Free Tourist Visas Between June 25, 2009 And March 2010

I wish the Thai government would announce that they are going to absolutely nothing about visas for 5 years. At least then all the TV.com whingers would get bored and give up on the subject (although presumably they would move onto something else).

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not just give every tourist 60 days free when arriving at the airport? When I go to Malaysia I get 90 days free on arrival. ...

And when I go to Malaysia, even just for the weekend, I get a ten year stay stamped in my passport.

Nothing special, it's just that I applied for the MM2H visa - no big deal - no more difficult to get than a one-year visa for Thailand.

Plus I can (and have) bought freehold property in my own name, imported a car tax-free, there's no CGT, no IHT, no tax on remitted funds, instant hard currency and MYR accounts, money in and out ot the country without comment or delay, reasonable taxis, few rip-offs, varied food, beautiful English spoken, immigration officers who smile and treat you with humour and respect (quick too), and so on and on, almost ad nauseum.

Thailand, you need to wake up. As The Jam said during my formative years: This is the modern world. A global economy with easy, cheap travel. The days of petty, parochial, xenophobic rules are fading.

So now a visa which few poeple want is free. OK, as others have said, it's better than nothing, and I suppose one shouldn't whinge just for the pure bloody pleasure of it (err .... why not? :) ), but really? How much better than nothing is it?

ps One 'downside' of Malaysia is there's no cheap pussy hanging out on every streeet corner. I offer no opinion, but understand this might be a disincentive to some :D

Wonder if this is valid for Visa on Arrival too? Regards the benefits- I think it helps! An average Indian family of 4 ends up paying 4k on Visa's alone- they could probably get a extra night in Thailand on that.

Last time they were free it also included Visas on Arrival.

Free tourist visas between June 25, 2009 and March 2010

BANGKOK (thaivisa.com): -- Continuing its efforts to expedite the revival of the Thai travel and tourism industry, the Royal Thai government has agreed to exempt the fee for tourist visa applications, effective 25 June 2009 to March 2010.

All foreigners who apply for Tourist Visa at the Royal Thai Embassies and the Royal Thai Consulates-General worldwide will be exempted from tourist visa fee from 25 June 2009 to March B.E.2553 (2010).

Such arrangement is for Tourist Visa single entry only.

-- Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Bangkok 2009-06-24

To all Tourist visa purchasers:

Be aware that this decision will mean that all Honourary Consulates-General around the world will be closed down. Diplomatic posts (in Canada, this is the Consulate-General in Vancouver and the Embassy in Ottawa only) get paid a salary and it doesn't matter how many or how few Tourist visas are sold, this does not affect their salaries. Honourary Consulates-General, on the other hand, function only on the money they bring in by selling visas - both Tourist and Non-Immigrant. There are over 450 Honourary Consulates-General around the world and all will be affected - probably to the point of having to close their doors. Once these Honourary Consulates-General are closed, the only place to obtain a visa (and even if they are free, you still need to get one) are the Diplomatic Posts in your country. Also, this means that, unless you live in the same city as a Diplomatic Post, you must courier your package to the nearest Diplomatic Post and also submit a prepaid return courier envelope.

No same-day service, no "deals", no "service after the sale" (if you go to the Diplomatic Posts in Canada and say "I THINK I need a Double Entry Tourist visa" - that's what they'll sell you, wether you actually need it or not. They will not ask you ANY questions or discuss your trip with you at all. They will not give you information on Thailand - where to go, what to see, etc., nor will they ask you how long you will be in Thailand, whether you will be leaving and returning while you are there, or any other question that would give them more information as to what type and number of visa you really require.

This is a very sad blow to all Honourary Consulates-General. We here in Calgary service a Thai community of about 5,000 people. We assist them in filling out forms, obtaining various Canadian documentation, we deal with temporary Thai workers and their various issued, we assist and join the Thai community in celebrating Loi Krathong and Songkhran, assist in arranging for Thai Nationals to obtain Canadian Landed Immigrant status, Canadian citizenship and bringing friends and relatives of theirs to Canada.

