Where In Chiang Mai Is Best To Go For Young Farang

dennis13

hi guy's

i'm living in thailand (rayong) for a year now and plan to move to chiang mai for a while..

can you give me a few options where a 28 year old will have the most fun.. and maybe some adresses for renting a small room for a month or more if i like it there.

cheers guy's

hi guy's

i'm living in thailand (rayong) for a year now and plan to move to chiang mai for a while..

can you give me a few options where a 28 year old will have the most fun.. and maybe some adresses for renting a small room for a month or more if i like it there.

cheers guy's

Sorry Dennis your far to young for chiang mai, come back in ten years time :)

On a more serious note stacks of places to have fun for both young and old depending on your interests, I'm sure if you do a search on the forum there's a thread somewhere on the latest trendy bars to visit.

Probably the best areas would be near the University or nimmanehem rd [excuse my spelling but I can't be ar*$d to look it up].

I'm sure someone else can help you out on the cheap apartments, again plenty around in CM.

You'll find you have a lot more options here than in Rayong,

I'll get back to my oveltine and pipe now :D

hi guy's

cheers guy's

Sorry but if you are hoping to find peers of about your same age in Chiang Mai, than come back in another 45 years.

This is the land where old coffin dodgers come to have a last fling than die, but they dont.

Think I`m joking? You`ll soon find out for yourself.

Edited by sassienie

hi guy's

cheers guy's

Sorry but if you are hoping to find peers of about your same age in Chiang Mai, than come back in another 45 years.

This is the land where old coffin dodgers come to have a last fling than die, but they dont.

C'mon guys, it's not that bad here. Most, but not all, of the ex-pats living here are retirement age, but there are a lot of young backpackers who stay for weeks or longer. I don't know where the popular backpacker hang-outs are now, but if you ask around I'm sure you'll find them. If you're interested in a very sleazy after-hours disco, just look for Spicy's on the east side of the eastern moat bordering the old city. If you speak Thai the student bars around Nimmanhamin are a good option, with Warm Up being the most popular, but if you don't speak Thai you better bring someone who does.

I won't attempt to list the daytime activity options, I suggest getting a good guide book.

For a stay on unknown duration I suggest scouting out a few of the hundreds of guest houses in and around the old city. Since this is the low season you should have no problem finding spartan rooms in the 100 to 150 baht a night range, or very nice rooms with air con, mini-fridge, cable TV, etc. for 400 to 500 baht a night. If you find a place you like I'm sure you can negotiate a monthly rate.

There are plenty of young Farang living in CM whether they be teaching, working for NGO's, freelancers or business people. In fact I have observed a noticeable increase in the young Farang population over the past year.

I think you will like it Dennis CM is a great place to live.

Everybodys interpretation of fun is different, so without running the risk of stereotyping yourself i think we need to identify your definition of "fun" Being more specific would enable other posters to advise you in a much more informative way.

It is true that the majority here are retired but i have also noticed many young western families settling in chiang mai which is nice to see. As for people under the age of 30 they are definatley the minority (for the time being) but i'm sure given time this will change due to Chiang mai being a very agreeable place both for the aged, middle aged and the younger generation..

As for accomadation i would say nimmanhaemin area. Check into a guest house for a few days, grab a map and hire a bike for a few days until you find something that suits your needs/budget

Let's not forget that many of us old-timers were fairly young when we settled here. I was in my early 30s. One thing that I always liked about Chiang Mai was there was very little age related bigotry.

There were not many farangs and so many were complete nuts back then that you were happy to talk with anyone that was somewhat sane and it did not matter if they were young or old. Young guys hung out with old guys and vice versa.

This talk of separate places for fun is a step backwards as far as I am

concerned. :)

There are plenty of young Farang living in CM whether they be teaching, working for NGO's, freelancers or business people. In fact I have observed a noticeable increase in the young Farang population over the past year.

Likewise, I have noticed that as well.

hi guy's

cheers guy's

Its just possible you don't know this website which I think you'll find very helpful :

www.thailand-travel-help.com

There's lots of useful info on Chiang Mai compiled by this "young farang" from the UK.

A while ago there was a birthday party at Tuskers. I was surprised to see so many foreign people, aged between 25 and 35 years, who attended. I understood most of them are teachers.

So yes, I third that noticeable increase over the last few years.

indeed. the population of this message board is really not representative of the farang presence in chiang mai.

I'm a young farang in Chiang Mai!

We usually go to the reggae strip behind the UN Irish pub or if we're feeling adventurous Nimmahemin area is popular especially warm up even though it closes quite early. The cocktail van is a great place to end up but don't go there before about 1.30 AM.

Hope it's useful.

Khop khun kaa.

Let's not forget that many of us old-timers were fairly young when we settled here. I was in my early 30s. One thing that I always liked about Chiang Mai was there was very little age related bigotry.

