Free Tourist Visas Between June 25, 2009 And March 2010

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Free tourist visas between June 25, 2009 and March 2010

BANGKOK (thaivisa.com): -- Continuing its efforts to expedite the revival of the Thai travel and tourism industry, the Royal Thai government has agreed to exempt the fee for tourist visa applications, effective 25 June 2009 to March 2010.

All foreigners who apply for Tourist Visa at the Royal Thai Embassies and the Royal Thai Consulates-General worldwide will be exempted from tourist visa fee from 25 June 2009 to March B.E.2553 (2010).

Such arrangement is for Tourist Visa single entry only.

-- Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Bangkok 2009-06-24

I payed for visa to come Thailand 25th June till 10th Aug bet they don't do refunds. £38 pounds thats day and good1 at that lol...

Think about it! They are not giving anything away free.The cost of the visa only really covered the cost or part cost of employing the staff at consulates.If no one comes here they are not giving anything away.As for the post that asked if giving away visa's free these last few months helped tourism I say have a look around you..I see no ships!

Better they look after the farangs that are here already i.e. lower the required amounts to get marriage and retirement visas.Also do not have a age limit on retirement visas.many people can give up work or have given up work before they hit 50.

TIT I suppose...lol

Another point that the TAT do not seem to understand, flights to here from our home countrys are the cheapest they have ever been in real terms and no one is comming! Free visas a joke better close the borders so no one can get out!

No axe to grind I have a retirement visa and still some brain cells!!!lol

Don't understand the fuss. I live in Seychelles. There no visitor requires a visa. Immigration stamp your passpor ton arrival. 30 day stay. Extendable for any and all nationality. Requirement on arrival is a passport and a return air ticket. Has been like that since I can remember. Why can't the rest of the world be the same. :)

Think about it! They are not giving anything away free.The cost of the visa only really covered the cost or part cost of employing the staff at consulates.If no one comes here they are not giving anything away.As for the post that asked if giving away visa's free these last few months helped tourism I say have a look around you..I see no ships!

Better they look after the farangs that are here already i.e. lower the required amounts to get marriage and retirement visas.Also do not have a age limit on retirement visas.many people can give up work or have given up work before they hit 50.

TIT I suppose...lol

Another point that the TAT do not seem to understand, flights to here from our home countrys are the cheapest they have ever been in real terms and no one is comming! Free visas a joke better close the borders so no one can get out!

No axe to grind I have a retirement visa and still some brain cells!!!lol

Hey Bro aint this fun,good to see you on here,,retired at 35 6?good show,see ya soon,,yeah yu still wants her condo there regardless LOL

c

Watch out for the stampede !!!

Wow how completely meaningless since most people secure a tourist visa upon arrival without charge!

This is a 60 day tourist visa that can be extended for 30 days easily-total 90 days-with 2 entries 180 days. The visa on arrival is only 30 days with a 15 day extension

Would the 15 day extension cost you 1,900 Baht or would that be waived too ?

Thanks.

Why not just grant 60/90 days upon arrival?

It's less bureaucracy and a lot more attractive to tourists (and expats).

One of the major reasons for many expat farangs to leave Thailand and relocate, is the necessity of going on long and expensive visa-runs

for the sole purpose of getting just another stupid stamp in their passports.

Naturally the Thai authorities wants to keep some degree of control with foreigners staying in the country, but there has got be be a better way.

Jeez, they just cant win can they? They do nothing, people complain, they do something people complain. Visiting the board here is sometimes listening to Groucho Marx classic 'I'm against it'.

Clearly having free tourist visas is absolutely better than having to pay for them, give 'em some credit for God's sake.

What kind of deluded idiots think that a free visa is the answer to the revival of the tourist industry? The complete lack of thought process in government here never ceases to amaze me.

I would be interested to know how effective the previous 'free visa' strategy was before... any figures out there?

are you interested in travel or interested in how many visitors increase last free entry visa time . if government is giving free visa entry that good others may be not good for you. because u like to know how many visitors increased in last free entry time.

Jeez, they just cant win can they? They do nothing, people complain, they do something people complain. Visiting the board here is sometimes listening to Groucho Marx classic 'I'm against it'.

