Nationwide Strike Halts All Trains

george

Nothing but sympathy from me. I must say that the "levels of filth" are absolutely bearable, and the delays are to be expected on a large system of single lines.

As for private railways, ask the brits. They have extensive knowledge of such blessings.

What the Brits have is extensive knowledge of running trains on lines that are over a hundred years old.

Anyone complaining about privatisation in the UK has forgotten how much worse things were under British Rail. (The trains were possibly less crowded in those daya - simply because fewer people were using them).

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here we go again, restoring confidence into the tourism sector. Maybe they could be bothered to clean the trains while they all sit there going nowhere. Truthfully I'm surprised the train and its tracks are still functional as I have not seen one single improvement done to the railway system since I rode the the train the first time years ago, seems it gets dirtier every year.

Having just ventured off into Malaysia this year they have one of the most beautiful central railway stations in the world and are soon to open high speed rail all the way from Singapore to the border at Hat Yai in Thailand.

Can I asked where you got the information about Malaysia's high speed link. I did an internet search and the only recent reference I could find was this

"There is a bullet train project at 300 km/h (186 mph) proposed to link Kuala Lumpur and Singapore, proposed by current Malaysian operator KLIA Express YTL Corporation, which links Kuala Lumpur with the KLIA. It would be the first transborder high speed line outside of Europe if built. Travel time would be 90 minutes, compared with 4 hours of highway drive, 7 hours currently by standard rail, 2 hours of flight including commuting to and from airport, check in and boarding. Talks of a Bangkok - Kuala Lumpur - Singapore line spanning the 3 nations have been suggested previously, though no action has been taken.

Malaysian Trains ! Bullets !.............the last time i rode a train there was in the 50's. I was a teenage soldier heading for the jungles of Perak and the CT's were trying to scare us.

Hoping to do the journey again this year, no bullets this time thank goodness.

Plans for project were shelved due to high cost that the government would have to bear. The project also faces opposition from rail operator rivals such as Keretapi Tanah Melayu."

Yes, Project existed during Badawi's time. Project was 'hijacked' by Khairy J. ( ex PM's nephew) and passed on to YTL. But the key opposition was not KTM but MAS and KLIA. The national airline and the international airport , and therefore the tourism sector , would be the greatest losers. Why ? At 90 mins to Spore, you can access Changi - the real gateway to the world ! It takes me 45mins to get to KLIA from KL ; why not another 45 mins to Changi !

As a business traveller, I love this project and I hope it gets online soon !

Traveled BKK to Chian Mai in April “ to see the country” Day train up, sleeper back, amazed at the amount of time spent waiting for the train coming the other way (at the dual track pass sections). Arrived late both ways, was tired and grumpy but would definitely do it again, especially at that price. :D

A great microcosm of Thai life, almost every compliant one reads here applies to the trains, along with unexpected pleasant encounters with Thai travelers - the staff were abrupt to rude. :)

Sure the trains were dirty and primitive by western standards, the diningcar was unbelievable, the dirty eat-in kitchen with loose garden furniture a real shock thankfully I was only after drinks, but the faults lay more with management planning and implementation, the staff do need a shake-up / wake-up, we had a cleaner onboard both ways!!

Agree with a previous post, the locals need a cheap means of mass transport and the tourists must pay western prices if they want western standards. Keep what you have and try to improve it because the experience with privatized rail here (Oz) is not good.

Current article in the Bangkok Post has the Governor Yutthana being quoted as saying that they were NOT privatizing the railway, merely setting up two companies to oversee it's assets and the Airport Link railway project, but that the union members misunderstood the situation.

I'm thinking that now is probably a good time to explain, transparently, the exact "plans" for these two private companies, to the union leaders and membership.

Bangkok Post article: (read down into the article to see the Governor's comments...)

Strike halts all SRT trains

By: BangkokPost.com

Published: 22/06/2009 at 10:21 AM

The labour union of the State Railway of Thailand (SRT) began a nationwide strike on Monday in protest against the state enterprise's restructuring plan.

Labour union president Sawit Kaewwan said all SRT employees had stopped working, halting all rail services across the country.

The employees oppose the SRT's plan to allow a private company to manage the operation, he said.

The labour union had previously submitted a proposal to the SRT board on ways to improve organisation and solve debt problems. The board's privatisation plan would lead to higher fares, he said.

Mr Sawit said the duration of the nationwide strike would depend on negotiations with the government and SRT governor Yutthana Thapcharoen.

"The length of our strike depends on how quickly the government and SRT management meet our demands," he said. "We disagree with the restructuring plan because it looks like a step towards privatisation."

Mr Yutthana said he was informed of the strike plan on Sunday night. He thought some groups of employees might not understand the purpose of the restructuring plan. He would meet Mr Sawit for talks on Tuesday at 3pm.

Negotiations were possible, but railway employees must not inconvenience the public, he said.

The governor insisted the restructuring plan would not mean the privatision of the state enterprise, which would set up two companies to oversee its assets and the Airport Link rail project.

