You See A Guy Beating On A Girl

sassienie

I would grab him, trow him against the wall, and ask what the fuc_k is wrong son.

Excuse my ignorance but, just for kicks, can someone explain to me why it is ok to throw a man against the wall and threaten him, but not ok to slap a woman across the face?

Is it because women are weak and need to be protected?

Or is it because you should stand up when a woman enters the room?

Or what?

I have no desire to hit any woman, but I'd be interested to hear why so many posters feel so strongly about it.

I agree - if a woman deserves being slapped then so be it - not that I ever have (except my older sister when I was a boy - and that was a big mistake). It's only like a big guy slapping a smaller guy.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday I was visiting the Computer Plaza in Chiang Mai.

Once I finished with my purchases, left the building and began walking towards my motorbike.

Then I noticed by the building entrance door, a young tall Thai guy age about 19 dressed in university uniform having a serious argument with a very short Thai girl who looked about the same age also dressed in university uniform.

Suddenly the guy gave the girl an almighty slap in the face. On seeing this I quickly walked over to the guy and stood next to him. He towered over me, but I looked up at him and stared straight into his eyes giving him the message that if he is considering beating on this girl again, he is going to have to deal with me first.

Than he took out his mobile phone, put it to his ear and slowly walked away, leaving the shocked girl standing with me outside the Plaza.

I watched him disappear around the corner, and then I got onto my motorbike and drove off. The girl hardly acknowledged me at all.

When I arrived home I explained to my wife what happened. She said it was a stupid thing to do because the guy could have had a knife.

But I don't care; feel that I done the right thing even if some may believe it's better to be a live coward than a dead hero.

What would you have done in that situation?

My friends and family all tell me that one day I will end up dead, but I just cannot let things like that happen when I am around. Glad you stepped in and good to know I am not the only " fool" Good job !! :D

I agree, I everybody did this, the world would be better. Maybe they had just an argue, but slapping a woman, than you are realy a low-life person. I would grab him, trow him against the wall, and ask what the fuc_k is wrong son. If he gives no resanoble answer, K.O for him. :)

Then you're outta the country for a girl who probably didn't even notice you were there, and certainly wouldn't bear witness in court against her bf for you.

We know and have been teached, it's not tolerated to hit a woman, whatever she did.

OK, but why is that?

Maybe it's a Christian thing, I don't know also further how to eplain.

I have been tought not to hit a woman but i have pinned one down who came at me with a knife. Sad thing is if i had hit her im sure i would be in jail even though she pulled a knife.

Some people may not believe, but here in The Netherlands, or Holland how people wanna cal it, the laws are made overprotective. Like a burgler comes in my house, tries to steal the televison, and I knock him out of the house. I'm the one who's jailed, not the burgler, because I'm not allowed to hit him, according the law. So better to say: "please take the television" close the door for him, and after that cal the police, which will do nothing at all. :)

I've seen it before once in Pattaya, like now I would stay out of it. I might get closer to discourage the guy but would not stare him down. Now if he was spanking her I might get closer and she was going along with it,:) but I think it might be best to stay out of it.

Drive on by unless I was related to either party (then I'd probably stop, arm myself, and intercede).

I also would drive on by when I see people without health insurance or with an irresponsibly large mortgage. Their problem, not mine.

:)

I would grab him, trow him against the wall, and ask what the fuc_k is wrong son.

Excuse my ignorance but, just for kicks, can someone explain to me why it is ok to throw a man against the wall and threaten him, but not ok to slap a woman across the face?

Is it because women are weak and need to be protected?

Or is it because you should stand up when a woman enters the room?

Or what?

I have no desire to hit any woman, but I'd be interested to hear why so many posters feel so strongly about it.

It's not ok to throw a man against the wall and threaten him, just like it's not ok to hit a woman. I can't speak for everyone else, but it isn't just a gender issue for me. What I object to is anyone who is physically bigger and stronger than another person using violence to intimidate them. The OP was trying to prevent that from happening. Note that he didn't use any force against the guy, he just got in the way and stared him down.

You did the right thing mate, he could have had a knife but he didnt use it on you so the outcome was that you protected that girl. I do hear many westerners and Thais saying to keep out of situations like that but people that say that kind of thing at home I never quite understood and neither did my friends. It doesnt matter where you are, if something is wrong its wrong, hats off to you sir, if only everyone looked after everyone the same way.

