You See A Guy Beating On A Girl

sassienie

Yesterday I was visiting the Computer Plaza in Chiang Mai.

Once I finished with my purchases, left the building and began walking towards my motorbike.

Then I noticed by the building entrance door, a young tall Thai guy age about 19 dressed in university uniform having a serious argument with a very short Thai girl who looked about the same age also dressed in university uniform.

Suddenly the guy gave the girl an almighty slap in the face. On seeing this I quickly walked over to the guy and stood next to him. He towered over me, but I looked up at him and stared straight into his eyes giving him the message that if he is considering beating on this girl again, he is going to have to deal with me first.

Than he took out his mobile phone, put it to his ear and slowly walked away, leaving the shocked girl standing with me outside the Plaza.

I watched him disappear around the corner, and then I got onto my motorbike and drove off. The girl hardly acknowledged me at all.

When I arrived home I explained to my wife what happened. She said it was a stupid thing to do because the guy could have had a knife.

But I don’t care; feel that I done the right thing even if some may believe it’s better to be a live coward than a dead hero.

What would you have done in that situation?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You did the right thing mate, he could have had a knife but he didnt use it on you so the outcome was that you protected that girl. I do hear many westerners and Thais saying to keep out of situations like that but people that say that kind of thing at home I never quite understood and neither did my friends. It doesnt matter where you are, if something is wrong its wrong, hats off to you sir, if only everyone looked after everyone the same way.

Edited by james24

You do not swim with sharks.I would maybe have done the same as you , But this is the land of smiles.The Girl will probably have a brother,or her father , they will sort it.You did not know what it was about not that its an excuse to hit any woman or man come to think of it ,Violence is lack of a brain in my mind. But good on you .

I think that it was very nice that you went over because if you had not, he may have hit her more, but this is Thailand, and people dont want to get involved in this type of thing especialy the Thai folk, they just turn a blind eye most of the time and look the other way regarding any trouble.

I know its very frustrating to see a guy hitting a girl a lot smaller than him.

Good on you for trying to help anyway. :)

Once I finished with my purchases, left the building and began walking towards my motorbike.

Then I noticed by the building entrance door, a young tall Thai guy age about 19 dressed in university uniform having a serious argument with a very short Thai girl who looked about the same age also dressed in university uniform.

Suddenly the guy gave the girl an almighty slap in the face. On seeing this I quickly walked over to the guy and stood next to him. He towered over me, but I looked up at him and stared straight into his eyes giving him the message that if he is considering beating on this girl again, he is going to have to deal with me first.

Than he took out his mobile phone, put it to his ear and slowly walked away, leaving the shocked girl standing with me outside the Plaza.

I watched him disappear around the corner, and then I got onto my motorbike and drove off. The girl hardly acknowledged me at all.

When I arrived home I explained to my wife what happened. She said it was a stupid thing to do because the guy could have had a knife.

But I don't care; feel that I done the right thing even if some may believe it's better to be a live coward than a dead hero.

Same, but with furious anger.

Vertical dogs.

About 40 years ago back in England, my Dad saw a man giving some woman a hel_l of a beating in the street.

My Dad grabbed hold of the man and pulled him back. Than they both turned on my Dad and he ended up making a run for it.

Like father, like son I suppose.

Glad you did it but most Thais do not know how to deal with anger so that's why similar situations sometimes escalate pretty quick.

What?

You should hear the neighbours going at it sometimes. How they don't end up killing at least one family member is beyond me.

About 40 years ago back in England, my Dad saw a man giving some woman a hel_l of a beating in the street.

My Dad grabbed hold of the man and pulled him back. Than they both turned on my Dad and he ended up making a run for it.

f-me its Batman and Boywonder

I dont understand? You didnt do anything except place yourself in danger. She didnt thank you, your wife thinks ya nuts.

What more do you need from us? You are clearly confused by your inaction. Might have been an interactive M&S class that ya wrecked!

Maybe they wanted a threesome? Who cares. Get a couple beers, pack a baseball bat..

