Free Tourist Visas Between June 25, 2009 And March 2010

I guess they did not engage brain before putting mouth into gear on this. :D

Why not visa on arrival 90day. :D

That way they relive the Thai Embassies staff from all the silly nonessential paper work that never gets processed anyway and is only stacked in boxes for Yeeeeaaaarrrrsss :)

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that those who don't agree with the freebie do not like the fact that we will attract a lot of tourists and make previous expats not be able to stand out of the crowd.It Cha la si :D

I think this juicy little comment deserves its own thread.

Don't worry 'realbad' girl. Most of us long time thai supporting farangs won't be bumping into you at Kao Sahn or Q-Bar/ BedSupper anyway.

There will be plenty of new boys around to keep you amused, and to throw a little farang buck over a tiny, but needy percent of the population.

:)

Long time Thai supporting? What pray are you supporting exactly?

Most genuine tourists from western countries don't need to get a visa for Thailand in advance anyway, as they qualify for the already completely free 30 day stay visa on arrival programme! And a 30 day stay is plenty long enough for most tourists vacation.

Sadly, don't feel this initiative is really going to help too much........

Yeah most europeans get 30 days on arrival,30 days are more than enough,guess most tourists stay 2 or 3 weeks,so it won't help much!!!

Bugger, just paid 1750 Rupees for one in Chennai :)

I travel on friday so it's too late for me anyway.

are u planning to stay more then 15 days . why u take visa from chennai.. just pack bag and go to Visa on arival .. that good . but friend u lost 1750* ur friends who is alos with u. i know no one never travel alone in bangkok

Yeah, we were coming at Christmas anyway and didn't know about this till the mail from George....!

Its great that it'll save us money now but, having had no idea, makes no difference at all really.

redrus

How long exactly is a "tourist visa" 30 days 60 days??? I usually get a Non O but I only ever stay 60-90 days per time so it may be worth remembering this for my next trip.

Tourist visa are good for an entry of 60 days that can be extended at immigration for 30 days.

Thanks

Maybe they could spend time in a national education program educating people to realize that they you and I are not "fruit to be peeled," (farang), but rather

1. ชาวต่างชาติ

chaao dtàang châat foreigner ; alien

2. ต่างแดน

dtàang daen <li> exotic ; alien ; foreign ; remote <li> foreigner ; alien ; immigrant ; non-native

Perhaps it would help to stop treating us as though we are victims of the thai, regardless of what they do to us.

And please, don't tell me "farang" means foreigner. It has never meant foreigner, and don't tell me it comes from farang set = country of france, we are not a country, and dont' tell me it means caucasian because the mythical land of caucasus included parts of China, where a certain American's mother was born, and don't tell me it means people from America as they will kill you for applying it universally.

farang = fruit to be peeled, and that is all it means in their minds.

Try calling a person from the mountain "kohn paa" and see what happens.

cecco

I really don't see the point of this.

Do they seriously think that by issuing free tourist visas it is going to increase the number of tourists coming to Thailand?

Firstly, how would any potential tourists even know that the visa was free until they went to apply for one. It's not as though the news of this wonderful freebie is going to be plastered all over the press, radio and TV.

And secondly, once they goe to apply for said visa, they have probably already booked their holiday or their flight, so the fact that it is free will no no way influence their decision to come here.

If this is the best idea they can come with to boost tourism, then they are in for a lean time in the coming months.

What kind of deluded idiots think that a free visa is the answer to the revival of the tourist industry? The complete lack of thought process in government here never ceases to amaze me.

I would be interested to know how effective the previous 'free visa' strategy was before... any figures out there?

watch out, you'll be offending those TV members who think Thailand should race to the bottom of the barrel in terms of visa issuance, and who think, this is a great idea (not me by the way).

how about cleaning the beaches, stop stuffing the gulf with sewerage, the beaches in Pattaya and Jomtien are filthy - I wouldn't even let my dog swim in there. if they want family tourists then get cleaning this shit hole up. or if it is intended for the 2 week sex trade then fine - you don't need a clean beach to get laid. have you seen the filth left behind by the red shirt meeting in Pattaya - its disgusting

It will be much better and fair to forbid the dual pricing.

