Large Cc Motorcycles On Expressways

Viper

As far as im am aware the law states that no motorcycles are allowed on any express way or motorway in Thailand. I agree its would be very dangerous to

allow then silly mopeds with mum dad grandma grandad and the kids all hanging on with no helmets on.

I would very much like to see the law relaxed a little bit allowing high power motor cycle 600cc and above. Most high power motorcycle riders are

responsible and safe in Thailand and the vehicle is certainly capable of keeping up with traffic speed. Does anyone have any views on this, and

how would one go about making this point in parliament?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Until quite recently bikes over 150cc's could not be sold legally in Thailand. Consequently, the ban on bikes on the freeway made perfect sense. Bikes that were big enough to ride on the freeway weren't legal & so there was no reason the change the laws to accommodate them. Recently we have started seeing larger bikes here, both legal ones like the Honda Phantom and gray market bikes. Hopefully, the law will start to differentiate between the little scooters that should stay off the freeway and the 200cc & larger bikes that can keep up with cars!

As far as im am aware the law states that no motorcycles are allowed on any express way or motorway in Thailand. I agree its would be very dangerous to

allow then silly mopeds with mum dad grandma grandad and the kids all hanging on with no helmets on.

I would very much like to see the law relaxed a little bit allowing high power motor cycle 600cc and above. Most high power motorcycle riders are

responsible and safe in Thailand and the vehicle is certainly capable of keeping up with traffic speed. Does anyone have any views on this, and

i can sort of understand the logic of not letting 125cc bikes on "express ways or motorways" except i find in terms of speed and traffic density hard to square this with such "superhighways as the 11 or the 1 where busses and trucks thunder down the road at 100k+ and 125cc bikes laden with a family buzz up and down each carrageway in each direction.

My logic therefore says let them onto the motorways so there is little chance of it happening, what do i know.

you yourself OP may be smart enough and responsible enough to be able to ride safely on the motorways, but please just imagine the mess that a lot of people would make if they were permitted to ride on these roads. I think that no bikes should be permitted on motorways regardless of size, because motorways are the nicest roads to be on while driving a car, no bikes around to dodge. imagine the death rate! :)

you yourself OP may be smart enough and responsible enough to be able to ride safely on the motorways, but please just imagine the mess that a lot of people would make if they were permitted to ride on these roads. I think that no bikes should be permitted on motorways regardless of size, because motorways are the nicest roads to be on while driving a car, no bikes around to dodge. imagine the death rate! :)

It seems other countries are able to have motorcycles on the expressways, so I'm not sure what your problem is. I agree that having a bunch of Honda Waves on the expressway would be a bad idea since they cannot keep up with traffic. But with big bikes, there shouldn't be a problem. Having a law that permits 250 cc bikes or higher would be okay.

I think to recall that about 2 years ago there was a law proposal to allow bikes above a certain cylinder content on the motorways,don't know what happened to that proposal.I think it would be a good idea however I myself would pass my right to drive on the express ways in Bangkok.

When I'm in the car and I see those police men on their bike on the express way I always think they are very brave people.

I too would support it if the authorities allowed bikes of 250 cc or larger to ride the expressways. The situation in Thailand is skewed from the way it is in the rest of the world. Everywhere else, where the government doesn't tax the crap out of all cars, even poor people can afford cars. People on bikes are on bikes because they want to be. In Thailand, most people can't afford cars, so the motorcycle is the basic means of transportation.

In the States, and in the rest of the world, the bikes aren't the ones slowing traffic down. The bikes are the ones most likely to be whizzing by you in a blur. In fact, California has tried to encourage motorcycles by allowing them to ride in the carpool lanes, allowing them to split lanes, and offering special motorcycles only parking.

My problem in Thailand is that the clowns with the old and small cc bikes are everywhere. If you can differentiate the big bikes from the small cc scooters, that would be great for the expressways.

It is a wonder that I could put my 150hp, 1,000,000+ Baht bike on the back of a poorly maintained 60hp, 50,000 Baht truck, take it on the expressway, and drive at 50km/hr in the fast lane without any ramifications, yet I can't take that bike on its own. It's also a sham that you're not even allowed to ride it under the tollway from Don Muang to Din Daeng, not that it stops me from doing so, but are supposed to ride along in the left hand most lane, dodging the trucks and buses pulling out from side roads. I would set the limit at 400cc, as the Philippines does. I'm surprised that the growing number of big bikers in Thailand haven't arranged some sort of protest. Especially the Pattaya brigade. Imagine the time you could cut off a trip to Bangkok, or the south, by being able to use the expressways.