I agree with you too, on principle. However, a local low life family moved opposite our house and their kids knocked one of our neighbours off her push bike and gave her young son a couple of digs when he was on the ground. They were making a move to do the same to his mother but I made an appearance on the scene. I made it very plain that I considered them scum.. Parents didn't like this and they then targeted us. Upshot, they attacked me outside of my gate by blindsiding me in the dark when returning home from the local Mum and Pop shop. Three of the four attackers (both parents of the thugs and one of their uncles who lived 200 mtrs up the road) got six months jail suspended. The police wouldn't hunt down the fourth as he was very probably connected to or police himself. The result, they put word around the village that if this was the south I would be dead already. My wife and I talked to close Thai friends about this - laywers and judges. They all agreed that if we stayed this could very well be the outcome - just give some hopped up teenagers a few free ya baas (the local police said that they have long suspected the two families of low level traficking) and job done! We moved :D

doesn't pay to get too involved with the Thais. You won't be thanked for it! :)

Lets take the same scenario to a higher level. Should England have turned a blind eye when Hitler invaded Poland and France? Hey, England has always been closer to Germany than France. Should the USA have turned the other cheek when Japan bombed Pearl Harbour? Hey, the Japanese were just trying to assure they had a viable oil supply for the future. Should Israel turn the other cheek when Palistinian bombers continually blow up public places?

The world is full of choices where there is no right and no wrong way to react... and both can be equally dangerous.

So the tall guy is Hitler/Hirohito/PLO, the girl is Poland/Hawaii/Israel and OP midget is England/USA? But OP and tall guy used to be buddies. And the girl is now a plumber working days in North London and nights at Trader Vic's? And OP is a freedom fighting armed terrorist group with excellent motorways and a thing for schoolgirl knickers?

Who was Switzerland again?

Switzerland was the 'Bummee Moo Dang' yellow noodle vendor watching on as she did business outside 7/11 :):D

There's an ongoing govt infopromo showing some guy beating up a woman in the street and a crowd of onlookers. The infopromo then shows one of the onlookers going to stop the asshol_e hitting her again, and the tagline is along the lines of you must go to the assistance of any woman in such a situation.

This is so prevalent in Thai society it needs to have it's own govt infopromo? Can you imagine the govts in the west feeling the need to put out an infopromo on this?

Of course you should step in you wusses :)

By the by, pity they don't put out infopromos on bloody littering too ...

Slapping a woman is hardly the same as beating her up is it.

What if a woman slapped a guy really hard? Would you all shove her against the wall and knock her out???

Admit it - if a woman was going crazy against some guy, you might (if he really needed help) hold her back or something, why not the same with a guy? What's with this macho need to attack him...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with walking up close to a couple arguing as to let them know you are there if things get out of hand. And I very much doubt it would ever escalate from that to a real fistfight or pulled blade against the third party if he remains silent and passive.

Good job, OP. But don't expect a thanks from either party, just be happy it stopped for the moment.

//signed: The guy that broke up fights in bars when needed. And still alive.

Edited by TAWP

It's good to see chivalry isn't dead. Just remember, all you heroes out there, Prince Valiant had a sword and a horse.

I would have stood as close to the mall doors, and as far away from the two lovers, as possible. Maybe even hid my face, but yelled Yo! as loud as I could. In that situation, you have an enraged male carrying who knows what. Do you really believe that was the first time he slapped her?

Edit: and, you can get in trouble by very much doubting anything.

Edited by Shotime

Slapping a woman is hardly the same as beating her up is it.

What if a woman slapped a guy really hard? Would you all shove her against the wall and knock her out???

Admit it - if a woman was going crazy against some guy, you might (if he really needed help) hold her back or something, why not the same with a guy? What's with this macho need to attack him...

Yes, but this was the slaps of all slaps.

I was surprised her teeth didn’t fall out. Her head went on the rebound and if that’s not considered as a beating, than I don’t know what is.

On reflection now of what I done, still believe it was the right thing to do.

Whatever action the girl decided to take later on is not my business and quite frankly, I don’t care.

All I know is that I unintentionally was on the scene at the time, done my bit when it was required.

The guy was quite tall for a Thai. He was about 6ft, young strong and fit. I am 57, 5ft 6ins, weighing in at 10 st. I am not brave by any means, if there had of been several guys attacking this girl I probably would have thought twice or even a hundred times before approaching them and sticking my neck out.

When this happened it was just my instant reaction to the event, I never really thought about it or made any considerations before getting involved. This overrode any fears. I felt more scared afterwards because than I had time to think of what danger I had put myself in.

But this is my character and would probably do the same again in similar circumstances. Maybe come unstuck one day, who knows, what will be will be, as my grandmother used to say.

