astral

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello,

I already have a Thai motorcycle drivers license, I want to get a drivers license to drive a car. Do I need to get a new residency and doctors letter to get the license to drive a car?

OR can I just show them my Thai motorcycle drivers license.

Additionally I have a valid U.S. drivers license, and U.S. International Drivers License.

Thanks in advance.

-O

Since you did not get them at the same time you need to get the medical certificate and residence letter again. The same document is only accepted if you apply for both at the same time. You bring a copy and the clerk certifies the copy is the same as the original attached to the other app.

Since you have the USA License and International you just need present those, the residency letter and medical letter when you apply. You will probably be required to take the vision. reaction and color blindness tests again also.

Hello,

I already have a Thai motorcycle drivers license, I want to get a drivers license to drive a car. Do I need to get a new residency and doctors letter to get the license to drive a car?

OR can I just show them my Thai motorcycle drivers license.

Additionally I have a valid U.S. drivers license, and U.S. International Drivers License.

Thanks in advance.

-O

July 21, 2009 5-year license renewal at Bangkok Land Office Building #4 near Jutajak BTS station for USA retiree

1)

I arrived at 11:50 AM at floor #2 Building #4 of the Land Office near Jatujak BTS station.

2)

I submitted to the lady at the desk the following:

- my current (about to expire) Thai 5-year drivers license

- signed copy of front and back of current 5-year license

- signed copy of passport photo page, visa page, entry card, re-entry permit page

- USA Embassy affidavit as to my current address in Bangkok (no proof needed, costs $30 at embassy)

3)

I took, but did not need:

- current medical certificate

- copy of current land line telephone bill showing my name, address and telephone number

4)

The lady took all of these papers including my passport and drivers license, gave a number to wait at desk #17.

I was fifth in line there, but room to sit.

5)

The lady at desk #17 worked into her lunch break 1/2 hour (very kind of her!) and came back at 1:00

I was processed by her by about 1:30 PM (she checked all the paperwork and had me sign two other forms of some kind)

6)

I was directed to go to floor #3 for the next step, which involved waiting for my turn at the testing. Four tests - color blindness chart, test of reaction time to step from accelerator to brake pedal, depth perception (this isn't all that easy as it is a sort of mechanical lining up side by side of two sticks from about 20 feet away), and peripheral vision test with colored lights at the side. Thanks to someone on ThaiVisa giving advice about this test, I took my glasses off for this one or the glass frames would have hid much of those lights.

7)

I then had to sit in a "training room" on floor #4 watching a film in Thai with English subtitles. This was basically an hour-long story to try to touch the heart about the sad result of someone not obeying traffic laws.

8)

Then back to floor #2 desk #17 where I waited in a queue for another 15 minutes. The officer took a digital photo, I paid 655 Baht (including 100 Baht for the new license itself), and two minutes later I had my new 5-year license.

9)

Everything done at 3:00 PM. Took a total of 3 hours, including the officer's 1/2 hour lunch break.

Monday the 20th I renewed (another 5 years on existing 15 year old Thai licenses) my 2 driving licenses at the Sukumvit 62 Land Transport office. They had expired by 4 months

I arrived at about 12:30 and had my documents checked

Original driving licenses

Copies of relevant passport pages signed

Letter from Suan Plu Immigration Police certifying address

Doctors certificate

Filled out forms sent to do colour, reaction and spatial distance test.

Came back to watch 45 min video on road laws and safety.

After video 13:45 given cue ticket with 79 people in front.

Called to officers booth at 15:45 and spent 15 mins getting license

Overall it was not a bad deal. Yes it took a long time but no real problems.

Oh it cost 1060 baht for the two licenses for another 6 years

BB

Edited by Badbanker

Your lucky they took the immigration letter for proof of address. Both Chatuchak and Nongchok refused to accept an immigration letter. Those offices told me I had to have an embassy letter. At that time I didn't have a work permit. I didn't like paying the US Embassy 1,030 baht for that stupid letter.

Monday the 20th I renewed (another 5 years on existing 15 year old Thai licenses) my 2 driving licenses at the Sukumvit 62 Land Transport office. They had expired by 4 months

I arrived at about 12:30 and had my documents checked

Original driving licenses

Copies of relevant passport pages signed

Letter from Suan Plu Immigration Police certifying address

Doctors certificate

Filled out forms sent to do colour, reaction and spatial distance test.

Came back to watch 45 min video on road laws and safety.

After video 13:45 given cue ticket with 79 people in front.

Called to officers booth at 15:45 and spent 15 mins getting license

Overall it was not a bad deal. Yes it took a long time but no real problems.

