New Nice Restaurant ..le Petit Paris

annabel

I think, Khun Nienke, you are misreading what I took to be nothing more than some amusing playfulness about the fact that these were the only dishes actually described by Khun Annabel in her review. :)

Rasseru, why do you get upset about something that wasn’t addressed at you?

I haven't eaten there yet either. I don't know enough myself to value Khun Annabel's opinions about food, but I liked her enthusiasm and I do value your opinions about people (even though, or perhaps precisely because, you value dogs above humans). And with that, one last :D

Rasseru, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzze!

It’s not the first time that you mention that. I do remember quite clearly when and under what circumstances you said it the first time.

Are you a scorpion, btw?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s not the first time that you mention that. I do remember quite clearly when and under what circumstances you said it the first time.

Are you a scorpion, btw?

I met him. He looks like a human being and, since I like him, he could well be a Scorpio.

BTW, is it true that you value dogs more than humans? If so, I don't blame you, they're so much more reliable.

Edited by MonsieurHulot

Are you a scorpion, btw?

I met him. He looks like a human being and, since I like him, he could well be a Scorpio.

:) You got me there :D

I think, Khun Nienke, you are misreading what I took to be nothing more than some amusing playfulness about the fact that these were the only dishes actually described by Khun Annabel in her review. :D

Rasseru, why do you get upset about something that wasn’t addressed at you?

I haven't eaten there yet either. I don't know enough myself to value Khun Annabel's opinions about food, but I liked her enthusiasm and I do value your opinions about people (even though, or perhaps precisely because, you value dogs above humans). And with that, one last :D

Are you a scorpion, btw?

Ruuuuffff! Ruff! Ruff! . . . . :D

My goodness, Nienke, and there I was trying to be nice! :) What on earth happened? Let's see, beginning at the beginning, no, I was not upset, really, not at all. I was just making an honest comment. Next, I'm not sure what the 'pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzze' is about. I may have mentioned it before, and as you say you remember when I did and so on, I'm ready to believe I did. But I don't remember. Was it something that upset you then? Now? Wasn't meant to be, and if it came across that way, I'm sorry. :D Actually, I meant it as a positive thing, a good thing. I mean, I know I did this time. Since I have no memory of the earlier time that you remember, I have no idea what my intention was then (but it is hard for me to think that it was bad). Finally, no, I am not a scorpion, not in the ordinary sense of the word that I know (but then you know that, so I guess you must be using the word in some way I don't know).

Edited by Rasseru

In that case, I definitely must have misunderstood you and I sincerely apologize. :)

As for the scorpion, your reply cross-posted with my last one. And from the times I've met you, I must admit you do not look like a scorpion. You never know, though. It seems we all come from alien land (as 'they' say). :D :D

. . . And from the times I've met you, I must admit you do not look like a scorpion. . .

In my earlier days, going way back to before I ever met you, I suppose I must have borne a slightly closer resemblance than I do now, carrying, as I then did, some twenty fewer kilograms on my frame! (On the other hand, I did have hair on my head then, which would somewhat detract, I think, from whatever other points of resemblance there might have been.)

Is this a record time of a food topic going off on a tangent? :) Bickering in these food topics is getting a bit tiring and serves no purpose excepting putting members off from joining in with their experiences. Relax ladies & gents and try to be reasonably on topic. :D

Is this a record time of a food topic going off on a tangent? :) Bickering in these food topics is getting a bit tiring and serves no purpose excepting putting members off from joining in with their experiences. Relax ladies & gents and try to be reasonably on topic. :D

Well said, Tywias!

I'm amazed that anyone ventures to post any useful info re. new or good eating places on this board. There appear to be a pack of posters just waiting to pounce on them, ridicule their post and their taste, and generally just ponce around full of their own self-importance!

THis banter howeve does have the effect of keeping the topic current so that people have the chance to read aboutthisinteresting restaurant and consider whether or not to eat there Without it the topic would no doubt end up wherever all the posts that go past page 4 or so end up.

ThaiPaulie, can you compare The Red Lion and Cheap Charlies Fish and Chips?