Train travellers can call the SRT hotline at 1690 for assistance, he said.

Transport Minister Sohpon Zarum said free public bus services were being provided at the stations where trains had come to a halt in various provinces.

The minister said he had no problems with the labour union making its feelings known, but the members must abide by the procedures of the SRT.

He was willing to listen to the union's suggestions.

The SRT has lost money since it sinception in 1951. Its overall debt is now 69 billion baht.

So the railways will be privatized to 'improve organisation and solve debt problems.' What about the quality service and quality of trains? Will they be improved? I think it's a bit unfair for prices to be increased if the passengers aren't getting a better service. Why should they be expected to pay more for the same service when they know the cash will be paying off debts and any future profits going to share holders and fat cat managers ? ....Increase the fairs but improve the service...seems fair.

wishful thinking. As long as there are paying customers, the train heads will charge as much as they can get away with, while maintaining the coaches and equipment at minimal level.

So the railways will be privatized to 'improve organisation and solve debt problems.' What about the quality service and quality of trains? Will they be improved? I think it's a bit unfair for prices to be increased if the passengers aren't getting a better service. Why should they be expected to pay more for the same service when they know the cash will be paying off debts and any future profits going to share holders and fat cat managers ? ....Increase the fairs but improve the service...seems fair.

wishful thinking. As long as there are paying customers, the train heads will charge as much as they can get away with, while maintaining the coaches and equipment at minimal level.

If the rail system is 69 billion baht in debt and has been operating at a loss since 1951, I would say that at some point something has to give. There is no problem with governments using tax revenues to subsidize public transportation, it's done almost everwhere. The problem is that all too often the public ridership never thinks that they should bear additional cost as the years pass. Here in Los Angeles the "bus riders union" protests every fare increase proposed by the transit system. They expect to pay the same fare year after year while the costs increase and expect the public subsidity to increase, all the while the general public not using the system must cough up more for their transportation costs and be taxed more to support the public transportation. Having used the trains in Thailand it is a nice experience once but there is no doubt the system needs overhaul and new ideas. The largest problem lies no doubt in infrastructure costs needed to get things moving fast and efficiently. The single track system is a problem and slows down the transportation network. I am not clear from the original new story whether they want to bring in private management under contract or whether they want to privitize and sell off the train system. There is a difference. As for the union striking, we all know that they are only interested in their self preservation. The world has seen what endless increases in wages and benefits for workers have done to General Motors, Ford and Crysler. Unions have to be responsible also and can't be trying to bloat their ranks with extra non productive members.

Here we go again, restoring confidence into the tourism sector. Maybe they could be bothered to clean the trains while they all sit there going nowhere. Truthfully I'm surprised the train and its tracks are still functional as I have not seen one single improvement done to the railway system since I rode the the train the first time years ago, seems it gets dirtier every year.

Having just ventured off into Malaysia this year they have one of the most beautiful central railway stations in the world and are soon to open high speed rail all the way from Singapore to the border at Hat Yai in Thailand.

They should further extend the line for tourisom. would be great for alot of things

I've much appreciated the trains as a safer form of intercity transi than anything by van or bus. The majority of workers were efficient and friendly too.

This is true, but they are "safer" in a sense because they have to go so slow. They have to go slow because it is unsafe for them to go beyond a modest top speed. I've taken quite a few trips on the Northern Line between HL/DM and Phichit area stations. My biggest issues are that there are relatively few express trains and too many "milk runs." My biggest fear is getting jolted off my feet while taking a "#1." The toilet facilities are pretty rancid. I have to watch my intake prior to train travel to avoid the need for a "#2", which would surely be an unpleasant experience with all the jostling about, messy floors, etc.

Also, the trains don't run on time enough. I remember one of my last trips where it took almost 3 hours to get from Rangsit to HL (my bad, knew I shoulda gotten off at DM). On the other hand, it is the most affordable method of mass transit. I don't know what many country people would do if the rates were to go up. I'd certainly pay more for faster service and cleaner, more user-friendly facilities, but I don't think most passengers really care.

The public sector needs to step up here - and not abandon its responsibilites in a sale to a private concern.

Yes and no.

The track and rights of way are national assets, just like the main highways, airport, etc. I would like to see the nation invest in more and newer track. Most of the way on my Northern Line route is single track and trains often have to wait for another to pass. With dual tracks the traffic can run bi-directional without the slowdowns. But personally, I would like to see the nation's business end at maintaining the track, managing the signals, and leasing the right of way to private companies. The nation could of course lease track right of way for other things, such as telecom companies laying fiber, installing towers, etc.

On the other hand, there are few if any privately run personnel transport rail systems that run at a profit. Metro areas in Japan may be an exception, but I'm pretty sure that most passenger train systems in the US, Europe and elsewhere run at a loss and would not be viable without government subsidies. I'm not sure that Thailand would be any different. It's a tough call. The present system is archaic, slow, and at times smelly and uncomfortable, but it does work and it does meet the needs of current customers adequately. I'm not sure most of the typical passengers would care for newer, faster trains, if that meant a doubling or tripling of the current fare.