We also dispense Thai visas, do certifications (Thai Police Clearance Certificates/certification of documents, both in Alberta and Canada, as well as a vast number of other services. We offer same-day service for persons who require speedy service, dispense information on travelling to Thailand, things to see and visit while there, and, with the assistance of the Ottawa Embassy and Immigration in Thailand, assist Canadians who confront issues such as having their visa stamped incorrectly upon entry, how and where to obtain further Tourist visas, etc.

SO--- for anyone who thinks this is a really good deal, you are greatly mistaken. A Single Entry Tourist visa for Thailand costs $35.00 Canadian - for anybody who is travelling to Thailand, this is chickenfeed - about the same amount that a person would pay for a fairly decent dinner in Calgary!!!

We have submitted letters, facsimiles and e-mails to the Consulate-General in Vancouver, the Embassy in Ottawa and various government departments in Thailand, with no replies and no answers to our queries.

This decision, as well as the previous decision waiving Tourist visa fees for 90 days,has been a great disappointment to us here in Calgary. It seems as if Thailand is attempting to get rid of all Honourary Consulates-General around the world, no matter how helpful and successful they have been in dealing with the visitors to Thailand they issue visas to, the Thai National communities in their areas, developing and assessing current and future business investment in Thailand and assisting whenever requested (and we get "requested" a lot!!).

I realize this is a particularly long post, but this situation is vital to the ongoing existance of all Honourary Consulates-General around the world.

So, don't think that this is simply a cheaper way to visit LOS - it means the closure of a majority of the places around the world that have assisted innumerable visitors to Thailand to ensure that tourists and business people can visit the country safely and that they are aware of the rules, regulations and laws of Thailand.

Sincerely,

Thaical

Rather than complaining that free visas won't really help, how about suggestions for boosting tourism? Here is a couple from me:

-Devalue the baht. Its still too strong against some foreign currencies although the recent BoT intervention has improved things a little. Thailand is way too expensive for a 'cheap destination'.

-Back out the recent tax hike in alcohol. Going out at night for drinks is now expensive (even in Thai bars/clubs).

-Spruce up Sukhumvit. Its very dirty and ugly.

-Improve the situation for long term tourists on tourist visas. Thailand cannot be choosy about what tourists it wants and should accept all. Some of these folks are well monied and Thailand forces them to stay elsewhere rather than spend their money here. Think of those that alternate between Thailand and Cambodia. Let them buy cars and motorbikes.

Why not just give every tourist 60 days free when arriving at the airport? When I go to Malaysia I get 90 days free on arrival. ...

And when I go to Malaysia, even just for the weekend, I get a ten year stay stamped in my passport.

Nothing special, it's just that I applied for the MM2H visa - no big deal - no more difficult to get than a one-year visa for Thailand.

Plus I can (and have) bought freehold property in my own name, imported a car tax-free, there's no CGT, no IHT, no tax on remitted funds, instant hard currency and MYR accounts, money in and out ot the country without comment or delay, reasonable taxis, few rip-offs, varied food, beautiful English spoken, immigration officers who smile and treat you with humour and respect (quick too), and so on and on, almost ad nauseum.

Thailand, you need to wake up. As The Jam said during my formative years: This is the modern world. A global economy with easy, cheap travel. The days of petty, parochial, xenophobic rules are fading.

So now a visa which few poeple want is free. OK, as others have said, it's better than nothing, and I suppose one shouldn't whinge just for the pure bloody pleasure of it (err .... why not? :) ), but really? How much better than nothing is it?

ps One 'downside' of Malaysia is there's no cheap pussy hanging out on every streeet corner. I offer no opinion, but understand this might be a disincentive to some :D

hehehe, nice comment.

Thailand really does need to wake up and realize how "the world" works.

More and more countries around Thailand are becoming more interesting to Tourists and Expats than Thailand, if Thailand doesn't want to go back to being a country people do nothing more than feel petty for and laugh about it is time they relax on their policy regarding foreigners in their country. At the moment they are still at "Put you money in an envelop and send it over here" mentality and other Asian nations are benefiting from it.

Free tourist visas between June 25, 2009 and March 2010

BANGKOK (thaivisa.com): -- Continuing its efforts to expedite the revival of the Thai travel and tourism industry, the Royal Thai government has agreed to exempt the fee for tourist visa applications, effective 25 June 2009 to March 2010.

