Desperate Times Desperate Measures

safe66

Went to local bar near (can not remember name)7/11 and sunday market and got told i didnt pay for 1 drink the week before ,so i gave the benefit of the doubt and paid , then went to same bar again this week and was told i owe for 2 drinks i had from last visit ,so questioned it this time and the owner manager said no problem, i do remember seeing many a bar girl chasing customers down the road saying not paid your bill, so it did seem a little bit worrying if this is what some bars are coming to.

Went to local bar near (can not remember name)7/11 and sunday market and got told i didnt pay for 1 drink the week before ,so i gave the benefit of the doubt and paid , then went to same bar again this week and was told i owe for 2 drinks i had from last visit ,so questioned it this time and the owner manager said no problem, i do remember seeing many a bar girl chasing customers down the road saying not paid your bill, so it did seem a little bit worrying if this is what some bars are coming to.

safest way is to pay when you get the drink , with a receipt if necessary.

Would it not be useful to try to find the bar and post it here? Just a thought.

Get the manager over and tell him you'll call the tourist police next time it happens. May not do squat but at least shows you're not prepared to take it up the bottom. Either that or don't go back :)

I don't think that would go with thaivisa rules. Unsubstantiated rumours would not be tolerated here.

I've forgotten to pay a few times and have been told later. I've always paid later without question because I'm a regular customer. However, a couple of times I think I've been over charged by one particular bar tender. I'm always cautious when she is on the till. I don't drink much myself, but I do buy drinks for some of the ladies and I always keep track. It's easy enough to make a rough total in my head. I think most of them are honest or they would soon be out of business. Word gets around quickly when there are scammers. Any guy who gets drunk and spends like there is no tomorrow is a sucker for anyone who wants to take him. He should accept his losses for his own foolishness.

safest way is to pay when you get the drink , with a receipt if necessary.

Safest way is to not drink in bars like that.

This is a good argument for drinking where you're known and appreciated. I've lifted a glass in many a fine establishment (actually I've got hammered in many a low-life joint) and never had this problem.

The safest way is to stay home and not venture out at all, but a man has to do what a man has to do!

Mount Everest

spacer.gifk0688760.jpg

There is a difference between adventure and stupidity generally determined by the out come is how the action will be judged. I don't go out much as I have a family and I tend to drink with my neighbors in the comfort and safety of our homes which are all with in walking distance of one another. I understand those living in the city really don't have a choice but to go out however if you are drinking at a bar with bar girls well... There are some really nice respectable places in the city to hang out where you don't have to worry about such things and you find a better quality of human beings not to mention a decent atmosphere, clean accommodation and the prices are right in line with the dark seedy hole in the wall places.

I don't think that would go with thaivisa rules. Unsubstantiated rumours would not be tolerated here.

I've forgotten to pay a few times and have been told later. I've always paid later without question because I'm a regular customer. However, a couple of times I think I've been over charged by one particular bar tender. I'm always cautious when she is on the till. I don't drink much myself, but I do buy drinks for some of the ladies and I always keep track. It's easy enough to make a rough total in my head. I think most of them are honest or they would soon be out of business. Word gets around quickly when there are scammers. Any guy who gets drunk and spends like there is no tomorrow is a sucker for anyone who wants to take him. He should accept his losses for his own foolishness.

I agree with you, and I was going to suggest that it is better to have a regular place to go so that you become familiar with the owner, manager, etc. That would, I think, reduce the possibility of being scammed. Appreciate the heads-up.

I'm not judging or criticizing, but I just don't drink (or if do, just 1 or 2 very rarely). Trust me, I've been drunk a few hundred times before (was in US Navy), but in the past few years I've learned that (for me), drinking almost always led to: do or say something stupid, spend too much (or get robbed), drive and have accident, hurt yourself or someone else and the worst part, the hangover. I cannot handle the hangovers anymore (and I'm only 38). Maybe it's just a phase.

And I've never enjoyed the taste of alcohol, I would only drink to get drunk. So I basically just stopped. I've been that obnoxious drunk staggering down the street embarrassing myself and everyone else, so I said "no more". I don't care anymore what ppl think (bar girls) when I order water or a coke. I've learned that, here especially, I'm the only person looking out for number one so I better do a good job, and drinking is just too risky. I still like to visit the girly bars but it's nice to keep a clear head.

Who knows, next year or in 20 years it might be different but for now, I just say "No thank you. Coke please."

I used to know a guy who ran a bar and when the girls brought you your drink you had to sign your name on the bill, it stopped a lot of trouble as it is hard to add extas on when you have scrawled your signature across the page. Haven't seen it in too many places since though, maybe it's not a very profitable practice.....

There is a difference between adventure and stupidity generally determined by the out come is how the action will be judged.

I don't know. Whenever I see one of these fellows who is killed climbing a dangerous mountain or doing one of these ultra dangerous sports, I always think, what did this idiot think was going to happen?

Everybody knows that they are just trying to get laid anyway. Why else would a full grown man do something so stupid?

Why not just saunter down to Spotlight and pick up a nice lady? It is a lot safer, your chances of satisfaction are much higher, it will probably be cheaper and the possibilities of getting killed are almost nil.

I have never been threatened or insulted or ripped off in a Go-Go bar and I have been to many. In fact I have mostly had a pretty good time.

I was in the Marines at one point and I have been in some other dangerous situations, but why tempt fate if you have a choice in the matter? I will go for one of those "dark seedy hole in the wall places" over extreme sports any old time (By the way, I often order plain soda). :)

Men Engage in Dangerous sports to Attract Women

It's common knowledge that men may sometime act foolishly when in the presence of women, so as to attract them and prove that they are very skilled at what they do. This is true for rock climbers, parachutists and other males engaged in very dangerous and life-threatening extreme sports. A new study suggests that this behavior, which may otherwise be considered irrational, is driven by the will to attract potential mates, as men often think that by showing confidence in their abilities, they "grow" in the eyes of women.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Men-Engaged...en-100629.shtml

Edited by Ulysses G.

Fooled you once shame on you.....fooled you twice you're stupid to return to that bar. You owe it to us to share the name of that bar near the 7-11 so that others can avoid or confirm what you claim.

Like i said i dont know the name of bar (but it is in between top north hotel and rachadamnoen road nearest 7/11)and i dont go past there that often but be my guest and go as many times as you like .

I'll run over and see if they have a sign. I need some papaya slices anyway. :)

The bar in question is called Nai Bar and it is between a aircon mini-mart and Sawasdee Travel. There is only a small red sign over the door which is easy to miss.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Hmmm, I have had problems in the past with padded bills. Also with buying ladies drinks that start out as watered down coke @100 baht, then later in the evening become slammers @ 200 baht. There was also a problem with a friend whom like to have a community cup, which the group used and shared the total, but he used to buy drinks for every lady in the bar until the bill resembled the encyclopedia Britanica. So now I have a policy of no shared cups and pay as you go, now I have no more problems and I can enjoy myself.