Applying For 1 & 5 Year Thai Driving Licences

astral

Any recent experience of what is being required in Chiang Mai for 5 yr license?

Just notice my 1 yr for both car & bike expired on June 7th so I will be headed in

on Monday

Is the requirements on the first page of this topic still valid?

Mainly I want to know about the things that are needed from others

( Residence certificate & medical certificate )

browsing the topic is seems some ares not required so I was curious about Chiang Mai

If not I have no problem making copies of passport,TM etc

Thanks

Edited by mania

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any recent experience of what is being required in Chiang Mai for 5 yr license?

Just notice my 1 yr for both car & bike expired on June 7th so I will be headed in

on Monday

Is the requirements on the first page of this topic still valid?

Mainly I want to know about the things that are needed from others

( Residence certificate & medical certificate )

browsing the topic is seems some ares not required so I was curious about Chiang Mai

If not I have no problem making copies of passport,TM etc

Thanks

Just renewed my 1 year at Rayong and didn't need passport photos for the residence certificate. They did however emphasise that it can only be used for a driving licence. Didn't re do the test either, he asked me about the colour test and then told my wife for me to just go and sit down and wait for my number to be called. The place was packed so he probably couldn't be bothered explaining how I was to use test equipment.

Just renewed my 1 year at Rayong and didn't need passport photos for the residence certificate. They did however emphasise that it can only be used for a driving licence. Didn't re do the test either, he asked me about the colour test and then told my wife for me to just go and sit down and wait for my number to be called. The place was packed so he probably couldn't be bothered explaining how I was to use test equipment.

Thanks misterphil but I am confused by "didn't need passport photos for the residence certificate"

Do you mean you did not need either ( photos or residence cert )or did not need a photo to get a residence cert?

I usually get mine at the US consulate here & never need photos to get one.

But not sure if i am understanding you correctly

Thanks

Edited by mania

Thanks misterphil but I am confused by "didn't need passport photos for the residence certificate"

Do you mean you did not need either ( photos or residence cert )or did not need a photo to get a residence cert?

I usually get mine at the US consulate here & never need photos to get one.

But not sure if i am understanding you correctly

Thanks

I meant I didn't need passport photos for the residence certificate this time at Rayong. At Pattaya for the last 3 years the residence certificate needed passport photos.

Ah I see I was reading the requirements for renewal of a 1 year license on the 1st page of this topic.

I now see there is also a section on the 5yr license which is what I am after.

So, it seems maybe no medical report or cert of residence is needed?

Maybe I will just go in on Monday with everything else & ask.

For a 5 year you will need medical certificate, residence certificate and a non O visa or work permit. You will also need your old Thai licences.

Ah I see I was reading the requirements for renewal of a 1 year license on the 1st page of this topic.

For a 5 year you will need medical certificate, residence certificate and a non O visa or work permit. You will also need your old Thai licences.

So the rules from that other post that said no med cert have changed or are different for Chiang Mai now?

I realize that is an older post

So the rules from that other post that said no med cert have changed or are different for Chiang Mai now?

I don't know about Chiang Mai now but when I lived there 4 years ago my residence certificate needed passport photos. You will need a residence certificate to get a driving licence anywhere, how will they know what address to put on the back of the licence?

I don't know about Chiang Mai now but when I lived there 4 years ago my residence certificate needed passport photos. You will need a residence certificate to get a driving licence anywhere, how will they know what address to put on the back of the licence?

I do already have a Thai Car & motorcycle license from Chiang Mai but it is 1yr only & just expired so thought maybe that was sufficient.

But looking at the list I posted I guess they want residence certified again

:) always a bit confusing here

Edited by mania

I do already have a Thai Car & motorcycle license from Chiang Mai but it is 1yr only & just expired so thought maybe that was sufficient.

But looking at the list I posted I guess they want residence certified again

smile.png always a bit confusing here

Telephone or visit first is usually best.

As said many times throughout Thailand DLT offices have different requirements and they sometimes change them whenever they want, maybe its to do with what side of the bed the boss got out of or whose that particular morning.laugh.png

As said many times throughout Thailand DLT offices have different requirements and they sometimes change them whenever they want, maybe its to do with what side of the bed the boss got out of or whose that particular morning.laugh.png

Yes I agree Kwasaki & that is my plan for Monday morning

I could not get an appointment at the US consulate till Thursday anyway

So I will go & get the info just in case.

