Applying For 1 & 5 Year Thai Driving Licences

astral

pay under the table to a local neighbour who works at Immigration, and who says she can get one for me as easy as pie.

^^^^^^^^^^ There is the easy option and probably why you couldn't get one from immigration in the first place...they need some tea money sad.png

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK, well now i have been to Immigration, to my local town hall, and to my local police station, and none of those places were able to give me the certificate of residence document, variously citing the fact that i didn't have my name in the blue tabien bahn book, that i didn't have a Thai ID card and that i didn't have a Non Imm B visa. Kind of strikes me that if i did have any of those things, why would i need this certificate of residence thingy? I don't think i would.

Anyway, down to two options now. One is to go to my embassy - not sure what docs they require, but do know they charge an arm and a leg - and two, is to pay under the table to a local neighbour who works at Immigration, and who says she can get one for me as easy as pie. Don't really like either option. All seems such a nightmare. Not trying to anything illegal, or anything that out of the ordinary, just get reissued a darn driving license. The bureaucracy drives me crazy. Not just that there are rules for the sake of rules, but the fact that you can speak to two different people in the same government department and get two completely different answers.

Frankly I do not understand the situation you find yourself in.

I refer to my post a few pages back.

" Personally I would just go along first to your local DLT with all your stuff and ask them what else do you need for when you come to renew your existing licence." smile.png

I did try to get thai driving license today but got rejected. I did know that I need proof of address but because I don't have it I did want to go and test if they let me apply or not.

Well, they say that I need to go to immigration and get paper from there, I go there but because I have tourist visa they say they can't make me proof of address but when I go to do extension they say they can make.... I don't know why they can give me then and not now?

I rent house in here Chanthaburi but rent paper is on my gf name. When my gf talk with phone with that woman it was ok to do it under my name or put me on that paper but like allways everything what they say here is different when it's real time to do it... I have asked my gf to talk with that woman and ask if we can do paper or add my self to "yellow book" but that's looks also nearly impossible, same if need to ask something from people...

What options I have left?

If I remember right I can drive with my foreign driving license 90days? or was it 60days? So if it's example now 90days, and i go to do border run and I will come back to Thailand I can again drive 90days? right?

I did try to get thai driving license today but got rejected. I did know that I need proof of address but because I don't have it I did want to go and test if they let me apply or not.

Well, they say that I need to go to immigration and get paper from there, I go there but because I have tourist visa they say they can't make me proof of address but when I go to do extension they say they can make.... I don't know why they can give me then and not now?

I rent house in here Chanthaburi but rent paper is on my gf name. When my gf talk with phone with that woman it was ok to do it under my name or put me on that paper but like allways everything what they say here is different when it's real time to do it... I have asked my gf to talk with that woman and ask if we can do paper or add my self to "yellow book" but that's looks also nearly impossible, same if need to ask something from people...

If I remember right I can drive with my foreign driving license 90days? or was it 60days? So if it's example now 90days, and i go to do border run and I will come back to Thailand I can again drive 90days? right?

1. At DLT's they need an address to put on the licence.

2.Some immigrations are just like DLT's when you only have a tourist visa.

3.Your girlfriend rents the house you just paid for it.

4.Your girlfriend should get a letter and a copy of the housebook of the landlord you rent from.

5.Your girlfriend should go along with you to DLT and see exactly what they want.

6.You cannot put yourself in a blue book of a house only a yellow one and I doubt very much if you can get a yellow book if you are in a rented house.

7. What Options :- See 5.

8. It is 90 days in one year on a tourist visa so you need to get a Thai driving licence.

Didn't know you can get tourist visa every 90 days.

Maybe someone can chip in with more info.

4.Your girlfriend should get a letter and a copy of the housebook of the landlord you rent from.

5.Your girlfriend should go along with you to DLT and see exactly what they want.

6.You cannot put yourself in a blue book of a house only a yellow one and I doubt very much if you can get a yellow book if you are in a rented house.

8. It is 90 days in one year on a tourist visa so you need to get a Thai driving licence.

Yeah will go with my girl there next week. Will also take rent paper and add my name on it. Maybe that will be enough them... And owner of this house is not willing to put my self to yellow book.

And about tourist visa it was 60 day + 30 extension = total 90 days :)

Are you sure about that 90 days/1 year rule?

example: im now in here with my tourist visa, have 2 entry. and soon I have to go and do visa run to cambodia. I will only stamp my passport and will come back same day. and when I come back to Thailand i'm again "tourist" in here, so with my logic I can drive again 90 days here. I have not find official info about this yet.