Edited by sassienie

I hope all the 'gents' here remember that chivalry if they ever find themselves homeless and near penniless in a foreign land (with visa runs still to be made) because of choices made by their wives or gal pals... like the Brit fella and now German fella that we've had to deal with this year. Both fellas went on and on about wanting to do harm to these women if they ever found them... maybe it was just talk... but I doubt it'd just be a single slap across the face.

:)

Is it bad to throw a punch back at a woman if she wants to knock your block off?

IMO I think it is, I think hitting a woman is wrong unless she is willing to hit you, if she is willing to hit you then she should be willing to take one too. As alot of woman who hit men know that men dont usually hit females and take advantage of that.

Equal rights IMO.

Once I finished with my purchases, left the building and began walking towards my motorbike.

Then I noticed by the building entrance door, a young tall Thai guy age about 19 dressed in university uniform having a serious argument with a very short Thai girl who looked about the same age also dressed in university uniform.

Suddenly the guy gave the girl an almighty slap in the face. On seeing this I quickly walked over to the guy and stood next to him. He towered over me, but I looked up at him and stared straight into his eyes giving him the message that if he is considering beating on this girl again, he is going to have to deal with me first.

Than he took out his mobile phone, put it to his ear and slowly walked away, leaving the shocked girl standing with me outside the Plaza.

I watched him disappear around the corner, and then I got onto my motorbike and drove off. The girl hardly acknowledged me at all.

When I arrived home I explained to my wife what happened. She said it was a stupid thing to do because the guy could have had a knife.

But I don’t care; feel that I done the right thing even if some may believe it’s better to be a live coward than a dead hero.

You did the right thing. Ultimately the only thing you need to satisfy is your continence, not your wife’s opinion and certainly not this forums, if you had not acted it would have bothered you for a long time.

Certainly compromising your principles is a much higher price to pay, than placing your self in a little danger. :)

I suggest you interfere if you have some training in self-defence. If you have been trained to defend against knifes, punches, kicks and guns pointed at you like Krav Maga or Kali or whatever... MAYBE you might consider stepping in if the situation seems OK to you.

Most regular guys have no training in martial arts/self defence so they fight like schoolboys - They don't know how to evade attacks or block or strike properly. Trying to save someone when you are not sure that you can save yourself is extremely dangerous and stupid.

I suggest you interfere if you have some training in self-defence. If you have been trained to defend against knifes, punches, kicks and guns pointed at you like Krav Maga or Kali or whatever... MAYBE you might consider stepping in if the situation seems OK to you.

Most regular guys have no training in martial arts/self defence so they fight like schoolboys - They don't know how to evade attacks or block or strike properly. Trying to save someone when you are not sure that you can save yourself is extremely dangerous and stupid.

What you talking about?Didn't you know that the majority of TV members is ex-SAS. :)

But I don't care; feel that I done the right thing even if some may believe it's better to be a live coward than a dead hero.

You must be a very tiny man to have a Thai tower over you.

Upcountry wife/tee rak/sister beating is a national pastime.

I have a little poll i am conducting, whenever i meet a girl i always ask "you have thai man?". 99% said no. Then I ask "you have

thai man before?" 97% say yes. I then ask "He boxing you?" 94% said yes.

Which bar wife u work?

You must be a very tiny man to have a Thai tower over you.

Mate, the younger Thai's are actually getting taller these days. My brother in law is 17 and is 6'3. There getting bigger.

So no one can explain why it is wrong to hit a woman.

I would say more specifically, it is seen as wrong for a man to hit a woman. This is based on ancient traditional views of men and women and their idealized roles in society, where men were seen as protectors and providers, and women were seen as nurturers who were dependent on men. Also, women were almost universally perceived as being smaller, weaker and less aggressive than men. This is still mostly true today. This is not the fault of women, it is just genetics. It is not true in 100% of cases, but it is a tendency (and a rather large one).

It is also wrong for a woman to hit a man, but that is seen as crass, and in some cases comical, while it is seen as brutal for a man to hit a woman. What are considered to be "right" or "wrong" is a matter of morality, which is not universal but is the consensus of the members that make up a society at a given time. So if you are looking for objective "rights" and "wrongs," you are going to have a hard time pinning it down here, since this forum is made up of members from all over the world.

Our sense of justice in Western civilization objects to bigger stronger people threatening or abusing smaller, weaker people. We even make movies, comic books, folk legends, etc. about this subject. It's practically branded into our cultural identity. When we see it happen, we start playing through our heads our little underdog, superhero, David and Goliath fantasy, and want to see the big, strong guy get the smackdown.

That's just the cultural backdrop that we grew up with. Not 100% of the people in Western civilization subscribe to this, but the majority do and it shapes our consensus of what we consider to be right and wrong.

That is why it is wrong for a man to hit a woman.