Mr Hippo's Day In Court

Mr Hippo we all make mistakes at times in life and mostly we pay for them. You made one and now have paid part of the price, the remainder will follow if you step out of line within 2 years. Your not a criminal, just a fool, but you have shown an honesty that a lot of the sanctimonious posters on this thread might have found difficult to emulate.

Although contradictory things happen here, after all TiT. they wont kick you out of the country, the court has given you a suspended sentence, and a reduced one at that.

I do wish you well and suggest that you start to put this behind you. If its therapeutic to continue this post then do so, otherwise just let it drop now and get on with your life.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't think of a better time in life than retirement to go back to school and earn a degree, a real degree. In Thailand it's cheap, enjoyable, and you meet a lot of new friends. Just a thought.

1) As Hippo has stated a number of times in this thread: "He is Retired". so getting a degree at this stage is sort of like closing the barn door, after the chickens have flown the coop. (mixed metaphor ??)

2) Getting a "REAL" degree would require a "REAL" education... something completely lacking in Thailand.

3) Even if he wanted a degree here, unless he is competent in Thai, he would not be able to get entrance or complete the course... and going to any decent university that offers English language courses would most certainly NOT be inexpensive for a farang. (and can you image him in that tight mini-skirt uniform?)

4) His time and money would be better used to a) enjoy his retirement, b ) travel with his wife, c) more importantly save for the inevitable Health Care costs the will accumulate with old age, Or d) save to meet the 400,000 baht necessary in the bank to keep his Non-"O" Visa.

Just keeping it Real,

CS

Edited by CosmicSurfer

i wouldnt think he has a chance of getting a teaching job again.

He has been retired for a few years already so not sure what you mean by this.

So the cort case has been going on for years or the thread is very old????

stay in retirement then please as you will be far happier than what you are now.

I am also a retired teacher who started teaching English in Thailand, decades after earning a real BA (in Christianity) from a real uni. I stood up for Mr Hippo's belated honesty and his guilty plea.

Two main points here, IMHO - fake degrees are as dishonest as the real, accredited Thai scools who encourage teachers to get fake degrees.

Are they trying to catch more people now that times are a bit harder, another nice little money spinner

I couldn't think of a better time in life than retirement to go back to school and earn a degree, a real degree. In Thailand it's cheap, enjoyable, and you meet a lot of new friends. Just a thought.

1) As Hippo has stated a number of times in this thread: "He is Retired". so getting a degree at this stage is sort of like closing the barn door, after the chickens have flown the coop. (mixed metaphor ??)

2) Getting a "REAL" degree would require a "REAL" education... something completely lacking in Thailand.

3) Even if he wanted a degree here, unless he is competent in Thai, he would not be able to get entrance or complete the course... and going to any decent university that offers English language courses would most certainly NOT be inexpensive for a farang. (and can you image him in that tight mini-skirt uniform?)

4) His time and money would be better used to a) enjoy his retirement, b ) travel with his wife, c) more importantly save for the inevitable Health Care costs the will accumulate with old age, Or d) save to meet the 400,000 baht necessary in the bank to keep his Non-"O" Visa.

Just keeping it Real,

CS

Interesting. I disagree on all four of your points, but we can agree to disagree. I guess collecting stamps, reading the newspaper and repairing the walker are higher priority pursuits (no offense to Mr. Hippo) than expanding the mind and keeping it ticking, meeting interesting people, and learning new things. #3 you're completely off. There are several affordable international programs in Thailand. I know a few over 60 year olds studying here, and they seem to enjoy it very much. Better than cruising Cowboy every night. To each his own.

Edited by mbkudu

Are they trying to catch more people now that times are a bit harder, another nice little money spinner

I committed an offence and was prosecuted, just because I am retired does not nullify the offence does it?

Interesting. I disagree on all four of your points, but we can agree to disagree. I guess collecting stamps, reading the newspaper and repairing the walker are higher priority pursuits (no offense to Mr. Hippo) than expanding the mind and keeping it ticking, meeting interesting people, and learning new things. #3 you're completely off. There are several affordable international programs in Thailand. I know a few over 60 year olds studying here, and they seem to enjoy it very much. Better than cruising Cowboy every night. To each his own.

I lead a full and active life, my main interest is cycling. Due to the hot season, I limit myself to a max distance of about 60lms/day and I am out most days. This month's stats so far - distance 608.37kms, % days ridden this month - 81.25%, projected monthly target - 1140.69kms, shortest ride this month - 39.3kms, longest - 67.35, average daily distance this month - 46.8kms, year to date - 5799.22.