Last year they had a nice lady helping you sort thru your papers pre-counter

hope she is still there smile.png

Yes I agree Kwasaki & that is my plan for Monday morning

I could not get an appointment at the US consulate till Thursday anyway

So I will go & get the info just in case.

Last year they had a nice lady helping you sort thru your papers pre-counter

hope she is still there smile.png

DLT where I am excepts a confirmation of address letter from our local police station, maybe worth asking them when there.smile.png

Ok went in today & yes it is the same as the list in post 1034

I had everything except cert of residence & they need it

So will grab one at the US Consulate on Thursday smile.png

Might even try Immigration before that if I am feeling

really brave :lol:

Immigration is such a zoo here in Chiang Mai I try to never set foot in there except

once a year for my yearly visa extension

Edited by mania

really brave laugh.png

Immigration is such a zoo here in Chiang Mai I try to never set foot in there except

Out of interest what do they mean by wanting " cert of residence " isn't it the same as " confirmation of address ".

really brave laugh.png

Out of interest what do they mean by wanting " cert of residence " isn't it the same as " confirmation of address ".

really brave laugh.png

really brave laugh.png

Yes it is the proof of address.

Reading the Chiangmai forum seems you can get them again at immigration for 500 baht or sometimes free

But folks say 10-15 days

So I will do my usual run to the US Consulate & pay their higher fee of 1600 baht for one.

I have bought 3 or 4 already sheesh :)

On that multiple posts deal I reported the problem already but no response.

What happens is the forum goes into a unresolved saving message loop.

But if you open another tab & look you will see your post is posted so just close

the old tab. But if you hit post again it will double/triple up :(

really brave laugh.png

Reading the Chiangmai forum seems you can get them again at immigration for 500 baht or sometimes free

But folks say 10-15 days

So I will do my usual run to the US Consulate & pay their higher fee of 1600 baht for one.

I have bought 3 or 4 already sheesh smile.png

But if you open another tab & look you will see your post is posted so just close

the old tab. But if you hit post again it will double/triple up sad.png

Did you ask the question cause maybe you could save yourself a bit of inconvenience, trouble and dosh and ask them if a letter from your local police station would be OK.

really brave laugh.png

But folks say 10-15 days

I have bought 3 or 4 already sheesh smile.png

the old tab. But if you hit post again it will double/triple up sad.png

Did you ask the question cause maybe you could save yourself a bit of inconvenience, trouble and dosh and ask them if a letter from your local police station would be OK.

Dohfacepalm.gif

Forgot that one.

But then again I have been to the cop shop here once before & did not like

the experience too much heheh

When I first moved here folks on this forum said you need to report to the cop shop

& tell them where your staying + a form I forget which number.

So I got the form filled it out & went in.

Took my wife to help in case. Well when we explained I had to notify them

of where I am staying their faces changed & they got pretty mean looking :)

They seemed to think I was a ex-rapist or something that was required by law to report my whereabouts when moving etc.

clap2.gif

Anyway once I explained they just got a little less mean & said beat it that is not required of you

I currently have a 1 year Thai licence, it runs out on the 30th August which is a friday, from what I have read I need to go after the licence has expired which would be a saturday, so I have 2 questions : 1. Are these centres open on the weekend? 2. If they are not is it ok to go on the tuesday following?

Thanks

I just did mine which had been expired a month & had no problems.

Got my 5 year bike & car done yesterday afternoon. Very good time too go , no crowds no waiting at any line etc.

I believe you can renew it for up to a year after expiration

But of course you are still not legal if stopped during that time.

Just an afterthought. I have a Retirement Visa so I am thinking that as far as re newing a DL is concerned reading Non Immigrant Visa and Retirement Visa that the requirements are the same?

Just an afterthought. I have a Retirement Visa so I am thinking that as far as re newing a DL is concerned reading Non Immigrant Visa and Retirement Visa that the requirements are the same?

Yes no difference.

The list posted in post 1034 is all you need.

You take a color test is all ( red,yellow,green lights )

Not reaction test & no training course

Yes no difference.

Now I am confused I did not realize I needed to get another medical certificate, I thought it was for the 1 year only and then every 5 years once you are on the 5 year term.

Yes no difference.

Now I am confused I did not realize I needed to get another medical certificate, I thought it was for the 1 year only and then every 5 years once you are on the 5 year term.

Yeah I needed it to get my 5yr

Same as I did for my 1 yr

Only 100 baht at any hospital

Edited by mania

Yes no difference.

Depends on the DLT you go to, they all have there own way of running things. facepalm.gif