Fortuner - Benzine Or Diesel?

Drove my friend's Fortuner turbo diesel from Chiang Rai to Chang Mai after he purchased a motorcycle. He left before me and, having pulled an unscheduled stop, watched as I flew by at 130km. I drove aggressively trying to catch up to him for half the journey then figured out I must have passed him along the way.

I was impressed with the power and smoothness of the turbo diesel - felt just like a gasoline engine and just as quiet. Handled tight and smooth.

Only drawback is the stupid center console that cramps the driver.

Otherwise thumbs up.

• 2 months later...

Well, you pays yer money and you takes yer choice.

I drive an original Benzine AWD Fortuner March 2005 model and I am well satisfied with it. I get 10.4 km/l on Gasahol 91. It is still on the original tyres, brake pads and brake linings at 104,000 kms. Only problem in that time has been a dead battery at 3 years (a good life for any battery in ther tropics) and water in the front passenger footwell which was caused by a blocked AC condensate drain. That was fixed under warranty since it required seats and carpets to be removed and I argued that it was a design fault in positioning the drain outlet where it could be blocked by wet leaves thrown up from the road surface.

The reason that I choose to drive a big SUV rather than a smaller saloon is that I need to carry mixed loads of passengers and cargo often over long distances when touring and the Fortuner does that very well. The All Wheel Drive enables it to out corner may other vehicles because although mine has an Auto box the shift is sequential so one can easily gear down into second for tight bends and balance the car with power whilst the opposition charging up the outside are hanging on the brakes still in top gear! The low ration gearbox proves to be useful for off road excursions often found when touring in Thailand.

I know Diesel Fortuner owners who have higher fuel consumption than me simply because of the way they drive. The national speed limit is 90 kms/hr which is universally ignored but if you choose to roar everywhere at 140/160 then expect higher fuel bills. Most drivers say they drive faster to get where they are going sooner yet cannot really explain why they need to do so. The secret to covering longer distances quickly, smoothly and without stress is to read the road and try to maintain a constant speed not braking and accelerating and making risky overtaking manouvers for liitle gain.

Disels are envoronmentally unfriendly given the number I see parked at fuel stops and car parks with the engine idling. The extra power comes only at the expense of turbo charging which is an uneccessary complication.

That said, both Gas and Diesel rely on on fossil fuels but the move toward bio-fuels will go some way to reduce that but at what cost to the agricultural sector?

I don't have a 'down' on diesels, in fact, if I spent more time 'off roading' then a Manual/Diesel Fortuner would be my choice.

You pays yer money and you takes yer choice!

Peterhe...

You dont know much about engines, do you?

There are many questionable remarks in your post, I singeld this out:

"Disels are envoronmentally unfriendly given the number I see parked at fuel stops and car parks with the engine idling. The extra power comes only at the expense of turbo charging which is an uneccessary complication."

1. All cars idling while parked are enviromentally unfriendly, but how come you think only diesels do it? The main reason to do it in Thailand is to be able to run A/C.

2. Turbo gharging diesels are great, and not complicated at all. Its the reason for my 2.0Lit Captiva has More power and torque than the 2.4 Lit Benzine Captiva.

3. Diesels are more economical as they use 33%- 50% less fuel than a Benzine engine at the sam power out take. You wont see any commercial trucks running on Benzine outside the US, and they are starting to get smarter there too!

Tommy

Edited by 63Tommy1

Both Fortuner models are a good value in Thailand. I was in a hurry and bought a gasoline Fortuner in 2005 ASSUMING that diesel engines in 2005 were similar to the 1980 Mercedes 240D I owned. Boy was I wrong!! I kicked myself for that hasty decision when I had the opportunity to drive a loaner Fortuner from the Toyota dealership. My next door neighbor has a very nice TRD diesel Fortuner and it is NOT noisy, but it certainly has given him more 200 baht speeding tickets as it can move much quicker than my gasoline model. The next Toyota I purchase will be a Diesel. You can PASS slow vehicles with better safety in a Diesel Fortuner in my experience.

Petertheeater says:
I drive an original Benzine AWD Fortuner March 2005 model and I am well satisfied with it. I get 10.4 km/l on Gasahol 91.

I say:

a0d8721455f1e470c3d1f5b68a1272be.jpg

Perhaps at 70 kmh, tailwind and homesick. A carrot in front of the truck too :D:D:D No aircon of course, and high tyre pressure.

At 140 kmh you get 6,5 km/litre with a 2wd. Tested on highway 1400 km. :) 4x4 is 10% worse.