I meet many fascinating people on my travels - high ranking military officers, architects, doctors, the list is endless!

Soi Cowboy - where's that? Yes, I do know where it is but neither Mrs Hippo nor I drink and we lead a quiet and simple life, content in each other's company.

I think the insinuation that just because someone might not spend their retirement studying for a degree, that would mean that they would be cruising Soi Cowboy, was a daft one and one that didn't merit a response.

Any word on the passport Mr Hippo?

I think the insinuation that just because someone might not spend their retirement studying for a degree, that would mean that they would be cruising Soi Cowboy, was a daft one and one that didn't merit a response.

Of course it's daft. It was simply my poor use of humor. I was simply countering Mr. Surfer's comments. Masses of retirees frequenting Soi Cowboy is of course a generalization, but what I was hinting at is that going back to school can be cool, no?

Edited by mbkudu

Of course it's daft. It was simply my poor use of humor. I was simply countering Mr. Surfer's comments. Masses of retirees frequenting Soi Cowboy is of course a generalization, but what I was hinting at is that going back to school can be cool, no?

Actually, I don't disagree with your overall premise about going back to school when you are retired.

BUT... and it's a big BUT... in my point #2 above, I think that I clearly state that I feel that getting a degree or any REAL education is Thailand is a waste of both time and money.... If I was back in a place where education was presented in an educational manner and a degree had a real value, I would jump at the chance.. just not in Thailand where a degree is just another commodity to wave around like the latest Mobile phone.

Are you aware that you can get a Degree in Political Science from Rhamkamheang University without EVER sittiing in one class... Just show up on Exam days. This is a FACT !!!!!

But back on topic.... Mr. Hippo..... What's the latest word? Any good news???

Pulling for you,

CS

I lead a full and active life, my main interest is cycling. Due to the hot season, I limit myself to a max distance of about 60lms/day and I am out most days. This month's stats so far - distance 608.37kms, % days ridden this month - 81.25%, projected monthly target - 1140.69kms, shortest ride this month - 39.3kms, longest - 67.35, average daily distance this month - 46.8kms, year to date - 5799.22.

I meet many fascinating people on my travels - high ranking military officers, architects, doctors, the list is endless!

Soi Cowboy - where's that? Yes, I do know where it is but neither Mrs Hippo nor I drink and we lead a quiet and simple life, content in each other's company.

Mr Hippo,

Good job with the kms on the bike. Sounds really great, especially the fact that you are able to meet interesting people. Keep ridin'!

BUT... and it's a big BUT... in my point #2 above, I think that I clearly state that I feel that getting a degree or any REAL education is Thailand is a waste of both time and money.... If I was back in a place where education was presented in an educational manner and a degree had a real value, I would jump at the chance.. just not in Thailand where a degree is just another commodity to wave around like the latest Mobile phone.

Are you aware that you can get a Degree in Political Science from Rhamkamheang University without EVER sittiing in one class... Just show up on Exam days. This is a FACT !!!!!

CS

Once again I will disagree with you completely. I've gone through an international program here, and it was well worth the time, money and effort I put into it. It is also a fact that at many US, British, and German universities attendance is not mandatory. It is also a fact that in the international section of Ramkhamhaeng University 80% attendance is mandatory in order to qualify for a passing grade. What is your point concerning Ramkhamhaeng University? You might consider gathering more research, or maybe enrolling at a university here before chastising Thai higher education as a whole. I'm sure there are far worse places to earn a degree.

Sorry for being off topic as this is Mr. Hippo's posting. I'm just a bit intolerant of blatant ignorance.

Edited by mbkudu

Are YOU aware that Ramkamhaeng is basically the Thai version of an open university in the west? That is the reason why attendance is not required in the Thai programs. It is designed so workers and mothers etc.. can get a degree when they have prior commitments. THIS IS A FACT

You should do a little more research before you make foolish accusations. You obviously have no idea whatsoever about university education in Thailand. Just another one of those farang negative myth gossipers.

Are YOU aware that Ramkamhaeng is basically the Thai version of an open university in the west? That is the reason why attendance is not required in the Thai programs. It is designed so workers and mothers etc.. can get a degree when they have prior commitments. THIS IS A FACT

You should do a little more research before you make foolish accusations. You obviously have no idea whatsoever about university education in Thailand. Just another one of those farang negative myth gossipers.

So Sorry.... But a university education should be based on well discussed thought-out exchanges of ideas... Not "Book Learnin'"...

