Turned Down At Us Embassy

My fiancee got turned down at the embassy because I didn't do my taxes in 2008. I was told I didn't need to file because I only worked 2 months of 2008. In the states I always used H & R Block to do my taxes. They were done within 2 weeks. Is there anywhere in Bangkok I can go to do this for me?

I am assuming that they gave you a 221 g request for more information which means that the visa application (without providing further documentation) is denied. If the evidentiary deficiency can be remedied within a year of the denial's issuance, then the visa application will likely obtain approval.

I believe the Embassy has fliers in the waiting room that give the names and contact information of accountants that are able to prepare American tax returns.

Hope this was helpful and good luck,

Ben Hart

US Immigration Attorney

Integrity Legal

1-877-231-7533

+66 (0) 2-266-3698

Edited by DirectorIntegrityLegal

Thanks for the help. I can't get any W2s from my teaching job here. Is this a problem? Does anyone know what forms I need to fill out? I haven't done my 2007 or 2008 taxes. I've been here for a couple years. Well thanks again for everything. I have a 1 year old son here but don't have his SS card yet. So I guess I can't put him down as a dependant.

Since you are working outside the states you have to make a lot more money than you have made here to paylany taxes. But you still have to pay social security. You need to check into this a bit more. Look at the website I gave you a link to in the pulications section you can find a guide for people working outside the country.

A good accuntant should be able to sort things out. But you may have to pay the social security taxes.

You don't have to have a W2 to file taxes if you are working outside the US just some type of proof. Are you paying taxes here because that can also be written off.

"I can't get any W2s from my teaching job here. Is this a problem?"

You haven't paid taxes for a couple years, you haven't gotten married but managed to have a child, and you haven't gotten your son a social security card. Did "life" just happen to sneak up on you by surprise?

You can file your income tax without a W-2 form, and both the IRS and TurboTax can set you straight.

I am not a Tax attorney, so take what I say with a grain of salt and consult a better qualified professional, but I believe the Foreign earned income exemption allows those Americans living outside of the USA for 335 days per year to be exempt from income tax. There is a ceiling and I believe if you earn less than somewhere in the area of the mid 80's K you can enjoy the exemption. It is still wise to file a tax return in order to avoid confusion with the tax authorities down the road. Again, consult a professional, licensed to handle such things.

Good Luck!