Yeah will go with my girl there next week. Will also take rent paper and add my name on it. Maybe that will be enough them... And owner of this house is not willing to put my self to yellow book.

And about tourist visa it was 60 day + 30 extension = total 90 days smile.png

Are you sure about that 90 days/1 year rule?

example: im now in here with my tourist visa, have 2 entry. and soon I have to go and do visa run to cambodia. I will only stamp my passport and will come back same day. and when I come back to Thailand i'm again "tourist" in here, so with my logic I can drive again 90 days here. I have not find official info about this yet.

I wouldn't rely on your logic in Thailand. laugh.png

It could be 90 days from your last entry, dunno.

Maybe the answer is on this web site.

http://driving-in-thailand.com/land-transport-offices-in-thailand/

The answer maybe within this bit av a read up.

http://driving-in-thailand.com/type-of-driving-licence-required/

The DLT office you go to maybe OK and give a Thai licence or they might want you to change your visa.

OK, well now i have been to Immigration, to my local town hall, and to my local police station, and none of those places were able to give me the certificate of residence document, variously citing the fact that i didn't have my name in the blue tabien bahn book, that i didn't have a Thai ID card and that i didn't have a Non Imm B visa. Kind of strikes me that if i did have any of those things, why would i need this certificate of residence thingy? I don't think i would.

Anyway, down to two options now. One is to go to my embassy - not sure what docs they require, but do know they charge an arm and a leg - and two, is to pay under the table to a local neighbour who works at Immigration, and who says she can get one for me as easy as pie. Don't really like either option. All seems such a nightmare. Not trying to anything illegal, or anything that out of the ordinary, just get reissued a darn driving license. The bureaucracy drives me crazy. Not just that there are rules for the sake of rules, but the fact that you can speak to two different people in the same government department and get two completely different answers.

" Personally I would just go along first to your local DLT with all your stuff and ask them what else do you need for when you come to renew your existing licence." smile.png

I have been to my local DLT office in Bangkok and they explained to me why there i am finding things more difficult than other foreigners, in terms of getting address confirmation. DLT offices in Bangkok or near to Bangkok, expect expats who are unable to get the confirmation of address from Immigration, like myself, to go to my Embassy and shell out the 3000 baht or whatever it is, and get it from them. In the case of expats who live a long distance from their Embassy, they will however make a compromise by accepting documents such as from the town hall, police station, etc. As it happens, those places wouldn't issue me with the document anyway, but even if they had of, doesn't seem like they would have been accepted.

So off it is to the British Embassy i go...

I have been to my local DLT office in Bangkok and they explained to me why there i am finding things more difficult than other foreigners, in terms of getting address confirmation. DLT offices in Bangkok or near to Bangkok, expect expats who are unable to get the confirmation of address from Immigration, like myself, to go to my Embassy and shell out the 3000 baht or whatever it is, and get it from them. In the case of expats who live a long distance from their Embassy, they will however make a compromise by accepting documents such as from the town hall, police station, etc. As it happens, those places wouldn't issue me with the document anyway, but even if they had of, doesn't seem like they would have been accepted.

So off it is to the British Embassy i go...

OK understand, i say get yourself a yellow book ever since I have had one I never get any grief from any forms of applications.

pay under the table to a local neighbour who works at Immigration, and who says she can get one for me as easy as pie.

^^^^^^^^^^ There is the easy option and probably why you couldn't get one from immigration in the first place...they need some tea money sad.png

This most accurately describes the situation. It is not always the case though it is sometimes quite easy to satisfy requirements but if you meet with obstacles the best way is to ask a Thai for help. If you qualify it should be easy to get anything for reasonable expenses.

I renewed my retirement extension today, then went on to get a letter testifying to my address. I entered the country last week so,don't have a ninety day receipt. The clown I spoke to, told me that I needed a letter from my embassy and copies of my passport, to apply at immigration for a letter confirming my address.

What he doesn't seem to realize is that if I have a letter from my embassy I won't need him!

This proof of address is the one non-defined thing, so one can't blame officialdom for exploiting it sometimes.

The beauracracy here suffers from what English politicians call 'joined up thinking' , coordination to you and I,

it is incredible that in this age of computers that your TM entry card with an address scribbled on it is sufficient proof of abode for you to up to 90 days but not not sufficient to get a driving licence.

Renewing a visa does not constitute the start of a 90 day stay.