Like ferangs pay more for anything like gym, food, taxi and disco.

I never understand this way of dealing with ferang.

There are very rich Thai people who are paying normal prices,

so why ferang always are charged too much.

TAK

TAT stats - Thailand gets around 1M Chinese Tourists - spending 28B Baht, avg 6.46 days. Not sure how current the data is.

China inbound has fallen big time - it is no coincidence that the PM is on a trip to China as this announcement gets released.

India accounts for much less ~600K tourists, but another target growth market - many cities in India are under 4hrs flying time. But again, sizeable spend.

These are the 2 countries where this announcement will get people to take notice - esp. when Travel agents put packages together for Corporates, Incentive groups, first time overseas travellers etc.

Of course, the last time they spent a lot of money on a similar campaign it was all for nought - because of the live images of trouble in BKK. I believe those ad campaigns were in the tens of millions spent, the value of which was erased in some cases before the TAT officers could come back.

In that sense, this visa waiver for China, India etc... is probably a smarter spend. More of a foregone revenue issue than money spent.

Fully agree - that for those who fly in from Visa Waiver countries, this won't make any difference - it'd be fares, f/x rates and some level of stability.

If the discussion is more about what they should be doing for Visa Waiver countries (eg. Australia, EU, Japan etc) .... that's a new thread in itself.

Edited by tpkhk

Total muppets...do something for the long stay/expat foriegner that will spend, spend, spend .......lost count how many guys I know that have or are going to either Malaysia or Cambodia.....just to say, most of those guys have pensions or income of at least 90,000 Baht a month....million Baht a year, multiply that by the thousands that are leaving......comes to a fair old sum......

TV's self-cultivated core majority of grumpy Thailand-bashers have once again spoken and the nay's have it- again/predictably.

Free tourist visas? No harm in that, all for it, well done. :)

Edited by baht&sold

alternatively, do away with visas altogether if you really want to make it easy for tourists to come here. they don't need them for greece, spain, turkey or the majority of other summer beach destinations.

Free tourist visas between June 25, 2009 and March 2010

BANGKOK (thaivisa.com): -- Continuing its efforts to expedite the revival of the Thai travel and tourism industry, the Royal Thai government has agreed to exempt the fee for tourist visa applications, effective 25 June 2009 to March 2010.

All foreigners who apply for Tourist Visa at the Royal Thai Embassies and the Royal Thai Consulates-General worldwide will be exempted from tourist visa fee from 25 June 2009 to March B.E.2553 (2010).

Such arrangement is for Tourist Visa single entry only.

-- Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Bangkok 2009-06-24

Is it allowed to shed my serious doubts about this?

Most tourist coming over from Europe, and I guess from most other destinations, will stay here for maybe 2-3 weeks, max.

No visa needed!

They can stay here for 15/30/60 days without any visa application.

Maybe it is time for the Thai Government to start thinking different.

Maybe, just maybe, might it be possible to look upon the longer staying people not as "vermin" but as potential supporters of tourism?

If they talk to friends and family abroad in a negative way, one can be rather certain that part of the negative vibrations will remain with the potential visitor?

On the other hand, positive vibes can have a positive influence.

And, lately, the longer staying crowd does not really have much reason to emit positive vibrations.

Talking to a lot of other expats or looking in Thai Visa does not give one the idea of radiant vibrations.

Why not just give every tourist 60 days free when arriving at the airport? When I go to Malaysia I get 90 days free on arrival. This would make it easier on the Thai embassy staff too! They could also go back to the free 30 days for border runs but put a limit on that type of arrival if they still want some control over long term expats.

And for once they do some thing good after all the measures they take to scare the tourists out of Thai, only the problem lay deeper then only free visa to solve cause think not seen the last of red and yellow shirts blocking roads and airports and with economic crisis in prospect we will see more strikes for better work and salary, hotel managers that trying to keep up the profit trough higher the price of bedrooms cause this Thai they do the Thai way all the time.