Also, give the Rose Guest house a try. They serve french fries instead of British chips, but they also use real cod, which is nice. :D

UG, thanks to you continually singing the praises of the fish and chips at the Rose Guest house I went there a couple of weeks ago. I would give them 2 out of 5, nothing special. I'm a Scot, so I know a thing or two about fish and chips.....

Cheers :)

2 out of 5 is pretty poor...care to elaborate why so low?

I don't want to be nasty about this, but I did not really intend to "sing their praises", but I guess that I was not very clear about what I was trying to say. In fact, I did not even think that they were all that good at the Laughing Leprechan and I know that I praised theirs often before they were sold.

What I really meant is that most other Fish and Chips places are so mediocre that they stood out to me because of the real cod and I do enjoy both of them on some level. I can't say the same about many places and, by the way, I think that the UN Irish Pub is pretty much in the same category, but I have not tried Cheerful Charlies or the Red Lion.

By the way, I feel the same way about hamburgers in Chiang Mai and most of the Vietnamese food and French bread that I have tried around here. Most the local Western food is just not as good as at home.

Thaihog, what is important is, can you point us to a better place?

Edited by Ulysses G.

you can ask Phillip ... why it's called "Le Petit Paris" :D

It could be a typo. Are you sure it's not the "Petty Paris" or "Le Petit Pari"? :D

Reason for edit: Add a smiley

:D ...ask Phillip ...maybe he would like to change it to Petty Paris ...? :)

It is on Ratwithi Road ....Up from St. Germain des Pres and before the Irish Pub

I've noticed a pleasant looking French restaurant past the UN Irish Pub and a little past the Chiang Mai Saloon number 2. Could that be it?

If this "Phillip" is p1p - of long ago Chiang Mai Visa fame - please someone, let the rest of us know!

Edited by Ulysses G.

If you like french fries or stewed apples in custard this looks like the place to go
A little bit childish to pin on only one sentence in a review, don't you think? :)

I think, Khun Nienke, you are misreading what I took to be nothing more than some amusing playfulness about the fact that these were the only dishes actually described by Khun Annabel in her review. :D

Thanks Rasseru for appreciating my childish attempt at humour :D

If I read a restaurant review I want to hear about the food not about what a nice guy the owner is, though it is a bonus :D

Annabel's second review was excellent and I'll be interested to give the restaurant a try when I'm back in town

I ate there tonight on Annabel's recommendation. I can confirm that the restaurant does offer beef stew under the name of beef bourgignon although the store had run out before I could order it. I had a carrot/orange soup with was very nice. It tasted homemade. Clearly no Knorr or other canned or powdered shortcuts were used.. I had a pork hungarian goulash ( is the another goulash nationality?)for the main course. It came with 3 boiled potatoes and carrots and strinbeans. The goulash was slightly spicy, rich and very tasty. I did talk to the owner/chef. He is clearly interested in keeping the quality of what he offers at a high level and at a very reasonable price. The soup cost me 85 baht and the goulash was 140 baht. He said his original concept was to offer only french food but that didn't pan out so now he's offering different kinds of falang food including such exotica as sausage & mash and hamburgers. I suspect they will turn out to be high quality offerings as well.

I don't want to be nasty about this, but I did not really intend to "sing their praises", but I guess that I was not very clear about what I was trying to say. In fact, I did not even think that they were all that good at the Laughing Leprechan and I know that I praised theirs often before they were sold.

What I really meant is that most other Fish and Chips places are so mediocre that they stood out to me because of the real cod and I do enjoy both of them on some level. I can't say the same about many places and, by the way, I think that the UN Irish Pub is pretty much in the same category, but I have not tried Cheerful Charlies or the Red Lion.

By the way, I feel the same way about hamburgers in Chiang Mai and most of the Vietnamese food and French bread that I have tried around here. Most the local Western food is just not as good as at home.

Thaihog, what is important is, can you point us to a better place?