Having a visa and all details on record is not sufficient proof of address for getting a licence.

Attesting to your address is sufficient to prove that you are entitled to enter the country, extend a visa, to stay more than ninety days, but it doesn't prove where you live you must produce a letter attesting to the fact that you have told your embassy where you live.

Now there is nothing to be made by anyone but the embassy from one of their letters but it is sufficient hassle to encourage applicants to try to avoid doing it.

Ludicrous!

I am off to find a national with some street cred. to help me get my driving licence, if that doesn't work I will try again after my 90 day report with a more civil civil servant.

This most accurately describes the situation. It is not always the case though it is sometimes quite easy to satisfy requirements but if you meet with obstacles the best way is to ask a Thai for help. If you qualify it should be easy to get anything for reasonable expenses.

I renewed my retirement extension today, then went on to get a letter testifying to my address. I entered the country last week so,don't have a ninety day receipt. The clown I spoke to, told me that I needed a letter from my embassy and copies of my passport, to apply at immigration for a letter confirming my address.

What he doesn't seem to realize is that if I have a letter from my embassy I won't need him!

This proof of address is the one non-defined thing, so one can't blame officialdom for exploiting it sometimes.

The beauracracy here suffers from what English politicians call 'joined up thinking' , coordination to you and I,

it is incredible that in this age of computers that your TM entry card with an address scribbled on it is sufficient proof of abode for you to up to 90 days but not not sufficient to get a driving licence.

Renewing a visa does not constitute the start of a 90 day stay.

Having a visa and all details on record is not sufficient proof of address for getting a licence.

Attesting to your address is sufficient to prove that you are entitled to enter the country, extend a visa, to stay more than ninety days, but it doesn't prove where you live you must produce a letter attesting to the fact that you have told your embassy where you live.

Now there is nothing to be made by anyone but the embassy from one of their letters but it is sufficient hassle to encourage applicants to try to avoid doing it.

Ludicrous!

I am off to find a national with some street cred. to help me get my driving licence, if that doesn't work I will try again after my 90 day report with a more civil civil servant.

Don't really understand everything you are trying to state, if you have a place of stay you have an address.

There are various ways of acquiring proof of address.

If you can give more info of where you are and live maybe someone on TV in your area can help you with it and someone who has already been through the hoops of obtaining a Thai driving licence.

You have renewed your retirement visa so you should not have any trouble getting a driving licence by either producing your own valid licence from your home country or taking the Thai test for one.

As you say take a local Thai friend or aquaintance along a polite one and if it happens to be somebody who knows someone working in your local DLT office you apply at, that's a bonus.

Well i made the trip down to the British Embassy and begrudgingly handed over my 3000 baht for my A4 sheet of paper.

The consulate official who signed the paper was Thai, and she was quite sympathetic. She said, what an awful lot of money to pay for the sake of a driving license, and asked me how long it would be valid for. When i told her just one year, she said, well, i should hope, if your address doesn't change in the next year, you won't have to come back here again and pay another 3000 baht. Yes, you would think that wouldn't you, i replied! I thought about mentioning to her all the tens of thousands of foreigners who trot down to Immigration every 90 days to tell them yes, i'm still living in the same place i was 90 days ago, and the 90 days before that, and the 90 days before then... but thought better of it.

Anyway, with my 3000 baht of A4 paper in my hand, i went down to the driving centre place yesterday, and went through all the different bureaucratic stages involved, including the eye tests and stuff, and the whole time i was there, i was dwelling on the depressing prospect of having to fork out all this money and waste all this time, the same time again next year, assuming my visa situation remains the same. It wasn't until i got to the final stage, in which you pay the money and have your pic taken, that i glanced at the paperwork and saw that it was for a 5 year license. Suddenly got very nervous and worried that right at the final hurdle, it would get noticed that i should only be given a one year, but nothing was said and i walked about hopping and skipping. Perhaps it was the fact that the license i was renewing was a 5 year one, that made them simply replace like for like. Whatever it was, very happy.

Thanks for all the tips and advice along the way, particularly to Kwasaki. wai.gif

Edited by rixalex

[

Ludicrous!

Don't really understand everything you are trying to state, if you have a place of stay you have an address.

There are various ways of acquiring proof of address.

If you can give more info of where you are and live maybe someone on TV in your area can help you with it and someone who has already been through the hoops of obtaining a Thai driving licence.

You have renewed your retirement visa so you should not have any trouble getting a driving licence by either producing your own valid licence from your home country or taking the Thai test for one.