But good we have to except the way it go.

Will be seeing where they will give two entries for free Cambodia or Laos.

So waiting for the day they have mixed the yellow and red and all Thai think green.

:)

Most genuine tourists from western countries don't need to get a visa for Thailand in advance anyway, as they qualify for the already completely free 30 day stay visa on arrival programme! And a 30 day stay is plenty long enough for most tourists vacation.

Sadly, don't feel this initiative is really going to help too much........

When the new rules were announced regarding 15 day exemption stamps, I made the point that it wouldn't affect the majority of tourists for the reason you mention above - they come in on 30 day stamps and don't stay that long. I was told that was rubbish and there are plenty of people coming for longer stays. Now they are offering free 60 day visas, apparently that's of no use to anybody as nobody stays that long. Pretty hard crowd to please on here... Edited by inthepink

I really don't see the point of this.

Do they seriously think that by issuing free tourist visas it is going to increase the number of tourists coming to Thailand?

Firstly, how would any potential tourists even know that the visa was free until they went to apply for one. It's not as though the news of this wonderful freebie is going to be plastered all over the press, radio and TV.

And secondly, once they goe to apply for said visa, they have probably already booked their holiday or their flight, so the fact that it is free will no no way influence their decision to come here.

If this is the best idea they can come with to boost tourism, then they are in for a lean time in the coming months.

Well, let me give my 2 cents worth then; I know that my buddy, that recently left LOS, that I just told about it, thought it was a nice gesture. As do I. Just when I was planning to spend most of the next 6-12 months in Malaysia, China, PH and other countries in the region because I was tired of paying for a visa to leave this country (actually to enter others), just to have to pay again to come back to the SOS in the LOS. It just may be enough that I won't spend as much time gone. This means that I will likely be here spending money, rather than in another country. I'll still still go, but probably not with the intent to stay gone for long extended periods of time. I wish they would hand out non-imm visa's for free, but that isn't likely to happen anytime soon.

Regarding your second comment; I don't know about you, but I would never buy a ticket to anywhere before I had a visa if they didn't at least provide a visa/stamp on arrival. I can imagine if I were a typical tourist and there were a choice of destinations, that I would be inclined to choose someplace that provided a free visa. Which is actually how I first came to Thailand (30 day stamps)

3 of my 4 main friends have left LOS, to go to other countries or home based on the multiple issues they faced here. I would think based on that that part of providing the free tourist visa is a token to keep some of those that are perpetual tourists here; a) spending money here :) from leaving amidst all the issues causing some of us to jump ship. I myself am already renting on a month to month now so I can leave anytime I want. It's also a motivator in many other current/near future decisions I'm making. So maybe their purpose is also to keep people here. As well, I doubt that this is their only/best idea. At least I hope not.

A bit of the bigger picture there. I'm sure other see this and other sides of the issue as well.

That's my 2 pennies worth.

Edited by johnefallis

I guess they did not engage brain before putting mouth into gear on this. :D

Why not visa on arrival 90day. :D

That way they relive the Thai Embassies staff from all the silly nonessential paper work that never gets processed anyway and is only stacked in boxes for Yeeeeaaaarrrrsss :)

Spot on post ! have said this before myself. Trouble is the Thai immergration want to be the police deciding how long tourists can stay by keeping visiting time to Thailand down to a month on entry or 2 months with a visa(or 2 weeks over the border) Why because they think farangs are working! Joke! They said it not me...180 days on arrival( permission to stay) then you have to leave by plane after 180 days unless you leave by a border before and don't come back in. .In the meantime if you go for a trip over any border you are given reentry up to the 180 days..Too simple i know. But you are thinking what the police are doing yes they can kick out the trouble makers and catch yes the few who are pulling pints in the bars instead of taking back handers..I know as I said too simple..I would think that travel agents would not recommend people to come to Thailand because of the problems before and don't want anyone else comming back after being stuck here and then giving them some verbal...Also in my experience if you need a visa for a country before you go that can be hassle which people who are busy do not need or want to bother with..I.E. having to send passports away recorded delivery worrying you might not see them again..Not everyone lives next door to a thai consulate.