Cheerful Charlies is the best in town imho

cozumielto

quote .... I can confirm that the restaurant does offer beef stew under the name of beef bourgignon

great ... and thanks for the info

i will try it soon and if their beef is tender and the veg cooked well ( soft ) i will be a regular customer for sure

ps ... annabeles directions are a little bit off .... but UG almost hit it on the head .

the petite paris is next door ( on the left ) to the chiang mai saloon ..... on ratwithi road .... 100 yards to the left of the un irish bar .... and opposite the wall

ill be there tomorrow, tuesday, wednesday , friday or sometime soon ?

to try the beef bourgignon : )

dave2

the petite paris is next door ( on the left ) to the chiang mai saloon ..... on ratwithi road .... 100 yards to the left of the un irish bar .... and opposite the wall :)

is there 2 CM saloons?.....??..if so.. sweet...

was in Rons place couple of weeks ago on my stagger back to the D2W and hit it as usual about 12-30 after 1 0r 2 in Jucy Ls place...bur maybe my tom tom was off target.

anyway Le Petit P sounds great and worth a go for le Beuf...or perchance le Escargots....eh mai wee as someone once said...

[quote name='Nienke' post='2835274' date='2009-06-28

Thanks Rasseru for appreciating my childish attempt at humour :)

If I read a restaurant review I want to hear about the food not about what a nice guy the owner is, though it is a bonus :D

Annabel's second review was excellent and I'll be interested to give the restaurant a try when I'm back in town

I suppose it wasn't my best day yesterday and I wasn't even aware of it. :D

My apologies to you too, anonymouse. :D

. . . I can also recommend his Coq au Vin....very, very good !!! . . .

Is it real coq au vin, made with a tough old rooster who has been cooked for hours and hours to make him soft and tender and tasty? I was recently shamed, on this very forum, over this very issue. After having raved about the coq au vin at another restaurant in town, I later learned, to my chagrin, and from a real Frenchman on top of that - meaning he would know better than the colonial peasant type I was forced to see that I in fact was! - that what I had been raving about was something quite different, something that, for lack of a better term, I have taken to calling 'hen au vin' and that, as you may guess from that awkward term, is made, not from a rooster (I am tempted to use the French term here, but it would, I am afraid, begin to sound a little salacious) but a hen (don't have enough knowledge even to make a choice between using the English and French words), and a young and tender one at that. This dish talked the talk of coq au vin, and fooled me, but it did not walk the walk, as it were.

So, Khun Annabel, do you know and will you share?

(I should perhaps mention that I have every intention of going to check out the restaurant soon, regardless of what your answer is, but I am curious.)

[quote name='Nienke' post='2835274' date='2009-06-28

Thanks Rasseru for appreciating my childish attempt at humour :)

I suppose it wasn't my best day yesterday and I wasn't even aware of it. :D

My apologies to you too, anonymouse. :D

No need to apologise Nienke,

Have we established yet if this is Phillip of Jaberwocky sausages fame?

I went to Le Petite Paris with breakfast in mind.

Foolish me!

What can I say to start off on a positive note?

Well, the food is better than Mad Dog's.

You read this opening and (surely?) can't help but feel that what follows will be a string of damning negatives. Other than the comment that "the orange juice came from a carton" (oh, the horror :) ).......... there aren't any; "Food was decently served, with generous portions. There's nothing wrong with the food, nothing at all", "food is pleasant and prices are reasonable"........... Sounds like a place worth knowing about.

The damning negatives are reserved for the OP - which seems to be the point of the post...... along with dark hints of a darker conspiracy :D . BTW, just why do some people feel the need to announce the fact that they have added a TV member to their personal "Ignore User List"? Given that this member's ignoring already includes the fact that Annabel is not a "him", hard to see what difference the move will make............

You read this opening and (surely?) can't help but feel that what follows will be a string of damning negatives. Other than the comment that "the orange juice came from a carton" (oh, the horror :) ).......... there aren't any . . .

That is simply not true, Steve2UK. Oneman went on, in the middle of some of the 'non-negatives' you quoted, to make this point:

. . . But it is nothing special.

Nothing you can't get at about 50 other restaurants in Chiangmai at the same hour of the day.

Certainly nothing to merit the gushing review in the OP on this thread.