All foreigners who apply for Tourist Visa at the Royal Thai Embassies and the Royal Thai Consulates-General worldwide will be exempted from tourist visa fee from 25 June 2009 to March B.E.2553 (2010).

Such arrangement is for Tourist Visa single entry only.

-- Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Bangkok 2009-06-24

called the Embassy here in Ottawa Canada June 24 at 1400hrs & they knew nothing about this

I really don't see the point of this.

Do they seriously think that by issuing free tourist visas it is going to increase the number of tourists coming to Thailand?

Firstly, how would any potential tourists even know that the visa was free until they went to apply for one. It's not as though the news of this wonderful freebie is going to be plastered all over the press, radio and TV.

And secondly, once they goe to apply for said visa, they have probably already booked their holiday or their flight, so the fact that it is free will no no way influence their decision to come here.

If this is the best idea they can come with to boost tourism, then they are in for a lean time in the coming months.

Sad but true. Too difficult for this bunch of monkeys to understand anyway.

Continuing its efforts to expedite the revival of the Thai travel and tourism industry, the Royal Thai government has agreed to exempt the fee for tourist visa applications, effective 25 June 2009 to March 2010.

So, for the happy few wishing to tour Thailand between 30 and 60 days you can now travel to your nearest embassy twice to get a free queue ticket to obatain a free stamp.

Sure these decision makers have not envisaged to slightly change the procedure at arrival in stead of a free embassy visit: stamp the passport of people arriving from these 32 countries with a 90 days stamp, that would save the tourist the hassle of making the two trips to the Thai embassy.

OK, must be too easy a solution, Thai thinking helping out here.

I really don't see the point of this.

Do they seriously think that by issuing free tourist visas it is going to increase the number of tourists coming to Thailand?

Firstly, how would any potential tourists even know that the visa was free until they went to apply for one. It's not as though the news of this wonderful freebie is going to be plastered all over the press, radio and TV.

And secondly, once they goe to apply for said visa, they have probably already booked their holiday or their flight, so the fact that it is free will no no way influence their decision to come here.

If this is the best idea they can come with to boost tourism, then they are in for a lean time in the coming months.

I agree. The tourist visa is crap. The beauty of Thailand is one could fly there on a moment's notice from most countries. In my case, I have absolutely no idea when my job contracts end. On seven times, I have booked my flight and taken off with only two days notice or less. And, since I never know when my next job contract would start up, it was nice to have the fairly inexpensive option to do a simple drive thru border run to extend the 30 day on arrival visa. Flexible, yet cheap. Going out of the way to get a Tourist visa in advance had little benefit and cost time and money while in the States to get. And timewise, may not be an option when one is leaving the next day! One isn't always near a Thai embassy or honorary consulate especially on a weekend.

Free Tourist Visa is an OK idea, but it will have little effect.

Also this press release on the MFA website..

Tourist Visa Fee Exempted Until 4 March 2010

June 24, 2009, 6:41 pm

All foreigners who apply for Tourist Visa at the Royal Thai Embassies and the Royal Thai

Consulates-General worldwide, including eligible foreigners who apply for Visa on Arrival at designated

checkpoints, will be exempted from Tourist Visa fee from 25 June 2009 to 4 March 2010. Such

arrangement is for Tourist visa only.

Source: http://www.mfa.go.th/web/35.php?id=22640

A buddy received a free TV in Manila during the last "Free Visa" offer, but he said at first they tried to charge him. Maybe staff confussion about the rules or some corruption going on. Anyway, its a positive move on behalf of Thailand.

Wonder if we farangs will receive discounts on som tom as well?!? :)

LOL oh my. What a funny place. This will surely alert taxi drivers that tourists have a bit more baht in their pockets so the charge can/ will definitely be inflated and maybe the extra long tour of BKK will be greater before arriving at their final destination. Maybe other "vendors" can increase farang prices to make up for this "discount."

