Chlorpheniramine - Is It Safe To Use

balo

A Thai friend of mine told me to buy Chlorpheniramine tablets for treatment of an allergic reaction I have on my legs .

So never heard about this drug before , is it safe to use?

Chlorpheniramine relieves red, itchy, watery eyes; sneezing; itchy nose or throat; and runny nose caused by allergies, hay fever, and the common cold. Chlorpheniramine helps control the symptoms of cold or allergies but will not treat the cause of the symptoms or speed recovery. Chlorpheniramine is in a class of medications called antihistamines. It works by blocking the action of histamine, a substance in the body that causes allergic symptoms.

Full details here

It is an old line drug and dirt cheap here - normal dose I believe is one every four hours - but believe most doctors now prescribe Zyrtec (Cotirizine dihydrochloride) 10mg one a day.

I always had extreme dry mouth from Chlorpheniramine but have no problem from Zyrtec.

But my use is to stop runny nose of cold or allergy.

I've used it 3-4 times a week for about 20 years. Never had any side effects (I think drowsiness is one), it works quickly and in Thailand is remarkably cheap. I've got around a thousand tablets still (stocked p before we left the 'kok). I find that one is enough a day, never had to take them every couple of hours, so, in my opinion they are great.

I've used it 3-4 times a week for about 20 years. Never had any side effects (I think drowsiness is one), it works quickly and in Thailand is remarkably cheap. I've got around a thousand tablets still (stocked p before we left the 'kok). I find that one is enough a day, never had to take them every couple of hours, so, in my opinion they are great.

Thanks , its only 30 Baht for a box I think so its very cheap.

I was just worried about any side effects, will buy one today.

It is safe but may cause drowsiness, should not drive after taking and also should not mix with alcohol

if it doesn't do the trick or if you need an antihistimine that does not cause drowsiness there are newer drugs e.g. zyrtec, but they do cost more

in america it went by brand name chlor trimeton... i love it; but makes u sleepy and dried out. great for instant allergy releif; i sometimes use half a tab on my kid when she is having a severe allergy to the horses she rides as she is also already getting other stuff (not contraindicative but not recommended either) for asthma/allergy... chlortrimeton (ahiston in israel , part of the famous 'tiffy cold medicine the thais love) is very quick acting, for me it also wears off quickly, really good for some one -off 'getting the allergy before it accelerates' stuff...

can also be used on many mammals (goats, dogs) for emergency allergy reactions....the dosage used should be for as with children... just for general knowlege

bina

israel