BR>Jack

I dont understand? You didnt do anything except place yourself in danger. She didnt thank you, your wife thinks ya nuts.

What more do you need from us? You are clearly confused by your inaction. Might have been an interactive M&S class that ya wrecked!

Maybe they wanted a threesome? Who cares. Get a couple beers, pack a baseball bat..

BR>Jack

Well, maybe you have a point and I`m not totally disagreeing with you, only I certainly take offence that you are accusing me of being confused. I knew exactly what I was doing.

I have a 19 year old daughter and would hate to think of her in a similar situation with bystanders not lifting a finger to help her.

I think it`s a sad world where people can turn a blind eye in a situation when a young girl is getting beaten up in a public place right in the centre of crowds of people.

Everyone has their own opinions and in my case, I would do the same again. If I get hurt in the process than so be it, that`s up to me, but I would certainly feel worse if hearing that this girl was seriously injured or killed later on when maybe I had the chance of preventing this.

I have not created this thread because I want to know if I done the right thing or not, or looking for any applauses, just enquiring what others would have done in the same situation.

Edited by sassienie

...If I get hurt in the process than so be it, that`s up to me, but I would certainly feel worse if hearing that this girl was seriously injured or killed later on when maybe I had the chance of preventing this.

A guy working over his girl in a public place? I think that we all appreciate your idea of helping a damsel in distress, but you could have been knifed, killed, paralyzed or anything. Do you have a family that enjoys talking to you or people that you are responsible for? What would have happened if you died... Would you really want to leave your daughter for people that you do not know and more than likely could care weather you died or not? You have a responsibility to a 19 year-old. That should be your priority.

Anyway, my vote is in a situation like this, where you are not a local, and not 100% hip to the culture... I would walk on by and call the cops and let them deal with it.

Years ago copper friend of mine responded to a domestic disturbance... The people turned on him! Stay away from those things...

I'm a pretty big guy so I would have been the one towering more than likely. You did the right thing. I would have problem done something stupid like grab his arm and twist it rather hardly. I was raised to never strike a woman and as a man your job is too protect them, that is my opinion. Good on you.

...If I get hurt in the process than so be it, that`s up to me, but I would certainly feel worse if hearing that this girl was seriously injured or killed later on when maybe I had the chance of preventing this.

A guy working over his girl in a public place? I think that we all appreciate your idea of helping a damsel in distress, but you could have been knifed, killed, paralyzed or anything. Do you have a family that enjoys talking to you or people that you are responsible for? What would have happened if you died... Would you really want to leave your daughter for people that you do not know and more than likely could care weather you died or not? You have a responsibility to a 19 year-old. That should be your priority.

Anyway, my vote is in a situation like this, where you are not a local, and not 100% hip to the culture... I would walk on by and call the cops and let them deal with it.

Years ago copper friend of mine responded to a domestic disturbance... The people turned on him! Stay away from those things...

Chilvary is dead....

But I don't care; feel that I done the right thing even if some may believe it's better to be a live coward than a dead hero.

My friends and family all tell me that one day I will end up dead, but I just cannot let things like that happen when I am around. Glad you stepped in and good to know I am not the only " fool" Good job !! :)

I would have done the same, sassienie. In fact I have done the same. But, your wife is correct. The guy could have had a weapon, or his friends could have. I lost a dear friend in Canada who intervened in a dispute between a woman and her boyfriend in Victoria. Unfortunately, after being rescued by my friend, the stupid b!tch gave her boyfriend a knife who subsequently stabbed my friend with it, and who died at the scene.

It's a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't.

But I don’t care; feel that I done the right thing even if some may believe it’s better to be a live coward than a dead hero.

The guy towered over you....

Considering the fact that you are a midget, that was a pretty brave thing you did.

You do not swim with sharks.I would maybe have done the same as you , But this is the land of smiles.The Girl will probably have a brother,or her father , they will sort it.You did not know what it was about not that its an excuse to hit any woman or man come to think of it ,Violence is lack of a brain in my mind. But good on you .

