How Useful Are Factory Fitted Navi Systems In Bkk ?

regedit

Buy a 9,900 baht Garmin complete with up to date maps. You can remove it from your vehicle and carry it in your pocket. Easy to update and you can use it in any vehicle or even when in your pocket.

You can search the forum for in dash units and you will find the maps are always out of date and no one knows how to update them.

Another vote for portable unit. I recommend Garmin (personal experience after playing with some others), nuvi 205 is in promotion at the moment - 9.900,- THB

I've heard some people complain about the "fitted navi sys", because can't get the updates - even directly from the dealers.

Also, as Gary A said, the portable device can be switched between vehicles and be carried with you anywhere you need.

Buy a 9,900 baht Garmin complete with up to date maps. You can remove it from your vehicle and carry it in your pocket. Easy to update and you can use it in any vehicle or even when in your pocket.

You can search the forum for in dash units and you will find the maps are always out of date and no one knows how to update them.

Is there are monthly fee or is it a one time purchase and you just pay for the updates?

:)

There is no monthly fees for GPS use.

If you buy the unit locally, you will have free updates during one year. After 1 year there is a fee for the map update. Right now the fee is 1.100,- THB

In my Accord the system works just fine. I got an update DVD just a few days ago, which I installed myself.

I find it very useful but there remains the old problem of street name translations from Thai to English.

@JohnGotti

honda told me when i bought my car (which i never fuc_king drive) (...)

:) What happened?
@moo9

In my Accord the system works just fine. I got an update DVD just a few days ago, which I installed myself. (...)

Was it easy to install the update?

[edit]

Gosh, I just noticed we are out of topic.

@moo9, is it possible (on your unit) to use both languages (Thai/Eng) to find destination? In other words, does it have loaded both maps (in Thai and Eng)?

Edited by moris

The Honda Civic Navi uses a Garmin SD card located in the unit that lives in the boot of the car. You can update it with the SE Asia card from Garmin, then it covers Malaysia, Singapore, Vietnam, etc. It is also all in English as well.

The Honda dealer gave me a new SD card with up to date '09 maps in English on it 2 weeks after I got my new car

When was this? Is it still only Thailand or SE Asia? Was that for the Civic Navi?

Thanks