Free Tourist Visas Between June 25, 2009 And March 2010

Free tourist visas between June 25, 2009 and March 2010

BANGKOK (thaivisa.com): -- Continuing its efforts to expedite the revival of the Thai travel and tourism industry, the Royal Thai government has agreed to exempt the fee for tourist visa applications, effective 25 June 2009 to March 2010.

All foreigners who apply for Tourist Visa at the Royal Thai Embassies and the Royal Thai Consulates-General worldwide will be exempted from tourist visa fee from 25 June 2009 to March B.E.2553 (2010).

Such arrangement is for Tourist Visa single entry only.

-- Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Bangkok 2009-06-24

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't see the point of this.

Do they seriously think that by issuing free tourist visas it is going to increase the number of tourists coming to Thailand?

Firstly, how would any potential tourists even know that the visa was free until they went to apply for one. It's not as though the news of this wonderful freebie is going to be plastered all over the press, radio and TV.

And secondly, once they goe to apply for said visa, they have probably already booked their holiday or their flight, so the fact that it is free will no no way influence their decision to come here.

If this is the best idea they can come with to boost tourism, then they are in for a lean time in the coming months.

What kind of deluded idiots think that a free visa is the answer to the revival of the tourist industry? The complete lack of thought process in government here never ceases to amaze me.

I would be interested to know how effective the previous 'free visa' strategy was before... any figures out there?

WOW! What an Idea! LOL!

What kind of deluded idiots think that a free visa is the answer to the revival of the tourist industry? The complete lack of thought process in government here never ceases to amaze me.

I would be interested to know how effective the previous 'free visa' strategy was before... any figures out there?

How long exactly is a "tourist visa" 30 days 60 days??? I usually get a Non O but I only ever stay 60-90 days per time so it may be worth remembering this for my next trip.

Tourist visa are good for an entry of 60 days that can be extended at immigration for 30 days.

A buddy received a free TV in Manila during the last "Free Visa" offer, but he said at first they tried to charge him. Maybe staff confussion about the rules or some corruption going on. Anyway, its a positive move on behalf of Thailand.

Wonder if we farangs will receive discounts on som tom as well?!? :)

I don't think anyone thinks it will revive the tourist industry, or that there is any single action that will do so. It might help though, just a little bit. At least there is someone with some power actually trying to do something. If a lot more people try and do something positive too, perhaps it will revive?

I've just heard it on the BBC News.

There are queues ten miles long outside the Thai Consulate in London.

Apparently there was a mad scramble involving thousands of people, all desperate to get their free visas before the consulate runs out of rubber stamp ink.

Major employers in London are complaining that their offices are unmanned as the stampede for visas reches crisis proportions.

Riots and mayhem on the streets are feared.

The Home Secretary is considering mobilising the Home Guard to restore order to the capital

I would have thought that most of the tourist types they are trying to attract, the ones that might stay in a top notch hotel and actually spend some serious money, wouldn't need a tourist visa anyway.

Edited by theoldgit

Most genuine tourists from western countries don't need to get a visa for Thailand in advance anyway, as they qualify for the already completely free 30 day stay visa on arrival programme! And a 30 day stay is plenty long enough for most tourists vacation.

Sadly, don't feel this initiative is really going to help too much........

I really don't see the point of this.

Do they seriously think that by issuing free tourist visas it is going to increase the number of tourists coming to Thailand?

Firstly, how would any potential tourists even know that the visa was free until they went to apply for one. It's not as though the news of this wonderful freebie is going to be plastered all over the press, radio and TV.

And secondly, once they goe to apply for said visa, they have probably already booked their holiday or their flight, so the fact that it is free will no no way influence their decision to come here.

If this is the best idea they can come with to boost tourism, then they are in for a lean time in the coming months.

'PONG', you're missing the 'PING' !

You sign off with:

“Those who are free of resentful thoughts surely find peace.”

— Buddha

Better start practising what you're preaching . . . . or, from now on be known as Moby-DICK.

Perhaps look at this free-visa-effort as something POSITIVE; and maybe it infers that the Thai Government is beginning to wake-up a bit to the needs of the country ?? Give them a chance; obviously your keepers gave you (more than) one ?!?

JGK/Pattaya

Edited by jaapfries

What is particularly ironic is that many (most?) of the graduates of Thai business schools study marketing. Does the concept of 'know your customer' have any meaning to these folks at all. What this really demonstrates is how little the management of Thai Tourism understands it's customers. I guess they have their jobs because of who they know and competence doesn't enter into it.

Obviously....

Watch out for the stampede !!!

Wow how completely meaningless since most people secure a tourist visa upon arrival without charge!

This is a 60 day tourist visa that can be extended for 30 days easily-total 90 days-with 2 entries 180 days. The visa on arrival is only 30 days with a 15 day extension

I believe that those who don't agree with the freebie do not like the fact that we will attract a lot of tourists and make previous expats not be able to stand out of the crowd.It Cha la si :D

I think this juicy little comment deserves its own thread.

Don't worry 'realbad' girl. Most of us long time thai supporting farangs won't be bumping into you at Kao Sahn or Q-Bar/ BedSupper anyway.

There will be plenty of new boys around to keep you amused, and to throw a little farang buck over a tiny, but needy percent of the population.

:)

Edited by mrpositive

Does anyone know if this will apply to Non-Imm O multi-entry visas from, say, Birmingham UK?

Usually about ninety quid a pop.

I didn't bother to renew my last one and have been coming and going on 30-day satmps without comment.

If not, it's a trivial concession: as someone else said, hardly anyone who is a genuine 'tourist' needs the ordinary tourist visa anyway. They just come in on the 30-day.

I would have thought that most of the tourist types they are trying to attract, the ones that might stay in a top notch hotel and actually spend some serious money, wouldn't need a tourist visa anyway.

yeah. quite how the thai government thinks that this initiative is going to lead to a jump in the number of couples and families spending their two week holidays on phuket or samui is a source of bafflement.