Visiting & living here 10 years. What a coincidence.

Don't carry it unless travelling far north. Another coincidence. Only time ever asked for it was during the unrest times - post coup..

16 years and carry photocopy of passport main page only but never asked for it in Bangkok. The only time I've been asked is at the check points they have on the roads around the Burmese border.

Once you get away from the border, even if they stop you they don't ask for the passport anymore

• 1 month later...

I've been coming to Thailand for 6 years, lived here the last 2 1/2 years & I only carry a XRX/fofocopy of my passport, including main, visa, entry pages & departure card (TM. 6). I've used it for many things, but not a serious altercation w/ BIB, no problems - banks, shops, hotels, etc..

Also, I have NOT signed any of my credit cards for over 10 years, in the Americas & around Asia - instead, I write " ASK FOR ID " in the signature block on the back of the card. I am very rarely asked for any ID! However, one time, in Thailand, a store would not accept my card until I actually signed the charge slip " ASK FOR ID " - I tried to explain (in my poor Thai/their poor English) but no go - "Sign like it say!" OK, signed it " ASK FOR ID ", no problem!

TIA(sia) - over-populated & under-liberated!

Edited by pTh