As you say take a local Thai friend or aquaintance along a polite one and if it happens to be somebody who knows someone working in your local DLT office you apply at, that's a bonus.

Thanks for getting back to this.

I stay at Rajayotin area in a friends house. I have done for seven or eight years.

My licence expired 6 months ago in May, while I was in England.

When I saw the uncivil civil servant at Immigration I had just extended my retirement for another year.

The uncvl cvl svnt needed a ninety day receipt in order to issue a letter from Immigration. Neither my TM 6 arrival card of 22nd Oct. or my visa extension could prove my address, only a report of presence 90 days after 22nd or an embassy letter would do.

This is why I say; ludicrous.

I went to DLT at Mo Chit with a friend's friend who's sister works there but unfortunately was at a meeting, she got us a meeting with a three ringer who spoke to sister on the 'phone, calling her พี่ . He remarked to us that an embassy letter was required and that it was expensive; 1000 baht, what would he think of 2500.

He looked at my passport, my friends house registration and my old licence, and if the computer had it, my address when I got the license. He sent me out to do the colour, depth of vision, reaction and peripheral vision tests and I watched a film for an hour. I now need an embassy letter or wait for a ninety day report and try for one from Immigration.

The film was very good, touching, and a lesson in manners and care on the road, if all drivers took it to heart they would be as good a driver as me. I bought a handbook, for 50 baht in spite of having three already but I thought that this one was the official version since it is offered with the Film but it is no better or worse than the others, they are all good.

I agree with the last post, the fee from the embassy is scandalous, I wonder if the police get a cut. Do you know what is required for the Embassy and can it be done while you wait?

Sorry to be so long, it just adds to the wealth of anecdotal evidence of the procedure, which could change tomorrow although the printed requirements may remain the same.

I agree with the last post, the fee from the embassy is scandalous, I wonder if the police get a cut. Do you know what is required for the Embassy and can it be done while you wait?

Police don't get a cut from the embassies, it's just the cost of all those embassy bureaucrats on their overseas packages.

All you need is a utility bill with your name and address on it. Plus your passport. And of course the 3000 baht. Takes about half an hour. One of the annoying aspects of any embassy business is their working hours. 8.30 to 11 i think it is. Even though i live on the outskirts of Bangkok, for me that means leaving home at about 5am. Any later than that and you are screwed with traffic and parking.

Police don't get a cut from the embassies, it's just the cost of all those embassy bureaucrats on their overseas packages.

All you need is a utility bill with your name and address on it. Plus your passport. And of course the 3000 baht. Takes about half an hour. One of the annoying aspects of any embassy business is their working hours. 8.30 to 11 i think it is. Even though i live on the outskirts of Bangkok, for me that means leaving home at about 5am. Any later than that and you are screwed with traffic and parking.

Half an hour is good thanks. Not such a hurdle, I should have researched this before I got friends involved.

Half an hour is good thanks. Not such a hurdle, I should have researched this before I got friends involved.

I have the licence now, and have to send proof of address later via contacts. I don't own anything here or pay any bills so don't think that the embassy is the way to go. I shall wait until I have done the 90 day report and try Immigration again.

It was explained to me that only 20% of civil servants with an English qualification can speak it acceptably, so the likelyhood is that you will be looking at one of the 80% . If you don't make it easy for them, slow and clear, they won't make it easy for you; and that is just to get a queue number!

If you speak Thai, speak more than the words, learn when not to say anything and be polite. If you say 'must bow and scrape' then that is the problem with your Thai, you may as well embarrass them honestly in English

I have the licence now, and have to send proof of address later via contacts. I don't own anything here or pay any bills so don't think that the embassy is the way to go. I shall wait until I have done the 90 day report and try Immigration again.

It was explained to me that only 20% of civil servants with an English qualification can speak it acceptably, so the likelyhood is that you will be looking at one of the 80% . If you don't make it easy for them, slow and clear, they won't make it easy for you; and that is just to get a queue number!

If you speak Thai, speak more than the words, learn when not to say anything and be polite. If you say 'must bow and scrape' then that is the problem with your Thai, you may as well embarrass them honestly in English

Yea !! sort off hear what you say, I have never gone to the embassy for anything other than for when I was getting married to my Thai lady and before we were married to get her into the UK,

I want to try and get a Thai driving license. I have a 1 Year International driving license from the UK and my full UK driving license with me, which allows me to drive a car but I cant ride a bike back in the U.K. I know on page one of this thread there's a list of what you need to do but that was posted years ago. Can anyone tell me if the procedure has changed. I am in phuket by the way. Dont know if that makes any difference.