Clearly having free tourist visas is absolutely better than having to pay for them, give 'em some credit for God's sake.

Exactly.

It was not so long ago that people here where slagging them off for clamping down on border runs. Oh well.

Edited by Moonrakers

well ,thai visa has always been about showing up the 'wolf in sheeps clothing' which it is continueing to do so well here,,,thailand will get credit when they deserve it ,which they dont here.

This is like giving kids candy to quiet them down,,what about tomorrow ,,candy don't work long term.itl take an intelligent plan to get it together,,any ideas?long term stuff,,comon you can do it

hey DW whats up!!!it musta been a hot season ove there ,,yikes

Watch out for the stampede !!!

Wow how completely meaningless since most people secure a tourist visa upon arrival without charge!

This is a 60 day tourist visa that can be extended for 30 days easily-total 90 days-with 2 entries 180 days. The visa on arrival is only 30 days with a 15 day extension

Would the 15 day extension cost you 1,900 Baht or would that be waived too ?

Thanks.

All extensions will cost 1,900 Baht.

How long exactly is a "tourist visa" 30 days 60 days??? I usually get a Non O but I only ever stay 60-90 days per time so it may be worth remembering this for my next trip.

60 days methinks?

What kind of deluded idiots think that a free visa is the answer to the revival of the tourist industry? The complete lack of thought process in government here never ceases to amaze me.

I would be interested to know how effective the previous 'free visa' strategy was before... any figures out there?

It is exactly this kind of unnecessary calling Thai officials using this kind of language that makes expats look so bad. You can certainly get your point across with out calling Thai officials "deluded idiots." If you read read the interview with Thai Visa just recently, you would understand that Thai officials do monitor what is being said on this webpage.

Where are the Thai Visa monitors that allow this name calling against the people that have to run THEIR country. Contuining this will only contribute to TV's unpopularity with some. I said, "some."

I believe Thais should be able to run their country and make regulations any way they want, even if we don't like them.

How long exactly is a "tourist visa" 30 days 60 days??? I usually get a Non O but I only ever stay 60-90 days per time so it may be worth remembering this for my next trip.

60 days methinks?

60 days and can be extended for a further 30 days for 1,900 Baht.

I really don't see the point of this.

Do they seriously think that by issuing free tourist visas it is going to increase the number of tourists coming to Thailand?

Firstly, how would any potential tourists even know that the visa was free until they went to apply for one. It's not as though the news of this wonderful freebie is going to be plastered all over the press, radio and TV.

And secondly, once they goe to apply for said visa, they have probably already booked their holiday or their flight, so the fact that it is free will no no way influence their decision to come here.

If this is the best idea they can come with to boost tourism, then they are in for a lean time in the coming months.

Danger Danger the pessimists are here. Ever heard of word of mouth?

A lot of travelers going to Thailand for the first time go because of word of mouth from there friends. People would be inclined to believe their friends before they listen to the media. And a lot of people would ignore what the media says anyway. Including myself and others I know. Also those going for the second time + know what Thailand is about anyway

Why do so many of you guys need to be so pessimistic?

BANGKOK (thaivisa.com): -- Continuing its efforts to expedite the revival of the Thai travel and tourism industry, the Royal Thai government has agreed to exempt the fee for tourist visa applications, effective 25 June 2009 to March 2010.

All foreigners who apply for Tourist Visa at the Royal Thai Embassies and the Royal Thai Consulates-General worldwide will be exempted from tourist visa fee from 25 June 2009 to March B.E.2553 (2010).

George - you must sometimes wonder why you bother, when even little bits of good news are whined or bitched about here, eh?

Human Beans, who needs them!

kind rgdz,

Brewsta.

A meaningless operation. Tourists are not determined from going somewhere for a fistful of dollars. Tourists do not like the hassle. They should do like many other Asean countries do, NO visas at all. Three month stay permitted. But than again, Thailand's elite is only on the surface interested in the economy. The rich are too rich anyhow and their motto is: Spend a lot, but do not stay too long.

As long as the courts are speaking wrong instead or right and are used as a political tool instead of a tool to bring justice to the people, nothing will change and foreigners will in a matter of fact not really welcome.

Tourist visa are good for an entry of 60 days that can be extended at immigration for 30 days.