I am a bit puzzled about all of this visa 'stuff'. If you are over 50, you just get a retirement visa, check in every 90 days for free, and renew after one year for 1900 baht....EASY. For you others, don't you work or have a job? I thought most people who are still in the work force get a couple of vacation weeks a year and then back to work, therefore the 30 day FREE visa is enough, and no need for border runs, etc. And, I see no problem with a little criticism where it is due concerning some of the ineptness seen daily here, since it is the ex-pats who provide most of the revenue here.

I see many who are younger than 50 with a myriad of tatoos and earrings wandering around here and I wonder where they got their money??? If wealthy, they can still get a one year visa, or are they 'running' from something else?

What kind of deluded idiots think that a free visa is the answer to the revival of the tourist industry? The complete lack of thought process in government here never ceases to amaze me.

I would be interested to know how effective the previous 'free visa' strategy was before... any figures out there?

The Thai government ofcourse, who else would bring you such feces!

How long exactly is a "tourist visa" 30 days 60 days??? I usually get a Non O but I only ever stay 60-90 days per time so it may be worth remembering this for my next trip.

Tourist visa is for 60 days, then you can get a 30 extention inside the country for another 30 days for , so for those that need help with the math, that is 90 days total.

Going back through this topic the amazing thing to me is the number of people that seem to think that the entire world can enter Thailand without a visa and get a 30 day stay.

There are only 39 courtries on the list for visa exempt entries. There are 22 others that can get a visa on arrival and get a 15 day stay after applying for it and normally paying 1000 baht. Plus 12 others that can enter on a bilateral agreement (some of these get 90 days). Source: http://www.mfa.go.th/internet/document/ChartVisa.pdf

The others out of 203 countries in the world not listed must get a visa before leaving their country. Many of these and some on the list for VOA only get a 30 day entry with a tourist visa.

How long exactly is a "tourist visa" 30 days 60 days??? I usually get a Non O but I only ever stay 60-90 days per time so it may be worth remembering this for my next trip.

Tourist visa is for 60 days, then you can get a 30 extention inside the country for another 30 days for , so for those that need help with the math, that is 90 days total.

Note that an extension is not free, it costs 1,900 baht.

The official announcements regarding free tourist visas are now showing up on some Thai Embassies and Consulates websites. Here is one example attached.

It has been showing on the Tokyo website at least since yesterday both on the main page as New info http://www.thaiembassy.jp/rte2/

And on the announcement page http://www.thaiembassy.jp/rte2/content/view/571

post-44962-1245895195_thumb.png

:) We actually will attract more of "the BOTTOM OF THE BARREL" YUCK!

Hmmmmmm so do you think that perhaps that's the reason why so many long stayers are attacking this innocuous little promotion with such venom?

Perhaps you are right. Perhaps all the "scumbags" in Pattaya should be rounded up and shipped out and all the ladies should be sent back to Isaan or wherever to grow rice? Then Pattaya could go back to being a fishing village and a wonderful place to live for the oh so honourable few?

it is free, take it (one step forward)

how will they recoup the (small) loss to make a killing ? an exit tax ? (two steps backwards) :D

The best good news i ever had is when khun Anand got rid of the 'tax clearance certificate' that was required when leaving the country, remember that ? :)

All foreigners who apply for Tourist Visa at the Royal Thai Embassies and the Royal Thai

Consulates-General worldwide, including eligible foreigners who apply for Visa on Arrival at designated

checkpoints, will be exempted from Tourist Visa fee from 25 June 2009 to 4 March 2010. Such

Ubonjoe, please let us know when you hear the first report from Vientiane. I see in the OP it was stated "for single entry only". I wonder what will be the deal with 2 and 3 entry tourist visas from Vientiane during this new, much longer free visa period. I hope they don't close it down there due to lack of fees.

They were very accommodationg during the 3 month free period just finished, but will they be as forthcoming during a 9 month no fee period???

Edited by tropo

Ubonjoe, please let us know when you hear the first report from Vientiane. I see in the OP it was stated "for single entry only". I wonder what will be the deal with 2 and 3 entry tourist visas from Vientiane during this new, much longer free visa period. I hope they don't close it down there due to lack of fees.

They were very accommodationg during the 3 month free period just finished, but will they be as forthcoming during a 9 month no fee period???

We might even hear something today. There is good chance that somebody got a surprise when they went for their visa today and will give us a report.