Teaching Process Summary

I am planning on taking a TEFL class starting June 29 . I should have my Non Immigrant multiple entry B Visa in hand when I arrive. I have a BS in engineering and a MS in Math. Assuming I complete the course and get the certificate, what is really needed for teaching?

I have read all this stuff about the teacher license but it seems inconclusive. Do I actually need to get something before a school would hire me and before I get a Work Permit and teach comes September? Does that only apply to English teaching? How about if I am teaching Math or Science? Do the same "rules" apply for those subjects?

Do private schools have to follow this regulation or is it just government schools?

My concern here is, I take this TEFL certification class, and then it is a dead end.

Is there panic in the streets about this Teaching License and Cultural course?

Thanks

I am planning on taking a TEFL class starting June 29 . I should have my Non Immigrant multiple entry B Visa in hand when I arrive. I have a BS in engineering and a MS in Math. Assuming I complete the course and get the certificate, what is really needed for teaching?

I have read all this stuff about the teacher license but it seems inconclusive. Do I actually need to get something before a school would hire me and before I get a Work Permit and teach comes September? Does that only apply to English teaching? How about if I am teaching Math or Science? Do the same "rules" apply for those subjects?

Do private schools have to follow this regulation or is it just government schools?

My concern here is, I take this TEFL certification class, and then it is a dead end.

Is there panic in the streets about this Teaching License and Cultural course?

Thanks

Has anybody recently started teaching for the first time? Did you have any problem getting the Work Permit? Did you have to take this mythical Thai Clutural Course? Did you have to get this Teaching Certification from the Ministry or some letter of deferral?

Thanks

I have just completed my first three weeks' teaching here in Thailand. I had the qualifications, a degree and a TESOL certificate. I had a strong connection with a private school where I live. I was completely open about my lack of classroom teaching experience. The school allowed me to sit in on a few lessons and even allowed me to participate. They came back and said they had an opening for me in May this year. My degree is in history & philosophy. I am teaching Gr 5 & 6 (primary) Science & Mathematics. I have a teacher's license, I have a work permit and my visa has just been extended for a year subject to 90 day reporting....this can be done by mail and the school took the form and told me they would take care of it. I get a sense that if the school wants you then everything else will follow....the school did all my paperwork for me, they have an established relationship with the Teachers Licensing Authority, the Work Permit people and the Immigration. Looking back it couldn't have been easier although I was fairly anxious throughout the whole process.

Where I work, we have several new teachers, so I'll try to keep things posted as they wind their way through the process. Right now, the new ones are all getting their non-immigrant B visa. This has happened so far without a hitch. Several are panicking because they have (prior to starting work), exhausted their 4-time visa exit requirement, which was recently introduced.

There has been no mention of a Thai Cultural course, so far.

This year, when I went to get my non-immigrant B renewed it was the first time, I had ever been questioned by an officer--nothing significant, but it was a bit unsettling--how long have you been here, how much do they pay you, etc. etc. Fortunately, the Thai admin person was there and made sure we didn't have any conflicting information.