Oh it cost 1060 baht for the two licenses for another 6 years

BB

As I am here on a non im "O" visa, it is logical that immigration give a letter certifiying my address, as my address has been registered with them for the past 3 or 4 years. I also can't understand why these other land transport offices do not accept an official Thai Government document over an embassy letter!

As always we are a captive audience and we need to respect the people that we have to work with to survive in Thailand.

We are in the normal Thai Government office way held hostage to the whims of a particular officer on a certain day!

BB

I just got my license renewed from 1year to 5year in Bangkok. And i'd like to point that the 5 year guidelines in the OP are incorrect.

Note: no medical certificate is required.

When i went there today; a medical certificate was required; they would not let me get the queue # without this...

Luckily there is a 100baht clinic around the corner... but i think the admins should update the OP to say that this certificate is required for a 1year to 5year renewal.

I went for my 5 year licence on the day the one year expired.

In Pattaya.

Contrary to the info above:

I was specifically asked to produce my doctors certificate. I had expected this (age 61) and had one done the day before in Jomtien, after picking up my cert of rsidence from Soi 5. Med cert took a BP reading, a question about my eyes (OK?), and 100 Bt. meaningless.

But on the several attempts to offer passport photos, every one was declined. the do their own digitally on the spot.

So in Pattaya: No photos needed but med cert required.

Ok without wanting to read through everything, but my understanding is that I can go to the office at jatujak with my passport, work permit, UK driving licence and medical certificate, is this correct?

I also have a question, my UK licence runs out in September, will I still get 12 month on the Thai one?

Thanks

Hi, see my comments below in italic font:-

quote name='redscouse' date='2009-08-07 08:41:35' post='2925106']

Ok without wanting to read through everything, but my understanding is that I can go to the office at jatujak with my passport, work permit, UK driving licence and medical certificate, is this correct?

- Correct. They will send you to the queue which deals with foreigners. They will check your docs, then send you to another area in the building to do the colour blind, depth, & peripheral vision tests. Then back to the desk that deals with foreigners where they will take a photo of you (not smiling), and collect the standard fee, and issue your licence on the spot.

I also have a question, my UK licence runs out in September, will I still get 12 month on the Thai one?

- shouldn't be a problem if you apply for your Thai licence this month

Thanks

Hi,

sit tightly and hear my take of woe haha.

I arrived at 1o am this morning, having first noticed that my UK licence in fact ended in July and not Sept like I thought, I was sent to get medical certificate (60 baht) and when I returned I was told that as my ;licence had expired I was to experience the joys of the Thai driving test, however much i pleaded that as an ex police driver and showing my licence that had just run for 10 years could I be exempt as I had to get back to work. Anyway the answer was no.

So I trot upstairs to do the sight test, starting with the colour test (done in front of all the other applicants), she pointed at colour dots with a stick while I shouted out the colours, red, red, yellow, green, sperm (yes, she never even noticed, no English), then I did the reflex test and coloured wide angle vision lights test.

Go upstairs at 11.30 and get told as Farang, come back at 1pm, at 1pm I was sat in a room on my lonesome watching a video about how to drive, this lasted one hour and gave me the chance to do my crossword in peace. Then to the exam room where I got 30 out of 30 in 4 minutes despite the poor english and pictures on the computer screen.

Then over to the driving test, paid 100 baht to use their car,

Drive forward- pass

Reverse into space- Pass

Drive forward and stop next to kerb, no more than 25 cm away and less then one metre from the line in front, perfect, or so I thought, the guy shouted "no pass", I replied with "no Pass" and he replied with "no pay", I got out of the car and looked and it was a pass. I drove back and they said come back next tuesday, I asked to see the supervisor so i could explain. Eventually got to see her and asked my gf by phone to explain what had happened (I always remain smiley in these situations", anyway this drags on to 3.45 pm. My gf tells me that they say if I complain they will get the police and I will NEVER get a licence. My normally calm gf flips her lid at this and tells them to call the police if they wish as she knows that my friend here is senior officer (I say friend, we do each other favours) and I would just call him to sort it out. anyway the resolution was that i did stage 3 again and passed, and trotted off to get my licence. (only after paying another 100 to use their car, they told me to get my car from Mo Chit but I pointed out that I have no licence so could not)

A day of my life I will never get back :)

oh the licence was 250 baht

Edited by redscouse

• 2 weeks later...

I recently changed my 1 year licence (expired by 1 day) to a 5 year one. No tests nothing. Gave them the paperwork had my photo taken waited 10minutes got licence. Total time 1 hour 15 minutes.