I want to try and get a Thai driving license.

I have a 1 Year International driving license from the UK and my full UK driving license with me, which allows me to drive a car but I cant ride a bike back in the U.K.

I know on page one of this thread there's a list of what you need to do but that was posted years ago. Can anyone tell me if the procedure has changed. I am in phuket by the way. Dont know if that makes any difference.

You can get a Thai driving license by going to your local DLT office with your full valid UK driving licence near to where you are staying.

Coming from the UK you didn't really need a IDP but never mind ahh !! Your full UK license for a car will be sufficiant for 90 days for driving in Thailand on a tourist visa.

If you have not got a full licence motorcycle category on you Uk licence you can take you motorcycle test here in Thailand at the DLT office.

Phuket can be different to other areas around Thailand but as for what you need or procedure go along to the DLT with your Thai partner, friend whatever and ask them what you need to bring with you when you return to get your car licence and pass your test for a motorcycle.

No worries. smile.png

On Phuket requiredL medical statement, residence cerificate or workpermit or yellow housebook, passport with copies of relevant papers. From what I hear they don't accept visa exempt entries, but you never know.

On Phuket requiredL medical statement, residence cerificate or workpermit or yellow housebook, passport with copies of relevant papers. From what I hear they don't accept visa exempt entries, but you never know.

So are you saying if I am on a Tourist Visa I cant get a driving license in phuket. I am going to be riding a bike as I have no access to a car.

So are you saying if I am on a Tourist Visa I cant get a driving license in phuket. I am going to be riding a bike as I have no access to a car.

Not really as stevie boy says " you never know ".

If you take your test in Phuket to enable you to ride a motorbike I can't see why they will not give a 1 year licence for a motorcycle.

Back in this thread and others on this subject people have said they got 1 year licences on tourist visa's in Phuket, allegely.

http://driving-in-thailand.com/category/license/thai-driving-license/

Phuket Province Land Transport Office

42/1 Rattanakosin Song Roy Pee Road, Tambon Taladnua, Muang District, Phuket Province, 83000

Tel: 076-241-930

Covers the districts: Muang, Thalang and Kathu.

On visa, yes, on visa exempt, no (for the latter: you might be lucky).

Is it expensive to get the medical statement and residence certificate.

Is it expensive to get the medical statement and residence certificate.

No, medical statement very cheap, any doctor can do, residence should be free, I think they charge 300 baht. More info on that on Phuket forum, I have a WP so don't need that.

I'm just about to renew my first 5 year DL.

Do I need to do this before the current one runs out or after it has expired (like when replacing the 1 year for a 5 year)?

I'm assuming I need address and medical certificates - anything else?

Edited by steve73

Do I need to do this before the current one runs out or after it has expired (like when replacing the 1 year for a 5 year)?

You don't need to wait until your 5 year license expire. However if you do wait for it to expire, you will get almost 6 years validity instead of 5 years at renewal.

As a side note, since you mentioned it. You do not need to wait until the 1 year license expires before applying for the 5 year one. This is how it used to be, however the regulations changed a few years back, you can now apply for the 5 year license within 60 days of the 1 year license expiry date.

Say where you are and maybe someone can help you question.

As said many times, and I've lost count, go to your local DLT and find out what you need, the DLT's seem to be all different and some need more stuff than others. smile.png

I want to try and get a Thai driving license. I have a 1 Year International driving license from the UK and my full UK driving license with me, which allows me to drive a car but I cant ride a bike back in the U.K. I know on page one of this thread there's a list of what you need to do but that was posted years ago. Can anyone tell me if the procedure has changed. I am in phuket by the way. Dont know if that makes any difference.

I live here in Phuket and you can change your international driving license to a Thai license (If you only have car on the UK license you will get only car here to) there are 2 very easy tests that take 2 min and a movie you have to look at (50 min) and you need medical certificate (100 Thb) Patong and Certificate of residence (300 Thb) and copies of the important pages in the passport.

And off Corse a valid TR or non O visa.

If you don't have the letter for motorcycle on the international driving license you need to do the theory and practise test and it will take from 8:30 to 15:30

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

I just did mine ... my license ran out last Saturday (my birthday), on Monday I took my Yellow Book and Copy, my Passport and copy plus my old license. Had to sit through the 1Hr film, do the eyesight and reaction tests and then was given a new license valid for 6 years less two days.