[/quote The first time in Thailand I was in a restaurant with a girlfriend (thai).We saw a man (not a thai,a farang perhaps from the middle east) going verbally ballistic on a thai waitress at the next table to ours..After a few moments I said to him quite loudly.." are you okay ?"..he stopped yelling at her, glared at me very angrily, and sat down with his wife and kids, looking rather proud of his efforts to humiliate the poor waitress. The girlfriend got very angry with me, saying if I ever interferred again she would leave and not talk to me again. That happened later :) .

The guy towered over you....

Considering the fact that you are a midget, that was a pretty brave thing you did.

Some Thais are 190+, but still flat as a board.

Anyway, it was a good and brave thing to do. Not the accepted done thing under locals.

Well done.

I did a similar thing a few years ago but i was with a farang mate.

2 guys and 1 girl argueing and these were outside of their university we used to train at the uni gym. Anyway one guy slapped the girl and we stepped in.

Same reaction as yours. Guys slooped off and the girl slooped off too in opposite direction.. no thanks or anything...

weird as no thanks and the same situation and guys slapping girls! <deleted> is that all about?

I'm not as old as your Father, but I had a similar experience. It was pretty nasty, but before anyone could do anything, she was pleading with him to let her back in the car.

I'm not sure what I'd do.

Well done.

I did a similar thing a few years ago but i was with a farang mate.

2 guys and 1 girl argueing and these were outside of their university we used to train at the uni gym. Anyway one guy slapped the girl and we stepped in.

Same reaction as yours. Guys slooped off and the girl slooped off too in opposite direction.. no thanks or anything...

weird as no thanks and the same situation and guys slapping girls! <deleted> is that all about?

Because the girl will have to answer about the saviour, you, later to that guys. If she would have been friendly to you, the guys would have more reason to get mad at her. So her instinct told her better leave quiet.

Same case here with op.

I did a similar thing a few years ago in the UK when I saw a teenage girl being bullied by a gang, everyone was walking by in the middle of the town centre ignoring this crying girl who was getting hit. Cut a long story short I stopped it and walked her out of town and gave a taxi driver some money to take her home, I was happy to have helped....but.....

There are a lot of "what if's" in these situations, what if these blokes didn't back off when I threatened them, well, I would have planted the first one who was a big aggressive scumbag in his late teens but then i would have probably ended up in court and he would be all scrubbed up with his hair combed and him parents saying what a good kid he was and me the ex military guy with a shaved head and tattoos..... you can see where this is going, right?

I would do the samme again I think as some have said here it is just the way we were brought up, you don't hit girls and you don't walk on by but a split second decision takes only that, a split second.

Consequences can last much much longer.

I did a similar thing a few years ago in the UK when I saw a teenage girl being bullied by a gang, everyone was walking by in the middle of the town centre ignoring this crying girl who was getting hit. Cut a long story short I stopped it and walked her out of town and gave a taxi driver some money to take her home, I was happy to have helped....but.....

There are a lot of "what if's" in these situations, what if these blokes didn't back off when I threatened them, well, I would have planted the first one who was a big aggressive scumbag in his late teens but then i would have probably ended up in court and he would be all scrubbed up with his hair combed and him parents saying what a good kid he was and me the ex military guy with a shaved head and tattoos..... you can see where this is going, right?

I would do the samme again I think as some have said here it is just the way we were brought up, you don't hit girls and you don't walk on by but a split second decision takes only that, a split second.

Consequences can last much much longer.

Court appearance and possible custodian sentence for you in England. Helping someone in trouble is just plainly wrong in modern England and for heavens sake you are a responsible citizen and deciding to tackle a ferral youth running around causing trouble is just irresponsible and would have his liberal social workers up in arms and you arrested for breaching his civil rights!

I prefer Thai justice, take the perp back to the crime scene so the locals can have a piece of him...

"I prefer Thai justice, take the perp back to the crime scene so the locals can have a piece of him..."

That actually just happened here in the U.S. of A. They were beating this guy with 2 by 4rs. They're going to pin medals on them at city hall tomorrow.

Edited by Shotime