It may not be quite strong enough to qualify as a 'damning negative' of the kind you were expecting, but it is an important point, and was the core point that Oneman was writing to make, I think. I thought his review was quite fairly presented, and I appreciate his posting it.

Having said that, Oneman made what I think was a mistake in going to this restaurant for breakfast. If I were interested in a restaurant based on the reputation of its principal chef, I would certainly not go there in the morning, at least not unless I knew for certain that the chef was in the kitchen at that time. I would expect the principal chef of a restaurant to be responsible for its dinners and, perhaps, lunches, but not to be there first thing in the morning making breakfasts as well.

I appreciate Oneman's report on his experience, but this man has the final word on what he likes, and this man still intends to visit and check it out for himself one of these days. :D

In the meantime, he would still very much like to know, with the help of Annabel or anyone else, if what is served there as coq au vin really is.

I went to Le Petite Paris with breakfast in mind.

Foolish me!

What can I say to start off on a positive note?

Well, the food is better than Mad Dog's.

The food was pleasant enough, although the orange juice came from a carton.

Food was decently served, with generous portions.

There's nothing wrong with the food, nothing at all.

But it is nothing special.

Nothing you can't get at about 50 other restaurants in Chiangmai at the same hour of the day.

Certainly nothing to merit the gushing review in the OP on this thread.

I was foolish to follow advice of someone who couldn't even write one coherent sentence, let alone a thorough review.

I was foolish to depend for a recommendation on someone who is not even able to provide clear and accurate directions.

And I was foolish to depend on a review based on two orders of french fries and an apple custard.

Foolish, yes, but I had plenty of company ...

After finishing my plate, I lingered over my second cuppa, observing a steady stream of expats arriving.

The steady stream of arrivals suggests that Annabel's post had the desired effect.

Each arriving expat appeared to be first-time at Le Petite Paris -- with that uncertain look of where to sit.

And, of course, each expat studiously avoiding looking at or acknowledging each other: Chiangmai Rules, don't you know.

Would I return to eat there again?

Yes, if I was in the neighborhood: food is pleasant and prices are reasonable.

What I would not do is jump on the Honda Dream and drive 20 minutes, just to eat at Le Petite Paris.

So, I'm trying to figure out why that over-the-top review from the OP.

I have a hunch, but it is very politically IN-correct, so I dare not post it here.

Let's just say that this forum is becoming an active venue for certain diversity groups boosting each other.

I think it's called "solidarity", but no need to mention any specifics.

For myself, I have just added "Annabel" to my "Ignore User List".

In future, I won't even see any more of his reviews.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

criticise the restaurant by all means but having a pop at the OP's grammar and punctuation? pretty poor form and quite unnecessary.

I went last night - had a very nicely prepared roast pork dinner with mashed potatoes and veggies for 140b. It was good, the atmosphere was very pleasant and the owner seemed genuinely interested in providing a good experience. I went in at about 10 pm and had no problem getting a meal, which for night owls like myself, can sometimes present challenges.

I would recommend it.

Oneman - why so nasty?

criticise the restaurant by all means but having a pop at the OP's grammar and punctuation? pretty poor form and quite unnecessary.

And I fully agree. Flaming and making accusations of the OP's intentions is what destroys these topics. This comment from Rasseru is most appropriate.

I appreciate Oneman's report on his experience, but this man has the final word on what he likes, and this man still intends to visit and check it out for himself one of these days

Phillip is a great guy and super host who will personally attend to your needs and even special requests...

Last time I was there his name was Roger. Maybe he wanted to add a little french "savoir faire" to his image. :)

Anyway, he is a great guy.

Hi guys

stewed apple is 'very' French, called 'compote' and available

in all French supermarkets with the yoghurts, very poplular

for school packed lunches. Custard is also a traditional French food.

French hen would be a 'Poule' or 'Poulet' when used in cooking.

Google gave me 599,000 hits for Poulet au vin and 633,000 for Coq au vin . . .

so not much in it really. I'd guess 95% of Coq au vin in French restos would be

common all garden Chicken!

Bon appetite!

David

Chiangmai

Quite right! Many posters on TV do not have the luxury

as English as their first language!

David