Triple Entry (x3) Tourist Visa Vientiane

Just applied for and got a triple entry tourist visa in Vientiane. The visa only lasts the usual 3 months but it means I can squeeze an extra month's stay out of it by using the last entry the day before it expires. This was on the second last day of the 'free period' ie 3 June so it seems I am doubly blessed! I tried without much hope of getting it as I had never heard of anyone getting one before. Was I just missing something?

Most people used the 2 entry to stay six months by obtaining extensions of stay and only having to leave one time. You will have to leave two times for the same amount of time. Of course if you have a reason to travel, as tourists often do, it makes good sense.

The only thing a 3 entry gives you is not having to go to immigration for the first extension (1900 baht). But you have to make a border run to get the 30 days so unless you are planing a trip out for a few days it really does not help money or time wise.

If you had to pay to get it that would make even more worthless unless you are planing a trip out within the first 60 day entry.

The only thing a 3 entry gives you is not having to go to immigration for the first extension (1900 baht). But you have to make a border run to get the 30 days so unless you are planing a trip out for a few days it really does not help money or time wise.

If you had to pay to get it that would make even more worthless unless you are planing a trip out within the first 60 day entry.

Can you explain please? I am not sure I understand this. With a double entry I can get 2 months on arrival, then pay 1900B for a further month. Then I leave Thailand and the cross back soon after (same day even) and repeat again ( 2 months on arrival, then pay 1900B for a further month). How is that different for a multiple entry?

Most people used the 2 entry to stay six months by obtaining extensions of stay and only having to leave one time. You will have to leave two times for the same amount of time. Of course if you have a reason to travel, as tourists often do, it makes good sense.

Actually, I am just trying to extend my stay as much as possible for the least amount of money so wasn't considering paying for the 1,900 extensions but rather doing two border runs to Mae Sai instead. I figured this would 'buy' me 5 months in total (60 days + 30 days + 60 days). Then if I still wanted to stay, I would get a new visa and do the thing you describe above as they are no longer free. Please correct me if I'm not making sense.

Can you explain please? I am not sure I understand this. With a double entry I can get 2 months on arrival, then pay 1900B for a further month. Then I leave Thailand and the cross back soon after (same day even) and repeat again ( 2 months on arrival, then pay 1900B for a further month). How is that different for a multiple entry?

The only difference is that you could make a trip out of the country for a few days during that first 60 days and return getting another 60 day entry instead the 30 day extension. But you would still have to make a border run before the visa expires to use the 3rd entry.

If you didn't plan on going out for a few days holiday somewhere it would be cheaper and less time consuming to go to immmigration and get the extension than making a border run. Unless of course you lived next to a border with a country that did not require a visa to enter.

60+30+60+30 for two entry tourist visa extend day 60 exit day 89/return/extend

60+30+60+30 for three entry tourist visa exit day 60 and 89/return/extend

The key is all entries must be made before 90 days of visa issue - so using the three entry you could only stay 30 of the allowed 60 days to meet that 90 day limit. For people travelling between countries for shorts stays it would make sense - for those trying to stay in Thailand only is makes less sense.

Edited by lopburi3

Actually, I am just trying to extend my stay as much as possible for the least amount of money so wasn't considering paying for the 1,900 extensions but rather doing two border runs to Mae Sai instead. I figured this would 'buy' me 5 months in total (60 days + 30 days + 60 days). Then if I still wanted to stay, I would get a new visa and do the thing you describe above as they are no longer free. Please correct me if I'm not making sense.

If is fine since you are going to Mae Sai and the entry to Burma only costs 500 baht. I don't know what it will cost for the trip or how long it will take though.

But if you were in Bangkok it would not be the same. The cost would be higher and take a lot more time.

• 2 weeks later...

sorry i am confused. Do you mean Vientian gives 3x entry which means a total of 6 mths visa?

I got a double entry visa from Penang, which gave me total of 4 mths stay in Thailand.

Same here too with CHIP73 - I try to get to stay in Thailand as long as I could, with as little money to pay for, and as little running around as possible.

If Vientian ccould issue 3x entry visa (=6mths), can I continue my stay after my double entry visa ended (after 4mths)? Do I have to pay any money to apply for the visa at Vientien?