(I'm not 100% sure, but I think I do recall with a 95% certainty, that American "Open Universities" require a certain amount of Seminar or Class time before completing a degree.... Plus a minimum amount of Papers and other assignments, and a Final test with "Essay Questions"... Not just coming in to complete a Multiple choice Exam to get your yearly grade... the Thai norm.)

Otherwise the degree is based on other peoples ideas, without developing your own... decreasing the value of a Degree... But that is acceptable in Thailand, isn't it... fits right in with the other things around us, doesn't it? Now you know why Thais never learn to think, or can understand the word "logic"! And why the Thai political situation is unsolvable, and why we are in continuous downward spiral, ... I could go on with these metaphors.

And then again, when Thaksin's son got caught cheating on his Poli-Sci exam at Ram Univ., about 7 or 8 years ago, the Rector was quoted as saying... "What's the big deal???? Everyone does it ! " That statement alone was a well-thought out gold-medal moment, supporting the reality that a Ram degree is worse less then the paper it's printed on!.... And Internnational companies on Silom rushed to call their HR departments with instructions to NEVER hire a Ram grad.

My wife has a Ram degree... I spent 4 years teaching English to Ram "English Majors" and students from all other faculties... I'm not talking about the exception, I'm talking about the norm. I do know from what I say !!!!

Book-Learnin' is for Hillbillies!!!

TIT

CS

*****PS***** Before the Ozarks descend on Thailand to take retribution on me for comparing them to Thais... Book-Learnin', when accompanied by continuous and motivated outside intellectual stimuli and a true desire to improve oneself, with an unquenchable thirst for knowledge and debate, is excepted from this definition... which again leaves out almost all of the afflicted group referred to above!

Whatever.....

Just more factless bashing.

You have no idea about any of the respected international programs in Thailand, which was the suggestion made to Mr. Hippo.

Everyone knows (yes, including Thai people) that Ramkamhaeng is not a top Thai University, only you seem to be making out as it is.

Edited by madjbs

NOTICE:

To any, and all, who feel personally insulted by my comments in regards to their attainment of a Thai University Degree, I wish to apologize and congratulate them on what I'm sure was a long and well-intentioned effort on their part. May your Dreams come true!

My comments are based on the generality of the Educational system here in Thailand, and not on any one specific case or situation.

The Ram International school may have an 80% Mandatory Attendence requirement... but again, it's the exception, not the norm at Ram.

My Matayom had a 100% attendence requirement.... but there is a huge gulf between attendence and participation...

and Great Thinkers did NOT result as a consequence of that!

I also Apologize to Mr. Hippo for the imappropriate Hi-Jack of his Thread. I hope we can stay on topic now.

CS

Edited by CosmicSurfer

NOTICE:

To any, and all, who feel personally insulted by my comments in regards to their attainment of a Thai University Degree, I wish to apologize and congratulate them on what I'm sure was a long and well-intentioned effort on their part. May your Dreams come true!

My comments are based on the generality of the Educational system here in Thailand, and not on any one specific case or situation.

The Ram International school may have an 80% Mandatory Attendence requirement... but again, it's the exception, not the norm at Ram.

My Matayom had a 100% attendence requirement.... but there is a huge gulf between attendence and participation...

and Great Thinkers did NOT result as a consequence of that!

I also Apologize to Mr. Hippo for the imappropriate Hi-Jack of his Thread. I hope we can stay on topic now.

CS

:) blah, blah, blah.

I think the bottom line regarding this discussion about Thai universities is that educating and enlightening yourself during retirement (or for that matter at any time in your life) is a great and commendable thing to do, but it is quite possible to do this without enrolling anyway and without paying any fees. Simply buying some of the right books will have the same effect, and you can sit and read at your leisure, perhaps on some far-flung deserted beach. Why be sitting in traffic in Bangkok at 7am to go to some boring lecture on a subject you may not be that interested in, when you can educate yourself about the things that specifically interest you, and in your own time?

The main reason people educate themselves at a university isn't because they want to but because they need the bit of paper they get after 3 or 4 years. If you don't need the paper, as i think is the case with Mr Hippo, save your time and money because for most of us, these two things get in shorter supply the older we get.

Fingers crossed for you Mr Hippo.

I think the bottom line regarding this discussion about Thai universities is that educating and enlightening yourself during retirement (or for that matter at any time in your life) is a great and commendable thing to do, but it is quite possible to do this without enrolling anyway and without paying any fees. Simply buying some of the right books will have the same effect, and you can sit and read at your leisure, perhaps on some far-flung deserted beach. Why be sitting in traffic in Bangkok at 7am to go to some boring lecture on a subject you may not be that interested in, when you can educate yourself about the things that specifically interest you, and in your own time?

