Losing Your Uk Cards In Los?

I have recently lost my cards in LoS (unfortunatley it was the first time they had all been together for months). I would have been stuffed if my dear mother had not passed money over via western union. She has been repaid, I had to travel home to do this. My bank would not send the cards to Thailand (lloyds account).

The next time I visit LoS (very soon) I will be hoping to stay much longer. The same situation cannot happen again. How do I avoid this?

B

I have recently lost my cards in LoS (unfortunatley it was the first time they had all been together for months). I would have been stuffed if my dear mother had not passed money over via western union. She has been repaid, I had to travel home to do this. My bank would not send the cards to Thailand (lloyds account).

The next time I visit LoS (very soon) I will be hoping to stay much longer. The same situation cannot happen again. How do I avoid this?

B

By not allowing your cards to have another reunion! :o

by not putting all your eggs in one basket. The usual common sense stuff...

Bring cash and cards. Divide your cash and keep it safely. If you must have one card on you, keep another one as safely as possible in your room. Never have more than you can afford to lose on you. Get travel insurance to cover as much cash loss as possible for the duration of your stay. Don't accept drinks from strangers (unless it's a 1989 Dom Perignon) etc. etc.

It mother can send cash why not cards?

Keep a bank account in Thailand.

Have a wire transfer agreement on file with your bank.

Use a bank that will send cards.

Transfer money via Internet into mothers account for forwarding to you.

Have a credit card backup that can be replaced in Thailand. My cards have been mailed to Thailand for the last 10 years so not all refuse to mail here.

Have some money in travelers checks for short term if none of the above is doable (but make sure they have a good history of fast replacement - understand some from UK are very slow to approve).

B

Because of safety reasons, banks don't send bankcards abroad. I had the same problem, with just 1 card though.

They will send the card to your homeaddress. A friend sent it over to Thailand by courier. simple as that.

Make sure someone has the key..... :o

LaoPo

Because of safety reasons, banks don't send bankcards abroad. I had the same problem, with just 1 card though.

They will send the card to your homeaddress. A friend sent it over to Thailand by courier. simple as that.

Make sure someone has the key..... :o

LaoPo

Some banks. Others will mail overseas.

Have a credit card backup that can be replaced in Thailand.  My cards have been mailed to Thailand for the last 10 years so not all refuse to mail here.

Have some money in travelers checks for short term if none of the above is doable (but make sure they have a good history of fast replacement - understand some from UK are very slow to approve).

Spot on advice from Lopburi. :D

Re Travellers Cheques.Last year I "lost" about £3K.worth of AMEX T.Cs and they were replaced within a couple of days.

Importent however that when you buy them that you keep a hold of the numbers with telephone contacts.(does anyone do that?)and dont keep in wallet with the cheques.

Assume other suppliers as good ...Tommy Cooks,Banks etc.but as said cant fault the old AMEX for service. :D

Nothing worse than getting stuck without any dosh in LOS.

You SEE things in a very different perspective. :o

And

If you are here for any length of time..ie. 1 month+ get the Royal Mail to redirect your post, assuming you have an address that is not an Hotel!!..Cards and anything else will arrive...Does not mean of course that the Apartment Block will not lose the mail...

If you have an Amex card (Credit or Charge), you can obtain a replacement temporary card at the Amex Office in Ari within 24 hours. Other banks and card issuers offer similar emergency card replacement services. Perhaps look at alternative card providers, it might also save you money.

In what manor did you lose the cards?

In Chumpon. I got off the ferry, asked which bus was mine, was asked to show my ticket, got wallet out, showed ticket, was directed to bus that was leave shortly, ran for bus, got bus, got of bus at train station, got on motorbike taxi to Ranong minibus stop, went to pay for taxi, no wallet, no money, it was friday afternoon and the Western Union was closed for the weekend. I was already on overstay!

It was the first time I had had all my eggs in one basket for over three months!

I manged to survive for three nights until the banks opened on monday morning, and to my relief, my money had turned up from the UK.

Not a nice experience, but an experience none the less.

Have a credit card backup that can be replaced in Thailand.  My cards have been mailed to Thailand for the last 10 years so not all refuse to mail here.

Spot on advice from Lopburi. :D

Re Travellers Cheques.Last year I "lost" about £3K.worth of AMEX T.Cs and they were replaced within a couple of days.

Importent however that when you buy them that you keep a hold of the numbers with telephone contacts.(does anyone do that?)and dont keep in wallet with the cheques.

Assume other suppliers as good ...Tommy Cooks,Banks etc.but as said cant fault the old AMEX for service. :D

Nothing worse than getting stuck without any dosh in LOS.

You SEE things in a very different perspective. :o

Yup, I think a large amount of amex t.cs will be may backup on my next visit.

Thanks all

B

PS Some Thai's were very helpful, One in particular was the opposite!

Edited by booma

• 2 weeks later...

B

If you are bothered about losing your cards / getting replacements why not get insurance? Some accounts include this for free, or you can purchase separately. My policy will replace my cards worldwide, give emergency cash, contact banks on my behalf, etc. They even cover my Kasikorn ATM card, which rather surprised me. I've never lost my cards so I don't know how well it works, but I guess it must!