If this (3x entry) is not possible, to enable me to continue stay after the 4mths ended, pls advice how each neighbouring countries will be more advantage for me to explore to get long visa n paying lesser money.

days of visa issued visa fee other fee # of visa run (in same country) allowed

Laos

Burma

Vietnam

Cambodia

thank you

sorry i am confused. Do you mean Vientian gives 3x entry which means a total of 6 mths visa?

I got a double entry visa from Penang, which gave me total of 4 mths stay in Thailand.

Same here too with CHIP73 - I try to get to stay in Thailand as long as I could, with as little money to pay for, and as little running around as possible.

If Vientian ccould issue 3x entry visa (=6mths), can I continue my stay after my double entry visa ended (after 4mths)? Do I have to pay any money to apply for the visa at Vientien?

If this (3x entry) is not possible, to enable me to continue stay after the 4mths ended, pls advice how each neighbouring countries will be more advantage for me to explore to get long visa n paying lesser money.

days of visa issued visa fee other fee # of visa run (in same country) allowed

Laos

Burma

Vietnam

Cambodia

thank you

You can stay 6 months in you double entry.

When you arrive first time you get 60 days

Once used you can go to immigration and they will give you 30 days more (cost 1900 baht)

Once used make border run and come back with 60 days

Once used go to immigration and they give you 30 days more

So 6 months with double entry visa and costs are 2 x 1,900 baht for extensions and cost for one border run.

For triple entry tourist visa you can stay the same 6 months max. Only difference is that you can do border run instead of first extension in immigration. It might make sense if you stay right next to the border (if border run will cost you less than 1,900 baht and you don't mind the time spend on border run).

Your double entry visa is good for 6 months if you go to immigration and get a 30 day extension (1900 baht) of each entry. You just have to be sure and do the 2nd entry before the enter before date on your visa.

You can get a double entry visa in Vientiane but I do not know if they will give to you for free or not. They will give you a single entry for free since you are Malaysian.

I don't know how many days you will get in the other countries on entry or if you have to get a visa.

Sorry, there isn't still reply about enquiry on the 3x visa from Vientien. Can someone pls confirm if my understanding below is correct?

3x entry = 2 mths x 3 times = 6 mths (with 2 visa runs at the border)

Can i after using my double entry visa (1 visa run to any border) of 4 mths, go over to Vientian to try my luck for either a 2x or 3x entry visa - without going to the immigration for extension? (meaning, continue visa run)

And, can i continue visa run after each visa used up? Going to same/different neighbouring countries, will that make any differences?

thank you.

Sorry, there isn't still reply about enquiry on the 3x visa from Vientien. Can someone pls confirm if my understanding below is correct?

3x entry = 2 mths x 3 times = 6 mths (with 2 visa runs at the border)

Can i after using my double entry visa (1 visa run to any border) of 4 mths, go over to Vientian to try my luck for either a 2x or 3x entry visa - without going to the immigration for extension? (meaning, continue visa run)

And, can i continue visa run after each visa used up? Going to same/different neighbouring countries, will that make any differences?

thank you.

A 2x or 3x tourist visa from Vientiane is only valid for 90 days. You have to use your last entry before the last day (use before date) printed on your visa sticker, no matter how many entries you have.

• 3 months later...
The triple entry the OP has expires in 3 month so there will not be enough time to use every entry and extend them all.

Strange...;, i haved allready 2 triple entry Tourist visas, and they are allways with a using period for ENTRY at 5 months expiering time , so i make in total 6 months and 1 extension 1900 bath , so 7 months with doiing 2 border runs for each time renuwing 60 days....

HOwevher this is Tourist visa from Europe (i fly up and down Europe to renew ,as a "GENUINE TOURIST :) ")

The triple entry the OP has expires in 3 month so there will not be enough time to use every entry and extend them all.

Strange...;, i haved allready 2 triple entry Tourist visas, and they are allways with a using period for ENTRY at 5 months expiering time , so i make in total 6 months and 1 extension 1900 bath , so 7 months with doiing 2 border runs for each time renuwing 60 days....

HOwevher this is Tourist visa from Europe (i fly up and down Europe to renew ,as a "GENUINE TOURIST :) ")

Unfortunately not all consulates give you validity of 6 months.

If you fly to Europe every time you need a new visa, did you consider that some consulates in Europe and Australia will give you a multiple non-O, with which you would only need a new visa every 15 months.

HOwevher this is Tourist visa from Europe (i fly up and down Europe to renew ,as a "GENUINE TOURIST :D ")

If you fly to Europe every time you need a new visa, did you consider that some consulates in Europe and Australia will give you a multiple non-O, with which you would only need a new visa every 15 months.