The main reason people educate themselves at a university isn't because they want to but because they need the bit of paper they get after 3 or 4 years. If you don't need the paper, as i think is the case with Mr Hippo, save your time and money because for most of us, these two things get in shorter supply the older we get.

EXACTLY !!

CS

EXACTLY !!

CS

Really?

Did you not earlier say

Book-learning' is for Hillbillies!!!

and that learning new ideas alone without attending seminars or classes was not developing your own ideas and was therefore diminished in benefit? :)

EXACTLY !!

CS

Really?

Did you not earlier say

Book-learning' is for Hillbillies!!!

and that learning new ideas alone without attending seminars or classes was not developing your own ideas and was therefore diminished in benefit? :)

In case you missed reading some of what I wrote... I'll reiterate....

I was talking about getting a Degree in Thailand.!!!!!!!

Rixales was talking about keeping your mind active and improving yourself.... Related, but definately not the same thing.

Now can we PLEASE close this off-topic discussion while we wait for news from Mr. Hippo?

CS

EXACTLY !!

CS

Jeezuz Krist, you people are just too much. It was a SUGGESTION. Ok? A suggestion to enroll in a degree program, meet people, learn some stuff, and feel a sense of reward after it's all done. Just forget what I said about the whole thing. I find it incredible that anyone could judge another person's ability and skill based on where they earned a degree from. It took a few dozen Harvard MBAs to cause the downfall of a first world economy. Good job on them. :D:):D

Edited by mbkudu

I normally reserve my Sundays for longer rides as there is less traffic on the road but my wife had arranged a visit to a wat for this morning. No wind today and the forecast was good but I managed to do a quick 25kms. I was just throwing a cup of tea down my neck when she said "Hippo, there's something I have to tell you but I did not tell you last night as you would worry about it!" She told me that I have to go to Immigration and have my fingerprints taken. Now, I was really worried! They have my prints - could it be a ploy to get me down there and lock me up again? The policeman dealing with my case was on duty today so off we went after we visited the temple. Did he really want my prints? Yes - the prints I gave on my first visit there were smudged and I had not signed them. On my way home, I breathed a sigh of relief!

Some posters on here doubt my story and think that the list is a fairy tale. Neither my wife nor I have asked who is on the list because, frankly, it's none of our business - the only name that we are interested in is mine. Why haven't others posted on here? What percentage of teachers on Thailand are members of this forum? How many others would post their story on here?

We were told that there are 58 cases at the moment, the latest one was tried on Friday. No name was mentioned but he did tell us that the fake came from the University of Liverpool, the owner of it is in his mid to late 50s and has a child less than 12 months old - he was sentenced to 3 months in prison.

Surprising he got 3 months in Jail, he might not survive it!!! Considering your fine, maybe he pleaded innocent or something else.

Thanks for all the work you have done in letting people know about this, shame we do not hear much about the others, maybe we will, maybe our stories will be told, many have left some are still here. We will soon find out

Edited by beano2274

I normally reserve my Sundays for longer rides as there is less traffic on the road but my wife had arranged a visit to a wat for this morning. No wind today and the forecast was good but I managed to do a quick 25kms. I was just throwing a cup of tea down my neck when she said "Hippo, there's something I have to tell you but I did not tell you last night as you would worry about it!" She told me that I have to go to Immigration and have my fingerprints taken. Now, I was really worried! They have my prints - could it be a ploy to get me down there and lock me up again? The policeman dealing with my case was on duty today so off we went after we visited the temple. Did he really want my prints? Yes - the prints I gave on my first visit there were smudged and I had not signed them. On my way home, I breathed a sigh of relief!

Some posters on here doubt my story and think that the list is a fairy tale. Neither my wife nor I have asked who is on the list because, frankly, it's none of our business - the only name that we are interested in is mine. Why haven't others posted on here? What percentage of teachers on Thailand are members of this forum? How many others would post their story on here?

We were told that there are 58 cases at the moment, the latest one was tried on Friday. No name was mentioned but he did tell us that the fake came from the University of Liverpool, the owner of it is in his mid to late 50s and has a child less than 12 months old - he was sentenced to 3 months in prison.

The ironic thing is, I well remember Thailand having to pass a new law - about 4 years ago that politicians and the rich couldn't pay university tutors to do their assignments etc. It does make you wonder how many Thais are running around with 'degrees' which haven't totally been earned by themselves. It really makes a mockery of the whole idea. Then of course, we have those studying abroad who use proof readers before submitting assignments. It's one rule for one and another for... :) Good luck Mr. Hippo and our thoughts are with you and your wife.

Edited by bungy007