Mind you this was in Pattaya.

I have a friend who is due to renew his 5 year licence, does any body know whether he should do it before or after it expires.

And as an after thought the internet address to download the appropriate form.

Thanks . Terry

Quick question about these Department of Land Transportation offices where people need to go to get a Thai Drivers License - what days do they open? Specifically, are they open on Saturdays? I'd probably be using the one opposite Soi Sukhumvit 62/1 if it makes a difference. I'd rather not book a day / half a day off work if it can be avoided...

I renewed my 5 year license today in Bangkok, at the Land Transport Office in Sukhumvit;

1. Copy and original drivers license (5year one about to expire)

2. Medical Cert. from the local doctor (80 Baht)

3. Embassy letter for proof of address

4. Translation of embassy letter in Thai

5. Copy of Passport and signed as true copy - Need to show the original in the first stages

6. Normal eyesight, preceptive, and brake test, alone with the dreaded 45minute movie subtitled in English

7. 5 Year renewal fee 605 Baht

All done for another 5 years. My new license even shows when I first got a Thai license back in 1999.

Do i need the Embassy Letter for Proof of Address if i hold a valid Work permit, can anyone confirm?

I'm pretty sure the Work Permit is sufficient, my wife called one of the offices and this is what they told her.

Anyone know the answer to my question about office opening hours?

Quick question about these Department of Land Transportation offices where people need to go to get a Thai Drivers License - what days do they open? Specifically, are they open on Saturdays? I'd probably be using the one opposite Soi Sukhumvit 62/1 if it makes a difference. I'd rather not book a day / half a day off work if it can be avoided...

I'm in the same situation, so i would also appreciate the answer to this question :)

Do i need the Embassy Letter for Proof of Address if i hold a valid Work permit, can anyone confirm?

I'm pretty sure the Work Permit is sufficient, my wife called one of the offices and this is what they told her.

Anyone know the answer to my question about office opening hours?

I've just got back from renewing my first 1 year licence (getting a new 5 year one), at the office opposite Soi 62 in Sukhumvit.

I was at the office at 7:55 today (Thursday), they opened a few moments after the national anthem at 8am. No idea if they open at week-ends, I'm afraid.

I had with me:

1. Old (expired by 2 days) 1 year licence - I understand that you CANNOT renew it before it has expired, for some reason.

2. Original UK passport, plus copy, signed by me (ALL pages with photo's entry stamps, extension of stay details etc.)

3. Original work permit, plus copy, signed by me (ALL pages with stamps etc. on. I can't read Thai, so I did the lot).

4. Medical certificate from local hospital (I'm sure local clinic would have been just as good) - It's worth telling them up front its for a driving licence, because they were trying to give me a blood test for Syphilis (needed for work permit) until I told them this.

5 Original UK licence (NOT NEEDED, they never asked for it).

Note: NO proof of address document!

I went with the missus to the information desk (my Thai is not really good enough to deal with the government!) and we filled in the 5 year form they pointed out to us. Basically it was just writing my name in one box, and the current date. However its all in Thai so if you cannot read it yourself, take somebody with you.

The lady then checked items 1-4 above, clipped them all together, and gave them back to us with a queue number (6), pointing us to the correct place to queue.

No more than 10 minutes later my number was called, and I went to the cubicle. The lady took a little while to decipher my entry and extension stamps (I've got a load as I'm in the middle of applying for PR, so get a new one every 6 months). However, once she did that, all was fine.

I then paid my 605 baht, she took my photo, asked me to check the name and date of birth shown on the screen (in English), and we were done. She pointed me to another desk, and a few moments later my new driving license was ready.

Total elapsed time, less than 45 minutes from entry to exit. ** Does not include time needed to retrieve wife from nearby food stand.

No new eyesight, reaction or driving test, no movie.

Painless. Rest of day to myself!

Edited by stbkk

Ive gotta go get my car drivers license next week - and by the looks of it i will have to do the full series of tests.

What is involved in the practical driving test (car) ? Just a basic idea will do, i wanna get out in the wife's car this weekend and practice :)

I just did my Drivers License yesterday, so i thought i would just give you a run down of my experiences.

I got there about 8:30am, the traffic was a nightmare. I didnt have a medical certificate so i had to go get one. The Motobike taxi's that hang around near the entrance know where to go and will take you there, wait for you and bring you back - they charged me 80b for the round trip. The Medical certificate was 150b.

Had all the documents checked by the lady at the front, (One copy of Work Permit+Original, One copy of Passport+Original, Medical Certificate) sent to one of the coutners to register (Counter 8) - was given a number and told i had to do the Vision test at 10:30.