Near everyone knows the benefits & blessings of train travel. Investment in improving & extending the Thai network is blocked by the bus & road lobby at political level. That's not just a Thai phenomenon. The same kind of bent mafiosi do the same kind of thing in the UK & USA. As some Brits know, privatization of railways means minor improvements, no major investment, & fares doubled, trebled, & on. The road lobby also buys into railways in order to minimize competition with their polluting, slow, hazardous, cramped bus travel.

Farangs, please don't lecture the Thais. I reckon some of you oldies fell for this 'privatization equals efficiency' garbage when you voted for those scheisters Ron Reagan & Margaret Thathcher. You then grabbed your pile & moved to Thailand to escape the resulting dreck. Old Git Tom

BANGKOK: -- The labour union of the State Railway of Thailand (SRT) began a nationwide strike on Monday in protest against the state enterprise's restructuring plan.

Labour union president Sawit Kaewwan said all SRT employees had stopped working, halting all rail services across the country.

The employees oppose the SRT's plan to allow a private company to manage the operation, he said.

The labour union had previously submitted a proposal to the SRT board on ways to improve organisation and solve debt problems. The board's privatisation plan would lead to higher fares, he said.

Mr Sawit said the duration of the nationwide strike would depend on negotiations with the government and SRT governor Yutthana Thapcharoen.

[more...]

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-06-22

Good old boys !!!!!!!! at least they have the balls to stand and fight for what they believe in , unlike many of the yellow bellied do nothing but moan crew we have in the UK , and are scared of their own shadows ,, when the boss here now tells them to jump ,, they say >>> Yes sir how high ?? Good luck to them I hope they win the battle in what they believe in

Use of language, part 1. Abhisit in Singapore today talking about massive investment plans for rural infrastructure, trains, roads etc "so that all our communities are linked up". When asked about the effect of recent troubles on tourism he reassured us the tourists weren't targetted (but they sure as hel_l were affected, especially by the PAD)

Edited by ianh68

BANGKOK: -- The labour union of the State Railway of Thailand (SRT) began a nationwide strike on Monday in protest against the state enterprise's restructuring plan.

[more...]

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-06-22

I have to say that the SRT is need of modernisation, I don't know whether the restructuring plan includes modernising or not but what a difference between the mass transit rail systems in Bangkok and the National Railways, it's like being in two different worlds

So the railways will be privatized to 'improve organisation and solve debt problems.' What about the quality service and quality of trains? Will they be improved? I think it's a bit unfair for prices to be increased if the passengers aren't getting a better service. Why should they be expected to pay more for the same service when they know the cash will be paying off debts and any future profits going to share holders and fat cat managers ?

It seems train services do need improving generally across the country. It seems that it is actually quicker to go by bus between cities in Thailand than use the train. I'm not sure how the rest of Asia compares but that does seem a little bit unusual.

If we can have an efficient BTS/MRT service in the capital, why can't there be fast and efficient train services between the provinces?

Increase the fairs but improve the service...seems fair.

In S Korea, traveling by bus is excellent but train travel is delux. Koreans of course can afford either.

In China, travelling by train takes about twice the time of a bus which is much cheaper and also has toilet and tv.

Traveling around Thailand, I always preferred bus (certainly once the air conditioning was changed to temperate rather than arctic). However, the bus that bumped and shook its way from Pattaya to Bangkok was the gross exception. But then I hardly ever went to Pattaya (Phuket is my haven).

I'm generally for privatization, but in Thailand what does it matter which sector owns and operates the trains? Lots of statements to this thread make clear why. If the owners/operators are not corrupt they're inept. If they're not either, they're thieves. Public or private, however, they're reliably all three.

Train to resume services at 6pm

Trains services nationwide are ready to resume their services on Tuesday evening after train labour unions struck a deal with the government.

The agreement will end the strike which started on Monday, stranding thousands of passengers throughout the country.

Weesarak Kwanyuen, Chiang Mai station chief, said that the first train to be resumed following the agreement will be Chiang Mai - Bangkok that will leave Chiang Mai at 5.55pm, followed by the same route at 9pm.

The officials will disseminate the information to people that the train services will resume in the evening.

Meanwhile Nakhon Ratchasima train station chief Somsak Tienponkrang said all train services will be resumed at 6pm. The station was ready to provide service to passengers at tha time.

In Lampang, Panas Mongkhonrit, chief of Nakhon Lampang train station said that all the services, including tickets and trains will be ready at 6pm. The first train to reach the station will be one from Chiang Mai and is expected to arrive at the staton at about 6pm

The Nation

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/06/23...al_30105866.php

Any idea how long this strick may last, was planning on using the service in the next few days! I may as well put that idea to bed, my bet is it will turn in to a long winded affair like most other things in the land of not so many smiles these days?

As to privatisation, it might work in Thailand but I doubt it. The best railway systems in the world are state-run: look at France, look at Switzerland, look at Japan.

Sorry to be pedantic but Japan Railway was privatised in 1987 due to huge debts.