Windows 7 Requires Hardware X86-virtualization

Mr.Poko

Microsoft's new Virtual XP Mode in Windows 7 requires hardware virtualization, but with all the news surrounding this feature, users are wondering "Am I able to run Virtual XP Mode?"

What many people not realize is that there processor or motherboard doesn't support X86-virtualization, you can download the check software here Intel and AMD

For the people who have no processor or motherboard that supports X86-virtualization, Windows 7 can be less fun as you hope it would be. Windows 7 will not be able to run in Windows XP compatible mode. (especially games will not work).

For example Intel processors of the E1XXX, E2XXX, E4XXX, E5XXX, E7XXX and some E8XXX and Q8XXX series do not support X86-virtualization.

FWIW, all AMD processors (I believe since socket 939) offer hardware virtualisation.

Odd thing about Intel though...even some of their Xeon processors don't offer VXT; this includes their new Nehalem processors as well.

Microsoft's new Virtual XP Mode in Windows 7 requires hardware virtualization, but with all the news surrounding this feature, users are wondering "Am I able to run Virtual XP Mode?"

What many people not realize is that there processor or motherboard doesn't support X86-virtualization, you can download the check software here Intel and AMD

For the people who have no processor or motherboard that supports X86-virtualization, Windows 7 can be less fun as you hope it would be. Windows 7 will not be able to run in Windows XP compatible mode. (especially games will not work).

For example Intel processors of the E1XXX, E2XXX, E4XXX, E5XXX, E7XXX and some E8XXX and Q8XXX series do not support X86-virtualization.

is that one of M$ great marketing decisions? Just wondering what to do with programs which run flawlessly on XP and can only run on XP. Ok, do we have to buy it new..?

With XP you can go back even to W95 compatibility mode! What's it all about? Maybe I misunderstand the information and I appreciate clarification.

Thx

Windows 7 has not the ability to run, emulate or code translate any 16-bit coding, for this you need to depend on the virtual Windows XP. For most of us who do business on our Windows computers... this means buying a new motherboard and processor if you want to run most financial software used today. (or upgrade to new version, often more expensive then buying a new computer)