I just went to my local immigration office (Fang) to renew my driving license..... it was for ten years and ran out in january.

A requirement by the driving license authority was to have a letter from immigration confirming my place of residence.

Upon applying to my immigration office...they complained that I didn't have a tm.30 form stapled in my passport....and warned that the owner of the residence should inform them ....within 24 hours....that an alien was staying....and could be liable to a fine not exceeding two thousand baht. Hotel or guest houses are liable to between two thousand and ten thousand baht.

I said that my wife had informed some time ago....probably when i first moved into her parents home when we married eleven years ago...... and also probably when i applied for a car license about three years ago....but because I didn't have the receipt slip to show them ...or stapled in my passport...they required it done anew.

I took my father-in-law to the immigration....and we eventually got it done OK...without being fined....but he was warned and informed.

I said to the officer that I suspected that very few Thai citizens would know about this law. And apparently, if I choose to visit some relatives of my wife in khonKaen for a few days...they are supposed to report in the same way. I suspect the long trip to a nearby immigration would preclude such a thing happening.

This is the duty of the house owner....not the alien...so it is the house owner who faces charges.

We are responsible for the 90 day reporting...which is another matter entirely.

In January when my husband and I went to immigration for our letter of address to renew our 5year driving license, they automatically did our TM30. As we own our condo we had our Chanote with us and did not need to bring anyone with us. I have to say that Hua Hin immigration has always been very good to work with. They look to see when our passport and visas are are about to expire and remind us to be sure to renew them.

Just another stooopid law.

How do they expect every Thai in the country to know about this and what to do.

As stooopid as their 90 day requirement, but not as stooopid as having to report every time you are in a different province for more than 24hrs.....how stoooopid.

There is no requirement for you to have the slip in your passport. As you said it is the home owners responsibility.

So they are the ones that should keep the receipt for the report.

Immigration was correct in stating it needed to be done but they seem to of gone a little overboard with it.

Just another stooopid law.

How do they expect every Thai in the country to know about this and what to do.

As stooopid as their 90 day requirement, but not as stooopid as having to report every time you are in a different province for more than 24hrs.....how stoooopid.

Not so much a stupid law. It is an outdated one. They are all in the immigration act that is dated 1979 a lot has changed here in 30 years.

I suspect he may be a transfer from Hua Hin - they pulled this on every request last year as there is no charge for the address verification letter - so they were pulling in fines for not making occupancy reports. That seems to have ceased in Hua Hin. As you make a signed statement of residence on any Tm.6, TM.7 and and additional one now at Suan Plu doing one year extension and then 90 day address reports, there really is no reason for not knowing your address for those on extension of stay.

Because my old one year extensions ran out in December (low GBP)...I've been border running every 14 days...and just went to Vientiane to get a Non 'O'..

according to them I should have reported each time I came back into the country (or rather the house owner should)

and the charge was 300 Baht for the letter of residence

they stapled the slip into my passport and said that was required...

Edited by fabianfred

This is the first time I have ever heard of any immigration office wanting the slip to be in your passport.

Maybe they want it because you are not doing 90 reports. Unless you need to do something at immigration I would not worry about it until then.

IME the law is rarely enforced, though my wife was fined a few years back

by a new lieutenant in the Sri Racha office, anxious to make good impression.

She wanted to fine me too for not doing a 90 day report, although my last

entry was less that 90 days before.

The arrival of the foreigner is the responsibility of the head of household.

I am not sure what happens when that is the foreigner, as in those who have

a Yellow Tabien Bahn????????

Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager

where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the

competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours , dwelling place or

hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned. If there is no Immigration Office

located in that area , the local police official for that area must be notified.

If you travel then you and your host must report your temporary address.

Generally hotels will handle this for you

Section 37 : An alien having received a temporary entry permit into the Kingdom must comply with the

following :

4. If the alien travels to any province and will stay there longer than twenty – four hours , such

alien must notify the police official of the police station for that area within forty – eight hours from the time

of arrival.

90 day reporting is the responsibility of the foreigner.

Section 37 : An alien having received a temporary entry permit into the Kingdom must comply with the

following :

5. If the alien stays in the Kingdom longer than ninety days, such alien must notify the

competent official at the Immigration Division , in writing , concerning his place of stay , as soon as

possible upon expiration of ninety days. The alien is required to do so every ninety days. Where there is

an Immigration Office , the alien may notify a competent Immigration Official of that office.

Your declaration of address on the Arrival card is the initial report that starts the 90 day period.

It also resets the 90 day clock when you travel overseas.

following :

4. If the alien travels to any province and will stay there longer than twenty – four hours , such

alien must notify the police official of the police station for that area within forty – eight hours from the time

of arrival.

so if we visit friends for a couple of days outside our own province we should inform immigration... if we are not staying in a registered hotel or guest house... :)

...bit awkward on a trek

Edited by fabianfred

Don't worry about it. That rule is not enforced. If it was you would still have to make it even if you stayed somewhere that made the report.

The only rule that they actively enforce is the 90 day reports. And the hotels and etc. reports. And in rare occasions the home owner report also.

Don't worry about it. That rule is not enforced.

I guess there are a few thousand "rules" and ""laws" that possibly fit this description.

These type regulations may not be enforced generally, but they can be enforced when the need arises, can't they?

If you worry only about the ones you know about, what about all the ones you are unaware of?

Who was it who said,

"Don't worry, be happy."

or

"Ignorance of the law is no excuse."

following :

of arrival.

so if we visit friends for a couple of days outside our own province we should inform immigration... if we are not staying in a registered hotel or guest house... :)

...bit awkward on a trek

That is what the good book says,

but as noted probably not a matter to worry about.

I certainly never have.

Two years ago got my retirement extension in Bangkok.

Signed an extra document mentioning where I lived in Udon Thani province.

A few months later when requesting renewal drivers license was told to get a certificate of residence. Drove to Nong Khai immigration where I got fined 1k baht for not having done notification of residence. Telling them I did just that soi Suan Phlu did not help my case.

No sympathy here for Nong Khai immigration :)