Did the tests, periferal vision, colour test, depth perception and speed reaction test - the whole process took about 20-25mins including queueing.

Went to Counter 9 - the lady said they had a English language video which i had to watch - road safety, signals, traffic signs etc - this was the basis for the written test - this took 1 hour (i was finished at 12)

I was told that at 1:30 i had the written test - which is a touch-screen based multi-choice exam, where you have to get at least 24 out of 30 questions correct in order to pass - my advice is to get there a little early and use the practice machines outside first - as they give you a good idea of the type of questions asked and give you a little insight into the 'trick' questions they ask. I completed and passed this test in about 15-20mins (i double checked all my answers, otherwise i would have been done in about 10-15mins)

I was then given a number to go do the practical test. This was a three part test -

Part 1 - Drive through a corridor of cones, reverse through them and drive through them again - dont hit any of the cones.

Part 2 - Park within 25cms of the curb and before the 'stop' line

Part 3 - Reverse park into a space the size of a small bus (quite easy)

Unfortunately, i didnt pass part 2 as when i stopped for the inspecter to check, my back wheel was slightly off the line (less than half a cm) - they failed me on this, so i have to go back and do that test again in a few days (but *only* that test) - after watching some of the Thais do the test i realised it is perfectly acceptable to hit the curb with your car wheels, scratching the bodywork etc as long as you stop the car before the white 'stop' line and both of your wheels are on the white line - Silly me! :)

Edited by Wolfie

Thanks for all this Wolfie, I assume this was for getting the license for the first time, rather than a renewal? Anyway, just a couple of questions:

- The medical certificate, I've heard has to be got from a government hospital and a private hospital isn't acceptable, is this true do you know?

- What car do you use for the practical tests, one they provide? If so, is it automatic or manual? In good working order or an old banger?

- Do you have to do the practical test even if you already have a full UK (or, I guess, other nationality) license?

Thanks for all this Wolfie, I assume this was for getting the license for the first time, rather than a renewal? Anyway, just a couple of questions:

- The medical certificate, I've heard has to be got from a government hospital and a private hospital isn't acceptable, is this true do you know?

- What car do you use for the practical tests, one they provide? If so, is it automatic or manual? In good working order or an old banger?

- Do you have to do the practical test even if you already have a full UK (or, I guess, other nationality) license?

They will accept a medical cert from a private clinic (I provided medical certs from BNH Clinic at Chatuchak for my 1 yr licence and again for my 5 yr licence near Soi 99).

If you have a full UK licence the practical test is not necessary.

Sorry - yes this was getting the license for the first time - i do have a UK liucense, but i left it in the UK and my sister cannot find it - so decided to just go get the tests done :)

To answer your questions;

1. Medical cert - it was a private clinic, a very Thai orientated one - i asked the motorbike guys waiting around the area to take me to a clinic and they all knew what i needed - they took me to a tiny thai place - whilst i was there three others all came in for certs for the Driving test (farang and asian) - so this place must specialise in them!

2. I used one of the test center Hire cars - 100b to do the test - however i would warn you to check the mirrors on them, mine had a broken left hand side mirror so if you actually use mirrors for parking etc (like i do!) then it becomes more difficult - i had an automatic, but i do think they had a manual as well - it was just a honda city type car, bit scratched and battered - looks like some of the previous driving test applicants were not ready for their license :D

3. If you have a full UK license you can have that converted into a thai license instead of doing the some of the tests - the documentation on the wall at the test center spoke of a embassy certified translation was needed of your existing license - but i am sure some of the other posters here who have been through the process already can confirm the documentation you need to get an existsing license converted into a thai one and hte process involved

Edited by Wolfie

Hi all,

without reading all 21 pages can anyone clarify if you can renew an existing 5 year license for a new 5 yr license before it expires? Or is it the same when renewing a 1 yr to 5 yr that you need to wait until AFTER expity?

Many thanks.

My 1yr Motorbike & Car licenses expired on Sep 1st so I went today to get the 5yr ones. Was in & out within 1hr and all I needed was

1) Both the old licenses.

2) Copy of passport.

3) Residence certificate from immigration or copy of work permit.

4) 80baht medical cert from local hospital.

Motorbike license was 305 baht and the Car license 555 baht. Another 200 baht was required for photos as I wanted the smart license.

Hi all,

without reading all 21 pages can anyone clarify if you can renew an existing 5 year license for a new 5 yr license before it expires? Or is it the same when renewing a 1 yr to 5 yr that you need to wait until AFTER expity?

Many thanks.

Anyone?