THX ,witch requirements for that ???,

as i am not planning for retirement visa, only "friend visit" should be applicable, also i need to keep my adres in my country , so i keep benefitting my almost free health insuransce with "free repatriating possibility " by Eurocross health inssurance.

And also for future keeping pension "alive" 5as allready in U.K. they start "rumbling" on it ... :)

Apply at the Royal Thai Consulate in Hull for multiple-entry Non-O visa on the basis of visiting friends. This consulate has a reputation for being efficient and helpful. You will need to complete application form (can download from web) and send in with fee, passport and photo. You should get this back with a couple of days.

You will get a 90 day permission to stay each time you enter the country whilst your visa is valid. Do a border run just your visa expires and you will get a further 90 days permission to stay, stretching your visa to 15 months. Cost £100.

Hull Consulate: http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/

Edited by thaiphoon

HOwevher this is Tourist visa from Europe (i fly up and down Europe to renew ,as a "GENUINE TOURIST :D ")

as i am not planning for retirement visa, only "friend visit" should be applicable, also i need to keep my adres in my country , so i keep benefitting my almost free health insuransce with "free repatriating possibility " by Eurocross health inssurance.

And also for future keeping pension "alive" 5as allready in U.K. they start "rumbling" on it ... :)

Which county are you from. If applying in the UK, Hull will certainly give you a multiple non-O based on friends, perth Australia will do the same. You don't have to be a national to apply there.

Which county are you from. If applying in the UK, Hull will certainly give you a multiple non-O based on friends, perth Australia will do the same. You don't have to be a national to apply there.

I am Belgium national ("original one" :D ), and normally never visa problem s, so i will find out next week as i fly sunday morning 2.55 from BKK with EVA open return 3 month value ( come back next month )for the verry friendly sum of 28000 bth :D:D:D , i only do not know witch requirements needed for multi entry non O, never asked for as i anyway my adress have to keep alive in my country.... :D

• 3 months later...

Help Sought And clarification is needed: To get anything beyond a 15-day stamp requires having a Visa obtained 1st at a consulate... not the 30-days as granted some nationals upon arrival. An American friend of mine has been out of country for 2 years as he and his Thai wife let their now 2-yr old son start life stateside. He just tried the land re-entry route via Mae Sai, but was only granted 15-days. No, he's too young to retire here, and no, he's not yet free to completely move here with a marriage visa. But the new rule (to him) will cause a bloody pain until his return flight in nearly 60 days.

Can he indeed fly in and out of Vientien to get the Visa there as this thread now suggests? He's a good guy, but caught in the rules change that I've not followed 'cause I'm here as retired. I've a better internet connection and am wanting to be of help with accurate advice on the first pass.

Entry by land on a visa exempt stamp will be 15 days - by air 30 days. If person has a Consulate issued visa for entry the normal number of daysd stay for the visa type will be available by land or air.

Thank you!! I was reading through correctly

Entry by land on a visa exempt stamp will be 15 days - by air 30 days. If person has a Consulate issued visa for entry the normal number of daysd stay for the visa type will be available by land or air.

So one key to maximizing stay on TR visa via Vientiane visa run is to obtain a Laos visa in Bangkok, am I right?

And having obtained such, I would be on an equal footing with someone who had arrived in Thailand by air from Vientiane even though I had arrived by land, am I right?

RAW.

No you are not right. If you arrive by air you will get 30 day visa exempt and if you arrive by land 15 day visa exempt but if you have a tourist visa for Thailand (on most passports) you will get a 60 day stay regardless of entry method. It has nothing to do with visas to Laos.

I tried for a triple entry tourist visa in Vientiane on Dec 16, 2009.

No go. They won't issue them while tourist visas are free.

So what did you get?

I am wondering whether to try for a single or double entry there early next month.

Can I get reliable info anywhere but the embassy or should I just ask when I apply ?

RAW.

No you are not right. If you arrive by air you will get 30 day visa exempt and if you arrive by land 15 day visa exempt but if you have a tourist visa for Thailand (on most passports) you will get a 60 day stay regardless of entry method. It has nothing to do with visas to Laos.

Thank for clearing that up - it's been a while.

I must have been thinking about the advantage of already having a Lao visa re being quick enough to make a Thai TR visa application on the same morning the sleeper train arrives...or something like that.

RAW.