More baht to the pound please too.Devalue now...before it freefalls..

TV's self-cultivated core majority of grumpy Thailand-bashers have once again spoken and the nay's have it- again/predictably.

Don't lump everyone (majority) as being Thailand bashers! Most people just think this just does not address the real issues.

The free visa's have been available for a long time now .So look out side..I see no ships...

It does no harm but then why not give 180 days on arrival.See my previous post..this does not effect me but come on if you have never been here before would you come? Flights are the cheapest they have ever been in real terms and no one is coming.

No axe to grind but maybe read some of the posts in a different light.The majority of people love it here but see the Thais shooting themself in the foot time and time again.. May the baht flop by The bank of Thailands intervention before it dives! More baht to the buck(phrase I'am english)

Don't lump everyone (majority) as being Thailand bashers! Most people just think this just does not address the real issues.

The free visa's have been available for a long time now .So look out side..I see no ships...

It does no harm but then why not give 180 days on arrival.See my previous post..this does not effect me but come on if you have never been here before would you come? Flights are the cheapest they have ever been in real terms and no one is coming.

No axe to grind but maybe read some of the posts in a different light.The majority of people love it here but see the Thais shooting themself in the foot time and time again.. May the baht flop by The bank of Thailands intervention before it dives! More baht to the buck(phrase I'am english)

true this, i'm certainly not thailand bashing in this thread as i love the place, but there's a sensible debate to be had about the country's visa policy. it's one of the major things which puts people off travelling to any country, and thailand could really give its tourism sector a boost by doing away with it altogether. the revenues raised in visa fees could easily be made up elsewhere. give people an incentive to spend more time in thailand and they'd spend more time here. at present the visa regulations are nothing but restrictive and negative.

BANGKOK (thaivisa.com): -- Continuing its efforts to expedite the revival of the Thai travel and tourism industry, the Royal Thai government has agreed to exempt the fee for tourist visa applications, effective 25 June 2009 to March 2010.

All foreigners who apply for Tourist Visa at the Royal Thai Embassies and the Royal Thai Consulates-General worldwide will be exempted from tourist visa fee from 25 June 2009 to March B.E.2553 (2010).

Does this offer include breakfast?

anyone know what will happen with double entry? this applies to single, but what if want double? pay for one or pay for 2?

It'd be up to the Thai Mission concerned.

truei got 2x 60 days for free in lao on 19th may,as long as you cross x2 next to tourist visa you should be ok.

Great Idea!!!

Maybe they could spend time in a national education program educating people to realize that they you and I are not "fruit to be peeled," (farang), but rather

1. ชาวต่างชาติ

chaao dtàang châat foreigner ; alien

2. ต่างแดน

dtàang daen <li> exotic ; alien ; foreign ; remote <li> foreigner ; alien ; immigrant ; non-native

Perhaps it would help to stop treating us as though we are victims of the thai, regardless of what they do to us.

And please, don't tell me "farang" means foreigner. It has never meant foreigner, and don't tell me it comes from farang set = country of france, we are not a country, and dont' tell me it means caucasian because the mythical land of caucasus included parts of China, where a certain American's mother was born, and don't tell me it means people from America as they will kill you for applying it universally.

farang = fruit to be peeled, and that is all it means in their minds.

Try calling a person from the mountain "kohn paa" and see what happens.

cecco

The other two options you have quoted for foreigner are overly formal for everyday conversation. It may not sound politically correct to us wonderfully advanced Westerners, but farang is the word they use to describe Westerners and they don't consider it to be calling us fruit (IMO). Looking at some of the treatment over the years of ethnic minorities in more developed countries, I think it pales into insignificance really.

Edited by inthepink

Hmmm...

If they really wants to help tourism industry, why doesn't they extend "visa on arrival" to 60 days or 90 days, so people don't need to apply for visa for "simple" tourism purpose?

Also recently they reduced from 30 days to 15 days for land visa-run entry, and it is contradicted with this kind of message, I think.

I guess it's another "this is thailand" thing?