Last time I went to the Thai embasy March 2009 here in Brisbane Australia they would not issue a double entry visa only 60 days or 30 days single entry. I was reminded by them and you also need to keep in mind that should you go outside of thailand during the 30 days or 60 days then you have 15 days only when you come back in unless you travelled by air then you get 30 days, your 60 days is gone. The 12 month O visa with 60-90 days renewal periods is exempt the 15 day rule; but of course you don't get that 12 month for free; so the unsuspecting tourist who has planned his/her itinery and is looking forward to coming to Thailand loking around and then travelling to say laos, or burma or vietnam leaving from Thailand will be in for quite a supprise should they be planning to come back in to Thailand

ThaiItAgain

Edited by ThaiItAgain

I really don't see the point of this.

Do they seriously think that by issuing free tourist visas it is going to increase the number of tourists coming to Thailand?

Firstly, how would any potential tourists even know that the visa was free until they went to apply for one. It's not as though the news of this wonderful freebie is going to be plastered all over the press, radio and TV.

And secondly, once they goe to apply for said visa, they have probably already booked their holiday or their flight, so the fact that it is free will no no way influence their decision to come here.

If this is the best idea they can come with to boost tourism, then they are in for a lean time in the coming months.

To add: it is single entry. Most tourists get 1 month on entry, so they need the Visa only if they stay longer than 1 month. If you stay longer than 1 month you most probable want to travel a bit more, like Malaysia, Ankor Wat, Laos etc etc.....

So the single entry Visa doesn't help at all......seems the government is complete brain dead.

It is exactly this kind of unnecessary calling Thai officials using this kind of language that makes expats look so bad. You can certainly get your point across with out calling Thai officials "deluded idiots." If you read read the interview with Thai Visa just recently, you would understand that Thai officials do monitor what is being said on this webpage.

Where are the Thai Visa monitors that allow this name calling against the people that have to run THEIR country. Contuining this will only contribute to TV's unpopularity with some. I said, "some."

I believe Thais should be able to run their country and make regulations any way they want, even if we don't like them.

I fully agree with threedot......

Amazing the number of people on this thread now!

1075 User(s) are reading this topic (829 Guests and 5 Anonymous Users)

........and amazing how much negative vitriolic crap is being posted.

OK so it may not have much of an effect, but it is a positive move not a negative one. One might think from the majority of posts that they had just committed some gross misdeed. Very few are suggesting what else they should do.

For the tourist who comes here on the 30 day exemption and then runs into the 15 day border runs, surely this is helpful? I notice a lot of the criticism is coming from long stayers on whom this has little no direct effect. Why are you so incensed? Is it that you resent the fact that this might help such tourists of whom you disapprove? You sound so angry. Have you made yourselves prisoners here?

I'm just puzzled as to why so many long stayers are pouncing on this. Any answers?

BTW I'm on a retirement extension so it doesn't affect me either.

I have been looking around the web but can not find anything that back up this story. I looked at the embassies webpage, The Minister of Forreign Affairs webpage and different newspaper aswell but nothing.

Is there a source to this somewhere?

do you not though think that it is somewhat frustrating and ultimately futile to have spent however many man-hours of TAT management time to come up with this ruling which actually gains thailand eff all?

Amazing the number of people on this thread now!

1075 User(s) are reading this topic (829 Guests and 5 Anonymous Users)

........and amazing how much negative vitriolic crap is being posted.

OK so it may not have much of an effect, but it is a positive move not a negative one. One might think from the majority of posts that they had just committed some gross misdeed. Very few are suggesting what else they should do.

For the tourist who comes here on the 30 day exemption and then runs into the 15 day border runs, surely this is helpful? I notice a lot of the criticism is coming from long stayers on whom this has little no direct effect. Why are you so incensed? Is it that you resent the fact that this might help such tourists of whom you disapprove? You sound so angry. Have you made yourselves prisoners here?

I'm just puzzled as to why so many long stayers are pouncing on this. Any answers?

BTW I'm on a retirement extension so it doesn't affect me either.

in what way is it positive though? it's only a boon to backpackers who are planning on spending a couple of months in the kingdom or residents who already live here on tourist visas and do visa runs. it won't encourage any new tourism is the point.