Live The Dream

How do all,

Just after some practical advice and suggestions from those in the know.

Basically at the grand old age of 27 I want to re-locate from the chilly, grey 9-5 rat race that is good old Blighty and move to shores new.

Before attempting to wade through the seas of red tape and seriously look at the practicalities I was hoping for a few pointers and some initial direction.

I have currently have no long term ties apart from the family who would be behind me 100% and will no doubt be enjoying a fair few trips at my expense.

Plan A would ideally be to purchase a business probably a small bungalow complex with restaurant and bar on Kohn Phangan outside of Had Rin but not too far off the full moon trade. The biggest stumbling block here is finance or for want of a better word a sever lack of it. I know it’s relatively straight forward to obtain a mortgage for properties in Europe but is it possible to obtain a mortgage/business loan from a British bank for a property/business in Thailand?

I’m confident with my background, qualifications and experience I wouldn’t have to much trouble finding work in a few different sectors but long term that’s not really what I am looking for.

Short of buying a property here then selling for profit I can’t really see a viable alternative short of living like a Hobbit and squirreling every nut away for the next couple of years.

Thanks in advance for the replies, appreciate that you must see a huge number of similar posts every day.

Regards

Darren

How do all,

Basically at the grand old age of 27 I want to re-locate from the chilly, grey 9-5 rat race that is good old Blighty and move to shores new.

Before attempting to wade through the seas of red tape and seriously look at the practicalities I was hoping for a few pointers and some initial direction.

I have currently have no long term ties apart from the family who would be behind me 100% and will no doubt be enjoying a fair few trips at my expense.

Plan A would ideally be to purchase a business probably a small bungalow complex with restaurant and bar on Kohn Phangan outside of Had Rin but not too far off the full moon trade.  The biggest stumbling block here is finance or for want of a better word a sever lack of it.  I know it’s relatively straight forward to obtain a mortgage for properties in Europe but is it possible to obtain a mortgage/business loan from a British bank for a property/business in Thailand?

I’m confident with my background, qualifications and experience I wouldn’t have to much trouble finding work in a few different sectors but long term that’s not really what I am looking for.

Short of buying a property here then selling for profit I can’t really see a viable alternative short of living like a Hobbit and squirreling every nut away for the next couple of years.

Thanks in advance for the replies, appreciate that you must see a huge number of similar posts every day.

Regards

Darren

a foreigner can only buy condos or businesses.foreigners will need the cash transferred in from outside thailand and forget about thai bank loans.also would doubt british banks would loan money for something in thailand.either borrow from family or friends or save up.i've been saving for a decade to build up a nest egg of a couple hundred thousand dollars for some opportunity to present itself and i discovered thailand.

Plan A would ideally be to purchase a business probably a small bungalow complex with restaurant and bar on Kohn Phangan outside of Had Rin but not too far off the full moon trade. The biggest stumbling block here is finance or for want of a better word a sever lack of it.
That would be quite a gamble..don't you think? Most bungalow operations work on leases or rent, and they have a high turn over of lessees...It is nevertheless possible to have a successful operation, however without any funds behind you, it would be an unrealistic option.

Think again! Most international companies will only hire from abroad (for the lucrative expat salaries anyhow...). If you want to work in Thailand, you will need the proper visa, work permit,etc....You will need to adapt to the business environment, and the "Thai" way of doing things....

But, if you really want it, don't listen to anyone and just do it!!! :o

Dazzza, don't confuse 'live the dream' from 'living an alternative lifestyle'.....at 27, work another 10 years or so, save, make money in your own country and then come here to 'live'.

Unless you have the Midas touch you will find it hard to survive long term.

In saying that, Good luck mate!

It is not that easy even with money and remembers LOCATION .LOCATION. LOCATION.

All successful people that read this know what this means. The three words

Live your dream but you got to work for it take the time out and read the forum listen and learn this is where you will find the answer to your dream and then your dream will become a reality.

Even with lots of funds it is not easy do your homework first and again. :o

Hey, on a positive note, you've got nowhere to go but up! :o

Seriously, figuring on coming here with no funds now is a pipe dream. You can surely figure the common sense answers to all of your questions and plans, right? I believe in dreams, too, but not in setups for falls...

That's your first Reality Check. If you can see clearly, proceed.

If the fog is still too thick, stay warm at home and do some serious armchair exploring, or come for a short visit and explore more here...

Then try again. Worked for me.

:D

Edited by Ajarn

Darren

What is your background, what qualifications do you have and experiences' in what?

I'm surprised no one has asked you this before giving advise that will/could affect your life forever, for better or worse.

The only people you can truly rely on answering your questions are the people that care for you! (start at your parents and then work down)

I am thinking of making a new life in LoS also, and having been there many times, am still shit scared!

I am not looking to make a fortune whatsoever, but just to learn things that I have, only recently, realised I want to learn, I feel my live here (UK) is getting unbearably stale (being married and feeling like this would be too much) and there are too many distractions to progress my live in the way my heart is now desiring.

If I can carry on from how I last left Thailand, I should be Ok.

Just bear in mind that Thailand is full off Elephant traps laid for foreigners trying to find paradise (long term) and that many of these traps are laid by westerners trying to maintain their own paradise.

Chock dee

B (35)

But then again, I'm all tired and emotional, just F@*K it all and go for it!

• 11 months later...
How do all,

Plan A would ideally be to purchase a business probably a small bungalow complex with restaurant and bar on Kohn Phangan outside of Had Rin but not too far off the full moon trade.  The biggest stumbling block here is finance or for want of a better word a sever lack of it.  I know it’s relatively straight forward to obtain a mortgage for properties in Europe but is it possible to obtain a mortgage/business loan from a British bank for a property/business in Thailand?

Regards

Darren

a foreigner can only buy condos or businesses.foreigners will need the cash transferred in from outside thailand and forget about thai bank loans.also would doubt british banks would loan money for something in thailand.either borrow from family or friends or save up.i've been saving for a decade to build up a nest egg of a couple hundred thousand dollars for some opportunity to present itself and i discovered thailand.

You can also bring the money in the country without any problems, its not necessary to transfer the money...........as long as you pay its ok.:o)

the approx minimum cost of a resort on KPN with a few bungalows on the beach or near it is 20million baht + (this is from looking in the magazines & online). Thats around 280k pounds.

No offence dazza but if thai banks were that relaxed in loaning/mortgaging any old foreigner that kind of money, we'd all be doing it instead of working & saving in our own countries.

Unless you have a wealthy relative willing to lend/give you that kind of money then it is just a pipe dream. The best you could hope for is a bar somewhere catering to the full mooners but competition is stiff & without contacts & a lot of float money, the chances of that succeeding are small too :o