It is, unfortunately, no wonder, that sad, small minded individuals who lack the self confidence needed to trust themselves with a motorcycle, feel the need to post bullshit whenever a motorcycling thread comes up. What's with these people? I don't feel the need to make disparaging posts in their threads on practical shoelace collecting, monkey spanking, or dolphin waxing. It must take a certain small mindedness to go to the trouble of making a post in a thread that doesn't interest you what so ever. Yes, I ride a big bike, in fact I own six of them, including a couple that I have legally owned in Thailand for 20 years. Bang goes the "Up till a few years ago, it was illegal to own a bike over 150cc" post. As you may have gathered from this post, I'm still alive too, despite those 20 years. Yes, it may be considered dangerous, but you can lessen the danger with good riding practices and safety equipment. Yes, it may kill me some day, but I could just as easily have been a passenger on one of the buses, planes and trains that have crashed and killed thousands over that same 20 years. No doubt tempting fate, I'm off for a ride. If you don't hear from me again, feel free to be smug.

Having ridden large capacity bikes on Expressways in other countries, and a small capacity bike on non-Expressways here - I reckon the Expressways are the safer option for bikes.

Anything over 250 cc should be able to keep up with cars, and bigger bikes have the power and braking to keep out of trouble if ridden well.

Is there any sort of Thai motoring or biking association who could help to lobby for changes in the law?

I don't think a small group of foreigners will have much chance of getting a law changed.

There is a good reason not to allow the little 125 cc bikes on the super highways. But, I do believe that motorcycles over 400 cc should be allowed. A vehicle of any sort should be able to maintain highway speeds without causing traffic jambs. That is why we don't want farm vehicles on the super highways either.

go to pattaya

you couldn't pay me enough to ride/drive a bike on an express way in Thailand and this has nothing to do with being small minded, it has more to do with wanting to live

Not only that, but Thais treat motorcycles like bycicles, riding in and out of traffic etc etc. Thais will not have ANY regard to saftey at all. There will be fatalities every 10 minutes or so....

After a while, Thailand would have a population issue on their hands.

It seems other countries are able to have motorcycles on the expressways, so I'm not sure what your problem is. I agree that having a bunch of Honda Waves on the expressway would be a bad idea since they cannot keep up with traffic. But with big bikes, there shouldn't be a problem. Having a law that permits 250 cc bikes or higher would be okay.

the problem is that the average Somchai will just change lanes without looking in his mirrors. ride the wrong direction to save fuel. not have working lights at night time.

I dont think I need to say anymore!

the problem is that the average Somchai will just change lanes without looking in his mirrors. ride the wrong direction to save fuel. not have working lights at night time.

I dont think I need to say anymore!

Yet it's okay for "average Somchai" to get in his beaten up old truck, with one headlight facing to the moon and the other lined up to blind oncoming drivers, no seatbelts, brakes last serviced when Prem was PM, pile the family onto the back and crab along the expressway with the front pointing 45 degrees to the direction of travel? Get real. How many average Somchai's own big bikes? How many big bikes are there in the country? Do you really think the expressways will become crowded with lane changing idiots riding the wrong way? You'll find the vast majority of big bike riders in Thailand are the safest road users. We have to be, with so many car driving idiots around.

Edited by ballpoint

you couldn't pay me enough to ride/drive a bike on an express way in Thailand and this has nothing to do with being small minded, it has more to do with wanting to live

Not only that, but Thais treat motorcycles like bycicles, riding in and out of traffic etc etc. Thais will not have ANY regard to saftey at all. There will be fatalities every 10 minutes or so....

After a while, Thailand would have a population issue on their hands.

I have two questions for you:

Why are expressways particularly dangerous, as compared to highways 1 and 2, for instance?

How do you manage to use your computer while lying in bed? Do you have the mouse and keyboard on a tray, or a table beside it? I only wonder because, as you are someone who is "wanting to live", I can't see you leaving your bed, let alone your house.