There were not many farangs and so many were complete nuts back then that you were happy to talk with anyone that was somewhat sane and it did not matter if they were young or old. Young guys hung out with old guys and vice versa.

fun is fun for a young man so any nite u have 2000 baht to spend .....being 28 years old you will be a king at foxy lady go go bar with the oh so sweet young girls there fighting over you....... go early for a "date" about 8:30 to 9:30 ... the prettier ones get "asked out" on a "dates" early...this is more fun that getting warmed up at Warm Up or trying to figure out the local collage girls if you are only up here "short time" as you indicated your time is precious .

have fun!!!

Edited by gatorhead333

fun is fun for a young man so any nite u have 2000 baht to spend .....being 28 years old you will be a king at foxy lady go go bar with the oh so sweet young girls there fighting over you....... go early for a "date" about 8:30 to 9:30 ... the prettier ones get "asked out" on a "dates" early...this is more fun that getting warmed up at Warm Up or trying to figure out the local collage girls if you are only up here "short time" as you indicated your time is precious .

have fun!!!

strange as it might seem to some, this is not necessarily the idea of a great night out for every farang aged below 40 in chiang mai. it is possible to have a very nice social life in chiang mai without behaving like a walking stereotype.

have fun!!!

strange as it might seem to some, this is not necessarily the idea of a great night out for every farang aged below 40 in chiang mai. it is possible to have a very nice social life in chiang mai without behaving like a walking stereotype.

help me out here??? a walking stereotype? o.k. is this someone that does not like beautiful girls??

most men under 80 years old enjoy beauty ,enjoy the company of willing women... a stereotype ? just to let you know this is also called a man.I am so glad we have the religous morality police here now on TV .... flown in from Iran??.....

Chiang Mai also has a large community of gay and lesbian expats, so there is lots to do for visitors of every persuasion! :)

UG ,oh yah.... sorry .. apologise to the above poster... i do not think in this realm much at all... but yeh sure...

different boats for different folks...

fun for all in beautiful , laid back, accepting chiang mai...CM is paridise found for everybody !!

Edited by gatorhead333

have fun!!!

if you like a girl company then go on a sat. nite haev your foxy lady stereo typical experience then on sunday morning you can viist one or some of the many churches,temples and libraries here in Chiang mai for reflection of how you could bave done better or perhaps to ask forgiveness from your particular God and even possibly even gain merit whichever one applies for you to feel great about saturday nites stereo typical but oh so blistful social follies...

then just relax and feel te energy of your body flow....

Edited by gatorhead333

hi guy's

cheers guy's

Wow, that is EXACTLY what I wanted to say! Most definitely true!!

have fun!!!

Yes Mr H, I completely agree, although in my cynical mind all men are addicted to sex, the op was asking about where to hand out with cool people to have a good time, and hopefully at 28 is not desperate enough yet for the bangkok shufflin' foxy lady chicks!

have fun!!!

What does he need the 2000 Baht for???

hi guy's

cheers guy's

Wow, that is EXACTLY what I wanted to say! Most definitely true!!

Hmm... Just got back from Fabrique... No shortage of young farang there.

I heard that they were caught serving E in the coffee.

But I also heard that it was just a big publicity stunt.

who cares.

The garden area is great. A lot of hot Thai girls, and the toilet is grand. But the music in the Thai side is too loud, and the dance music on the other side is shit - but that's to be expected somewhere like Chiang Mai.

But as far as places for young farang in CM go, it's pretty fuc_kin good.

If only Thailand still had the relaxed licensing laws it used to, Chiang Mai would be a much better place to party.

Another thing to thank Mr. Thaksin for.

Cheers buddy

As someone who is in the 20/30 crowd, I'd agree that there are plenty of people in that age category living here. I am not sure the type of people that you want to meet but here are a few places to meet the non-tourists:

1. Schools. (Many have young children and school are a natural place to meet others).

2. Churches (Many 20/30 year old people seem to be missionaries here. Chiang Mai Christian Fellowship and Chiang Mai Community Church have many younger people).

3. UN Irish Pub or Tuskers. (There are many other places but these seem to be regular stops for younger locals).

4. Fitness Centres (Powerhouse, City Gym, California WOW)

here is another young expat living in CM.

lets see... I would start with the Nimmanhaemin area. Try Warm-up, Monkey Club... Berlin is great for early evening. Then when time is getting closer to 3am its time to move to Spicy.... is V-Club still open till early hours?

I think there are plenty of things to do... if you speak Thai go to check out CMU and make friends with the Thai students they will take you out for some places we don't know =)

have fun!!!

What does he need the 2000 Baht for???

when a guy goes out on the town it would seem 60 bucks pocket money would be prudent amount .